criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

Star Wars The Mandalorian discussion thread

Prev13
Let’s talk about the show

Replies

• lowell
    1933 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Since the service will launch at 3AM PST/6AM EST with the first episode, I have a question I want to ask some people.

Dave Filoni's directing Episode 1 and Episode 5 and he specifically wrote Episode 5. The writer of Thor Ragnarok and some Rebels episodes, Christopher Yost is co-writing Episode 6.

Those that currently hate and/or never watched the animated shows, since Filoni's bringing what he knows from animation and George's mentorship of him to the Mandalorian, if the entire run of the Mandalorian turns out to be good but a factor of its success would be due to influence from TCW, Rebels, and Resistance, would you start liking or even finally start binging the animated shows on Disney+ at all or your actions now would still stand?

https://directories.wga.org/project/1185542/the-mandalorian/

https://makingstarwars.net/2018/10/the-star-wars-the-mandalorian-directors-and-which-episode-numbers-they-will-be-directing/
  • lowell wrote: »
    Since the service will launch at 3AM PST/6AM EST with the first episode, I have a question I want to ask some people.

Dave Filoni's directing Episode 1 and Episode 5 and he specifically wrote Episode 5. The writer of Thor Ragnarok and some Rebels episodes, Christopher Yost is co-writing Episode 6.

Those that currently hate and/or never watched the animated shows, since Filoni's bringing what he knows from animation and George's mentorship of him to the Mandalorian, if the entire run of the Mandalorian turns out to be good but a factor of its success would be due to influence from TCW, Rebels, and Resistance, would you start liking or even finally start binging the animated shows on Disney+ at all or your actions now would still stand?

https://directories.wga.org/project/1185542/the-mandalorian/

https://makingstarwars.net/2018/10/the-star-wars-the-mandalorian-directors-and-which-episode-numbers-they-will-be-directing/

I doubt anything would convince them that TCW and Rebels are not “kiddy cartoons”.

Some people just think animation can’t be for adults.
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png
  • I saw the first episode and it is good so far!
    Video games, music and movies for life!
  • The first episode is amazing. Best Disney addition to Star Wars since Rogue 1.
  • First episode was great. Very compelling and cant wait for more
  • Just curious, do you guys prefer the mandalorian episode 1 over TFA and TLJ
  • klza2uitqv80.jpeg
    Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png

Honestly, this series might turn out to be the post-OT successor to the Mandalorian arcs that we got in TCW (Season 7 in February closes out the rule of Maul in February and allows Imperial occupation to happen) and Rebels.

I'm getting some signals that what was done in Season 3 and 4 of Rebels for Sabine, her family, and Mandalore overall was setting up part of this series.

And it's still rumored Katee Sackhoff will portray Bo-Katan in live-action in the show eventually.

I wondered if he was writing the scripts for Season 1 when Rebels Season 3 aired and if there's potential for the Darksaber to end up in the hands of the Mandalorian?

Also, there will be more Mandalorians showing up then the individuals we saw yesterday:

b463958c618eee809f25eab160cdd30253712b79bcfec43243578121552c7702.jpg

TBS_heavy_mandalorian.png

Just going off of the first episode, I am much more interested in the story that is going to be told in Mando than the sequels. Granted, part of that is the nature of having multiple hours to tell a detailed story arc with a tv series rather than have to cram as much content as possible into 2.5 hours. However, the concept of a lone gunslinging mandalorian bounty hunting in the outer rim is much more compelling to me than watching Rey defeat/tie the main villain of the sequels (Kylo) AGAIN FOR THE THIRD TIME.
  • Just watched the first episode. The beginning IMO felt slightly boring except for the fight scenes of course, but around the final scenes of the episode that I felt was exciting.
    I’m glad the mandalorian killed IG-11 because he is a mere IG-88 rip off.
    Just curious, do you guys prefer the mandalorian episode 1 over TFA and TLJ

Honestly, this series might turn out to be the post-OT successor to the Mandalorian arcs that we got in TCW (Season 7 in February closes out the rule of Maul in February and allows Imperial occupation to happen) and Rebels.

I'm getting some signals that what was done in Season 3 and 4 of Rebels for Sabine, her family, and Mandalore overall was setting up part of this series.

And it's still rumored Katee Sackhoff will portray Bo-Katan in live-action in the show eventually.

I wondered if he was writing the scripts for Season 1 when Rebels Season 3 aired and if there's potential for the Darksaber to end up in the hands of the Mandalorian?

Also, there will be more Mandalorians showing up then the individuals we saw yesterday:

b463958c618eee809f25eab160cdd30253712b79bcfec43243578121552c7702.jpg

TBS_heavy_mandalorian.png

Wow this heavy infantry mandalorian looks really cool, it could be a skin maybe for the heavy unit, depending which side this mandalorian is on.
  • Lawnmow3rMan
    5098 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    crle05s4cir8.jpg

• I mildly enjoyed it, but it was not in HD and was buffering on the PS4 app the entire time. Frustrating. I will have to cancel Disney + if the next episode plays the same way.
    Boba Fett appears to be in it, but they just hid him in the background. Very weird.
    "Rise."
    Not in the slightest. Me having high expectations was not smart. It reeked of "tv show" as opposed to "feature film," but to be honest I was hoping more for a feature film feel, and didn't get it. I know it's only been one episode, but I am disappointed with the dialogue. It's easy to criticize, and I will be the first to praise the show if it becomes something I really enjoy.
    "Rise."
  • bfloo
    16605 posts Member
    Just watched the first episode. The beginning IMO felt slightly boring except for the fight scenes of course, but around the final scenes of the episode that I felt was exciting.
    I’m glad the mandalorian killed IG-11 because he is a mere IG-88 rip off.

I almost gave up after the 1st 10 minutes as well.

It got better.

It has potential.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Was really impressed by the first episode. Was a slow start, but that ending battle sequence and cliffhanger reveal were amazing.
  • I really enjoyed it. Wasn't expecting feature film quality. Was expecting fun. I got fun.
  • Great way to unwind after work.
  • Awesome episode. I was more interested in this after 40 minutes than 3 hours of TFA and TLJ
    OH MY GOD BABY YODA 97gm01zkufvr.jpg
    I am so hyped to find out what happens
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

It was said that Dave Filoni was often referred to as George Lucas's young padawan. George Lucas even helped out with the rebels show a little bit, he also designed kessel for the first episode of rebels.
  • Episode 2 (maybe I should say Chapter 2 instead) was released today. It will be a weekly Friday release from now on. I'm having fun with all this new star wars stuff: new show, new game, new movie in a month, and going to Disneyland next year to visit Batuu at Galaxy's Edge. Haven't even been to California since Star Tours was new. Good times. :)
    "Rise."
  • The Egg
    Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • Baby Yoda in Episode 9

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• Jawas have to be the greatest species in Star Wars history. I have spoken.
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • Although it's having a slow start, imo, I'm enjoying it so far. Definitely wouldn't watch it if it weren't in the Star Wars universe.
  • lowell
    1933 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    With Paz Vizla (whose action figure I posted up above) and the rest of the Tribe showing up at the end, there's no way that this series won't tie-in with the other stories of Mandalorians in the canon like TCW (Season 7 is almost coming) and Rebels, excluding the Fetts due to George's retcon.

"The Great Purge"= Mandalorians lost the fight to liberate Mandalore from the Empire that was started in Rebels Season 4 and thus had to move underground from then?
    Post edited by lowell on
  • Chapter 3 really took a huge turn of events. I wonder what next for the Mandalorian now that he ticked off that imperial remnant and had bounty hunters on his trail. I’m also interested in that group of mandalorians. I have spoken
  • Dude episode 3 OMG
    when all the mandalorians flew in to save them I freaking lost it lol
  • I confess I watch it illegally, but to be honest I don't feel bad about it. D+ is not available in my region so, why do I have to watch it spoiled one year later? It is a bad move from Disney to release it only on a few countries, even the credits show who are the dubbers for german, french, and both spanish and Latinamerica spanish.
    Thoughts?
  • Dude episode 3 OMG
    when all the mandalorians flew in to save them I freaking lost it lol

I sweated on that part
  • “I have to get me one of those.”

Every episode is getting better than the last. Loving it
  • bfloo
    16605 posts Member
    “I have to get me one of those.”

Every episode is getting better than the last. Loving it

This is the way
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• lowell
    1933 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    SQJACKIE wrote: »
    I confess I watch it illegally, but to be honest I don't feel bad about it. D+ is not available in my region so, why do I have to watch it spoiled one year later? It is a bad move from Disney to release it only on a few countries, even the credits show who are the dubbers for german, french, and both spanish and Latinamerica spanish.
    Thoughts?

Well, there are licensing agreements that haven't ended in some of those regions like Sky in Europe that prevents Disney from releasing the service until those deals end.

Since the Sky deal ends in March next year, Disney+'s Western Europe expansion would be taking over the current DisneyLife in the UK next year.

Also, note Sky's new owner is Comcast (who fought Disney for it in the Fox deal), who just gave Disney operational control of Hulu so there had to be some concessions if you want Hulu to expand internationally in the near future.
  • l35zxt29ymqv.jpg

Lmaooo
    Baby Yoda makes me freaking lose it everytime. Loved how just the little knob he took of the ship played a huge roll. Baby Yoda is the best character to come out of the Sequel Era. I have spoken.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• Finally got to watch the first three episodes. I'm loving it so far. The Mandolorian is pretty cool. And Baby Yoda is honestly the cutest thing.
    "Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul." - Kreia

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone." - Darth Malak

• The Mandalorian is probably the best thing I've seen from the Star wars universe since Rogue One. I really can't think of anything about the show that I don't like.
    Baby Yoda changes the entire show, and the character is amazingly well executed.
    Better album: Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree?
  • Episode three is the best yet. I just wish they had released it all at once. This once per week stuff is outdated.
  • Episode three is the best yet. I just wish they had released it all at once. This once per week stuff is outdated.

IKR. I’m dying to find out what’s next

IKR. I’m dying to find out what’s next

Its rather smart. This way limits spoilers. Makes the show last longer and creates more discussion every week.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• Soooo the baby Yoda....
    what's up with that little guy? Aside from being the cutest thing to ever grace the screen!!

And how is it that somehow even with a helmet on i can literally see and feel Mando emoting.
    Freakin great start to this show the first the three episodes!
    Why do we park in driveways and drive on parkways?
    Why is there handicap parking at skating rinks?
  • Baby Yobama 😎
    98zm2wg0hvzv.jpg
  • When will Cara Dune (Gina Carano) appear in the show?
  • SQJACKIE wrote: »
    When will Cara Dune (Gina Carano) appear in the show?

I believe she will appear in chapter 4
  • My take : Wait what ? Disney actually released a TV series that doesn't suck ? *pinches herself*
    "It's easy if you do it right."
  • lowell
    1933 posts Member
    edited November 2019
    Pretty good episode and the villagers fighting the Klatooinians and their AT-ST Raider reminded me of 2 similar stories in TCW: Jedi and bounty hunters teaching Felucian farmers to fight back against Hondo's gang in "Bounty Hunters" and the Jedi teaching Saw and Steela Gerrera's Onderonian rebellion to fight back against the Separatists in the Onderon arc.

Also, pretty exciting to see the second creature in Star Wars to jump from animation to live-action (they would be the first if you counted Blurrgs instead first appearing live-action in the second Ewok TV movie than TCW being their first appearance ever):

Loth-cats

image_baddce4e.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1920%2C1080&width=960

20y7iywrum62.jpg

Can't wait to see Cara Dune running into the Mandalorian and the Child later if that happens to be the case again.
    Post edited by lowell on