criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

How to play Obi Wan after Mind Trick was changed?

JBSeptim
112 posts Member
edited December 2019
I have not played for a month or two and after I pop in again Obi-Wan's Mind Trick doesn't prevent enemies from dodging anymore. May I ask why it was changed? Because I miss that alot actually 😅

I would usually block and wait until the enemy has low stamina, then mind trick him and strike him dead while he cannot do anything but jumping anymore (you would not believe how many players fall for that and thoughtlessly wasted their stamina, it worked well). A strategy I really miss, because he has no real answer to lightsaber heroes now.

Additionally it used to stop especially gunners and Palpatine from dodging, which made him a very nice answer to them. He has only one ability to immobilize enemies after all (Push) and that's only for a short time and way out of his range too. And quite easily dodgable/blockable, as he needs time to charge it and that is quite obvious.

He feels a bit underwhelming now. He was always tricky to play (well, except for when he would have that Force Push glitch), but now I really don't know how to play him anymore and that makes me sad, he is my favourite character 😞

Replies

• Sejanus_4
    131 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Obi-wan is in a bad stat right now. Since they nerfed his Mind Trick, they should at least buff his Defensive Rush to where it has immunity to Force Attacks. It is called Defensive Rush after all, and all it takes to stop it is a simple choke, freeze, pull, ect. It doesn't even block Palpatine's Lightning!
  • Even as an avid obiwan user I have to agree with the nerf. Dodge shouldn’t be blocked. I never relied on the no dodging feature except in the case of Palpatine. You just have to hope you got a good shooter on your team now to deal with a slippery emperor. If no one is doing it I just switch to Han myself
  • Even as an avid obiwan user I have to agree with the nerf. Dodge shouldn’t be blocked. I never relied on the no dodging feature except in the case of Palpatine. You just have to hope you got a good shooter on your team now to deal with a slippery emperor. If no one is doing it I just switch to Han myself

How do you play him then? I'd be very interested to hear, as I completely relied on his defense, stamina and his Mind Trick with dodge and ability-disabling. I'm sure that's not the only way to play him, but Idk which strategy to use best...
  • I know man, its almost like these guys do things without thinking. Its more likely some Heros vs Villans only garbage players with no skill, or ingenuity complained loud enough and thus the change.

Not even a compromised change, like if you have the mind trick card equiped at its 3 rd level then you get the dodge restriction, no they just took it out completely.

It was something that had to be used strategically, and complimented him well

If your going agains't the mind trick as a trooper, its only 6-10 seconds, you can still run, jump, and most importantly shoot, if you shoot at him hell have to block shots which will slow down his advance giving you space and chew up time.

As a lightsaber Hero, you could still block and attack, just make sure he doesn't get to your blindside within the time

Most people don't think like that though, easier to complain instead of being a competent player
  • JBSeptim
    112 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I know man, its almost like these guys do things without thinking. Its more likely some Heros vs Villans only garbage players with no skill, or ingenuity complained loud enough and thus the change.

Not even a compromised change, like if you have the mind trick card equiped at its 3 rd level then you get the dodge restriction, no they just took it out completely.

It was something that had to be used strategically, and complimented him well

If your going agains't the mind trick as a trooper, its only 6-10 seconds, you can still run, jump, and most importantly shoot, if you shoot at him hell have to block shots which will slow down his advance giving you space and chew up time.

As a lightsaber Hero, you could still block and attack, just make sure he doesn't get to your blindside within the time

Most people don't think like that though, easier to complain instead of being a competent player

You say just what I think in fat letters man. Couldn't agree more. But everyone has a point somewhere and I'm not here to judge, I mostly wonder what to do with him now.
    Post edited by JBSeptim on
  • JBSeptim wrote: »
    Even as an avid obiwan user I have to agree with the nerf. Dodge shouldn’t be blocked. I never relied on the no dodging feature except in the case of Palpatine. You just have to hope you got a good shooter on your team now to deal with a slippery emperor. If no one is doing it I just switch to Han myself

How do you play him then? I'd be very interested to hear, as I completely relied on his defense, stamina and his Mind Trick with dodge and ability-disabling. I'm sure that's not the only way to play him, but Idk which strategy to use best...

I admit he is harder to use than before but I basically play him the same way as always except now I don’t engage in a fight with palp
  • It's all about the situation but in my opinion he is meant to be played defensively and patiently. They'll call you a block spammer but it's what they made him good at and it's for a reason. Let em hit u till their stamina is drained then hit em with a mind trick to snuff those abilities and then swing a couple times and when they try to dodge away just defensive rush odds are they'll dodge back and right into your path again. Now this wont work on the smarter players but it should see you through the common fodder.
  • JBSeptim
    112 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Ok, so just go on as always and pray you fight players who aren't very smart?
  • OcDoc
    2130 posts Member
    I get why they did it but he isn’t strong enough otherwise to handle the nerf. Should have come up with some other adjustment. Like maybe his strikes during mind trick don’t affect stamina on the opponent.
  • JBSeptim
    112 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    That'd be horrible for him too. Rather only his attacks drain stamina but it doesn't even make sense like that.

My suggestions to nerf it would have been a duration nerf, or limiting the ability block to Force abilities. (Which also is an indirect buff, as I'd totally say Lightning is a Force ability, so Palpatine could only jump and run under RMT then.)

But yeah, both had solved the problem without bringing up the problem he faces now.
  • I completely pour all Star Card Resources on health and buffing his blocking capabilities (even before the nerf). If you play him with patience he can be phenomenal, especially against aggressive players and infantry. When against large groups of blaster fire, merely use it to your advantage, and send it right back. As your stamina nears its limit, hold all out push for its max duration and take advantage of his damage reduction, minimizing the life loss... this allows you to regain your stamina amid the animation and amplify your potential reach to many enemies with the push; rinse, repeat, rinse repeat. You can even use this strategy to take out villains. Deflect their supporting infantry fire at them, deal damage/ drain their stamina. Let them eat damage or drain their stamina, until they are badly wounded or defenseless. General grievous, Maul, and Dooku are especially weak to this strategy.

The mind trick ability is still useful, but it’s no longer the certain death it was when paired with Rey’s mind trick. If an obi wan and a rey were well coordinated, they would end you before your second thought.

The change does not really effect my play style. That said, Obiwan could stand to benefit from small tweaks; perhaps slightly reducing the lag in his health regeneration and mildly increasing the distance of his dodges or dodge recovery.
  • Obi is my fav character it is a shame they keep nerfing heroes.
    Just played a game general palps iden and vader
    They were unstoppable.
    Obi would at least beable to help against iden and palps with blocking dodge
  • I completely pour all Star Card Resources on health and buffing his blocking capabilities (even before the nerf). If you play him with patience he can be phenomenal, especially against aggressive players and infantry. When against large groups of blaster fire, merely use it to your advantage, and send it right back. As your stamina nears its limit, hold all out push for its max duration and take advantage of his damage reduction, minimizing the life loss... this allows you to regain your stamina amid the animation and amplify your potential reach to many enemies with the push; rinse, repeat, rinse repeat. You can even use this strategy to take out villains. Deflect their supporting infantry fire at them, deal damage/ drain their stamina. Let them eat damage or drain their stamina, until they are badly wounded or defenseless. General grievous, Maul, and Dooku are especially weak to this strategy.

The mind trick ability is still useful, but it’s no longer the certain death it was when paired with Rey’s mind trick. If an obi wan and a rey were well coordinated, they would end you before your second thought.

The change does not really effect my play style. That said, Obiwan could stand to benefit from small tweaks; perhaps slightly reducing the lag in his health regeneration and mildly increasing the distance of his dodges or dodge recovery.

Pretty much what I was doing, but it misses the moment to strike now in my opinion. Maul, Kylo and Grievous are especially impatient in wasting their stamina, I agree.

But before the nerf that meant you could MT them and finish them off, after their stamina reached 0. They would only stand and die on you. Now he only keeps blocking until the very end. He defends and reduces his incoming damage to a minimum, waiting for his chance to strike which never comes. Only advantage are Blaster users, as they hit themselves.
  • You don't play him now, is the real trick
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

I completely pour all Star Card Resources on health and buffing his blocking capabilities (even before the nerf). If you play him with patience he can be phenomenal, especially against aggressive players and infantry. When against large groups of blaster fire, merely use it to your advantage, and send it right back. As your stamina nears its limit, hold all out push for its max duration and take advantage of his damage reduction, minimizing the life loss... this allows you to regain your stamina amid the animation and amplify your potential reach to many enemies with the push; rinse, repeat, rinse repeat. You can even use this strategy to take out villains. Deflect their supporting infantry fire at them, deal damage/ drain their stamina. Let them eat damage or drain their stamina, until they are badly wounded or defenseless. General grievous, Maul, and Dooku are especially weak to this strategy.

Pretty much what I was doing, but it misses the moment to strike now in my opinion. Maul, Kylo and Grievous are especially impatient in wasting their stamina, I agree.

But before the nerf that meant you could MT them and finish them off, after their stamina reached 0. They would only stand and die on you. Now he only keeps blocking until the very end. He defends and reduces his incoming damage to a minimum, waiting for his chance to strike which never comes. Only advantage are Blaster users, as they hit themselves.

He can still deal a lot of damage once they deplete their stamina, albeit they can now mitigate that with dodge.
    I completely pour all Star Card Resources on health and buffing his blocking capabilities (even before the nerf). If you play him with patience he can be phenomenal, especially against aggressive players and infantry. When against large groups of blaster fire, merely use it to your advantage, and send it right back. As your stamina nears its limit, hold all out push for its max duration and take advantage of his damage reduction, minimizing the life loss... this allows you to regain your stamina amid the animation and amplify your potential reach to many enemies with the push; rinse, repeat, rinse repeat. You can even use this strategy to take out villains. Deflect their supporting infantry fire at them, deal damage/ drain their stamina. Let them eat damage or drain their stamina, until they are badly wounded or defenseless. General grievous, Maul, and Dooku are especially weak to this strategy.

He can still deal a lot of damage once they deplete their stamina, albeit they can now mitigate that with dodge.

You don't deal enough damage now though. He can land 1-3 hits now, which is just not worth it, as blocking them dead is a dangerous thing with this game's bugs. He will take hits still. And it could well be more than he can land with this. Then the whole work of blocking them out was for nothing. And until he can use it again, his foe can just regenrate most of it again. It gives him an advantage of maybe 100 health for a loooong, exhausting and dangerous process, if this is his best weapon he isn't just underwhelming but really sucks.

FN 2187 and his Aimbot will do
  • JBSeptim
    112 posts Member
    edited February 15
    Claire wrote: »
    Even as an avid obiwan user I have to agree with the nerf. Dodge shouldn’t be blocked. I never relied on the no dodging feature except in the case of Palpatine. You just have to hope you got a good shooter on your team now to deal with a slippery emperor. If no one is doing it I just switch to Han myself

FN 2187 and his Aimbot will do

That implies:
    a) one of your random, not contactable teammates starts playing Finn on free account, and is at least decently good while you can protect him or
    b) you start playing Finn yourself and at least one of your teammates protects you, so you aren't the ultimate easy prey for every close ranged fighter in the game, including Boba.

Now, if you have a dominant Emperor against you, which your team can't do much against (so the case you'd need to use Finn), do you really think he can dominate you because your team works so well together? That works maybe one in ten times.