criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

Are Light side Heroes still outmatched in HvV?

I put the game down for a while, not sure if I played after the September update. Tried my hand at some good ol' HvV and keep getting steamrolled. Now I can chalk some upnto being rusty, but not this much.

At this point I can't tell if it's just the team of randoms or if there is something else afoot. Figured I'd take it to the community to fill me in on the current state of balance in HvV.

Thanks!

Replies

• Thanks for the info. I'm about the only one left of my friends that play. I know light side always needed extra coordination. Sounds like that is still the same case. We used to smash pretty well back when we all played. It sounds like I need to adjust my expectations now that I'll soley be in random lobbies.

They just announced the return of all the past event challenges. I'll try and stick it through till I unlock everything. I know it's not all HvV, so hopefully that breaks up the steamroll sessions.
  • The Light Side is just unbalanced to be honest. Anakin is a required pick, as he is the only one with a Pull, also has a 4th ability...I would say Obi-wan is such a cheese fest that he is a required pick as well. "Infinite" stamina and RMT make the incoming saber spam mind numbing...They just rely more on cheese like double mind trick, which shouldn't exist to be honest. Hero balance is just all over the place. With that being said, the Dark Side isn't a team fight slouch. The only thing you have to worry about are Mind Tricks since it has crazy range, can't be blocked, and lasts FAR longer than any other for of CC, I repeat far longer...Oh the skillzzzzzzzz...just poor design to be honest... If there is no Anakin or Obi on the team, its a steamroll. Sure skill and player co-ordination reign supreme, but I am referring to more solo play.

1v1 normally is just skill to be honest, if we are talking saber vs saber and blaster vs blaster. There are exceptions, for example, Iden should almost always win a 1v1 vs Light Side blaster. Obi-wan should never loose a duel, as you will never exhaust his stamina 1v1, and he will render your abilities null and void, as well as your dodge (God that has to go...). I thought I hated Phasmas droid or Bossk's mines, but they are actually more tolerable and far more avoidable than RMT and MT to be honest.
  • Had a few real good matches last night on both sides. I guess it was just some pretty bad lobbies getting back into it, specifically on the light side. But for sure, the cheese fest is real. It's a bit unfortunate to have to rely on certain character in order to have a winning chance. i guess I'm just lucky Obi is my all time favorite and that I'm still leveling up Anakin.

Even then, facing off the whole enemy team because the rest of your team is lord-knows-where is never a fun time, regardless of character. Glad to have gotten a few good random lobbies afterword.
  • It’s the same as ever. LS needs to be much more coordinated to win. Dark side is noob friendly and forgiving of mistakes.
  • yoda901 wrote: »
    The Light Side is just unbalanced to be honest. Anakin is a required pick, as he is the only one with a Pull, also has a 4th ability...I would say Obi-wan is such a cheese fest that he is a required pick as well. "Infinite" stamina and RMT make the incoming saber spam mind numbing...They just rely more on cheese like double mind trick, which shouldn't exist to be honest. Hero balance is just all over the place. With that being said, the Dark Side isn't a team fight slouch. The only thing you have to worry about are Mind Tricks since it has crazy range, can't be blocked, and lasts FAR longer than any other for of CC, I repeat far longer...Oh the skillzzzzzzzz...just poor design to be honest... If there is no Anakin or Obi on the team, its a steamroll. Sure skill and player co-ordination reign supreme, but I am referring to more solo play.

1v1 normally is just skill to be honest, if we are talking saber vs saber and blaster vs blaster. There are exceptions, for example, Iden should almost always win a 1v1 vs Light Side blaster. Obi-wan should never loose a duel, as you will never exhaust his stamina 1v1, and he will render your abilities null and void, as well as your dodge (God that has to go...). I thought I hated Phasmas droid or Bossk's mines, but they are actually more tolerable and far more avoidable than RMT and MT to be honest.

Mind tricks are a decent balance against a good palps IMO.
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Palpatine in this thread. If there's a decent Palpatine on the dark side you need someone who can handle him on the light side or your team will be destroyed.

I'm not as knowledgeable as most on all the stats but I've played some great 2 pt matches on both sides.
  • StarLillie wrote: »
    yoda901 wrote: »
    The Light Side is just unbalanced to be honest. Anakin is a required pick, as he is the only one with a Pull, also has a 4th ability...I would say Obi-wan is such a cheese fest that he is a required pick as well. "Infinite" stamina and RMT make the incoming saber spam mind numbing...They just rely more on cheese like double mind trick, which shouldn't exist to be honest. Hero balance is just all over the place. With that being said, the Dark Side isn't a team fight slouch. The only thing you have to worry about are Mind Tricks since it has crazy range, can't be blocked, and lasts FAR longer than any other for of CC, I repeat far longer...Oh the skillzzzzzzzz...just poor design to be honest... If there is no Anakin or Obi on the team, its a steamroll. Sure skill and player co-ordination reign supreme, but I am referring to more solo play.

Mind tricks are a decent balance against a good palps IMO.
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Palpatine in this thread. If there's a decent Palpatine on the dark side you need someone who can handle him on the light side or your team will be destroyed.

I'm not as knowledgeable as most on all the stats but I've played some great 2 pt matches on both sides.

The Mind Trick combo is a cheesy counter to pretty much everything, Boba being somewhat of an exception. I agree, Palps is extremely strong, but that feeds into the OP's question. Without the mind tricks, which can't be blocked, stack, and last forever, the LS would be steamrolled. Playing LS with randoms is rather painful to be honest.
  • DS rolls in HvV. Given equal player skill of course.
  • DiamondxStyles
    2095 posts Member
    edited December 2019

In 1v1s? Lol what? I can defeat any of the best Obi Wans around with any character that isn't Maul or Grievous. Stamina has very little do with winning a 1v1, unless the opponent caught you slipping away from recovery obstacles. I don't need any dodges for 7 seconds to defeat an Obi Wan, no matter how elite they are. I'll render his Mind Trick null and void with hyper sensitivity
    Post edited by DiamondxStyles on

And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . . 

he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars— I love you, Anakin. In life, and in death, we will always be one. I am yours

In 1v1s? Lol what? I can defeat any of the best Obi Wans around with any character that isn't Maul or Grievous. Stamina has very little do with winning a 1v1, unless the opponent caught you slipping away from recovery obstacles. I don't need any dodges for 7 seconds to defeat an Obi Wan, no matter how elite they are. I'll render his Mind Trick null and void with hyper sensitivity

Ok but you are just citing examples of outplaying people. I get first place a lot playing with and against randoms with Yoda, and he isn't strong at all in HvV as an example. Should and Obi player always win, no I will take that back, but should he be an easy kill playing against people of like skill 1v1, not even remotely. A good Obi play know that he will always win the stamina game by a long shot, no one on the dark side is even close. A bad Obi think that stamina doesn't matter.

Ok but you are just citing examples of outplaying people. I get first place a lot playing with and against randoms with Yoda, and he isn't strong at all in HvV as an example. Should and Obi player always win, no I will take that back, but should he be an easy kill playing against people of like skill 1v1, not even remotely. A good Obi play know that he will always win the stamina game by a long shot, no one on the dark side is even close. A bad Obi think that stamina doesn't matter.

I fight elite Obi Wans' often. Of course it's outplaying them, but that is the pretense of winning. I agree with what you said now; yeah, nobody is an easy kill if they are skilled players, and an Obi Wan can almost turtle indefinitely. So in terms of being an "easy kill", he can often draw it out far longer than any other character, but that doesn't mean he's going to do anything without being offensive. He may not die, but he isn't going to win any.

A bad Obi thinks stamina doesn't matter why?

I proclaim that stamina doesn't matter. Why? Because as Obi Wan he gains it back so effortlessly. I can be an offensive machine and regen within a second either using AoP as utility or simply Defensive rushing or dashing.

If you're tryna outlast opponents in a 1v1 by winning the stamina game, then I posit you're doing it ALL totally wrong. I'd rather outplay my opponent on the offensive than stalemate for 5 minutes when i know I'm reflexively superior to anyone I've ever met. Obi Wan gives me the freedom to do so

And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . . 

he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars— I love you, Anakin. In life, and in death, we will always be one. I am yours

• Also, I'm not saying a turtle isn't a valid approach to a 1v1. It's just that, you'd be so much better if you attacked rather than playing for stamina

• In my experience RMT destroys players. Unblockable, the best debuff in the entire game rendering abilities and dodges down the drain. Unless if you’re in a 1v1 against Obi-wan in which case you will at least take a small amount of damage to be fair, you’re going to lose a lot of health and stamina when coupled with an average team to be realistic.

With any blaster villain besides Boba, it’s a definite death to be sure.

When faced with a team, RMT limits you to so little options;
    Spam jump (best used with saber villains and bossk).
    Hold Alt to block as well as Fly and Alt fire.
    Fight for your life.
    Best option, Block and strike (bug that’s the only thing close to a counter), Effective from 1-2 saber fighters with 4 heroes being an absolute dice roll.

I’m okay when playing against this hero but if I was to go against 2 pro Anakin and Luke players vs an Obi-wan with a competent team, I would pick the Skywalkers rather than the stomper Obi-wan himself.
  • In my experience RMT destroys players. Unblockable, the best debuff in the entire game rendering abilities and dodges down the drain. Unless if you’re in a 1v1 against Obi-wan in which case you will at least take a small amount of damage to be fair, you’re going to lose a lot of health and stamina when coupled with an average team to be realistic.

With any blaster villain besides Boba, it’s a definite death to be sure.

When faced with a team, RMT limits you to so little options;
    Spam jump (best used with saber villains and bossk).
    Hold Alt to block as well as Fly and Alt fire.
    Fight for your life.
    Best option, Block and strike (bug that’s the only thing close to a counter), Effective from 1-2 saber fighters with 4 heroes being an absolute dice roll.

I’m okay when playing against this hero but if I was to go against 2 pro Anakin and Luke players vs an Obi-wan with a competent team, I would pick the Skywalkers rather than the stomper Obi-wan himself.

We're talking only 1v1. And no I'll take zero damage from an RMT 8/10 times without moving

• Also, I'm not saying a turtle isn't a valid approach to a 1v1. It's just that, you'd be so much better if you attacked rather than playing for stamina

But Obi is the turtle king if played correctly. I am not doubting your ability, I am however stating that you shouldn't be mopping the floor against Obi 1v1 8/10 times if the individual is of equal or greater skill than you.
    Also, I'm not saying a turtle isn't a valid approach to a 1v1. It's just that, you'd be so much better if you attacked rather than playing for stamina

But Obi is the turtle king if played correctly. I am not doubting your ability, I am however stating that you shouldn't be mopping the floor against Obi 1v1 8/10 times if the individual is of equal or greater skill than you.

And I would likewise not doubt your own ability, and strats. We can agree there. I just prefer to play an Obi Wan with a sizable health regen safety net and instant stamina recovery tools aggressively in 1s. In 4v4s I would definitely play very much more defensive, as you do

Also, I'm not saying a turtle isn't a valid approach to a 1v1. It's just that, you'd be so much better if you attacked rather than playing for stamina

And I would likewise not doubt your own ability, and strats. We can agree there. I just prefer to play an Obi Wan with a sizable health regen safety net and instant stamina recovery tools aggressively in 1s. In 4v4s I would definitely play very much more defensive, as you do

Agreed. I may have been superimposing a 4v4 mindset for Obi to 1v1 more than I should have, as stamina in a 4v4 is more important than in a 1v1, since the LS tends to rely on saber spam a little more than the DS. Ultimately like you conceded above, Obi can extend a 1v1 far longer than one would like, and since there isn't a Duel mode apart from "Hero Showdown" long lasting 1v1's are very infrequent.

My original response really was talking about the over importance of Anakin and to a lesser extent Obi-wan in the LS roster. I know we started to talk about 1v1 situations, but the LS strength is in how easily an ability like RMT can affect a whole team as it is unblock-able. My conclusion being that RMT just shouldn't exist in my opinion. For example, Rey/Obi/Chewy/etc... should have a guard break instead of not having a guard break and have RMT stay around as a LS band-aid. Rey's MT is "tolerable", but not necessary, and can actually be outplayed rather easily. RMT just shouldn't exist, and definitely shouldn't stack with MT if they keep it.

TL;DR Buff other light side heroes, nerf or change Obi's RMT and adjust Anakin. I know its not a popular opinion, and obviously after the Vader buff, buffing the top tier and leaving the bottom tier...well bottom tier is how we balance Battlefront 2 heroes...Power creep or hero imbalance are what we end up with as an alternative.

Agreed. I may have been superimposing a 4v4 mindset for Obi to 1v1 more than I should have, as stamina in a 4v4 is more important than in a 1v1, since the LS tends to rely on saber spam a little more than the DS. Ultimately like you conceded above, Obi can extend a 1v1 far longer than one would like, and since there isn't a Duel mode apart from "Hero Showdown" long lasting 1v1's are very infrequent.

My original response really was talking about the over importance of Anakin and to a lesser extent Obi-wan in the LS roster. I know we started to talk about 1v1 situations, but the LS strength is in how easily an ability like RMT can affect a whole team as it is unblock-able. My conclusion being that RMT just shouldn't exist in my opinion. For example, Rey/Obi/Chewy/etc... should have a guard break instead of not having a guard break and have RMT stay around as a LS band-aid. Rey's MT is "tolerable", but not necessary, and can actually be outplayed rather easily. RMT just shouldn't exist, and definitely shouldn't stack with MT if they keep it.

TL;DR Buff other light side heroes, nerf or change Obi's RMT and adjust Anakin. I know its not a popular opinion, and obviously after the Vader buff, buffing the top tier and leaving the bottom tier...well bottom tier is how we balance Battlefront 2 heroes...Power creep or hero imbalance are what we end up with as an alternative.

Basically everything you just said, is everything I can agree with 100%. Dice pls learn from Yoda901. LS is too weak, and cheap facerolls like RMT are the only thing giving them viability

Also back tracking slightly to the 1v1 topic, I figured I'd just show you an example of what I'm saying from the perspective of the Obi-Wan-ee rather than the Obi-Wan-er; purposely without even using counters (aka parries as the community seems to now call it)

And why RMT is simply easy (and very fun) to play against as far as 1v1s go. Traditional dashes only to my dismay; My friend seemed to stay away from jump attacks for some reason

• e47nz85qj3yz.jpg
    "Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul." - Kreia

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone." - Darth Malak

• Well, from my experience it is easier to win with the dark side if you have players who know how to play their hero. Boba e.g. can easily destract people and fool them around by constantly shooting at them, causing the health regeneration to not even start while his teammates can then easily finish those.

Although Light side has characters like anakin, give a good vader player enough freedom and he will melt him down
    Wanna read how Starfighters could be introduced to CS in a fair manner? Read-up on it here: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/153390/how-to-properly-introduce-starfighters-to-cs#latest

Want to support Starfighter content in general? Help us here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/evnc78/starfighters_reborn/

Basically everything you just said, is everything I can agree with 100%. Dice pls learn from Yoda901. LS is too weak, and cheap facerolls like RMT are the only thing giving them viability

Also back tracking slightly to the 1v1 topic, I figured I'd just show you an example of what I'm saying from the perspective of the Obi-Wan-ee rather than the Obi-Wan-er; purposely without even using counters (aka parries as the community seems to now call it)

And why RMT is simply easy (and very fun) to play against as far as 1v1s go. Traditional dashes only to my dismay; My friend seemed to stay away from jump attacks for some reason

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah the 1v1 situation is interesting, good blocking btw. Still RMT is cancerous against an entire team and allows for 2or more v1 to easily drain ones stamina. He got you down to 1 hit away it looked like, some blaster fire or MT from Rey as you were turning and its get bad quick. Again I agree with you, just stating how much more powerful it is 4v4, and the recharge time isn't as near as long as it should be.

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah the 1v1 situation is interesting, good blocking btw. Still RMT is cancerous against an entire team and allows for 2or more v1 to easily drain ones stamina. He got you down to 1 hit away it looked like, some blaster fire or MT from Rey as you were turning and its get bad quick. Again I agree with you, just stating how much more powerful it is 4v4, and the recharge time isn't as near as long as it should be.

Oh yeah definitely. If i was playing 4v4s I wouldve never dared get so close and exposed to a team like that by choice