criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

Dark vs Light Balance breakdown

What makes a hero isn’t their dps, health, stamina, but rather, their versatility with their UNIQUE play style. This is essential to making a character good as well as fun to play as. That being why the best villains to date being Grievous, Vader, Palpatine, Maul, Bossk. The factor they all have in common is their ability to use their abilities as well as especially string off them.

Grievous
Thrust can be utilised as an intimidation factor, pursuit tech and a punish for fairly pesky enemies. Although somewhat controversial this ability does indeed play its part in making grievous terrifying. Also resistance during animation. Good ability
Claw Rush is by far the best charge in the game. Perfect for escapes (90% reduction star card compared to the average 40% that every light side character has, Stringed punishment and pursuit tech. As well as an Additional resistance to force powers. Perfect Ability.
Relentless Assault is not only a defence matrix but an intimidation tech and punishing tool that eats stamina away and eats high consistent damage. Contrasted to slow movement, he is buffed with resistance in this animation as well. Perfect ability.

All of his abilities have a resistance duration that make him unpunished and a force only a detonate charge can mitigate. Granted his stamina blocking blasters is awful but it fairly diminishes his OP nature at the moment as a successful hero. Fun and powerful a perfect hero well done dice.

Palpatine uses every ability to practically hurt souls, dead and dying.

Vader is the perfect tank with a game ending choke

Bossk the perfect point taker With grenade spam that is off the chats.

Maul the simple yet perfect striker.

This is when the light side comes in. Whilst the dark the side is at a constant one man army the light must take the dark as a team which is unfortunate as this is evident in heroes like Leia that have no versatility at all.

Leia
E-11 barrage is okay at eliminating enemies and villains alike. The bolts can be deflected though killing her instantly half the time as well as the spread and dps not being rewarding as a middle ability. Okay Ability
Flash grenade is barely anything compared to that of the officers flashbang the not only damages an area but blinds all the same. Bad Ability
ENHANCED Squad shield. Why? The shield more often than not disables her in most situations. How is it enhanced? It would be better if leia could fire from within the shield (non secondary fire and explosive weaponry). This would counter Phasmas play style and leave room for a balanced rivalry. Even if those in the shield gain extra health. The fact that it just serves as a small room in the middle of nowhere makes it unbearable. Trash Ability

Just one example, but the light side need buffs so as to make gameplay fun for everyone.

My opinion not complete facts but definitely somewhat of an issue. I love this game and look forward to replies.

Replies

• The TL;DR is that the light side is pretty one dimensional, aka a little boring. What I have found is that they rely too heavily on Anakin to be competitive. Add to that Obi-wan's and or Rey's mind control cheese and a heavy dose of force push rag dolling/pushing off cliffs. Apart from those things the light side characters are, for the most part, individually weaker, especially blasters...
  • It’s not that I don’t enjoy playing characters from the light side. Eg; Han, Finn, Lando, Yoda to name a few. It’s just that playing these characters you learn that one of their abilities is amazing in combat whilst the others are entirely situational.

Like between Han's Shoulder Charge and Grevious' Claw Rush you can really see the difference between skill and timing. For Han as he is a Glass Cannon the move is entirely situational and most times will often miss (could just be me). But Grievous is so powerful he can even hit behind blocking saber users by just going through them. It’s not a matter between skill and power but rather whoever has the better ability in that situation. Adding a resistance buff to Solo when he enters the charge would ensure that he makes it in or out.

Yoda and the Emperor have a 'significant' power gap between the two in which the dark side makes Yet another win. Between the two 'Support' heroes if I must say, there is a visible difference in their support gameplay. The Emperor requires little to no skill at all with his lightning offering no buffs to his team but debuffing the enemy all the same. On the other hand Yoda as much as he is a small target, he is by far always risky to play as seeming as though the dark side has practically every crowd control ability in the game.

The Emperor is a support hero on steroids which makes it hard for Yoda to be buffed without Emperor mains freaking out despite their upper hand in every fight. Dark Aura slows, damages and cripples enemies.

Yoda happens to only dish out an additional piece of health which is an extremely Delicate ability. Many times have I seen lone Yoda's attempt to use this on themselves only when being ganged and never escape their inevitable demise. Compared to Finn's Big Deal which offers health, blaster cooling and recharge boosting. Yum. Yoda needs something force appropriate to not only be a beloved support similar to Finn but force appropriate.

My idea would be similar to that of his utmost resilience that is displayed in the prequel films.

Presence:
    Additional health provided
    Stamina Drain refreshed (similar to Finn but for saber heroes)
    And a debuff for the villains caught in his presence. Damage is reduced by 50% to enemies caught in his presence. Enemies affected by this will be marked as 'Challenged'. Infantry units will not have this debuff applied as it would be OP.

Mind you this may be powerful but he is a hero And a Grandmaster after all. This can be prevented as it always has with a well timed ability or outplaying move using 'Skill' not spam.

This should leave open an opportunity for the villains to also have A character to support them with a buff. Any Ideas?

• It’s not that I don’t enjoy playing characters from the light side. Eg; Han, Finn, Lando, Yoda to name a few. It’s just that playing these characters you learn that one of their abilities is amazing in combat whilst the others are entirely situational.

Like between Han's Shoulder Charge and Grevious' Claw Rush you can really see the difference between skill and timing. For Han as he is a Glass Cannon the move is entirely situational and most times will often miss (could just be me). But Grievous is so powerful he can even hit behind blocking saber users by just going through them. It’s not a matter between skill and power but rather whoever has the better ability in that situation. Adding a resistance buff to Solo when he enters the charge would ensure that he makes it in or out.

Yoda and the Emperor have a 'significant' power gap between the two in which the dark side makes Yet another win. Between the two 'Support' heroes if I must say, there is a visible difference in their support gameplay. The Emperor requires little to no skill at all with his lightning offering no buffs to his team but debuffing the enemy all the same. On the other hand Yoda as much as he is a small target, he is by far always risky to play as seeming as though the dark side has practically every crowd control ability in the game.

The Emperor is a support hero on steroids which makes it hard for Yoda to be buffed without Emperor mains freaking out despite their upper hand in every fight. Dark Aura slows, damages and cripples enemies.

Yoda happens to only dish out an additional piece of health which is an extremely Delicate ability. Many times have I seen lone Yoda's attempt to use this on themselves only when being ganged and never escape their inevitable demise. Compared to Finn's Big Deal which offers health, blaster cooling and recharge boosting. Yum. Yoda needs something force appropriate to not only be a beloved support similar to Finn but force appropriate.

My idea would be similar to that of his utmost resilience that is displayed in the prequel films.

Presence:
    Additional health provided
    Stamina Drain refreshed (similar to Finn but for saber heroes)
    And a debuff for the villains caught in his presence. Damage is reduced by 50% to enemies caught in his presence. Enemies affected by this will be marked as 'Challenged'. Infantry units will not have this debuff applied as it would be OP.

Mind you this may be powerful but he is a hero And a Grandmaster after all. This can be prevented as it always has with a well timed ability or outplaying move using 'Skill' not spam.

This should leave open an opportunity for the villains to also have A character to support them with a buff. Any Ideas?

Well I agree that Finna and Yoda are support characters, but Palpatine is not. Support means that I have an ability that is designed to "buff" my teammates. Palpatine is an extremely mobile ranged force user. He does damage/damage (unblock-able with star card)/unblock-able damage with a slow/crowd control. He is in a league of his own to be honest.

A problem with supports is that because HvV/ HSD are only a small portion of the game, it is primarily balanced around GA/CS as it should be. With that being said, heroes like Yoda have received nerfs due to their strength in GA/CS without buffs that would help them in HvV/HSD. Presence has went from 200 to 150/70 (troopers), and has to play nice with Finn/Officer buffs now. I personally don't like the idea of support heroes in a game like this, officers fill the role well enough, as they are always going to be weaker because of the team benefit they bring, the more team the more benefit. With that being said, making Yoda more of a hero support instead of trooper support allows him to be brought up to where he should be without breaking him in GA/CS. I suggest the following:

Since they aren't going to massively overhaul anyone at this point in the game, I suggest the following for Yoda.
    -Presence only affects Heroes - Value is returned to 200 up from 150. Presence starts to diminish after 10 seconds up from 8. Presence is an AOE and has a slightly greater radius.
    -Enduring Presence star card doesn't increase the cool down of Presence.
    -Put Dash Attack back to 100/Unblock-able.
    -Opposing the Dark Side star card affects Light Saber dmg as well as Dash Attack. Maxes out at 20 dmg instead of 16.
    -Base range of Unleash is increased by 25%
    -Jedi Mentor dmg reduction increased to 4/8/12/16% from 8% max. Reduces Light Saber and Force Power damage.
    -Size Matters Not star card increases Presence cool down by 10 seconds instead of 13.
    -Replace Earned It I Have star cards with;
    -Increase the enemy stamina drained by blocking Unleash by 25/50/75/100%

This reduces Yoda's power/effect in GA/CS but makes him a more powerful support in HvV/HSD.
  • With your stats noted and as well as his power between both game modes, Rebalancing him to endure the trials of HvV in your experience is the smarter choice of a buff, compared to completely reworking Yoda.

However, I do feel a need for The Dark Side to have a support hero of sort as well as a general buff towards heroes to make them well earned. The community does rapidly wish upon anything powerful to be nerfed rather than opposed in a way.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that heroes need to not be constantly nerfed. It’s getting to the point where I actually consider some as reinforcements as well as some reinforcements being fairly close to the hero (which isn’t bad at all really). But there is a need for a hero working especially on countering currently powerful heroes and villains.
  • Thanks, I wasn't trying to be disagreeable, but I look at the state of Leia and it has turned me into more of a realist as far as heroes changes are concerned in this game...

As for a Dark Side support, I would agree with a "hero support", but again I just don't feel that trooper support fits a hero. Officers just do a great job, and they are free.

I do agree that constant nerfs are unnecessary. Instead of making heroes weaker, they should be a little stronger but cost appreciably more battle points. Leia could cost 2000 battle points and nobody would complain, so sadly some heroes are more expensive reinforcements, not really heroes.

The game does lack a certain finesse as it relates to hero design/balancing. Maybe due to the fact that they are designed for GA/CS primarily. Sometimes I think the heroes would be more interesting if they were designed for HvV and had mostly GA/CS star cards. I think of MOBA's for example, how the heroes handle lane minions/jungle minions is second to how they interact with each other/against other heroes. I think that Battlefront 2 heroes show be designed in a similar way...