criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

Baby yoda is a mary sue

Prev1
I can accept that he is just naturally strong with the force being a baby yoda. What i cannot accept as it never explains is how in the heck did he get so cute??? It never explains this and it is lazy writing.

Replies

  • bfloo
    16570 posts Member
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Anakin was deeply flawed.

    He lost an arm to Dooku and all his limbs to Obi Wan.

    That is hardly a Gary Stu.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • Whodunnit
    5634 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Edit: got me there for a second but it’s fine. We are fine.
    Battlefront II has a 45.8% chance of success.
    sfg04pfx1l31.gif
  • Rinku
    153 posts Member
    He is 50 years old. IG-11 says species can age differently. On top of that, his species overall has a natural increased connection to the Force. He held up the beast for 5 seconds or 10 seconds max and went out cold.

    Also, no. Anakin is not a Mary Sue or a Gary Stu. He is even denied training at first by the council. Its implied that he has disappointed Obi-Wan before too. Not gonna mention his arm loss to Dooku and the loss of his remaining limbs.
    Open your eyes...
    ekn97qol2xso.gif

  • I know the topic was jokes, but baby Yoda only lifted an animal. It would be easier to assert it's will on a creature that's existence is dictated by primal instinct than it would be on an actual human being that can logic and reason

    And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . . 

    he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars— I love you, Anakin. In life, and in death, we will always be one. I am yours


  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    I can accept that he is just naturally strong with the force being a baby yoda. What i cannot accept as it never explains is how in the heck did he get so cute??? It never explains this and it is lazy writing.

    You are just trying to make people mad and start arguments, just accept it, the Mandalorian is a masterpiece and ST IS A DISASTER. I am merely stating the truth.
  • hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Hope you are trolling, so you like to watch mindless action that doesn’t even make sense? You’d like to see some more terrible writing about how Rey was able to mind trick without ANY training? Sounds terrible. Rey is almost if not as bad as Rose.(maybe even worse)
  • bfloo
    16570 posts Member
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    I can accept that he is just naturally strong with the force being a baby yoda. What i cannot accept as it never explains is how in the heck did he get so cute??? It never explains this and it is lazy writing.

    You are just trying to make people mad and start arguments, just accept it, the Mandalorian is a masterpiece and ST IS A DISASTER. I am merely stating the truth.

    You're pushing it a bit with masterpiece.

    Calling the ST a disaster might be too kind.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • Don't dare besmirch baby Yoda. If anything happens to him I will sell off all my belongings and the move to Tibet to join a monastery.
  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    I can accept that he is just naturally strong with the force being a baby yoda. What i cannot accept as it never explains is how in the heck did he get so cute??? It never explains this and it is lazy writing.

    You are just trying to make people mad and start arguments, just accept it, the Mandalorian is a masterpiece and ST IS A DISASTER. I am merely stating the truth.

    r/woosh, better live up to being the New-Reddit
  • bfloo wrote: »
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    I can accept that he is just naturally strong with the force being a baby yoda. What i cannot accept as it never explains is how in the heck did he get so cute??? It never explains this and it is lazy writing.

    You are just trying to make people mad and start arguments, just accept it, the Mandalorian is a masterpiece and ST IS A DISASTER. I am merely stating the truth.

    You're pushing it a bit with @Mastahpeece .

    Calling the ST a disaster might be too kind.
    giphy.gif

    Battlefront II has a 45.8% chance of success.
    sfg04pfx1l31.gif
  • Whodunnit wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    I can accept that he is just naturally strong with the force being a baby yoda. What i cannot accept as it never explains is how in the heck did he get so cute??? It never explains this and it is lazy writing.

    You are just trying to make people mad and start arguments, just accept it, the Mandalorian is a masterpiece and ST IS A DISASTER. I am merely stating the truth.

    You're pushing it a bit with @MasterOfJimmies .

    Calling the ST a disaster might be too kind.
    giphy.gif

    mu6c0n1e9dp8.gif

    Ponds main

    Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • AccurateThings
    907 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Baby yoda: manages to pull a creature using the force for a few second and then getting tired.

    Sequel trilogy fanboys: bull crap.

    Rey: manages to know how to mindtrick and pull huge boulders effortlessly.

    Sequel trilogy fanboys: that is what I love.
  • @Cane_danko Don't you dare make the "Luke is a Gary Stu" argument.
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png
  • fatsin
    5 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    Sure it's just because we hate women. :/

    Anakin is a Mary Sue? :D

    - Gets his arm chopped by Dooku
    - Gets easily tricked by Palpatine like a child.
    - Loses his both arms and legs to Obi-Wan and gets burnt
    - Fails to save the woman she loves.
    - Mentally broken, he is forced to live as a half-machine
    - Owned by Luke at his prime.

    Sure. What a Mary Sue/Gary Stu…
    hosco33 wrote: »
    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    For a ST fan, you don't know much about TFA. Rey is a blank slate who just knows how to use a quarterstaff at the beginning. The Force inside her is latent and is 'awakened' when she comes across Anakin's lightsaber. Hence, the title, the Force Awakens. So, no. She can't have used the Force before that. And yes, it is bad writing. TFA is A copy of A New Hope with little change and the Last Jedi is a copy of ESB and RoTJ. Neither Rey nor any other new character (except for Kylo, maybe) has any depth to them. They are flat, stoic characters.
  • bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Anakin was deeply flawed.

    He lost an arm to Dooku and all his limbs to Obi Wan.

    That is hardly a Gary Stu.

    Blowing up a battle station when he was a youngling, no prior pilot preparation other than races. I truly believe it's way more understandable a girl who has survived all her life alone in a hostile planet to beat a wounded unprepared sith. I really like Rey more and has more potential.
  • hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Hope you are trolling, so you like to watch mindless action that doesn’t even make sense? You’d like to see some more terrible writing about how Rey was able to mind trick without ANY training? Sounds terrible. Rey is almost if not as bad as Rose.(maybe even worse)

    I think she has the potential of a prequel that explains how she's always been strong with the force since she was a little child, unknowingly manipulating weak minds.

    I don't like weak plots but I think Rey has a lot of potential if we accept what Star Wars has given to us before.
  • hosco33
    395 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Anakin was deeply flawed.

    He lost an arm to Dooku and all his limbs to Obi Wan.

    That is hardly a Gary Stu.

    Anakin blew up a war machine space station, because all the other experienced adult pilots were too inept to achieve it.

    I liked far more, if not loved it, a girl who learned to fight to survive since she was a little girl, to beat a poorly trained and wounded sith. We don't have to pick one character or the other, we could just push writers to make more sense. As stated in another answer above, Rey's story could be fixed like they fixed their ridicule flawed first Death Star with Rogue One and it was cool.
  • fatsin wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    Sure it's just because we hate women. :/

    Anakin is a Mary Sue? :D

    - Gets his arm chopped by Dooku
    - Gets easily tricked by Palpatine like a child.
    - Loses his both arms and legs to Obi-Wan and gets burnt
    - Fails to save the woman she loves.
    - Mentally broken, he is forced to live as a half-machine
    - Owned by Luke at his prime.

    Sure. What a Mary Sue/Gary Stu…
    hosco33 wrote: »
    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    For a ST fan, you don't know much about TFA. Rey is a blank slate who just knows how to use a quarterstaff at the beginning. The Force inside her is latent and is 'awakened' when she comes across Anakin's lightsaber. Hence, the title, the Force Awakens. So, no. She can't have used the Force before that. And yes, it is bad writing. TFA is A copy of A New Hope with little change and the Last Jedi is a copy of ESB and RoTJ. Neither Rey nor any other new character (except for Kylo, maybe) has any depth to them. They are flat, stoic characters.

    I agree with lack of creativity copy/paste, but Rey was the best it offered the same way Maul was the best thing Episode I offered.
  • Baby Yoda is cute
    Ny shootogawa!
  • bfloo
    16570 posts Member
    hosco33 wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Anakin was deeply flawed.

    He lost an arm to Dooku and all his limbs to Obi Wan.

    That is hardly a Gary Stu.

    Anakin blew up a war machine space station, because all the other experienced adult pilots were too inept to achieve it.

    I liked far more, if not loved it, a girl who learned to fight to survive since she was a little girl, to beat a poorly trained and wounded sith. We don't have to pick one character or the other, we could just push writers to make more sense. As stated in another answer above, Rey's story could be fixed like they fixed their ridicule flawed first Death Star with Rogue One and it was cool.

    The auto pilot got him there, then he spammed buttons.

    He didn't hop in the fighter 'I know what to do!'

    I can live with luck, then Ani was deeply flawed in the next 2 films.

    Now we have Rey.

    The Falcon breaks, which was basically rigged together by Han and Chewie, who always struggled to fix it, but Rey can fix it in seconds?

    If Crylo's woulds were so bad, how did he destroy Finn right before he lost to Rey? If she used a similar style as she did with her staff, I would not be so bothered by it. Then in TLJ she took Luke down like he was nothing. He should have outclassed her without breaking a sweat.

    The mind trick without the hand movement bothered me. Even Obi Wan and Palps would need to move their hand for it to work.

    Resisting the mind probe I was ok with, she was actually trying to resist it, and we have already seen them resisted by untrained Force sensitives.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • bfloo wrote: »
    The mind trick without the hand movement bothered me. Even Obi Wan and Palps would need to move their hand for it to work.

    Resisting the mind probe I was ok with, she was actually trying to resist it, and we have already seen them resisted by untrained Force sensitives.
    Just a comment on the hand movement. I think all the physical movements are just visual aids in using the Force. The films want to show it off, but I don't think they actually need to move their hands pull it off. But there is another detail.

    What is really bothersome is fact that she uses the mind trick in the first place. It is clear that the force technique is a deliberate one, and not instinctual like resisting mental torture or maybe lifting objects with the Force. So, she had to be actually trained on how to use that or study it in some way, and practice it for months. Yet in the films, Rey should have no idea she can even Mind Trick anyway, let alone how to use it.

    In the scene, she knows to use a suggestive tone on the target to mind trick them. How did she even know. The chances that she learned it coincidentally in her past is also impossible because the Force awakened inside her during the TFA. So, there is no way to fix this. The only explanation is she is a Mary Sue.
  • People who think rey is a mary sue are the same people who are too lazy to take their carts to the coral while at walmart. They are not true star wars fans. They are betas who can’t understand how a fictional female character could actually have the capacity to do simple things like fly a space ship or swing a laser sword. It is quite sad to be so pitiful but i guess they make up for it by being total poodoo holes.
  • bfloo
    16570 posts Member
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    People who think rey is a mary sue are the same people who are too lazy to take their carts to the coral while at walmart. They are not true star wars fans. They are betas who can’t understand how a fictional female character could actually have the capacity to do simple things like fly a space ship or swing a laser sword. It is quite sad to be so pitiful but i guess they make up for it by being total poodoo holes.

    JJ can't develop characters. Rey was a let down.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • bfloo wrote: »
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    People who think rey is a mary sue are the same people who are too lazy to take their carts to the coral while at walmart. They are not true star wars fans. They are betas who can’t understand how a fictional female character could actually have the capacity to do simple things like fly a space ship or swing a laser sword. It is quite sad to be so pitiful but i guess they make up for it by being total poodoo holes.

    JJ can't develop characters. Rey was a let down.

    Just return your shopping carts to the corals and leave the writing and evaluation to the alpha nerds.
  • hosco33
    395 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    bfloo wrote: »
    The auto pilot got him there, then he spammed buttons.

    He didn't hop in the fighter 'I know what to do!'

    I can live with luck, then Ani was deeply flawed in the next 2 films.

    Alright, then we are different consumers and Star Wars is for all of us. I personally HATE luck, I really deeply dislike those pseudo-heroes that "didn't want to be a hero" (except Han Solo, which was one of the first ones being like that before the abuse of the figure in movies for the next 20 years) but for some circumstance start doing the right thing.

    bfloo wrote: »
    Now we have Rey.

    The Falcon breaks, which was basically rigged together by Han and Chewie, who always struggled to fix it, but Rey can fix it in seconds?

    Correct, I loved that. No more ineptitude, no more luck (still she's humble to say "That was lucky"), just pure raw unleashed skills. It really bothers me ineptitude, I hate Kung Fu Panda, silly-fat ***** beating enemies by mere accident. But many, manym people loved him, it's ok, I could respect that if that is not the only damned hero they want to feed us up with.

    bfloo wrote: »

    If Crylo's woulds were so bad, how did he destroy Finn right before he lost to Rey? If she used a similar style as she did with her staff, I would not be so bothered by it. Then in TLJ she took Luke down like he was nothing. He should have outclassed her without breaking a sweat.

    Because Rey is stronger than Finn, though I agree about the staff-style and tooking down master Luke so easily, whom is also a Gary Stu since he blew up the first Death Star without any combat training, just because he was able to shoot womp rats??, of course it was the force, and he learned about the force a few hours/days ago, still the force was stronger in him than in average living creatures. So every Star Wars saga has its own Mary Sues/Gary Stus but Rey is the one I liked the most and I think many people are pushing an anti-woke agenda. I'm a male, of course I don't fit the woke agenda, but that doesn't mean the counter part will manipulate me.

    bfloo wrote: »
    The mind trick without the hand movement bothered me. Even Obi Wan and Palps would need to move their hand for it to work.

    Resisting the mind probe I was ok with, she was actually trying to resist it, and we have already seen them resisted by untrained Force sensitives.

    I can live with that, that can be fixed by explaining how she's been playing with the force since she was a young girl without knowing she was.

    fatsin wrote: »
    The chances that she learned it coincidentally in her past is also impossible because the Force awakened inside her during the TFA. So, there is no way to fix this. The only explanation is she is a Mary Sue.

    The force is present and strong in some beings since birth, it's not something they get infected with one day by accident. It was strong in Luke since birth but Palpatine couldn't detect it until he started using it consciously. It was also strong in Leia but... well she was a woman born in the wrong era XD
  • DiamondxStyles
    1968 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    fatsin wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    The mind trick without the hand movement bothered me. Even Obi Wan and Palps would need to move their hand for it to work.

    Resisting the mind probe I was ok with, she was actually trying to resist it, and we have already seen them resisted by untrained Force sensitives.
    Just a comment on the hand movement. I think all the physical movements are just visual aids in using the Force. The films want to show it off, but I don't think they actually need to move their hands pull it off. But there is another detail.

    What is really bothersome is fact that she uses the mind trick in the first place. It is clear that the force technique is a deliberate one, and not instinctual like resisting mental torture or maybe lifting objects with the Force. So, she had to be actually trained on how to use that or study it in some way, and practice it for months. Yet in the films, Rey should have no idea she can even Mind Trick anyway, let alone how to use it.

    In the scene, she knows to use a suggestive tone on the target to mind trick them. How did she even know. The chances that she learned it coincidentally in her past is also impossible because the Force awakened inside her during the TFA. So, there is no way to fix this. The only explanation is she is a Mary Sue.

    The real problem with the "mind trick" is not that she used a mind trick. It's 'how she used the mind trick.

    Its a silly misconception that a Force user needs training in order to use the Force. They need training to temper their raw power from being sloppy or out of their control.

    Now since as far as I know, she probably shouldn't know exactly how to apply a Mind Trick, so to make up for that through expedience, she would have to dominate the stormtrooper's mind instinctively. But in order to do so, she would have to abusively break his will because she can't temper it with restraint. Naturally this won't work on anyone strong in will, but its just a stormtrooper

    And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . . 

    he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars— I love you, Anakin. In life, and in death, we will always be one. I am yours


  • DiamondxStyles
    1968 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    The hand movement doesn't mean anything. Yes she can use a mind trick, but she would have to take the quicker and easier path, since she isn't refined yet

    In other words, she used the dark side

    And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . . 

    he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars— I love you, Anakin. In life, and in death, we will always be one. I am yours


  • Rey shouldnt be able to use the force because she is a girl. Its the same with leia. I hate women with power especially supernatural power. They should just stick to wearing slave costumes and kissing their brothers.
  • The hand movement doesn't mean anything. Yes she can use a mind trick, but she would have to take the quicker and easier path, since she isn't refined yet

    In other words, she used the dark side
    We can't say it is the dark side just because she used it instinctually… As far as we have seen, the use of the dark side requires ill intent and/or anger, hatred, fear etc.
    The real problem with the "mind trick" is not that she used a mind trick. It's 'how she used the mind trick.

    Its a silly misconception that a Force user needs training in order to use the Force. They need training to temper their raw power from being sloppy or out of their control.

    Now since as far as I know, she probably shouldn't know exactly how to apply a Mind Trick, so to make up for that through expedience, she would have to dominate the stormtrooper's mind instinctively. But in order to do so, she would have to abusively break his will because she can't temper it with restraint. Naturally this won't work on anyone strong in will, but its just a stormtrooper
    Of course they don't need training to use the Force. They need training to use it purposefully though. Did Anakin or Luke or Leia ever used the Force before they were trained? They didn't even know it was even a thing. Leia never even used the Force actively till TLJ (except for sensing Luke). They were also strong with it by birth. And neither did Rey before she realized she can. Force-sensitives are shown to use the Force coincidentally at times (ending up lifting objects mostly) but mind trick is not one of those. It is a technique for a purpose.

    The real problem with the mind trick is that she shouldn't even know that such a thing is possible in the first place. Like if I use the Force on this stormtrooper's mind and tell him things in a suggestive tone, would that work? How could she have thought of that? Maybe if Kylo did the same to her, but no, she didn't need that.
    The force is present and strong in some beings since birth, it's not something they get infected with one day by accident. It was strong in Luke since birth but Palpatine couldn't detect it until he started using it consciously. It was also strong in Leia but... well she was a woman born in the wrong era XD
    That wasn't the case with Rey though. They added something new with TFA, and the idea the Force may remain latent in an individual only to be surfaced after contact with it (in this case was Anakin's lightsaber) was born. And this is actually one of the things I am not against in ST.
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Rey shouldnt be able to use the force because she is a girl. Its the same with leia. I hate women with power especially supernatural power. They should just stick to wearing slave costumes and kissing their brothers.

    People who think rey is a mary sue are the same people who are too lazy to take their carts to the coral while at walmart. They are not true star wars fans. They are betas who can’t understand how a fictional female character could actually have the capacity to do simple things like fly a space ship or swing a laser sword. It is quite sad to be so pitiful but i guess they make up for it by being total poodoo holes.

    Rey shouldnt be able to use the force because she is a girl. Its the same with leia. I hate women with power especially supernatural power. They should just stick to wearing slave costumes and kissing their brothers.

    Ahsoka Tano, Asajj Ventress, Barriss Offee, Bastila Shan, Meetra Surik… All of them are women, and they are all qualititive characters. Some don't like them, but no one says they are a Mary Sue. Although it is not canon now, Meetra Surik was established as an extremely powerful character back then. No one complained because her story made sense for it.

    Leia never ever used the Force in the original trilogy, and she starts now to do so in such a never seen way. It is immersion breaking.

    I don't know where you live, and how you see all this like that, but just because people don't like one (fictional) woman doesn't mean they hate all the other women.
  • bfloo
    16570 posts Member
    fatsin wrote: »
    The hand movement doesn't mean anything. Yes she can use a mind trick, but she would have to take the quicker and easier path, since she isn't refined yet

    In other words, she used the dark side
    We can't say it is the dark side just because she used it instinctually… As far as we have seen, the use of the dark side requires ill intent and/or anger, hatred, fear etc.
    The real problem with the "mind trick" is not that she used a mind trick. It's 'how she used the mind trick.

    Its a silly misconception that a Force user needs training in order to use the Force. They need training to temper their raw power from being sloppy or out of their control.

    Now since as far as I know, she probably shouldn't know exactly how to apply a Mind Trick, so to make up for that through expedience, she would have to dominate the stormtrooper's mind instinctively. But in order to do so, she would have to abusively break his will because she can't temper it with restraint. Naturally this won't work on anyone strong in will, but its just a stormtrooper
    Of course they don't need training to use the Force. They need training to use it purposefully though. Did Anakin or Luke or Leia ever used the Force before they were trained? They didn't even know it was even a thing. Leia never even used the Force actively till TLJ (except for sensing Luke). They were also strong with it by birth. And neither did Rey before she realized she can. Force-sensitives are shown to use the Force coincidentally at times (ending up lifting objects mostly) but mind trick is not one of those. It is a technique for a purpose.

    The real problem with the mind trick is that she shouldn't even know that such a thing is possible in the first place. Like if I use the Force on this stormtrooper's mind and tell him things in a suggestive tone, would that work? How could she have thought of that? Maybe if Kylo did the same to her, but no, she didn't need that.
    The force is present and strong in some beings since birth, it's not something they get infected with one day by accident. It was strong in Luke since birth but Palpatine couldn't detect it until he started using it consciously. It was also strong in Leia but... well she was a woman born in the wrong era XD
    That wasn't the case with Rey though. They added something new with TFA, and the idea the Force may remain latent in an individual only to be surfaced after contact with it (in this case was Anakin's lightsaber) was born. And this is actually one of the things I am not against in ST.
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Rey shouldnt be able to use the force because she is a girl. Its the same with leia. I hate women with power especially supernatural power. They should just stick to wearing slave costumes and kissing their brothers.

    People who think rey is a mary sue are the same people who are too lazy to take their carts to the coral while at walmart. They are not true star wars fans. They are betas who can’t understand how a fictional female character could actually have the capacity to do simple things like fly a space ship or swing a laser sword. It is quite sad to be so pitiful but i guess they make up for it by being total poodoo holes.

    Rey shouldnt be able to use the force because she is a girl. Its the same with leia. I hate women with power especially supernatural power. They should just stick to wearing slave costumes and kissing their brothers.

    Ahsoka Tano, Asajj Ventress, Barriss Offee, Bastila Shan, Meetra Surik… All of them are women, and they are all qualititive characters. Some don't like them, but no one says they are a Mary Sue. Although it is not canon now, Meetra Surik was established as an extremely powerful character back then. No one complained because her story made sense for it.

    Leia never ever used the Force in the original trilogy, and she starts now to do so in such a never seen way. It is immersion breaking.

    I don't know where you live, and how you see all this like that, but just because people don't like one (fictional) woman doesn't mean they hate all the other women.

    I think it is funny when people assume I hate women characters.

    My fav Jedi and Sith from the old canon are both female (Nomi Sunrider and Darth Zannah), I've said many times Barris had the best overall story arc on CW, I think Aurra Sing is a great character.

    I just don't like poorly written characters.

    If we want some great female leads from other franchises, we Have Ridley (Aliens), Katniss & Joanna (Hunger Games), Sarah Connor (Terminator and T-2), Lara Croft (Tomb Raider), Hermoine and Bellatrix (Harry Potter)...
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • DiamondxStyles
    1968 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    fatsin wrote: »
    The hand movement doesn't mean anything. Yes she can use a mind trick, but she would have to take the quicker and easier path, since she isn't refined yet

    In other words, she used the dark side

    We can't say it is the dark side just because she used it instinctually…

    Yes, but that isn't what I said. I said influencing a mind is instinctive. But Jedi train to apply the Force effectively, and efficiently without causing harm to others.
    fatsin wrote: »
    As far as we have seen, the use of the dark side requires ill intent and/or anger, hatred, fear etc.

    Yes, and she wouldn't be able to clear her mind since she isn't trained, so yeah, she kinda would have to draw upon her fear of being captivity and her desire to escape, and she can do that through instinct.

    The people who made the movie failed to display what would realistically happen. That is the biggest problem. The method of telepathy displayed onscreen is the issue. It appears as though Rey uses a traditional Jedi mind trick:

    Starts with: "You will... [command]" and she says it with raised eyebrows, calmly.

    This is what a trained Jedi would do. This is not how Rey, an untrained Force sensitive would be able to apply it. She would need to dive into the stormtrooper's mind and start crushing it, which is something that any untrained Force sensitive can do when they're afraid or angry. An accurate depiction would be her demanding to be released while the trooper, struggling to resist, starts keeling over holding his head.
    fatsin wrote: »
    Of course they don't need training to use the Force. They need training to use it purposefully though.

    Yeah, that's what I've been tryna say. She can use telepathy, but she wouldn't be able to influence someone's mind calmly, without failing and being forced to snap them like a Bor Gullet.
    fatsin wrote: »
    Did Anakin or Luke or Leia ever used the Force before they were trained?

    Yeah they actually did. Anakin used his reflexes to race pods on Tatooine and win. He dodges obstacles that no human would have even been able to perceive:
    >> Anakin - "Mom, what? I'm not bragging. It's true. Watto said he's never heard of a human doing it.
    >> Qui-Gon - "You must have Jedi reflexes if you race pods"

    _____________

    >> Qui-Gon - "He has special powers"
    >> Shmi - "Yes . . ."
    >> Qui-Gon - "He can see things before they happen. That's why he appears to have such quick reflexes. It is a Jedi trait.

    ______________

    >> A piece of steaming metal flew at him out of the haze, careening off his right engine housing and barely missing his head.

    But the boy was seeing more than with his eyes, sensing with his mind, calm and steady within himself. He could feel the danger waiting, and he worked the thruster bars smoothly, sliding past the wreckage.




    fatsin wrote: »
    They didn't even know it was even a thing. Leia never even used the Force actively till TLJ (except for sensing Luke). They were also strong with it by birth. And neither did Rey before she realized she can. Force-sensitives are shown to use the Force coincidentally at times (ending up lifting objects mostly) but mind trick is not one of those. It is a technique for a purpose.

    What's your point? I've already said she shouldn't be able to apply it just like a Jedi can, but she can still dominate the stormtrooper's mind with her power if she so desires.
    fatsin wrote: »
    The real problem with the mind trick is that she shouldn't even know that such a thing is possible in the first place. Like if I use the Force on this stormtrooper's mind and tell him things in a suggestive tone, would that work? How could she have thought of that? Maybe if Kylo did the same to her, but no, she didn't need that.

    That's what literally what I said: It's how she used it. She shouldn't know how to "mind trick" in Jedi terms, but mind manipulation is just telepathy, and any Force sensitive could invade a weak being's mind and force them to their will, trained or otherwise. Rey would be unable to do an effective "Jedi" mind trick, but she can still overpower their mind, albeit since the stormtrooper will fight back and may have its mind broken, it is a dark thing to do. She doesn't need training to do that. And she doesn't need to "know" how to do that. It's a primal thing

    And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . . 

    he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars— I love you, Anakin. In life, and in death, we will always be one. I am yours


  • Btw @ fatsin you misquoted

    '"The force is present and strong in some beings since birth, it's not something they get infected with one day by accident. It was strong in Luke since birth but Palpatine couldn't detect it until he started using it consciously. It was also strong in Leia but... well she was a woman born in the wrong era XD"

    As mine. That's someone else's reply

    And now he felt her, really felt her in the Force; He felt a bond, deeper and more intimate than he’d ever had before; and for a precious eternal instant he was her. . . 

    he was the beat of her heart and he was the motion of her lips. He was her soft words as though she spoke a prayer to the stars— I love you, Anakin. In life, and in death, we will always be one. I am yours


  • bfloo wrote: »
    fatsin wrote: »
    The hand movement doesn't mean anything. Yes she can use a mind trick, but she would have to take the quicker and easier path, since she isn't refined yet

    In other words, she used the dark side
    We can't say it is the dark side just because she used it instinctually… As far as we have seen, the use of the dark side requires ill intent and/or anger, hatred, fear etc.
    The real problem with the "mind trick" is not that she used a mind trick. It's 'how she used the mind trick.

    Its a silly misconception that a Force user needs training in order to use the Force. They need training to temper their raw power from being sloppy or out of their control.

    Now since as far as I know, she probably shouldn't know exactly how to apply a Mind Trick, so to make up for that through expedience, she would have to dominate the stormtrooper's mind instinctively. But in order to do so, she would have to abusively break his will because she can't temper it with restraint. Naturally this won't work on anyone strong in will, but its just a stormtrooper
    Of course they don't need training to use the Force. They need training to use it purposefully though. Did Anakin or Luke or Leia ever used the Force before they were trained? They didn't even know it was even a thing. Leia never even used the Force actively till TLJ (except for sensing Luke). They were also strong with it by birth. And neither did Rey before she realized she can. Force-sensitives are shown to use the Force coincidentally at times (ending up lifting objects mostly) but mind trick is not one of those. It is a technique for a purpose.

    The real problem with the mind trick is that she shouldn't even know that such a thing is possible in the first place. Like if I use the Force on this stormtrooper's mind and tell him things in a suggestive tone, would that work? How could she have thought of that? Maybe if Kylo did the same to her, but no, she didn't need that.
    The force is present and strong in some beings since birth, it's not something they get infected with one day by accident. It was strong in Luke since birth but Palpatine couldn't detect it until he started using it consciously. It was also strong in Leia but... well she was a woman born in the wrong era XD
    That wasn't the case with Rey though. They added something new with TFA, and the idea the Force may remain latent in an individual only to be surfaced after contact with it (in this case was Anakin's lightsaber) was born. And this is actually one of the things I am not against in ST.
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Rey shouldnt be able to use the force because she is a girl. Its the same with leia. I hate women with power especially supernatural power. They should just stick to wearing slave costumes and kissing their brothers.

    People who think rey is a mary sue are the same people who are too lazy to take their carts to the coral while at walmart. They are not true star wars fans. They are betas who can’t understand how a fictional female character could actually have the capacity to do simple things like fly a space ship or swing a laser sword. It is quite sad to be so pitiful but i guess they make up for it by being total poodoo holes.

    Rey shouldnt be able to use the force because she is a girl. Its the same with leia. I hate women with power especially supernatural power. They should just stick to wearing slave costumes and kissing their brothers.

    Ahsoka Tano, Asajj Ventress, Barriss Offee, Bastila Shan, Meetra Surik… All of them are women, and they are all qualititive characters. Some don't like them, but no one says they are a Mary Sue. Although it is not canon now, Meetra Surik was established as an extremely powerful character back then. No one complained because her story made sense for it.

    Leia never ever used the Force in the original trilogy, and she starts now to do so in such a never seen way. It is immersion breaking.

    I don't know where you live, and how you see all this like that, but just because people don't like one (fictional) woman doesn't mean they hate all the other women.

    I think it is funny when people assume I hate women characters.

    My fav Jedi and Sith from the old canon are both female (Nomi Sunrider and Darth Zannah), I've said many times Barris had the best overall story arc on CW, I think Aurra Sing is a great character.

    I just don't like poorly written characters.

    If we want some great female leads from other franchises, we Have Ridley (Aliens), Katniss & Joanna (Hunger Games), Sarah Connor (Terminator and T-2), Lara Croft (Tomb Raider), Hermoine and Bellatrix (Harry Potter)...

    Those women suck! Poorly written but more importantly poorly liked!
  • bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Anakin was deeply flawed.

    He lost an arm to Dooku and all his limbs to Obi Wan.

    That is hardly a Gary Stu.

    Anakin blew up a war machine space station, because all the other experienced adult pilots were too inept to achieve it.

    I liked far more, if not loved it, a girl who learned to fight to survive since she was a little girl, to beat a poorly trained and wounded sith. We don't have to pick one character or the other, we could just push writers to make more sense. As stated in another answer above, Rey's story could be fixed like they fixed their ridicule flawed first Death Star with Rogue One and it was cool.

    The auto pilot got him there, then he spammed buttons.

    He didn't hop in the fighter 'I know what to do!'

    I can live with luck, then Ani was deeply flawed in the next 2 films.

    Now we have Rey.

    The Falcon breaks, which was basically rigged together by Han and Chewie, who always struggled to fix it, but Rey can fix it in seconds?

    If Crylo's woulds were so bad, how did he destroy Finn right before he lost to Rey? If she used a similar style as she did with her staff, I would not be so bothered by it. Then in TLJ she took Luke down like he was nothing. He should have outclassed her without breaking a sweat.

    The mind trick without the hand movement bothered me. Even Obi Wan and Palps would need to move their hand for it to work.

    Resisting the mind probe I was ok with, she was actually trying to resist it, and we have already seen them resisted by untrained Force sensitives.

    You ***** on Anakin like the other skywalker didn’t have just as many flaws. Luke and Anakin both had flaws and weren’t perfect AND had great things done to the character
  • bfloo
    16570 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Anakin was deeply flawed.

    He lost an arm to Dooku and all his limbs to Obi Wan.

    That is hardly a Gary Stu.

    Anakin blew up a war machine space station, because all the other experienced adult pilots were too inept to achieve it.

    I liked far more, if not loved it, a girl who learned to fight to survive since she was a little girl, to beat a poorly trained and wounded sith. We don't have to pick one character or the other, we could just push writers to make more sense. As stated in another answer above, Rey's story could be fixed like they fixed their ridicule flawed first Death Star with Rogue One and it was cool.

    The auto pilot got him there, then he spammed buttons.

    He didn't hop in the fighter 'I know what to do!'

    I can live with luck, then Ani was deeply flawed in the next 2 films.

    Now we have Rey.

    The Falcon breaks, which was basically rigged together by Han and Chewie, who always struggled to fix it, but Rey can fix it in seconds?

    If Crylo's woulds were so bad, how did he destroy Finn right before he lost to Rey? If she used a similar style as she did with her staff, I would not be so bothered by it. Then in TLJ she took Luke down like he was nothing. He should have outclassed her without breaking a sweat.

    The mind trick without the hand movement bothered me. Even Obi Wan and Palps would need to move their hand for it to work.

    Resisting the mind probe I was ok with, she was actually trying to resist it, and we have already seen them resisted by untrained Force sensitives.

    You ***** on Anakin like the other skywalker didn’t have just as many flaws. Luke and Anakin both had flaws and weren’t perfect AND had great things done to the character

    I was replying against Anakin being accused of being a Gary Stu. Luke was flawed also.

    It made both of their characters relatable.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • bfloo wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Anakin was deeply flawed.

    He lost an arm to Dooku and all his limbs to Obi Wan.

    That is hardly a Gary Stu.

    Anakin blew up a war machine space station, because all the other experienced adult pilots were too inept to achieve it.

    I liked far more, if not loved it, a girl who learned to fight to survive since she was a little girl, to beat a poorly trained and wounded sith. We don't have to pick one character or the other, we could just push writers to make more sense. As stated in another answer above, Rey's story could be fixed like they fixed their ridicule flawed first Death Star with Rogue One and it was cool.

    The auto pilot got him there, then he spammed buttons.

    He didn't hop in the fighter 'I know what to do!'

    I can live with luck, then Ani was deeply flawed in the next 2 films.

    Now we have Rey.

    The Falcon breaks, which was basically rigged together by Han and Chewie, who always struggled to fix it, but Rey can fix it in seconds?

    If Crylo's woulds were so bad, how did he destroy Finn right before he lost to Rey? If she used a similar style as she did with her staff, I would not be so bothered by it. Then in TLJ she took Luke down like he was nothing. He should have outclassed her without breaking a sweat.

    The mind trick without the hand movement bothered me. Even Obi Wan and Palps would need to move their hand for it to work.

    Resisting the mind probe I was ok with, she was actually trying to resist it, and we have already seen them resisted by untrained Force sensitives.

    You ***** on Anakin like the other skywalker didn’t have just as many flaws. Luke and Anakin both had flaws and weren’t perfect AND had great things done to the character

    I was replying against Anakin being accused of being a Gary Stu. Luke was flawed also.

    It made both of their characters relatable.

    And obiwan is a mary mcgoo
  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Anakin was deeply flawed.

    He lost an arm to Dooku and all his limbs to Obi Wan.

    That is hardly a Gary Stu.

    Anakin blew up a war machine space station, because all the other experienced adult pilots were too inept to achieve it.

    I liked far more, if not loved it, a girl who learned to fight to survive since she was a little girl, to beat a poorly trained and wounded sith. We don't have to pick one character or the other, we could just push writers to make more sense. As stated in another answer above, Rey's story could be fixed like they fixed their ridicule flawed first Death Star with Rogue One and it was cool.

    The auto pilot got him there, then he spammed buttons.

    He didn't hop in the fighter 'I know what to do!'

    I can live with luck, then Ani was deeply flawed in the next 2 films.

    Now we have Rey.

    The Falcon breaks, which was basically rigged together by Han and Chewie, who always struggled to fix it, but Rey can fix it in seconds?

    If Crylo's woulds were so bad, how did he destroy Finn right before he lost to Rey? If she used a similar style as she did with her staff, I would not be so bothered by it. Then in TLJ she took Luke down like he was nothing. He should have outclassed her without breaking a sweat.

    The mind trick without the hand movement bothered me. Even Obi Wan and Palps would need to move their hand for it to work.

    Resisting the mind probe I was ok with, she was actually trying to resist it, and we have already seen them resisted by untrained Force sensitives.

    You ***** on Anakin like the other skywalker didn’t have just as many flaws. Luke and Anakin both had flaws and weren’t perfect AND had great things done to the character

    I was replying against Anakin being accused of being a Gary Stu. Luke was flawed also.

    It made both of their characters relatable.

    And obiwan is a mary mcgoo

    Obi-Wan lost a dear friend who he considered a brother at the end of RoS. He lost Qui-gon in TPM. I got beat by Dooku twice in AoTC and RoTS. This Rey fanboy/girl is clearly a troll lmao
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

    Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

    OOM-9 For Battlefront 2


  • bfloo
    16570 posts Member
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Anakin was deeply flawed.

    He lost an arm to Dooku and all his limbs to Obi Wan.

    That is hardly a Gary Stu.

    Anakin blew up a war machine space station, because all the other experienced adult pilots were too inept to achieve it.

    I liked far more, if not loved it, a girl who learned to fight to survive since she was a little girl, to beat a poorly trained and wounded sith. We don't have to pick one character or the other, we could just push writers to make more sense. As stated in another answer above, Rey's story could be fixed like they fixed their ridicule flawed first Death Star with Rogue One and it was cool.

    The auto pilot got him there, then he spammed buttons.

    He didn't hop in the fighter 'I know what to do!'

    I can live with luck, then Ani was deeply flawed in the next 2 films.

    Now we have Rey.

    The Falcon breaks, which was basically rigged together by Han and Chewie, who always struggled to fix it, but Rey can fix it in seconds?

    If Crylo's woulds were so bad, how did he destroy Finn right before he lost to Rey? If she used a similar style as she did with her staff, I would not be so bothered by it. Then in TLJ she took Luke down like he was nothing. He should have outclassed her without breaking a sweat.

    The mind trick without the hand movement bothered me. Even Obi Wan and Palps would need to move their hand for it to work.

    Resisting the mind probe I was ok with, she was actually trying to resist it, and we have already seen them resisted by untrained Force sensitives.

    You ***** on Anakin like the other skywalker didn’t have just as many flaws. Luke and Anakin both had flaws and weren’t perfect AND had great things done to the character

    I was replying against Anakin being accused of being a Gary Stu. Luke was flawed also.

    It made both of their characters relatable.

    And obiwan is a mary mcgoo

    Obi-Wan lost a dear friend who he considered a brother at the end of RoS. He lost Qui-gon in TPM. I got beat by Dooku twice in AoTC and RoTS. This Rey fanboy/girl is clearly a troll lmao

    I hope so.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • bfloo wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Anakin was deeply flawed.

    He lost an arm to Dooku and all his limbs to Obi Wan.

    That is hardly a Gary Stu.

    Anakin blew up a war machine space station, because all the other experienced adult pilots were too inept to achieve it.

    I liked far more, if not loved it, a girl who learned to fight to survive since she was a little girl, to beat a poorly trained and wounded sith. We don't have to pick one character or the other, we could just push writers to make more sense. As stated in another answer above, Rey's story could be fixed like they fixed their ridicule flawed first Death Star with Rogue One and it was cool.

    The auto pilot got him there, then he spammed buttons.

    He didn't hop in the fighter 'I know what to do!'

    I can live with luck, then Ani was deeply flawed in the next 2 films.

    Now we have Rey.

    The Falcon breaks, which was basically rigged together by Han and Chewie, who always struggled to fix it, but Rey can fix it in seconds?

    If Crylo's woulds were so bad, how did he destroy Finn right before he lost to Rey? If she used a similar style as she did with her staff, I would not be so bothered by it. Then in TLJ she took Luke down like he was nothing. He should have outclassed her without breaking a sweat.

    The mind trick without the hand movement bothered me. Even Obi Wan and Palps would need to move their hand for it to work.

    Resisting the mind probe I was ok with, she was actually trying to resist it, and we have already seen them resisted by untrained Force sensitives.

    You ***** on Anakin like the other skywalker didn’t have just as many flaws. Luke and Anakin both had flaws and weren’t perfect AND had great things done to the character

    I was replying against Anakin being accused of being a Gary Stu. Luke was flawed also.

    It made both of their characters relatable.

    I took it the wrong way then. Apologies
  • ROMG4
    3481 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    bfloo wrote: »
    Gary

    BUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

    OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

    Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/150464/the-oom-9-campaigns-over-2-and-a-half-year-anniversary-thread

  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Anakin was deeply flawed.

    He lost an arm to Dooku and all his limbs to Obi Wan.

    That is hardly a Gary Stu.

    Anakin blew up a war machine space station, because all the other experienced adult pilots were too inept to achieve it.

    I liked far more, if not loved it, a girl who learned to fight to survive since she was a little girl, to beat a poorly trained and wounded sith. We don't have to pick one character or the other, we could just push writers to make more sense. As stated in another answer above, Rey's story could be fixed like they fixed their ridicule flawed first Death Star with Rogue One and it was cool.

    The auto pilot got him there, then he spammed buttons.

    He didn't hop in the fighter 'I know what to do!'

    I can live with luck, then Ani was deeply flawed in the next 2 films.

    Now we have Rey.

    The Falcon breaks, which was basically rigged together by Han and Chewie, who always struggled to fix it, but Rey can fix it in seconds?

    If Crylo's woulds were so bad, how did he destroy Finn right before he lost to Rey? If she used a similar style as she did with her staff, I would not be so bothered by it. Then in TLJ she took Luke down like he was nothing. He should have outclassed her without breaking a sweat.

    The mind trick without the hand movement bothered me. Even Obi Wan and Palps would need to move their hand for it to work.

    Resisting the mind probe I was ok with, she was actually trying to resist it, and we have already seen them resisted by untrained Force sensitives.

    You ***** on Anakin like the other skywalker didn’t have just as many flaws. Luke and Anakin both had flaws and weren’t perfect AND had great things done to the character

    I was replying against Anakin being accused of being a Gary Stu. Luke was flawed also.

    It made both of their characters relatable.

    And obiwan is a mary mcgoo

    Obi-Wan lost a dear friend who he considered a brother at the end of RoS. He lost Qui-gon in TPM. I got beat by Dooku twice in AoTC and RoTS. This Rey fanboy/girl is clearly a troll lmao

    You are clearly a jabba fat boy/girl sitting in front of your computer eating helpless cats and other critters.
  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Anakin was deeply flawed.

    He lost an arm to Dooku and all his limbs to Obi Wan.

    That is hardly a Gary Stu.

    Anakin blew up a war machine space station, because all the other experienced adult pilots were too inept to achieve it.

    I liked far more, if not loved it, a girl who learned to fight to survive since she was a little girl, to beat a poorly trained and wounded sith. We don't have to pick one character or the other, we could just push writers to make more sense. As stated in another answer above, Rey's story could be fixed like they fixed their ridicule flawed first Death Star with Rogue One and it was cool.

    The auto pilot got him there, then he spammed buttons.

    He didn't hop in the fighter 'I know what to do!'

    I can live with luck, then Ani was deeply flawed in the next 2 films.

    Now we have Rey.

    The Falcon breaks, which was basically rigged together by Han and Chewie, who always struggled to fix it, but Rey can fix it in seconds?

    If Crylo's woulds were so bad, how did he destroy Finn right before he lost to Rey? If she used a similar style as she did with her staff, I would not be so bothered by it. Then in TLJ she took Luke down like he was nothing. He should have outclassed her without breaking a sweat.

    The mind trick without the hand movement bothered me. Even Obi Wan and Palps would need to move their hand for it to work.

    Resisting the mind probe I was ok with, she was actually trying to resist it, and we have already seen them resisted by untrained Force sensitives.

    You ***** on Anakin like the other skywalker didn’t have just as many flaws. Luke and Anakin both had flaws and weren’t perfect AND had great things done to the character

    I was replying against Anakin being accused of being a Gary Stu. Luke was flawed also.

    It made both of their characters relatable.

    And obiwan is a mary mcgoo

    Obi-Wan lost a dear friend who he considered a brother at the end of RoS. He lost Qui-gon in TPM. I got beat by Dooku twice in AoTC and RoTS. This Rey fanboy/girl is clearly a troll lmao

    You are clearly a jabba fat boy/girl sitting in front of your computer eating helpless cats and other critters.

    Man you come up with the craziest crap to say. Clearly a troll
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

    Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

    OOM-9 For Battlefront 2


  • hosco33 wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Hope you are trolling, so you like to watch mindless action that doesn’t even make sense? You’d like to see some more terrible writing about how Rey was able to mind trick without ANY training? Sounds terrible. Rey is almost if not as bad as Rose.(maybe even worse)

    I think she has the potential of a prequel that explains how she's always been strong with the force since she was a little child, unknowingly manipulating weak minds.

    I don't like weak plots but I think Rey has a lot of potential if we accept what Star Wars has given to us before.

    You realize that if they made any kind of prequel for her that it would fail, the character has already been ruined, ST has already been ruined.
  • hosco33 wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    hosco33 wrote: »
    Of course he's not a Mary Sue because he's a male and fandom is compound in large degree of males who don't really like women. Anakin is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu by excellence and just a few of us complained.

    I understand there have been plenty of mistakes in recent movies (not only Star Wars) but Rey was not one of them and it would bore me to dead if I have had to wait three movies until she kicks ***** off. It's a shame only a few of us liked her because it would be awesome to see a series of how she unknowingly experienced the force before the Force Awakens events happened and how she started to mind trick some weak minds to survive the loneliness and starvation.

    I don't think it's lazy writing when they don't explain everything in one single chapter or movie, I'm fed up of being explained how Batman became Batman or Spiderman was bitten by a spider. Prequels are playing a good role to satisfy the interest in knowing more about origins. Such interest is null when watching the movie of a brand new haracter for first time when we're still unfamiliar with her/him.

    Anakin was deeply flawed.

    He lost an arm to Dooku and all his limbs to Obi Wan.

    That is hardly a Gary Stu.

    Anakin blew up a war machine space station, because all the other experienced adult pilots were too inept to achieve it.

    I liked far more, if not loved it, a girl who learned to fight to survive since she was a little girl, to beat a poorly trained and wounded sith. We don't have to pick one character or the other, we could just push writers to make more sense. As stated in another answer above, Rey's story could be fixed like they fixed their ridicule flawed first Death Star with Rogue One and it was cool.

    So that's what this is all about, you like that they have a girl that shouldn't be but is OP, if it was a guy you would hate it but it's a girl so it's different? There are plenty of strong hero women in starwars, Leia, Ahsoka, Padme, all of which did some amazing things and are important to the story, but none of them where OP. ST gave us a woman that had never used the force before but somehow was able to defeat a "sith" who had been training since he was a child, a woman that was just overall stupid and "saved" finn so that he wouldn't be an actual hero, and a woman who completely disregarded how hyper space works and killed herself by trying to be a hero. Remember The Empire Strikes Back when luke is picking up small rocks for training? Then jump to Rey picking up hundreds of boulders after just learning she had the force a few days ago. Anakin had a ton of flaws, Rey doesnt, they make her a better pilot than han, stronger with the force than Anakin and Luke combined and more annoying than Jar Jar, they have ruined ST and when the new movie comes out all I hope is that they don't ruin starwars, I don't consider it star wars anymore, its merely bad written fan fiction.
  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    People who think rey is a mary sue are the same people who are too lazy to take their carts to the coral while at walmart. They are not true star wars fans. They are betas who can’t understand how a fictional female character could actually have the capacity to do simple things like fly a space ship or swing a laser sword. It is quite sad to be so pitiful but i guess they make up for it by being total poodoo holes.

    You sound like a 5 year old child there, whining because people don't agree, as I have said there are plenty of strong female women in the star wars universe, Leia, Ahsoka, and Padme to name a few, they where all very important to the story, Leia was just an all around boss, Ahsoka was a jedi and a good one at that, and Padme was a senator that wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty. None of us are saying she is bad because she is a woman, we are saying she is bad because it doesnt make sense, so please, next time you say something come up with an actual argument, not just calling people "poodoo holes".
  • hosco33 wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    The auto pilot got him there, then he spammed buttons.

    He didn't hop in the fighter 'I know what to do!'

    I can live with luck, then Ani was deeply flawed in the next 2 films.

    Alright, then we are different consumers and Star Wars is for all of us. I personally HATE luck, I really deeply dislike those pseudo-heroes that "didn't want to be a hero" (except Han Solo, which was one of the first ones being like that before the abuse of the figure in movies for the next 20 years) but for some circumstance start doing the right thing.

    bfloo wrote: »
    Now we have Rey.

    The Falcon breaks, which was basically rigged together by Han and Chewie, who always struggled to fix it, but Rey can fix it in seconds?

    Correct, I loved that. No more ineptitude, no more luck (still she's humble to say "That was lucky"), just pure raw unleashed skills. It really bothers me ineptitude, I hate Kung Fu Panda, silly-fat ***** beating enemies by mere accident. But many, manym people loved him, it's ok, I could respect that if that is not the only damned hero they want to feed us up with.

    bfloo wrote: »

    If Crylo's woulds were so bad, how did he destroy Finn right before he lost to Rey? If she used a similar style as she did with her staff, I would not be so bothered by it. Then in TLJ she took Luke down like he was nothing. He should have outclassed her without breaking a sweat.

    Because Rey is stronger than Finn, though I agree about the staff-style and tooking down master Luke so easily, whom is also a Gary Stu since he blew up the first Death Star without any combat training, just because he was able to shoot womp rats??, of course it was the force, and he learned about the force a few hours/days ago, still the force was stronger in him than in average living creatures. So every Star Wars saga has its own Mary Sues/Gary Stus but Rey is the one I liked the most and I think many people are pushing an anti-woke agenda. I'm a male, of course I don't fit the woke agenda, but that doesn't mean the counter part will manipulate me.

    bfloo wrote: »
    The mind trick without the hand movement bothered me. Even Obi Wan and Palps would need to move their hand for it to work.

    Resisting the mind probe I was ok with, she was actually trying to resist it, and we have already seen them resisted by untrained Force sensitives.

    I can live with that, that can be fixed by explaining how she's been playing with the force since she was a young girl without knowing she was.

    fatsin wrote: »
    The chances that she learned it coincidentally in her past is also impossible because the Force awakened inside her during the TFA. So, there is no way to fix this. The only explanation is she is a Mary Sue.

    The force is present and strong in some beings since birth, it's not something they get infected with one day by accident. It was strong in Luke since birth but Palpatine couldn't detect it until he started using it consciously. It was also strong in Leia but... well she was a woman born in the wrong era XD

    Let me just say, What? It is Hans ship, he had trouble fixing it, but someone a woman who has never seen it before can do a better job than him? How is she better than Finn, Finn was a trained stormtrooper, Rey was nothing, she came from nothing, no training, had they 2v1d him and managed to defeat him I would have been like "ya, that makes more sense" but no, it's just plain bad writing. Luke is not a "Mary sue" he had done an incredible thing, he had used the force, he had already flown ships and stuff, your arguments are all bad. Sure the force is present with them, but they need training. Mind trick is a hard skill to master and Rey did it for the first time with no problems.
  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    Rey shouldnt be able to use the force because she is a girl. Its the same with leia. I hate women with power especially supernatural power. They should just stick to wearing slave costumes and kissing their brothers.

    Again, your arguments are so bad, sounds like a child using sarcasm for the first time, no one, literally no one here is hating on her because she is a woman.
  • fatsin wrote: »
    The hand movement doesn't mean anything. Yes she can use a mind trick, but she would have to take the quicker and easier path, since she isn't refined yet

    In other words, she used the dark side
    We can't say it is the dark side just because she used it instinctually… As far as we have seen, the use of the dark side requires ill intent and/or anger, hatred, fear etc.
    The real problem with the "mind trick" is not that she used a mind trick. It's 'how she used the mind trick.

    Its a silly misconception that a Force user needs training in order to use the Force. They need training to temper their raw power from being sloppy or out of their control.

    Now since as far as I know, she probably shouldn't know exactly how to apply a Mind Trick, so to make up for that through expedience, she would have to dominate the stormtrooper's mind instinctively. But in order to do so, she would have to abusively break his will because she can't temper it with restraint. Naturally this won't work on anyone strong in will, but its just a stormtrooper
    Of course they don't need training to use the Force. They need training to use it purposefully though. Did Anakin or Luke or Leia ever used the Force before they were trained? They didn't even know it was even a thing. Leia never even used the Force actively till TLJ (except for sensing Luke). They were also strong with it by birth. And neither did Rey before she realized she can. Force-sensitives are shown to use the Force coincidentally at times (ending up lifting objects mostly) but mind trick is not one of those. It is a technique for a purpose.

    The real problem with the mind trick is that she shouldn't even know that such a thing is possible in the first place. Like if I use the Force on this stormtrooper's mind and tell him things in a suggestive tone, would that work? How could she have thought of that? Maybe if Kylo did the same to her, but no, she didn't need that.
    The force is present and strong in some beings since birth, it's not something they get infected with one day by accident. It was strong in Luke since birth but Palpatine couldn't detect it until he started using it consciously. It was also strong in Leia but... well she was a woman born in the wrong era XD
    That wasn't the case with Rey though. They added something new with TFA, and the idea the Force may remain latent in an individual only to be surfaced after contact with it (in this case was Anakin's lightsaber) was born. And this is actually one of the things I am not against in ST.
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Rey shouldnt be able to use the force because she is a girl. Its the same with leia. I hate women with power especially supernatural power. They should just stick to wearing slave costumes and kissing their brothers.

    People who think rey is a mary sue are the same people who are too lazy to take their carts to the coral while at walmart. They are not true star wars fans. They are betas who can’t understand how a fictional female character could actually have the capacity to do simple things like fly a space ship or swing a laser sword. It is quite sad to be so pitiful but i guess they make up for it by being total poodoo holes.

    Rey shouldnt be able to use the force because she is a girl. Its the same with leia. I hate women with power especially supernatural power. They should just stick to wearing slave costumes and kissing their brothers.

    Ahsoka Tano, Asajj Ventress, Barriss Offee, Bastila Shan, Meetra Surik… All of them are women, and they are all qualititive characters. Some don't like them, but no one says they are a Mary Sue. Although it is not canon now, Meetra Surik was established as an extremely powerful character back then. No one complained because her story made sense for it.

    Leia never ever used the Force in the original trilogy, and she starts now to do so in such a never seen way. It is immersion breaking.

    I don't know where you live, and how you see all this like that, but just because people don't like one (fictional) woman doesn't mean they hate all the other women.

    Every other force user we have seen has had to do a ton of training, and they have struggles, they don't just become a master with the force because someone says they have it, I haven't seen TFA or TLJ in awhile so I can't remember 100% how Rey learned she had it but I do 100% remember that she never trained, just terrible writing.
  • fatsin wrote: »
    The hand movement doesn't mean anything. Yes she can use a mind trick, but she would have to take the quicker and easier path, since she isn't refined yet

    In other words, she used the dark side
    We can't say it is the dark side just because she used it instinctually… As far as we have seen, the use of the dark side requires ill intent and/or anger, hatred, fear etc.
    The real problem with the "mind trick" is not that she used a mind trick. It's 'how she used the mind trick.

    Its a silly misconception that a Force user needs training in order to use the Force. They need training to temper their raw power from being sloppy or out of their control.

    Now since as far as I know, she probably shouldn't know exactly how to apply a Mind Trick, so to make up for that through expedience, she would have to dominate the stormtrooper's mind instinctively. But in order to do so, she would have to abusively break his will because she can't temper it with restraint. Naturally this won't work on anyone strong in will, but its just a stormtrooper
    Of course they don't need training to use the Force. They need training to use it purposefully though. Did Anakin or Luke or Leia ever used the Force before they were trained? They didn't even know it was even a thing. Leia never even used the Force actively till TLJ (except for sensing Luke). They were also strong with it by birth. And neither did Rey before she realized she can. Force-sensitives are shown to use the Force coincidentally at times (ending up lifting objects mostly) but mind trick is not one of those. It is a technique for a purpose.

    The real problem with the mind trick is that she shouldn't even know that such a thing is possible in the first place. Like if I use the Force on this stormtrooper's mind and tell him things in a suggestive tone, would that work? How could she have thought of that? Maybe if Kylo did the same to her, but no, she didn't need that.
    The force is present and strong in some beings since birth, it's not something they get infected with one day by accident. It was strong in Luke since birth but Palpatine couldn't detect it until he started using it consciously. It was also strong in Leia but... well she was a woman born in the wrong era XD
    That wasn't the case with Rey though. They added something new with TFA, and the idea the Force may remain latent in an individual only to be surfaced after contact with it (in this case was Anakin's lightsaber) was born. And this is actually one of the things I am not against in ST.
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Rey shouldnt be able to use the force because she is a girl. Its the same with leia. I hate women with power especially supernatural power. They should just stick to wearing slave costumes and kissing their brothers.

    People who think rey is a mary sue are the same people who are too lazy to take their carts to the coral while at walmart. They are not true star wars fans. They are betas who can’t understand how a fictional female character could actually have the capacity to do simple things like fly a space ship or swing a laser sword. It is quite sad to be so pitiful but i guess they make up for it by being total poodoo holes.

    Rey shouldnt be able to use the force because she is a girl. Its the same with leia. I hate women with power especially supernatural power. They should just stick to wearing slave costumes and kissing their brothers.

    Ahsoka Tano, Asajj Ventress, Barriss Offee, Bastila Shan, Meetra Surik… All of them are women, and they are all qualititive characters. Some don't like them, but no one says they are a Mary Sue. Although it is not canon now, Meetra Surik was established as an extremely powerful character back then. No one complained because her story made sense for it.

    Leia never ever used the Force in the original trilogy, and she starts now to do so in such a never seen way. It is immersion breaking.

    I don't know where you live, and how you see all this like that, but just because people don't like one (fictional) woman doesn't mean they hate all the other women.

    Every other force user we have seen has had to do a ton of training, and they have struggles, they don't just become a master with the force because someone says they have it, I haven't seen TFA or TLJ in awhile so I can't remember 100% how Rey learned she had it but I do 100% remember that she never trained, just terrible writing.

    Baby yoda and young anakin did not need training to use the force. It is more like bad comprehending then bad writing but i see where it could be easy to confuse. You sound like a 50 year old baby yoda if baby yoda wasn’t cute and pooped a lot.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!