criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

The Rise Of Skywalker SPOILER Discussion

Hi, Sarlacc here. Having already seen Rise Of Skywalker, I have a few strong opinions on the movie(Very disappointed). I want to hear your guys' opinions. Feel free to say anything you'd like about it.

--Sarlacc
I'm the sarlacc that ate Boba Fett. I wish I hadn't because he was a favorite by many fans and an underdeveloped character.

Join the ongoing demand for Private Matches/Servers below!

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/130482/private-servers#latest

Replies

• How have you seen it?
  • I had already decided to wait and stream it when it’s released on Disney+, but I’ve read spoilers. Glad I’m not wasting money on it.
  • this will probably get deleted, there's discussion in the off-topic forum
  • Very disappointed the leaks were true. Didnt explain how palpatine was back he's just there. Rey has cemented herself as the ultimate Mary. " as thousand generations live in you now" I just knew that would be ***** & sure enough it is. All the jedi ever live in her & she has their skill 🤣. It's cool anakin, kanan & ahsoka spoke to her but that's it. The 1st 6 movies are now undermined by this garbage of a movie. Pathetic how anakin was the chosen one & now this Mary is

Is it worse than the last Jedi? Where would you place it in the sequel trilogy in order of best to worst for the 3 movies?

P.s. I hate all of them haha. Just curious how this one turned out compared to the others because I'm not going to bother seeing this at the movies.
  • Very disappointed the leaks were true. Didnt explain how palpatine was back he's just there. Rey has cemented herself as the ultimate Mary. " as thousand generations live in you now" I just knew that would be ***** & sure enough it is. All the jedi ever live in her & she has their skill 🤣. It's cool anakin, kanan & ahsoka spoke to her but that's it. The 1st 6 movies are now undermined by this garbage of a movie. Pathetic how anakin was the chosen one & now this Mary is

Is it worse than the last Jedi? Where would you place it in the sequel trilogy in order of best to worst for the 3 movies?

P.s. I hate all of them haha. Just curious how this one turned out compared to the others because I'm not going to bother seeing this at the movies.

Worst star wars movie. The plot which undermines the 1st 6 cant be forgiven.

Yeah I hate JJ Abrams for what he's done to star wars. Always using nostalgia to get the audience and not coming up with his own stuff. Anakins entire storyline of 1-6 should of been left alone.
  • Ppong_Man12
    2923 posts Member
    edited December 2019
  • willywonka7
    2174 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Lol based on all the reviews out today and everyone who has already seen it and the critics reviews.......IT'S THE WORST MOVIE EVER.....objectively speaking. They say they couldn't decide as to whether to stick with the old or go with the new the entire movie.

The cast even said they didn't want to come back to do Star Wars anymore after this.

Man K.K. , J.J., and Ruin Johnson have proven that nothing is indestructible!

Kylo's response to the Trilogy
    dpzo5hrrwx2s.gif

Hopefully in a few months the sequel will be forgotten never to be heard from again!

• Poor Adam Driver, he's a good person
    Ny shootogawa!

Yeah I hate JJ Abrams for what he's done to star wars. Always using nostalgia to get the audience and not coming up with his own stuff. Anakins entire storyline of 1-6 should of been left alone.

Legit just listen to Darth Vader scream No for 5 minutes after I read this thread. What garbage
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• They could have given the original characters fond farewell in the 1st movie without undoing anything and start from there. Then develop new characters and new plots. If they wanted nostalgia they should have made a Vader movie while he’s in his prime, or make a clone wars movie with the events that happened after episode 2 and before 3. Have detailed accounts of Anakin, Mace, OW, Maul, Ahsoka, and so on based off the clone wars toon.

New should be new imo, problem is with anything new there’s risk and I guess they didn’t wanna risk losing those characters they bought. Still, they should have tried to appeal to a new generation of kids and the 40-50 year olds should hopefully realize they had their time, otherwise it’s constant repeats and remakes and it’ll never match up to the originals.

All their nostalgia did was ruin the old characters instead of honer them, Luke should have basically been a force god not a bum. From the sounds of things they should have definitely took the risk.
  • They could have given the original characters fond farewell in the 1st movie without undoing anything and start from there. Then develop new characters and new plots. If they wanted nostalgia they should have made a Vader movie while he’s in his prime, or make a clone wars movie with the events that happened after episode 2 and before 3. Have detailed accounts of Anakin, Mace, OW, Maul, Ahsoka, and so on based off the clone wars toon.

New should be new imo, problem is with anything new there’s risk and I guess they didn’t wanna risk losing those characters they bought. Still, they should have tried to appeal to a new generation of kids and the 40-50 year olds should hopefully realize they had their time, otherwise it’s constant repeats and remakes and it’ll never match up to the originals.

All their nostalgia did was ruin the old characters instead of honer them, Luke should have basically been a force god not a bum. From the sounds of things they should have definitely took the risk.

We need to be honest here. Disney should have just did a film trilogy based on stuff fans loved, Knights of the Old Republic or Dark Empire or the like. With the state Hollywood has been in concerning good, new, ideas, and how they have been starved of them for most of the decade, I wouldnt trust them with a 10 ft. pole. The biggest mistake Disney made was taking professional comics and author material, decanonize it, and make their own universe. Marvel as well, aside from the Vader based comics, has been god awful with the EU, they can't hold a candle to Dark Horse. They haven't come close to anything on the level of the Old Republic, the continuation of the GCW era, the New Jedi Order era, or the Legacy story lines.
  • While there were some things I liked, what I disliked and straight up hated outweighs that.

Never explained how Palps survived.
    Rey seemed completely overpowered at the end, there wasn't really any kind of fight between her and Palps.
    Don't understand why Ben died at the end, or why he had to.
    Never find out what Finn was gonna tell Rey.
    Don't feel that Rey should take up the Skywalker name.
    Knights of Ren were completely wasted in the film, did practically nothing.
    The whole being able to teleport things between Rey and Ben seems dumb and ridiculous.
    Force ghosts being able to effect the physical world is stupid imo. Should they even be classed as dead.

There's probably a whole lot more I could list. It was poorly written I think. It could have been so much better. I mean, the trilogy has been pretty terrible to begin with, and the whole premise of Palps returning was ridiculous, but they could have tried to put some effort into this one. This was a horrible wrap to the Skywalker Saga. I feel so bad for the Actors in Star Wars, even the ST actors like Daisy, John, Adam and Oscar.

Hopefully, Disney will eventually announce that this trilogy isn't considered Canon. I know it won't happen, but they should. If they can consider Star Wars Books and Video games not Canon, I say that they can consider films not Canon.
    "Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul." - Kreia

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone." - Darth Malak

It felt rushed
    I'm the sarlacc that ate Boba Fett. I wish I hadn't because he was a favorite by many fans and an underdeveloped character.

• Revan72 wrote: »
    While there were some things I liked, what I disliked and straight up hated outweighs that.

Rey seemed completely overpowered at the end, there wasn't really any kind of fight between her and Palps.
    The whole being able to teleport things between Rey and Ben seems dumb and ridiculous.
    Force ghosts being able to effect the physical world is stupid imo. Should they even be classed as dead.

There's probably a whole lot more I could list. It was poorly written I think. It could have been so much better. I mean, the trilogy has been pretty terrible to begin with, and the whole premise of Palps returning was ridiculous, but they could have tried to put some effort into this one. This was a horrible wrap to the Skywalker Saga. I feel so bad for the Actors in Star Wars, even the ST actors like Daisy, John, Adam and Oscar.

Hopefully, Disney will eventually announce that this trilogy isn't considered Canon. I know it won't happen, but they should. If they can consider Star Wars Books and Video games not Canon, I say that they can consider films not Canon.

Agreed

Great concepts, so unfortunate what disney did.

• so does this mean we won't get a Rian Johnson trilogy?
  • Alwe15
    2000 posts Member
    I liked it.
  • Psy3d
    985 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Horrible movie...the clown who edited the movie should be insta fired and banned from doing any future disasters. Extremely disjointed story and felt like someone pushed fast forward to put everything in within the time limit. Very disappointed how the final movie in the trilogy ended.

I'm glad this junk sequel is over...and the Mando is there to compensate the void.
  • Alwe15 wrote: »
    I liked it.

Seems like you're the only one.
  • It sounds like JJ's association with Star Wars will go down in George Lucas levels of infamy. Kind of sad considering when Force Awakens was announced, he was widely considered to be the reboot king.
  • Jar Jar Abrams

OOPS, MEESA BROKE STAR WARS
  • Alwe15 wrote: »
    I liked it.

Seems like you're the only one.

It's a fine opinion. I too was entertained, but I didn't like the overall story/archs, etc.

• so does this mean we won't get a Rian Johnson trilogy?

Personally, I don't think Disney is going to work on Trilogy formats for a while. I could be wrong though.

• ImAGr8Panda
    153 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    I had already decided to wait and stream it when it’s released on Disney+, but I’ve read spoilers. Glad I’m not wasting money on it.

I'm not spending any money on it either, I have Disney+ and once it is on there I may watch it so I know how they ruined star wars again.
  • To answer a few comments from above. Palpatine didn't survive. The palpatine from jedi was a clone, the real palpatine has been pulling the strings behind the scenes all along. Thus was explained in the film. Ben only died because Rey did and he transferred all of his life force to her to bring her back. Rey earlier on in the film transferred part of her own to heal that serpent thing. We have also seen that kind of action from baby yoda in episode 7 of mandalorian. I enjoyed the movie especially the music mix giving a nod to all the classics from the original trilogy soundtracks.
  • ImAGr8Panda
    153 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Jar Jar Abrams

OOPS, MEESA BROKE STAR WARS

To be honest I think that the blame is for KK JJ and Rian Johnson, not just JJ, each movie has gotten worse, TFA was okay, except for the end, TLJ was a terrible piece of smoking garbage and this one sounds worst than that plus a KK and Rian Johnson interview. I hope something happens where it is uncannonized, poor poor George Lucas, watching his life work get destroyed right in front of his eyes(except mando). I honestly like Adam Driver, but they made kylo a whining emo boy with daddy issues. Never heard of any of the other actors/actresses. Looks like Elizabeth Olson was smart not taking the role as Rey as offered. I hope that KK JJ and Rian Johnson get banned from doing anything star wars.
  • To answer a few comments from above. Palpatine didn't survive. The palpatine from jedi was a clone, the real palpatine has been pulling the strings behind the scenes all along. Thus was explained in the film. Ben only died because Rey did and he transferred all of his life force to her to bring her back. Rey earlier on in the film transferred part of her own to heal that serpent thing. We have also seen that kind of action from baby yoda in episode 7 of mandalorian. I enjoyed the movie especially the music mix giving a nod to all the classics from the original trilogy soundtracks.

You've got to be kitten me.

When did they explain that Vader killed a clone? They didnt...and Palps specifically said something to Ben about when he fell
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • Palpatine himself explained he was behind it all and orchestrated the whole thing, he was all the voices in Ben's head and created himself and snoke. All this time building the final order from the hidden Sith world. Weak plot but that's the explanation we got in the conversation between Ben and Palps
  • You can evaluate the film on several levels;
    1. On its own
    2. Within the Sequel Trilogy
    3. Across the entire Star Wars film Saga

I went in knowing a lot about the leaks and expecting to barely enjoy the film, but much to my surprise... I found it periodically delightful (in and of itself). I could go on and on about how diverse my perspective is at each level, but to be as wholistic and concise as possible... This film has essentially turned Star Wars franchise into a chronicle akin to Dragon Ball Z (which I can passively enjoy). The Antagonists never truly die, or if they do, they just keep coming back, more and more powerful... they are amusing and undergo interesting and often visually striking transformations... and the price of admission is suffering the lack luster Z Fighters (protagonists) play out the same unrealistic moralistic tune, again and again, making false sacrifices, and ultimately winning the day until time immemorial.

I didn’t enjoy any of the previous installments in this trilogy, so I greet the fun absurdity of this film with open arms. I mean really... Who doesn’t enjoy watching Palpatine in his new threads single handedly taking on the entire resistance/ rebel alliance?
  • Hopefully the expanded edition book will fill all of the plot holes
  • Hopefully the expanded edition book will fill all of the plot holes

Rebellions are built on hope.

• You can evaluate the film on several levels;
    1. On its own
    2. Within the Sequel Trilogy
    3. Across the entire Star Wars film Saga

I went in knowing a lot about the leaks and expecting to barely enjoy the film, but much to my surprise... I found it periodically delightful (in and of itself). I could go on and on about how diverse my perspective is at each level, but to be as wholistic and concise as possible... This film has essentially turned Star Wars franchise into a chronicle akin to Dragon Ball Z (which I can passively enjoy). The Antagonists never truly die, or if they do, they just keep coming back, more and more powerful... they are amusing and undergo interesting and often visually striking transformations... and the price of admission is suffering the lack luster Z Fighters (protagonists) play out the same unrealistic moralistic tune, again and again, making false sacrifices, and ultimately winning the day until time immemorial.

I didn’t enjoy any of the previous installments in this trilogy, so I greet the fun absurdity of this film with open arms. I mean really... Who doesn’t enjoy watching Palpatine in his new threads single handedly taking on the entire resistance/ rebel alliance?

Interesting perspective! Definitely got me thinking.

• Revan72 wrote: »
    While there were some things I liked, what I disliked and straight up hated outweighs that.

Agree with most of your points here; im okay with the force ghost stuff--i think it was fine. but the Force Driad connection that Ben and Rey had could've been expanded and explained. would've been nice to see more

• Snips voice was Larson?
  • DarthJ
    6901 posts Member
    Picked up the visual guide over Christmas and have been reading through it. It doesn't have Palpatine in as an entry but mentions cloning and the Sith researching cloning a couple of times (I'll see if I can screenshot the extracts when I'm home, one of them is mentioning the fact Beaumont Kin, Dominic Monaghan's Resistance character, says it specifically as he has researched into the Sith). Couple this with the lines Palpatine says in the film about falling and dying (fall as I fell or something like that), makes me think that they are showing/hinting that Palpatine actually didn't survive, but his conciousness possibly did, and inhabited the clone bodies after his apparent death, similar to the old EU stuff.

Doesn't explain why his clone was so old and ill looking, but that may have been part of the process and that he knew any power he took from Rey/Kylo would finish the process of gaining power back in his body completely? Snoke was a clone under his creation after all.

What do you all think?
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • I think the clone/Palpatine story was dreamed out of desperation after Rian killed off Luke and Snoke causing Treverow to quit the movie

why didn't Palpatine create clones of himself? why weren't they young and robust? *shuffles script pages* uh...Lando's back!
  • DarthJ wrote: »
    Picked up the visual guide over Christmas and have been reading through it. It doesn't have Palpatine in as an entry but mentions cloning and the Sith researching cloning a couple of times (I'll see if I can screenshot the extracts when I'm home, one of them is mentioning the fact Beaumont Kin, Dominic Monaghan's Resistance character, says it specifically as he has researched into the Sith). Couple this with the lines Palpatine says in the film about falling and dying (fall as I fell or something like that), makes me think that they are showing/hinting that Palpatine actually didn't survive, but his conciousness possibly did, and inhabited the clone bodies after his apparent death, similar to the old EU stuff.

Doesn't explain why his clone was so old and ill looking, but that may have been part of the process and that he knew any power he took from Rey/Kylo would finish the process of gaining power back in his body completely? Snoke was a clone under his creation after all.

What do you all think?

Read the Colin Treverrow Script...

• DarthJ wrote: »

What do you all think?

From what I gather, they dont seem to be expanding on how Palpatine came back deliberately so as to not create anymore holes in the the already sinking ship.

If they say palptine came back this way we would only tear it apart for its illogical explanation.

But i dont know whats worse- the fact that Palpatine came back out of no where or the fact that this Palpatine is only Palpatine in name/quotes. He’s more of just generic evil bad guy in this movie instead of interesting villain like in the others. Think of it- in 6 theres sooo many quotable Palps lines, as well as 3. But in 9 he has a bland goal with no nuance, he’s not very clever, they reuse lines with his only notable one being “I am all the Sith” (which they ripped from endgame). He didnt really feel like Palpatine to me.
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg