criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

The Expanse.

hsf_
1948 posts Member
Anyone watch it? In my opinion the best Sci-fi on show out at the minute, simply because they adhere to Neil deGrasse Tyson's guide to making a sci-fi. "First get the science right, then distort it at your leisure".

Replies

• Yes. It's an outstanding show. The books (the ones I've read so far) are outstanding as well.

I'm currently on episode 6 of Season 4. Aim to be finished with the season by tomorrow night.
  • Yeah it's awesome. Definitely the best sci-fi show at the moment. Some of the dialogue is a bit cheesey. Especially Amos and Holden's tough guy lines. Other than that it's incredible.

I'd like to know how they explain the gravity generated within the ships though. That's one thing which always seems conveniently to always work for them. Yet it's one of the things almost everyone thinks about in these sci-fi shows.

Obviously the ships are designed with the floors perpendicular to the thrust vector. But are they telling me then that these ships are just always accelerating at 9.8m/s/s to generate the 1g? So they choose a destination and then halfway there they spin the ship and accelerate in the opposite direction for 1g again for the last half of the flight? I'd like them to actually tell us if that's how it's done because I suppose that would make sense, even though only after a few hours they would be going at speeds way beyond anything they ever mention or we see on their screens in the show. Also it seems these ships only spin and decelerate right at the last moment when they get to where they are going. So I don't know how they would explain that either.

They only ever have gravity when their Epstein drive is active. So either it's the acceleration from that, or some gravity generator is directly linked to this drive and they don't like to turn the drive on unless moving because it would obviously be uneconomical with the fuel.
  • hsf_
    1948 posts Member
    Yeah it's awesome. Definitely the best sci-fi show at the moment. Some of the dialogue is a bit cheesey. Especially Amos and Holden's tough guy lines. Other than that it's incredible.

I'd like to know how they explain the gravity generated within the ships though. That's one thing which always seems conveniently to always work for them. Yet it's one of the things almost everyone thinks about in these sci-fi shows.

Obviously the ships are designed with the floors perpendicular to the thrust vector. But are they telling me then that these ships are just always accelerating at 9.8m/s/s to generate the 1g? So they choose a destination and then halfway there they spin the ship and accelerate in the opposite direction for 1g again for the last half of the flight? I'd like them to actually tell us if that's how it's done because I suppose that would make sense, even though only after a few hours they would be going at speeds way beyond anything they ever mention or we see on their screens in the show. Also it seems these ships only spin and decelerate right at the last moment when they get to where they are going. So I don't know how they would explain that either.

They only ever have gravity when their Epstein drive is active. So either it's the acceleration from that, or some gravity generator is directly linked to this drive and they don't like to turn the drive on unless moving because it would obviously be uneconomical with the fuel.

I agree, some of the dialog is a bit... Underwhelming at times, but I think that's down to the actors. Jim always looks stoned or tired and Amos looks like a lost boy.
    Season 4 definitely looked like it had a bigger budget, with more "on planet" scenes. They also some how managed to improve the already impressive visuals.
    I can't wait for Season 5!
  • @hsf_ did you comment in here for a second time? It says you did and I clicked to see a reply but it said comment not found.
  • hsf_
    1948 posts Member
    @hsf_ did you comment in here for a second time? It says you did and I clicked to see a reply but it said comment not found.

Yeah, it's waiting for approval apparently.
  • hsf_ wrote: »
    @hsf_ did you comment in here for a second time? It says you did and I clicked to see a reply but it said comment not found.

Damn. Was your response to me and explaining how they explain the gravity? Haha
  • hsf_
    1948 posts Member
    hsf_ wrote: »

Damn. Was your response to me and explaining how they explain the gravity? Haha

No, it's been approved now and is visible in the thread now. But I did read that the gravity was something to do with thrust.
  • Hated it. It didn't make it past the pilot.
    This was due to too much sacrilegious profanity. Sorry I do not care how scientific it is, if it does not respect this factor it is not welcome in my home.
    “There is always hope.”
  • hsf_
    1948 posts Member
    Hated it. It didn't make it past the pilot.
    This was due to too much sacrilegious profanity. Sorry I do not care how scientific it is, if it does not respect this factor it is not welcome in my home.

Fair enough, but I don't get what you mean by "sacrilegious profanity"?
  • I watched it. I thought it was good, but not great. I like the general scifi nature of the show, but the story and characters aren't that great to me anymore. The past two seasons seem to spin their wheels on stuff and ultimately not move the story along very much.

The first two season were excellent though. Maybe part to do with Thomas Jane's character having a major part. Also there was a lot more intrigue in what was happening.
  • I watched it. I thought it was good, but not great. I like the general scifi nature of the show, but the story and characters aren't that great to me anymore. The past two seasons seem to spin their wheels on stuff and ultimately not move the story along very much.

The first two season were excellent though. Maybe part to do with Thomas Jane's character having a major part. Also there was a lot more intrigue in what was happening.

I think season 2 was probably the best one so far. I miss Miller a lot. Wish he stayed in the series the entire time.

I think season 2 was probably the best one so far. I miss Miller a lot. Wish he stayed in the series the entire time.

Yeah it's pretty clear to me that Miller carried this show both as a character and the mystery he was trying to get to the bottom of. Nothing has been all that interesting since Season 2...good but not great.

Yeah it's pretty clear to me that Miller carried this show both as a character and the mystery he was trying to get to the bottom of. Nothing has been all that interesting since Season 2...good but not great.

Yeah I really enjoyed his detective type work and how the show revolved around that for those seasons. It's still interesting though, and season 4 with mars has a lot of potential to turn into something very interesting for season 5. Just wish they had a great actor like Tom Jane to delve into that part of the story. That Martian girl is not exactly convincing as a tough person.

I think a lot of the characters are actually quite badly cast. Amos especially. He does not at all come across as a real mean guy. He doesn't have the look and his acting is too melodramatic when he attempts to be tough. Holden also annoyed me for a couple seasons. In season 4 and .OST of 3 the actor seems to of got him just right though. I liked him in season 4.
  • To me the most interesting parts of season 4 was the belters.

The hunt for this new radical belter. Too bad that came at the cost of another great character though. So far they've killed off their best characters. It sets up to me what could be the most intriguing plot point going into Season 5. What if Earth gets wiped out and people are forced into the gates for survival of the species? The Mars angle is pretty good too.

The hunt for this new radical belter. Too bad that came at the cost of another great character though. So far they've killed off their best characters. It sets up to me what could be the most intriguing plot point going into Season 5. What if Earth gets wiped out and people are forced into the gates for survival of the species? The Mars angle is pretty good too.

Oh yeah that's true. That grey haired belter was awesome. God why do they kill off their best actors haha.

Yes if Earth is destroyed that would be a great path the series takes. It'd be good to have a less stable solar system and see the balance of power switch from Earth to Mars/Belters. Seeing the Earthers on the other end of the hierarchy spectrum would be very interesting.

Poor Earth though :( Hate to see Earth destroyed in any movie or TV show haha. It's almost like it feels as though it's my home being destroyed or something :P haha
  • For me, The Expanse is the best show on TV right now.
    I've read all 8 books and the novellas, so I petty much know what's going to happen, but I still find the show to be great TV. The way the writers of the books change the show helps keep it interesting.

The weird thing about Ashford (the gray-haired belter) for me is that I hated him in the books and rooted for him on the show.
    I can't wait for season 5.
    Better album: Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree?
  • hsf_
    1948 posts Member
    Rook008 wrote: »
    For me, The Expanse is the best show on TV right now.
    I've read all 8 books and the novellas, so I petty much know what's going to happen, but I still find the show to be great TV. The way the writers of the books change the show helps keep it interesting.

The weird thing about Ashford (the gray-haired belter) for me is that I hated him in the books and rooted for him on the show.

Agreed, I can't wait for season 5.
    Although I was gutted with Ashford being killed off, I thought they way they did it was very fitting for him as a character. Him singing that song as he slowly drifts off into space, I was devastated :(
  • hsf_ wrote: »

Although I was gutted with Ashford being killed off, I thought they way they did it was very fitting for him as a character. Him singing that song as he slowly drifts off into space, I was devastated :(

I would of actually liked that scene a lot more if he sung the song before he was shot into space. The way he went out into space was so unrealistic. This is one particular show that should really try and stick to realism as much as they can. It has that "realistic" feel that is lacking in a lot of sci-fi shows.

Nothing about his face changed when he entered space. No brust blood vessels in his eyes. The air didn't escape his lungs almost instantly. He just sung it out haha. Also when the door open he didn't fly out with all the atmosphere.

Just too many things wrong with all of that.
  • hsf_
    1948 posts Member
    hsf_ wrote: »

I would of actually liked that scene a lot more if he sung the song before he was shot into space. The way he went out into space was so unrealistic. This is one particular show that should really try and stick to realism as much as they can. It has that "realistic" feel that is lacking in a lot of sci-fi shows.

Nothing about his face changed when he entered space. No brust blood vessels in his eyes. The air didn't escape his lungs almost instantly. He just sung it out haha. Also when the door open he didn't fly out with all the atmosphere.

Just too many things wrong with all of that.

His eyes did change, but yeah I get what you're saying. I just thought it was stylish how they did it, they've shown people getting spaced before so we know what happens, in this case it was a main character so they probably felt the need to do something more with it.