criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

What if Rian subverts our expectations and makes an actually decent episode

I’d be completely surprised if he has it in him, I think it’s impossible

Replies

• If you are talking about him directing an episode for the mandalorian well he did direct a few episodes in breaking bad so he knows how to make a good TV episode even if he didn't write the episodes he did in BB
  • He wants to direct the whole 2 season. Also, he's only directing, not creating the story so... I would like it, I like his style
  • I'm surprised he's still around and able to work on Star Wars anymore. Hopefully he'll be alright.
    "Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul." - Kreia

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone." - Darth Malak

• He already did that and people hated him for it.
  • Starmasui73146
    1652 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    He already did that and people hated him for it.

True, the way he disrespected Luke's character arc and threw him under the bus was nearly unforgivable. Now we will never see a massive epic lightsaber duel with Luke like episode 3.
    Rian crushed that dream and on top of that he killed off Luke's character. George Lucas didn't have Luke die until episode 9, they should have not thrown away his script draft idea. Lucas had Leia in training in episode 7, Disney tossed that out...they were going to put it in 9 but Carry Fisher died.
    Revan72 wrote: »
    I'm surprised he's still around and able to work on Star Wars anymore. Hopefully he'll be alright.

Well to be honest I think his writing skills are lazy. He even said that in an interview.

As long as he sticks to directing I don't mind him but he should steer clear of writing.

Post edited by Starmasui73146 on
    “There is always hope.”
  • Cane_danko wrote: »

True, the way he disrespected Luke's character arc and threw him under the bus was nearly unforgivable. Now we will never see a massive epic lightsaber duel with Luke like episode 3.
    Rian crushed that dream and on top of that he killed off Luke's character. George Lucas didn't have Luke die until episode 9, they should have not thrown away his script draft idea. Lucas had Leia in training in episode 7, Disney tossed that out...they were going to put it in 9 but Carry Fisher died.
    I'm surprised he's still around and able to work on Star Wars anymore. Hopefully he'll be alright.

Well to be honest I think his write skills are lazy. He even said that in an interview. As long as he sticks to directing I don't mind him but he should steer clear of writing.

The difference being your ideas are one of fan service and lack of substance so it would be great for the short term but it would just give the franchise a slow agonizing death by becoming irrelevant. I guess some people prefer this type of writing as it is more shallow and easier to digest.
  • Starmasui73146
    1652 posts Member
    edited December 2019

Well to be honest I think his write skills are lazy. He even said that in an interview. As long as he sticks to directing I don't mind him but he should steer clear of writing.

The difference being your ideas are one of fan service and lack of substance so it would be great for the short term but it would just give the franchise a slow agonizing death by becoming irrelevant. I guess some people prefer this type of writing as it is more shallow and easier to digest.

Wait...what? Lacking substance? What is wrong with wanting a character with a massive arc to end on a dramatic epic note? That's not lacking substance that just stylish cool writing. And what is irrelevant about honoring a well established character? He deserves his time to shine. That is not some petty fan service, this character has been around for 6 films. I find your dishonor of his story arc offensive. He never got to truly shine due to budget restraints and technology short comings.

Now the force is nonsense to me but that's not the point. Lucas wrote the character as this future ultimate jedi and the character has a right to have an epic swan song.

So any way, Rey gets to out class Luke in every scene now because of what they can do these days, like the Tie Fighter back flip. Luke is suppose to be according to George Lucas the most powerful jedi in all the universe, yet every freaking scene Rey's in she upstages him. Why can't he do many of those epic things in the new films? Oh yeah I forgot because they killed him. Booooooo, just booooo. Lousy writing. I want to see Luke taking down massive hordes of enemies, to see him bringing down huge ships; not milking an alien space seal, a freakin' force projection and throwing his lightsaber over his shoulder. Lame.

Oh and I suppose you think the writing for episode 8 had substance 😂😂🤣 lmao, no...just no.
    “There is always hope.”

Wait...what? Lacking substance? What is wrong with wanting a character with a massive arc to end on a dramatic epic note? That's not lacking substance that just stylish cool writing. And what is irrelevant about honoring a well established character? He deserves his time to shine. That is not some petty fan service, this character has been around for 6 films. I find your dishonor of his story arc offensive. He never got to truly shine due to budget restraints and technology short comings. So Rey gets to out class him in every scene now because of what they can do these days, like the Tie Fighter back flip. Luke is suppose to be according to George Lucas the most powerful jedi in all the universe, yet every freaking scene Rey's in she upstages him. Why can't he do many of those epic things? Oh yeah I forgot because they killed him. Booooooo, just booooo. Lousy writing. I want to see Luke taking down massive hordes of enemies, to see him bringing down huge ships, not milking an alien space seal, a freakin' force projection and throwing his lightsaber over his shoulder. Lame.

Oh and I suppose you think the writing for episode 8 had substance 😂😂🤣 lmao, no...just no.

Rey does a backflip so she is a mary sue. Anakin kills younglings for palpatine because he is whiny and emo. All of it makes sense based on your perspective. As obiwan says it is all a certain point of view. My view that people complaining about new star wars are just like the original trilogy nerds who complained about the prequels. Yeah, you make some interesting accusations though at the end of the day the people who enjoy the movies could give two bantha poodoos. Anakin and palpatine are irrelevant anyways as the true hero and villain of the prequels were the great and mighty darth darth binks. This is the only canon i care about.

Wait...what? Lacking substance? What is wrong with wanting a character with a massive arc to end on a dramatic epic note? That's not lacking substance that just stylish cool writing. And what is irrelevant about honoring a well established character? He deserves his time to shine. That is not some petty fan service, this character has been around for 6 films. I find your dishonor of his story arc offensive. He never got to truly shine due to budget restraints and technology short comings. So Rey gets to out class him in every scene now because of what they can do these days, like the Tie Fighter back flip. Luke is suppose to be according to George Lucas the most powerful jedi in all the universe, yet every freaking scene Rey's in she upstages him. Why can't he do many of those epic things? Oh yeah I forgot because they killed him. Booooooo, just booooo. Lousy writing. I want to see Luke taking down massive hordes of enemies, to see him bringing down huge ships, not milking an alien space seal, a freakin' force projection and throwing his lightsaber over his shoulder. Lame.

Rey does a backflip so she is a mary sue. Anakin kills younglings for palpatine because he is whiny and emo. All of it makes sense based on your perspective. As obiwan says it is all a certain point of view. My view that people complaining about new star wars are just like the original trilogy nerds who complained about the prequels. Yeah, you make some interesting accusations though at the end of the day the people who enjoy the movies could give two bantha poodoos. Anakin and palpatine are irrelevant anyways as the true hero and villain of the prequels were the great and mighty darth darth binks. This is the only canon i care about.

Hahaha, are you for real? This isn't canon, ST is terrible, the writing is rotten, they have made a joke of Luke and everyone and everything else including the force, they have made Rey OP and undefeatable, the villain is a whiny emo boy and they destroyed Anakins lightsaber, just terrible.
  • Not to even mention the disaster that is Rose Tico.
  • The Mandalorian is amazing so far so here's to hoping he doesn't ruin it.

Hahaha, are you for real? This isn't canon, ST is terrible, the writing is rotten, they have made a joke of Luke and everyone and everything else including the force, they have made Rey OP and undefeatable, the villain is a whiny emo boy and they destroyed Anakins lightsaber, just terrible.

Anakin wins the star wars emo boi award every time. Kylo tries hard to be like him i will give him that much. At least kylo is more relatable. Mainly he is a better actor. ST may be terrible but only in the context that star wars itself is terrible. By liking any of the movies or extended universe one must suspend their expectations that every little thing must make sense and instead set up a belief system based on micro germs that allow people to use the force as well as robot companions who do not try to form skynet and kill us all (which is what would happen if this was real life). Another thing you must consider is that even though rey is op and undefeatable she never has any moments like farm boi luke who cries over his power converters and who is only attracted to blood relatives.
  • Can anyone name 1 time that Rey failed at something?
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

Anakin wins the star wars emo boi award every time. Kylo tries hard to be like him i will give him that much. At least kylo is more relatable. Mainly he is a better actor. ST may be terrible but only in the context that star wars itself is terrible. By liking any of the movies or extended universe one must suspend their expectations that every little thing must make sense and instead set up a belief system based on micro germs that allow people to use the force as well as robot companions who do not try to form skynet and kill us all (which is what would happen if this was real life). Another thing you must consider is that even though rey is op and undefeatable she never has any moments like farm boi luke who cries over his power converters and who is only attracted to blood relatives.

What? Anakin had way more going on, Kylo just whines like a kid all the time, Anakin was fighting a war against an army, not just a small amount of Resistance fighters. Kylo is more relatable? So you whine about everything in life too? Rey is OP, she never has a moment of weakness, in OT they showed Luke wasn't perfect, making him more relatable. Its trash, you can't fight for movies like that, I didnt even mention the lack of physics In TLJ.
  • Anakin had so many people telling him what was right and wrong, he had so many responsibilities, Kylo doesnt do anything and still whines, I really like the actor but I hate Kylo.
  • Starmasui73146
    1652 posts Member
    edited December 2019

Oh okay I see where your coming from. Got it.

My main issue is with Rian Johnson's lazy writing. He has admitted in an interview that he does not really do much research before writing. This is pretty evident in many scenes from his "The Last Jedi" film. Princess Leia in space for one thing was all wrong. In order to have lived according to a real Nasa astronaut she would have had to have exhailed out the oxygen out of her lungs before being sucked out into space, otherwise her lungs would have collapsed. Then been gasping until getting back on the ship all the while horrifically rapidly freezing in -250 F temperatures.

Part 1 on the ship Rian Johnson should have shown her exhaling. Part 2 he should have not had her peacefully open her eyes in space, she should have been gasping for air as she opened her eyes. Also no one can claim the force helped her because she was unconscious, the force bubble would not have started tell she was awake, basic logic. Because the whiles use the midiclorians to control the human but they need the human awake to do it. So as you can see I am not whining, this is pin pointing very basic flaws of logic in Rians lazy writing.

Here's another one. The Resistance bombers at the the start of the film drop bombs on the First Order ship. The bombs drop like a B2 bomber. It looks like a gravity system. As most of us know, there's no gravity in space, the bombs would just hover around. Now that said...to their credit the Star Wars movie guide said it used a magnetic system to push the bombs out. My reaction to that is that that should be explained in the film, it is quite simply lazy writing. No explanation leads to boos in the theater and laughter due to visual inaccuracies in basic physics. Now lets take for a second the idea that it was using a magnetic driven system like particle accelerators do or a rail gun. The huge problem is that they throw objects at ridiculously high speeds. That is not what we saw in the film, no they droped at bomber gravity speed...again lazy writing.
    Can anyone name 1 time that Rey failed at something?

Yes, she failed to listen to Luke to stay away from the dark side cave. I really started to dislike her for that act. That and assaulting Luke with out hearing his side of the story first. Kylo Ren twisted it to make Luke look more crazy instead of just a scared jedi Master trying to protect his younglings, from a whiny evil teenager who listens to a dark side overlord.
    “There is always hope.”

What? Anakin had way more going on, Kylo just whines like a kid all the time, Anakin was fighting a war against an army, not just a small amount of Resistance fighters. Kylo is more relatable? So you whine about everything in life too? Rey is OP, she never has a moment of weakness, in OT they showed Luke wasn't perfect, making him more relatable. Its trash, you can't fight for movies like that, I didnt even mention the lack of physics In TLJ.

Yes i whine about everything in real life. The biggest thing i love to whine about is how movies ruin my childhood and spaceships not acting according to nasa parameters is immersion breaking. I love to whine about whiners like anakin and kylo especially. It is fascinating to try and pick them apart as who is the biggest whiner because i honestly feel i am the chosen one in that regards because both kylo and anakin have responsibilities so that disqualifies them from being the whiniest as i have nothing better to do than argue with nerds on forums which accomplishes nothing except giving me gratification through confirmation bias. I do all this in the name of darth darth binks. This is the way.

Yes i whine about everything in real life. The biggest thing i love to whine about is how movies ruin my childhood and spaceships not acting according to nasa parameters is immersion breaking. I love to whine about whiners like anakin and kylo especially. It is fascinating to try and pick them apart as who is the biggest whiner because i honestly feel i am the chosen one in that regards because both kylo and anakin have responsibilities so that disqualifies them from being the whiniest as i have nothing better to do than argue with nerds on forums which accomplishes nothing except giving me gratification through confirmation bias. I do all this in the name of darth darth binks. This is the way.

🙄 Lol, okay now your just mocking. You sound like my nephew.
    “There is always hope.”

Whoah whoah whoah, Nerds? How do you accomplish gratification? By losing arguments because you are uneducated? Okay then, and dont use "This is the way" while talking about ST, the mandalorian is amazing and ST is terrible, so do NOT relate the two.

Whoah whoah whoah, Nerds? How do you accomplish gratification? By losing arguments because you are uneducated? Okay then, and dont use "This is the way" while talking about ST, the mandalorian is amazing and ST is terrible, so do NOT relate the two.

Mandalorian sucks! Baby yoda is where its at! He is almost as cute as the porgs!!!

Now I'm going to make my Baby Yoda pick you up and drop you.

Mandalorian sucks! Baby yoda is where its at! He is almost as cute as the porgs!!!

Mandalorian sucks? How? Are you just saying that because you hate any storytelling that's good? Okay then.

I am gonna make chewy cook you and a porg eat you.

I am gonna make chewy cook you and a porg eat you.

Oh please, chewy hates ST as much as I do after they killed han.
  • And I have already fed most of the porgs to baby Yoda
  • Starmasui73146
    1652 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Mandalorian sucks!

I personally haven't got Disney + but I do like all the footage of the Mandalorian fighting, oh and IG-11 looked cool too.

Baby yoda is where its at! He is almost as cute as the porgs!!!
    Okay now your falling into Rian Johnsons issues here:
    lack of scientific detail due to lack of research.

There are two major discrepancies with this baby Yoda from the ""Mandalorian" show compared to what is known about the yoda species:
    (1.) The baby has a very dark sclera, a dark brown iris and a black pupil. How come the babies eye sclera isn't white like classic Yoda? Cute or not, those eyes give me the creeps.
    (2.) The babies eyes are huge. Yoda's species have regular human size eyes, not huge eyes like modern day freaky animation.

Conclusion: If there going to create a baby of Yoda's species at least get it anatomically correct to the race. The face may be cute but the eyes are all wrong and frankly creepy. So what is it? Is it a hybrid? A mutant? Do they morph their eyes over time? What gives? Far to many discrepancies and as of yet no explanations.
    “There is always hope.”
  • Starmasui73146
    1652 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Anakin wins the star wars emo boi award every time.
    True.
    Kylo tries hard to be like him I will give him that much. At least kylo is more relatable. Mainly he is a better actor.
    Agreed, Hayden Christian especially the line, "I can see through the lies of the jedi," was horribly delivered. Totally lacking hate, pain and fear. The delivery was awful.
    ST may be terrible but only in the context that star wars itself is terrible.
    True from a science perspective yes, Star Trek it is not. Issues include:
    (1.) Iight speed not effecting time
    (2.) fire in space (it would blow out fast due to no oxygen)
    (3.) sound in space (explosions would not be heard)
    (4.) real lasers are actually invisible (unless you add a guiding red pointer light to see it)
    etc, etc, etc...

By liking any of the movies or extended universe one must suspend their expectations that every little thing must make sense-
    I don't know about that. The above four I can let slide because even if it's not accurate it looks cool. But a lady floating in -250° F of space with no visible sign of oxygen deprivation, that's just stretching it a bit don't you think? And the force bubble would not have arrived until she awoke.
    and instead set up a belief system based on micro germs that allow people to use the force -
    True it is all rather silly, though George did not tell us about what The Whiles were until after "The Force Awakens" was made. So we did not have that aspect back in the day to reflect on.
    -as well as robot companions who do not try to form skynet and kill us all (which is what would happen if this was real life).
    Well actually they did introduce a droid rebellion in "Solo: A Star Wars Story" sooooo we shall see where that goes.

Another thing you must consider is that even though Rey is op and undefeatable she never has any moments like farm boi Luke who cries over his power converters and who is only attracted to blood relatives.
    There is a lot to be said here on that regarding why that is but I've decided not to comment on this one about Disney and their male bashing or yours for that matter. Far to much of a powder keg waiting to explode. Oh and about Disney's male bashing it has nothing to do with Luke liking Leia. The blood relatives line you said was a real low blow, Luke did not know it was his sister. In fact, actually it was Leia who said she always knew Luke was her brother. So your pointing at the wrong person.
    “There is always hope.”
  • This thread has gone back and forth and has been a bit insulting from both sides. I'm closing it up.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!