criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

If the empire had 25,000 star destroyers, how did the rebellion assume control after episode 6?

I know it's just a movie and blah blah, but even if the empire lost the second death star and the emperor and Darth Vader, why would that be the end of it?

If the regional governors were now the only people in positions of power across the galaxy and were originally put in place by palpatine (personally I assume) and reported directly to him. Then they were most likely extremely loyal to the current set up of the empire and enjoyed how things were run. So surely there would always of been a contingency plan in place to determine a new ruler in case palps died.

There has been many many civilizations on Earth with similar ruling bodies that were similar to the empire, and yet they didn't see any kind of instant collapse the moment the ruler died. Rome obviously being one of the best examples of that.

Surely the rebellion would of just been seen as terrorists within the greater community and even though their actions struck at the heart of the empire, they didn't have the military might with which to assume control of the galaxy and put things back the way they were during the republic times.

Star wars is supposed to be mainly based on world war 2 and the defeat of the bad man (profanity filter blocks his name I think?). Yet there is a huge difference. After the defeat of the ***** at the end of ww2, the allied powers had military supremacy and could dictate terms to Germany using the threat of annihilation and their bargaining tool. The rebellion doesn't have anything like this.

The empire still has the 25,000 star destroyers throughout the galaxy, and the rebellion has what? Just those ships at Endor? Like a few dozen maybe?

So at the end of Return of the Jedi, what leverage does the rebellion now have against the rest of the galaxy's leadership to dictate terms? Because we saw over and over again that there were highly ambitious empire officers, that were very high up in the military that certainly would be willing to take on the job of emperor if given the chance. E.g. any of the admirals, general veers, and that guy in the boardroom in episode 4 who stood up to Vader, and then got wrecked haha. So even if the governors decided for a republic again (which still is probably highly unlikely), then it seems it wouldn't even matter because the greed and ambition of what the emperor created, clearly had sunk in so deep throughout the military that they would most likely assume control themselves.

Replies

  • This feels like it’s off topic but there’s quite a few videos that go over it. I believe it came down to waste, the emperor squirreling a chunk away to the unknown region and other nonsense. At the end, those who didn’t get whisked away for episode 9 went to jakku and the New republic launched their attack with all the ships they fast tracked into production. Basically in under a year the new republic militarized heavily to defeat the remnants then quickly demilitarized shortly thereafter
  • Rinku
    153 posts Member
    Legends books explain it pretty well.

    According to Thrawn, What drove practically all Imperials was Palpatine. They had to accept his death on the second Death Star. And with him gone, there was simply nothing to fight for. Prior to the OT Palpatine had been described as a beloved figure and a great leader. With no leader to lead them, there is simply nothing to fight for.
    Open your eyes...
    ekn97qol2xso.gif

  • Did you not play the campaign ?

    RE: Operation Cinder
    PSN: DarthLando-
  • This feels like it’s off topic but there’s quite a few videos that go over it. I believe it came down to waste, the emperor squirreling a chunk away to the unknown region and other nonsense. At the end, those who didn’t get whisked away for episode 9 went to jakku and the New republic launched their attack with all the ships they fast tracked into production. Basically in under a year the new republic militarized heavily to defeat the remnants then quickly demilitarized shortly thereafter

    With what the star wars universe tells us of star destroyer production, that's just impossible for the new republic to come up with a navy that could rival 25,000 star destroyers in just one year.

    That's 68 ships of equal strength they would have to produce each day. Whilst under the constant pressure of the empire's fleet.

    It took the empire like 20 years to build their fleet and the emperor enslaved world's to get it all done as well so his costs would of been way lower. Which also makes you wonder, who in the hell is paying for these 25,000 or so massive warships for the new republic? People are just gona work on these things for free? They'll just start thinking they're slaves to a new group of people and refuse.

    The richest guy in the galaxy (palps) had 25k ships at the height of his power and he really enjoyed power haha so we can assume that was close to the maximum warships he could of had for the wealth he had. Plus the death stars. Yet I'm supposed to believed some rag tag group of rebels gathered together enough money to pay for their own navy of the same size? ...I don't think so.
  • Rinku wrote: »
    Legends books explain it pretty well.

    According to Thrawn, What drove practically all Imperials was Palpatine. They had to accept his death on the second Death Star. And with him gone, there was simply nothing to fight for. Prior to the OT Palpatine had been described as a beloved figure and a great leader. With no leader to lead them, there is simply nothing to fight for.

    Yeah but if a leader dies, people chose a new one. How is a whole galactic civilization so caught up with this one guy that if he dies, they are distraught to the point that everything they've worked for dies with him?

    Also they didn't seem very attached to his supreme power in episode 4 to the point of fully believing he could even maintain power by himself. That one guy in the boardroom was shocked to hear palps had dissolved the council and replaced it with himself only and the governors below him.

    So only a few years prior to episode 6 they still even had a working remnant of the republic that the people seemed to believe in. So whatever that book says, doesn't seem too logical. I mean sure it's written to obviously try and fit everything together right. But it's just not believable I feel.

    It's probably not believable because if it all really did happen, then it wouldn't of had the same happy ending we saw. It wouldn't of been so dramatic or joyful, but rather just "onto the next emperor" haha.
  • It's always been a topic of discussion. In the old canon, the Empire split into factions and warlords after ROTJ. The new republic gradually grew in strength, taking advantage of infighting between Imperial factions.

    In the new canon, it seems the Empire is playing dead. They stacked away forces which became the backbone of the First Order. Just enough was left behind to engage the new republic at Jakku and make a truce.

    Either way, the numbers have never truly added up. Either the numbers were over bloated for the Empire, or underrepresented for the Rebellion/New Republic.
  • DarthLando wrote: »
    Did you not play the campaign ?

    RE: Operation Cinder

    Yeah. I forgot most of it though. Which is weird, because I remember I enjoyed it haha. I don't remember anything about what happened to the 25,000 star destroyers though. I saw some destroyed on jakku. That was hardly any though.
  • It's always been a topic of discussion. In the old canon, the Empire split into factions and warlords after ROTJ. The new republic gradually grew in strength, taking advantage of infighting between Imperial factions.

    In the new canon, it seems the Empire is playing dead. They stacked away forces which became the backbone of the First Order. Just enough was left behind to engage the new republic at Jakku and make a truce.

    Either way, the numbers have never truly added up. Either the numbers were over bloated for the Empire, or underrepresented for the Rebellion/New Republic.

    I see. Do you know the hierarchical structure of the empire's military? Was it similar to that of the American military in the sense that the bulk of the armed forces were under the rule of the only a few departments that reported directly to palpatine, and then the regional governors had like their own little armies, like the US national guard who then would police the systems?

    If it is done that way, then it doesn't seem like many factions could come about from a split of any kind within such a system. Governors would have little to no control really. The only splits would be between the major military departments, similar to today's navy and army splitting out from under US political leadership for example.

    It's just very hard to imagine that this little group of rebels, that had only one planet at a time to live on, could match anything the empire had. Even 10% of the empire's navy surely could crush a rebel fleet that had been on the run for decades and which looked like they only had a few dozen ships.

    Does anyone have any details on the infrastructure the rebels used to build their fleet which could challenge even a faction 10% the size of the original empire? So 2500 star destroyers? I think that number is being quite conservative at this point, considering we're talking about a empire that had the ability to pacify the whole galaxy if it wished.

    So, yeah, anyone know where the rebels built their fleet and exactly how they paid for it and how many ships they could churn out within a year or so?
  • Rinku wrote: »
    Legends books explain it pretty well.

    According to Thrawn, What drove practically all Imperials was Palpatine. They had to accept his death on the second Death Star. And with him gone, there was simply nothing to fight for. Prior to the OT Palpatine had been described as a beloved figure and a great leader. With no leader to lead them, there is simply nothing to fight for.

    Yeah but if a leader dies, people chose a new one. How is a whole galactic civilization so caught up with this one guy that if he dies, they are distraught to the point that everything they've worked for dies with him?

    Also they didn't seem very attached to his supreme power in episode 4 to the point of fully believing he could even maintain power by himself. That one guy in the boardroom was shocked to hear palps had dissolved the council and replaced it with himself only and the governors below him.

    So only a few years prior to episode 6 they still even had a working remnant of the republic that the people seemed to believe in. So whatever that book says, doesn't seem too logical. I mean sure it's written to obviously try and fit everything together right. But it's just not believable I feel.

    It's probably not believable because if it all really did happen, then it wouldn't of had the same happy ending we saw. It wouldn't of been so dramatic or joyful, but rather just "onto the next emperor" haha.

    That is not how an Empire works, the Emperor is neither elected nor chosen. The Emperor is in power because he either seized it or came through a inheritance.

    But more specifically, this was a galaxy-wide Empire, it's not a matter of simply getting a replacement and easily control every planet. That is pretty much the plotpoint of A New Hope. A few lines of dialogue:


    Governor Tarkin: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.

    General Tagge: That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?

    Governor Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.


    That alone should give you a clue that it's not easy to submit an entire galaxy that was not happy with the Empire. Once word got out that the Emperor had died it was probably much easier for the Rebellion to amass a bigger army and sway those uneager planets who wouldn't join before out of fear. So it's not really far-fetched.


  • plot armor
  • anidriX wrote: »
    Rinku wrote: »
    Legends books explain it pretty well.

    According to Thrawn, What drove practically all Imperials was Palpatine. They had to accept his death on the second Death Star. And with him gone, there was simply nothing to fight for. Prior to the OT Palpatine had been described as a beloved figure and a great leader. With no leader to lead them, there is simply nothing to fight for.

    Yeah but if a leader dies, people chose a new one. How is a whole galactic civilization so caught up with this one guy that if he dies, they are distraught to the point that everything they've worked for dies with him?

    Also they didn't seem very attached to his supreme power in episode 4 to the point of fully believing he could even maintain power by himself. That one guy in the boardroom was shocked to hear palps had dissolved the council and replaced it with himself only and the governors below him.

    So only a few years prior to episode 6 they still even had a working remnant of the republic that the people seemed to believe in. So whatever that book says, doesn't seem too logical. I mean sure it's written to obviously try and fit everything together right. But it's just not believable I feel.

    It's probably not believable because if it all really did happen, then it wouldn't of had the same happy ending we saw. It wouldn't of been so dramatic or joyful, but rather just "onto the next emperor" haha.

    That is not how an Empire works, the Emperor is neither elected nor chosen. The Emperor is in power because he either seized it or came through a inheritance.

    But more specifically, this was a galaxy-wide Empire, it's not a matter of simply getting a replacement and easily control every planet. That is pretty much the plotpoint of A New Hope. A few lines of dialogue:


    Governor Tarkin: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.

    General Tagge: That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?

    Governor Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.


    That alone should give you a clue that it's not easy to submit an entire galaxy that was not happy with the Empire. Once word got out that the Emperor had died it was probably much easier for the Rebellion to amass a bigger army and sway those uneager planets who wouldn't join before out of fear. So it's not really far-fetched.


    Well I have said many times now that someone else would of seized power. So I don't see what I've said wrong about an empire. If there are no heirs, then either someone seizes control or cooler heads prevail and a decision is made by the ruling caste. It obviously cannot follow strict Earth rules of what an empire is defined as when it comes to succession because palps has no known relatives (at least none I know of), and he never chose anyone, other than maybe Vader, to rule once he passed.

    Oh c'mon, the empire got on fine without the death star. It even got destroyed and they would of lost major military respect throughout the galaxy because of it and still no one stood up to them for years and years and they managed to maintain order through use of the fleet anyway. Tarkin was just grandstanding and proud of his new toy. Both death stars were totally useless to the empire in every way possible pretty much. Other than destroy Alderaan, they did nothing else but explode. Star destroyers was where the empire got its power from and maintained order.

    So that means the governors still had direct control of their systems and whoever then assumed command of the fleet was then the ruler of the galaxy.

    It might not of even been an empire in the technical use of the word after palps died, but the idea of what it was would probably of lived on through whomever came out on top of a power struggle between the military leadership if the sequel trilogy had of gone down the more logical path. Also in my opinion is way more logical than just totally disassembly of the empire.

    Also you mentioned the rebellion amassed a bigger army than the empire. Where'd they get it from? And in how short of a time? The number of 25,000 star destroyers is pretty universally accepted. If it's not, then it damn well should be, considering we're talking about control of an entire galaxy. So this rebellion fleet would have to rival that.
  • anidriX
    1404 posts Member
    anidriX wrote: »
    Rinku wrote: »
    Legends books explain it pretty well.

    According to Thrawn, What drove practically all Imperials was Palpatine. They had to accept his death on the second Death Star. And with him gone, there was simply nothing to fight for. Prior to the OT Palpatine had been described as a beloved figure and a great leader. With no leader to lead them, there is simply nothing to fight for.

    Yeah but if a leader dies, people chose a new one. How is a whole galactic civilization so caught up with this one guy that if he dies, they are distraught to the point that everything they've worked for dies with him?

    Also they didn't seem very attached to his supreme power in episode 4 to the point of fully believing he could even maintain power by himself. That one guy in the boardroom was shocked to hear palps had dissolved the council and replaced it with himself only and the governors below him.

    So only a few years prior to episode 6 they still even had a working remnant of the republic that the people seemed to believe in. So whatever that book says, doesn't seem too logical. I mean sure it's written to obviously try and fit everything together right. But it's just not believable I feel.

    It's probably not believable because if it all really did happen, then it wouldn't of had the same happy ending we saw. It wouldn't of been so dramatic or joyful, but rather just "onto the next emperor" haha.

    That is not how an Empire works, the Emperor is neither elected nor chosen. The Emperor is in power because he either seized it or came through a inheritance.

    But more specifically, this was a galaxy-wide Empire, it's not a matter of simply getting a replacement and easily control every planet. That is pretty much the plotpoint of A New Hope. A few lines of dialogue:


    Governor Tarkin: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.

    General Tagge: That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?

    Governor Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.


    That alone should give you a clue that it's not easy to submit an entire galaxy that was not happy with the Empire. Once word got out that the Emperor had died it was probably much easier for the Rebellion to amass a bigger army and sway those uneager planets who wouldn't join before out of fear. So it's not really far-fetched.


    Well I have said many times now that someone else would of seized power. So I don't see what I've said wrong about an empire. If there are no heirs, then either someone seizes control or cooler heads prevail and a decision is made by the ruling caste. It obviously cannot follow strict Earth rules of what an empire is defined as when it comes to succession because palps has no known relatives (at least none I know of), and he never chose anyone, other than maybe Vader, to rule once he passed.

    Oh c'mon, the empire got on fine without the death star. It even got destroyed and they would of lost major military respect throughout the galaxy because of it and still no one stood up to them for years and years and they managed to maintain order through use of the fleet anyway. Tarkin was just grandstanding and proud of his new toy. Both death stars were totally useless to the empire in every way possible pretty much. Other than destroy Alderaan, they did nothing else but explode. Star destroyers was where the empire got its power from and maintained order.

    So that means the governors still had direct control of their systems and whoever then assumed command of the fleet was then the ruler of the galaxy.

    It might not of even been an empire in the technical use of the word after palps died, but the idea of what it was would probably of lived on through whomever came out on top of a power struggle between the military leadership if the sequel trilogy had of gone down the more logical path. Also in my opinion is way more logical than just totally disassembly of the empire.

    Also you mentioned the rebellion amassed a bigger army than the empire. Where'd they get it from? And in how short of a time? The number of 25,000 star destroyers is pretty universally accepted. If it's not, then it damn well should be, considering we're talking about control of an entire galaxy. So this rebellion fleet would have to rival that.

    You say "someone would of seized power" very lightly. It's not as simple as saying "I'll do it". Palpatine was a powerful sith lord and had that to back his claim on top of having being elected as Chancellor prior to that. It's not like any Admiral or General around could've done it.

    As seen in that excerpt of dialogue, prior to the first Death Star, there was still some form of "democracy", an idea of dialog while the Imperial Senate was still in place. Once they got their super weapon to go full oppresive, the Senate was dissolved. And even as strong of a leader as Palpatine, he knew it he needed fear to keep the planets in check from the very beginning. Like Leia says to Tarkin:

    Princess Leia Organa: The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.
    Governor Tarkin: Not after we demonstrate the power of this station. [...]


    Sure, the Empire still seems to be on top of things in ESB but they eventually start building another one shortly after.

    If I'm honest, I've never heard that "25000 Star Destroyers" bit before but I also didn't say the Rebellion amassed a bigger fleet than the Empire, just that Palpatine's death probably made it easier to gather more forces after the Battle of Endor.
  • anidriX wrote: »
    anidriX wrote: »
    Rinku wrote: »
    Legends books explain it pretty well.

    According to Thrawn, What drove practically all Imperials was Palpatine. They had to accept his death on the second Death Star. And with him gone, there was simply nothing to fight for. Prior to the OT Palpatine had been described as a beloved figure and a great leader. With no leader to lead them, there is simply nothing to fight for.

    Yeah but if a leader dies, people chose a new one. How is a whole galactic civilization so caught up with this one guy that if he dies, they are distraught to the point that everything they've worked for dies with him?

    Also they didn't seem very attached to his supreme power in episode 4 to the point of fully believing he could even maintain power by himself. That one guy in the boardroom was shocked to hear palps had dissolved the council and replaced it with himself only and the governors below him.

    So only a few years prior to episode 6 they still even had a working remnant of the republic that the people seemed to believe in. So whatever that book says, doesn't seem too logical. I mean sure it's written to obviously try and fit everything together right. But it's just not believable I feel.

    It's probably not believable because if it all really did happen, then it wouldn't of had the same happy ending we saw. It wouldn't of been so dramatic or joyful, but rather just "onto the next emperor" haha.

    That is not how an Empire works, the Emperor is neither elected nor chosen. The Emperor is in power because he either seized it or came through a inheritance.

    But more specifically, this was a galaxy-wide Empire, it's not a matter of simply getting a replacement and easily control every planet. That is pretty much the plotpoint of A New Hope. A few lines of dialogue:


    Governor Tarkin: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.

    General Tagge: That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?

    Governor Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.


    That alone should give you a clue that it's not easy to submit an entire galaxy that was not happy with the Empire. Once word got out that the Emperor had died it was probably much easier for the Rebellion to amass a bigger army and sway those uneager planets who wouldn't join before out of fear. So it's not really far-fetched.


    Well I have said many times now that someone else would of seized power. So I don't see what I've said wrong about an empire. If there are no heirs, then either someone seizes control or cooler heads prevail and a decision is made by the ruling caste. It obviously cannot follow strict Earth rules of what an empire is defined as when it comes to succession because palps has no known relatives (at least none I know of), and he never chose anyone, other than maybe Vader, to rule once he passed.

    Oh c'mon, the empire got on fine without the death star. It even got destroyed and they would of lost major military respect throughout the galaxy because of it and still no one stood up to them for years and years and they managed to maintain order through use of the fleet anyway. Tarkin was just grandstanding and proud of his new toy. Both death stars were totally useless to the empire in every way possible pretty much. Other than destroy Alderaan, they did nothing else but explode. Star destroyers was where the empire got its power from and maintained order.

    So that means the governors still had direct control of their systems and whoever then assumed command of the fleet was then the ruler of the galaxy.

    It might not of even been an empire in the technical use of the word after palps died, but the idea of what it was would probably of lived on through whomever came out on top of a power struggle between the military leadership if the sequel trilogy had of gone down the more logical path. Also in my opinion is way more logical than just totally disassembly of the empire.

    Also you mentioned the rebellion amassed a bigger army than the empire. Where'd they get it from? And in how short of a time? The number of 25,000 star destroyers is pretty universally accepted. If it's not, then it damn well should be, considering we're talking about control of an entire galaxy. So this rebellion fleet would have to rival that.

    You say "someone would of seized power" very lightly. It's not as simple as saying "I'll do it". Palpatine was a powerful sith lord and had that to back his claim on top of having being elected as Chancellor prior to that. It's not like any Admiral or General around could've done it.

    As seen in that excerpt of dialogue, prior to the first Death Star, there was still some form of "democracy", an idea of dialog while the Imperial Senate was still in place. Once they got their super weapon to go full oppresive, the Senate was dissolved. And even as strong of a leader as Palpatine, he knew it he needed fear to keep the planets in check from the very beginning. Like Leia says to Tarkin:

    Princess Leia Organa: The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.
    Governor Tarkin: Not after we demonstrate the power of this station. [...]


    Sure, the Empire still seems to be on top of things in ESB but they eventually start building another one shortly after.

    If I'm honest, I've never heard that "25000 Star Destroyers" bit before but I also didn't say the Rebellion amassed a bigger fleet than the Empire, just that Palpatine's death probably made it easier to gather more forces after the Battle of Endor.

    Huh? I'm not implying it would be an easy task. I only said someone would probably do it. Just because I didn't expand on how doesn't mean I said it would be easy at all. Also the framework was now already in place, so that definitely would make it easier for them to assume control than it was for palpatine to build what he did. However they would do it, whether it be through a military cue or assassinations of rivals, or gaining support of the remaining governing body, it could definitely happen that way.

    Well anyway, like I said before with the death star boardroom talk, I believe that was a room full of guys just patting each other on the back and having delusions of being more integral than they were in keeping control. Whether they or palpatine, or anyone thought the death star was essential in holding a grip on the galaxy, it was proved wrong because it was destroyed and the rest of the fleet were able to maintain order throughout all of empire strikes back and return of the Jedi.

    There were no signs of dissent in the military towards Vader. No one opposed him at all in any conversation or action. So we can assume he, and therefore palpatine, had total control over the galaxy's armed forces. Meaning they still had control without the death star.

    Fair enough about the rebels not assassin's a bigger army. I just can't see them ever getting a big enough one to destroy even 10% of the fleet of the remanents of the empire.

    Just google "how many star destroyers did the empire have?".
  • Disney Trilogy isn't canon.
  • vonVile wrote: »
    Disney Trilogy isn't canon.

    It should be shot out of one.
  • vonVile wrote: »
    Disney Trilogy isn't canon.

    Well, if they can deem Star Wars books Non Canon, why not films.
    "Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul." - Kreia

    "Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone." - Darth Malak


  • I don't know what you're talking about regarding the Disney canon being bad, considering the fall of the Empire is almost a carbon copy of the Legends (original) canon.

    Regardless of how big the Empire's military was, the simple fact is Palpatine controlled the Empire through fear and an iron grip, personally controlling most every governor and highly placed official. Vader was then used as a personal bodyguard and enforcer - with the loss of both, the vast majority of what kept people in line was gone, and with no clear line of succession the undercurrent of rivalry between officers openly broke out into rival factions supporting various contenders to the Imperial Throne.

    Add into the mix the fact that the vast majority of the most experienced soldiers and commanders had been present first on the original Death Star (which hampered their efforts to expand and crush the Rebellion after Yavin IV), and then their total obliteration at Endor on the DSII with the rest of the Imperial fleet stationed there, only the more incompetent and less experienced elements of the Empire remained. Meanwhile, the Rebellion still contained the very best and brightest leaders in Princess Leia, General Doddona and Mon Mothma - and with no unified military command as Imperials wrestled with opposing factions each supporting their own favoured successor to Palpatine, the Rebellion still wasn't taken as a serious threat by most.

    Further, you had Rax, one of the grand admirals I believe, attempting to force the highest ranking Imperials into conference to formally decide what would happen to the Empire - but he'd been planning to weed out those he saw as weak, and fed the location of said conference to the New Republic, who promptly arrived at the lightly guarded (it was a secet conference on Akiva, meant to be under the New Republic's radar) planet, destroyed the fleet and captured even more higher ranking officials. That cripples the already inexperienced and creaking Empire further.

    With such a vast shrinking of the Imperial beaurocracy and Imperial command, and with yet more infighting between the various factions and warlords who had informally broken apart the Empire into fiefdoms, and the Rebellion united with more planets breaking away from the Empire as it abandoned sectors in retreat and consolidation? It's no surprise that the New Republic could take control - and it's not quickly, this is in the space of about a year or two I think following Endor. With each Republic victory and the infighting/civil war going on in the Imperial ranks, you had defections from Imperial ranks to the Republic (in exchange for lighter sentences for crimes and atrocities, or perhaps total exoneration of said crimes), crime syndicates flourishing (there was even a criminal warlord who captured a Super Star Destroyer! Annihilator I think) and order crumbling, that led to a further break in inexperienced governors surrendering to the Republic - it's a chain and the Empire keeps shrinking further and further as indecision, lack of command structures, no experienced leaders and the total annihilation of its experienced forces with the Emperor.

    Then it loses almost all of the manufacturing yards (Kuat etc), so the Republic has cut off their supplies for capitol ships, TIE fighters, fuel, and the Imperials are scraping the barrel for recruits - they pull recruits from the academies who haven't even finished training they're so desperate for manpower due to the vast losses of life, defections and so on.

    So that's how the Empire crumbles. Palpatine and Vader die, taking most of the command structure and its most experienced soldiers with it. Various rivalries present under Palpatine are then free to take root, so factions informally take control of the Empire's segments. You have some factions betraying others to the Republic to weed out 'weak' leaders, further crippling the Empire. Defections weaken command further, governors lose control and surrender, planets break free or are abandoned by the Empire to join the Republic. The Empire just shrinks and fragments.

    If you want it explained better, look on Wookieepedia here - it's all fully sourced, mostly chimes with what I've read and explained here. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Galactic_Empire#Fragmentation_of_the_Order
  • bfloo
    16570 posts Member
    Simple answer, JJ never considered it.

    He just threw them in, with Palps still running around, and is hoping for the best.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!