criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

Palpatine needs sorting out

Palpatine is ridiculously overpowered, a nerf is definitely needed for him, but not too much of a nerf to the point where he's garbage again.

Replies

• I don't find him that much of an issue. If I play him and no one bothers to try a counter me, I'll run free to melt the opposition. Shooters are a pain only if I'm caught out in the open. I'll try to get them first everytime and hopefully they'll change to a Jedi... Things get a bit tricky if I'm stuck with 1 v 4 Jedi's..

If I see a Palpy I'll go for Han and just keep after him from a distance and put him off his stride.

Nerfing is the easy option, countering is the fun option.

giphy.gif

• I think lightning should be able to be deflected back when blocked by a lightsaber. I mean, it works in the movies. IMO this would balance palp out a bit as he is not super op, just slightly op

This could be granted to Yoda's push, like he can with Doku.
  • I think he should have unlimited stamina.
  • StarLillie wrote: »
    I think lightning should be able to be deflected back when blocked by a lightsaber. I mean, it works in the movies. IMO this would balance palp out a bit as he is not super op, just slightly op

I’m not sure what you mean by this, to my knowledge Yoda can already absorb the lightning to charge up his push. I was talking about lightsaber blocking and deflecting the lightning back at the attacker or his teammates. Similar to how blaster bolts are deflected back
    KeyserSoze wrote: »
    I think he should have unlimited stamina.

Well that’s just insane
  • rur2e1skquxp.gif

• I think lightning should be able to be deflected back when blocked by a lightsaber. I mean, it works in the movies. IMO this would balance palp out a bit as he is not super op, just slightly op

If that’s the case, then light saber hero’s should lose significantly more stamina deflecting it than by any other attack. The effort rey used to deflect it for that short time killed her, and mace struggled tremendously to defend and redirect it (there is also some debate over whether Palpatine held back to provoke anakin into striking out at mace).

Lightsaber hero’s are less effective against Palpatine just as blaster hero’s are less effective against Vader; but people tend to prefer Jedi, so they more often notice that they can’t just rush, out run a non force sensitive, and spam RT till death.
  • llll_wAx_llll
    311 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    I think lightning should be able to be deflected back when blocked by a lightsaber. I mean, it works in the movies. IMO this would balance palp out a bit as he is not super op, just slightly op

If that’s the case, then light saber hero’s should lose significantly more stamina deflecting it than by any other attack. The effort rey used to deflect it for that short time killed her, and mace struggled tremendously to defend and redirect it (there is also some debate over whether Palpatine held back to provoke anakin into striking out at mace).

Lightsaber hero’s are less effective against Palpatine just as blaster hero’s are less effective against Vader; but people tend to prefer Jedi, so they more often notice that they can’t just rush, out run a non force sensitive, and spam RT till death.

I can agree with that an increase in stamina loss when blocking and deflecting lightning with a lightsaber is a fair compromise. I’d just like to see this mechanic added

Unrelated: if staying true to the movies than Rey needs a huge buff after TROS ... lol jokes

I can agree with that an increase in stamina loss when blocking and deflecting lightning with a lightsaber is a fair compromise. I’d just like to see this mechanic added

Unrelated: if staying true to the movies than Rey needs a huge buff after TROS ... lol jokes

And Palpatine should be able to destroy with his lightening the an entire fleet, the resistance, the remains of the rebel alliance, and drink the life essence of any force user (LMFAO). Rey needed the combined aid of all those force ghosts to work through her, and she still died just by redirecting palps force lightening for 30 seconds. Not a big surprise when she was played with like a doll by snoke. Obviously at that point, the game like the films become hilarious tosh.

(Back to sincerity) If saber users could redirect his lightening right back at him (without a substantial penalty) than Sidious would be toast... Palpatine would be taking so much damage, while the saber user safely moved in on guard, and then followed it up with a force move to all but annihilate the dark lord of the sith. Given that Palpatine is denied lightsaber access and anyway to mitigate damage, I think it’s best we do not have his own ability undo him.
  • Yep he is so annoying right now

And Palpatine should be able to destroy with his lightening the an entire fleet, the resistance, the remains of the rebel alliance, and drink the life essence of any force user (LMFAO). Rey needed the combined aid of all those force ghosts to work through her, and she still died just by redirecting palps force lightening for 30 seconds. Not a big surprise when she was played with like a doll by snoke. Obviously at that point, the game like the films become hilarious tosh.

(Back to sincerity) If saber users could redirect his lightening right back at him (without a substantial penalty) than Sidious would be toast... Palpatine would be taking so much damage, while the saber user safely moved in on guard, and then followed it up with a force move to all but annihilate the dark lord of the sith. Given that Palpatine is denied lightsaber access and anyway to mitigate damage, I think it’s best we do not have his own ability undo him.

How is it different than any other blaster character? He actually would stand more of a chance than blaster hero’s due to his insane evasion capabilities. They lightsaber weirder would still have to aim it back at him or his teammates. As a game mechanic, the damage he takes and the stamina drain could be adjusted for balance

How is it different than any other blaster character? He actually would stand more of a chance than blaster hero’s due to his insane evasion capabilities. They lightsaber weirder would still have to aim it back at him or his teammates. As a game mechanic, the damage he takes and the stamina drain could be adjusted for balance

It’s different because it’s a stream of lightening: blaster shots do not fly back in a stream/ spread when deflected, and accuracy for their deflection greatly varies. Besides, not all Jedi know the force technique, only a portion, others merely know how to absorb it with a saber, or simply cannot counter it. Yoda knows how to absorb and redirect it, and that’s in effect what he does with his unleash/push ability. There is also significant fall off in the film, it’s only successfully redirected back at sidious near point blank range (by both mace and rey). Additionally, Rey needed two lightsabers to perform the maneuver.

Why doesn’t a Jedi seize and convulse when he is getting electrocuted in the game? Would it be entertaining to be helpless on the floor like Luke?Let’s not ask for full bore film accuracy.

• jonci
    1266 posts Member
    Would have thought some of the replies here should have SPOILER attached to them, whilst i have seen the movie many people havn't please consider others before you put comments in that contain references.
  • bfloo
    16587 posts Member
    I don't find him that much of an issue. If I play him and no one bothers to try a counter me, I'll run free to melt the opposition. Shooters are a pain only if I'm caught out in the open. I'll try to get them first everytime and hopefully they'll change to a Jedi... Things get a bit tricky if I'm stuck with 1 v 4 Jedi's..

If I see a Palpy I'll go for Han and just keep after him from a distance and put him off his stride.

Why would they start learning to counter now?
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• llll_wAx_llll
    311 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    bfloo wrote: »
    I don't find him that much of an issue. If I play him and no one bothers to try a counter me, I'll run free to melt the opposition. Shooters are a pain only if I'm caught out in the open. I'll try to get them first everytime and hopefully they'll change to a Jedi... Things get a bit tricky if I'm stuck with 1 v 4 Jedi's..

Why would they start learning to counter now?

The best counter got taken out of the game. Obi-WANs mindtrick was op and needed a nerf. That’s why I suggest this lightning deflection counter.
    Post edited by llll_wAx_llll on
  • OcDoc
    2093 posts Member
    Kempy wrote: »
    Palpatine is ridiculously overpowered, a nerf is definitely needed for him, but not too much of a nerf to the point where he's garbage again.

Agree.

Maybe lower stamina and longer dodge cool down would be a decent start. Go from there.

• Count_Doku
    4 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    i experienced the last days, that Palpatine is to strong. When you play a lightsaber character and your in an fight, Palpatine makes so much damage that you only can die. And if you want to kill Palpatine with a lightsaber character, he only jumps away and another enemy comes and fights against you. A little more less damage or stamina would be a good thing and his jumping is very disturbing.
    Post edited by Count_Doku on
  • Kempy wrote: »

Agreed! There was no buff announced for the Emporer, but he's quite clearly become way more powerful. He's nearly untouchable with a lightsaber hero, now.

I've been playing for over a year and never had so much trouble with Palpatine as in the past couple weeks or so.
  • And I should mention that I've always enjoyed playing as the Emperor, but he took a while to master. It takes finesse - or it used to. Now it requires no cunning at all. He's practically a tank.
  • A little more less damage or stamina would be a good thing and is jumping is very disturbing.

It isn't the jumping, damage or stamina that is the problem. His dark aura doesn't just slow you down anymore - it completely prevents a lightsaber hero from being able to reach him at all.

• Final thought on the subject: I really wish the low-confidence amateurs at DICE would stop the constant meddling with basic game mechanics. It's very frustrating to expect a button to do something that doesn't happen anymore or expect certain timing to work and find you have to wait for some new cooldown animation or that stepping on a twig will interrupt your force push or whatever. There were some big balance problems that needed fixing at one point, but now every change just throws off the balance in different ways when they should just leave basic gameplay alone. The game's two years old and they still haven't figured out what how the basic mechanics should work? The designers don't need to accommodate every whiny suggestion that comes across these boards. LOL.
  • danmc888 wrote: »

Agreed! There was no buff announced for the Emporer, but he's quite clearly become way more powerful. He's nearly untouchable with a lightsaber hero, now.

I've been playing for over a year and never had so much trouble with Palpatine as in the past couple weeks or so.

That’s just not true... Palpatine has no way to block: force powers or sabers. He has a slow running/ movement speed, his only way to out pace you is a dash, and he has the shortest range of non saber hero’s... Wait until he uses one or both of his dashes, nail him with a force power, push him against a wall, off a cliff, pull him to your feet, mind trick him, ect. As long as he isn’t dancing way out there in the back behind walking walls like Vader, you just have to trip him and close the distance, once or twice. If they nerf his movement like bossk, and prevent him from escaping the saber spam fest, I hope every Palpatine fan in the galaxy cries out at once and creates a turret of force lightening that eradicates every punk with a lightsaber.

If a Palpatine/Vader or Kylo combo are approaching you, don’t be stupid enough to think your going to be able to spam attack during the encounter... Block and back peddle until you see an opening or reach allies... It’s as if some expect to just casually kill two Sith Lords without contest, but what do you know... you can’t without great risk.

Palpatine has not been improved in a long while, he’s fine. He is highly killable.
  • Palpy is fine....just get good with Anakin and Finn for GA. And as Jedi's with force "push" << use it less or else you're ONLY pushing him to safety!

It’s to the point now that I just leave the game if someone chooses Palpatine. Overpowered or not, he is no fun to fight against or to have on your team. Would be nice to be able to see the enemies team comp before the match starts.
  • Hm... I definitely agree, he is OP in certain situations, but also crumbles quite easily when everyone gangs up on him. Nerf isn't the way to go IMO, you can't just punish players who are good with a certain hero/villain or strategy. He is easily countered, but usually only when the whole team coordinates. Yoda can take him on just fine (his push keeps him at a distance and charges nicely with his lighting), but only if....
    • I leave my team behind and keep palps away the entire/most of the match
    • I stay with the group, but save my pushes solely for keeping palps away
    • I block lightning while a blaster crouches behind me and unloads on him

The unbalance lies with possible strategy/coordination. No one on the light side can drain your stamina the same way palps can. If you use blaster fire, the enemy will reflect it, often at your ally, who is trying to attack the same enemy.

Instead of nerfing, why not add some combat elements, that are simple/logical?
    • Allow lightning to be reflected when within a certain distance
    • Reduce the accuracy of his lightning as his stamina gets lower
    • Allow Yoda to block all of his abilities. Dark Aura included (still slows you down, but you can block so you don't take dmg) After all, Yoda and the Emperor produced an explosion of power they are so equal... (ref. SW ep.3, Yoda reflecting Emperor's lightning, blasting them both away in that large senate room)
  • llll_wAx_llll
    311 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Hm... I definitely agree, he is OP in certain situations, but also crumbles quite easily when everyone gangs up on him. Nerf isn't the way to go IMO, you can't just punish players who are good with a certain hero/villain or strategy. He is easily countered, but usually only when the whole team coordinates. Yoda can take him on just fine (his push keeps him at a distance and charges nicely with his lighting), but only if....
    • I leave my team behind and keep palps away the entire/most of the match
    • I stay with the group, but save my pushes solely for keeping palps away
    • I block lightning while a blaster crouches behind me and unloads on him

The unbalance lies with possible strategy/coordination. No one on the light side can drain your stamina the same way palps can. If you use blaster fire, the enemy will reflect it, often at your ally, who is trying to attack the same enemy.

Instead of nerfing, why not add some combat elements, that are simple/logical?
    • Allow lightning to be reflected when within a certain distance
    • Reduce the accuracy of his lightning as his stamina gets lower
    • Allow Yoda to block all of his abilities. Dark Aura included (still slows you down, but you can block so you don't take dmg) After all, Yoda and the Emperor produced an explosion of power they are so equal... (ref. SW ep.3, Yoda reflecting Emperor's lightning, blasting them both away in that large senate room)

Yes, I agree with all of this, nerfing is not the answer. I would add that chain lightning should only hit enemies in Palpatines line of sight
  • Maybe even only certain heroes can reflect lightning. It is supposed to be a powerful dark side ability anyways, hard to withstand. But Yoda, Mace Windu... and who else? Has been known to reflect/absorb lightning?
  • rur2e1skquxp.gif

Lmao some people are just so dumb
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• StarLillie
    365 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    StarLillie wrote: »

I’m not sure what you mean by this, to my knowledge Yoda can already absorb the lightning to charge up his push. I was talking about lightsaber blocking and deflecting the lightning back at the attacker or his teammates. Similar to how blaster bolts are deflected back

Well that’s just insane

I don't think every Jedi should be able to do this. My point was this could be granted to Yoda and make sense.. Since if Yoda blocks Dokus lightening and then uses push it sends the lightening back at Doku.
    It is something already implemented. Therefore wouldn't be a very dramatic change. Meaning it won't make Palpatine completely irrelevant, as every sabre being able to deflect his move back at him clearly would.
    Might also make Yoda a bit more relevant again?
  • @StarLillie In my opinion having yoda reflect palpatines lightning as he does with dookus wouldn't make him relevant or any better at countering him.

I believe the issue is the lock on and constant damage palpatine deals with his lightning. Yoda, the way I believe youre saying should work, would absorb the lighting and when using his push would send it back to palaptine but not at the constant rate palpatine does, it would probably be a 1 second lightning animation worth of damage which really wouldn't change much again.

Palpatine has been one of my mains since the game came out, and it is ridicules how my team can go from losing 20 to 30 in HvV and once I use palps we win.

I think having saber heros reflect it back wouldnt be such a bad idea as long as the damage is skewed when reflected back. With palpatines spin he could also easily get behind their backs and deal damage. Also maybe have it so when dark aura is active players cant reflect lightning?

Applying this change isnt my first option, just an idea for sure. Ideally i'd want dice to tweak his stamina/ damage output first since he seemed to be pretty balanced a couple of months ago
  • @StarLillie In my opinion having yoda reflect palpatines lightning as he does with dookus wouldn't make him relevant or any better at countering him.

I believe the issue is the lock on and constant damage palpatine deals with his lightning. Yoda, the way I believe youre saying should work, would absorb the lighting and when using his push would send it back to palaptine but not at the constant rate palpatine does, it would probably be a 1 second lightning animation worth of damage which really wouldn't change much again.

Palpatine has been one of my mains since the game came out, and it is ridicules how my team can go from losing 20 to 30 in HvV and once I use palps we win.

I think having saber heros reflect it back wouldnt be such a bad idea as long as the damage is skewed when reflected back. With palpatines spin he could also easily get behind their backs and deal damage. Also maybe have it so when dark aura is active players cant reflect lightning?

Applying this change isnt my first option, just an idea for sure. Ideally i'd want dice to tweak his stamina/ damage output first since he seemed to be pretty balanced a couple of months ago

Good point on the Yoda push theory, you're right it would be to quick and then with recharge time, Palp would already have fully recovered.

I don't play Palpatine at all really, gave it a shot once or twice but just haven't gotten the feel for it.
    He's been more prominent (annoying) lately, no doubt, but I definitely don't want to see him abolished either. He's a powerful force to be reckoned with, and in a way I feel he should be. Maybe just not quite so easy to play (for most) as he is now.
    Balance is most definitely welcome. Your proposal might be a good way to achieve it.
    I would assume as you said, they will most likely tweak him above implementing new abilities for others to counter him.
  • KeyserSoze wrote: »

Like he did when he conceived Rey's dad?
    He's practically a tank.
    TANK? lol
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but this statement is slightly ignorant.

He's very agile, but if the other team has at least one decently skilled blaster hero, Palpatine gets melted fast.

But ofc the casuals don't want to bother with blaster heroes. I understand. Personally I always hated Boba more than Palpatine. I admit they both cause unbalance, since the lightside doesn't have any heroes to match their agility.
  • Hm... I definitely agree, he is OP in certain situations, but also crumbles quite easily when everyone gangs up on him.
    Random noobies on lightside can't grasp the notion of teamplay, so ofc they get annihilated by the Senate, especially if there isn't a single blaster among them.

Sadly, the jedi in this game don't have very good, if any, CC abilities. Ever since Anakin's last nerf, DS rules HvV again.
    No saber hero can match Vader's tankiness and damage, no hero can match Kylo's lengthy freeze etc.

Also let's not forget that any nerf to Palpatine won't just affect him in HvV, but also GA.
  • Hm... I definitely agree, he is OP in certain situations, but also crumbles quite easily when everyone gangs up on him.
    Yeah. Anyone does. It shouldn't require the entire team to take down one character, though!

He isn't untouchable but the only Jedi that counters him now that RMT was nerfed is Anakin. Finn and Han only counter him on wide open levels where he is jumping and has no saber defense... A good Palps just abuses dodge...

I am fine with the amount of stamina he drains, I am not ok with him draining that much stamina and Electrocute going through block with the star card. It needs to be one or the other, but not both. With the removal of micro stuns from his lightning and the buff to his stamina, he can deplete most Jedi's stamina easily and break block on an entire team. Dark Aura breaks block, slows and is still bugged to permanently slow you until you die (Amazing when you are buggy and it makes you more OP...). Also, after excessive play with Palps, his dodge is not only the best in the game, it also seems to have invulnerability frames quicker than any other dodge (just my own experience).

Any weakness Palpatine has is a strength compared to all other blaster characters on the light side. He is in a league of his own. If this we say an E-sport most of these characters (Leia/Launch Anakin) would not exist in their current state of balance. I am not sure what metrics they actually balance against, but recently more than ever the balancing is all over the place and heavily DS biased.

TLDR;
    Decrease the stamina Palps drains or remove guard break with Electrocute (star card), he shouldn't have both.
    His only Jedi counter is Anakin's Pull/Retribution.
    His dodge is too good, given that he doesn't have weaknesses to offset his mobility/damage/control.
    No ranged character can block, stating is as a weakness is asinine.
  • StarLillie
    365 posts Member
    edited January 2
    I handle Palpatine fairly easily with Luke, often.
    I'm terrible with Anakin, and there are a lot of new players who pick him and also don't know how to use him, so Luke is my go to every time. I don't think they expect it, as Palp users don't find Luke a threat for whatever reason.

Push, dash, stomp, dash and mash lol. Usually does the trick. He'll drain you a bit (a bit more than half) so be quick about it. Bye palps.

However, as stated above, he could use a tweak for sure. I feel sorry for all the newer players especially
  • StarLillie wrote: »
    I handle Palpatine fairly easily with Luke, often.
    I'm terrible with Anakin, and there are a lot of new players who pick him and also don't know how to use him, so Luke is my go to every time. I don't think they expect it, as Palp users don't find Luke a threat for whatever reason.

Push, dash, stomp, dash and mash lol. Usually does the trick. He'll drain you a bit (a bit more than half) so be quick about it. Bye palps.

However, as stated above, he could use a tweak for sure. I feel sorry for all the newer players especially

No offense, but in my opinion in a 1v1 Luke should only ever win in close quarters or pushing him off a ledge (Same skill levels). In any other situation I never lose to a good Luke. Repulse and Push both give Palps distance, unless its close quarters or off a cliff. People don't realize how broken Palps can be, I have started to get decent at dodging Anakin's pull which makes him easier to kill than Luke (Unless he has Retribution and I didn't know lol), since his stamina is horrible.

A couple tips for new Palps players vs Luke. Most Luke players play very aggressively, as they are rushing you, just dodge through them. Resist the temptation to dodge backwards. His dodge distance backwards is about half of his forward dodge, and a good Luke will lunge you and punish you for it. If you dodge backwards it better be to seal the deal. With high enough sensitivity you can 180 and start getting some damage in, rinse and repeat. You try to never turn you back to Luke, as his speed, lunge distance, and the increased stun duration from being attacked in the back can melt you in a couple seconds. Jumping is something I use only when necessary, as your location is more predictable, and your movement is slower. Jumping straight up is normally the best option, being ready to dodge as soon as you land. Just some basics.
  • On maps with cliffs or cqc, Palps is an easy target. But give me Death Star 2 or Starkiller Base as Palps and you really have little chance. Even Anakin is pretty worthless against Palps on those maps. Best counters: Luke on cliffs, Anakin in CQC and Chewie/Finn on maps with more open space. But if it's my maps, you have to work well as a team and hope that mine doesn't. If I'm against a good Palps on maps without cliffs, I usually go for Chewie. But if I'm on a bad team, I either just quit or wait for a new map/team and do what I can. Personally, I don't want Palps nerfed. Just would like to see some some buffs to other players to counter better.

• The emperor is able to get behind any characters defence with support from other villians and make games unbalanced resulting in a dark side victory 90% of the time and obi wan was the only counter by removing his dash, but due to the nerf he can't counter him anymore
  • I think he should only get a very small nerf if any. He is an amazing offensive hero with clear weaknesses that are easily exploited.
  • He does need sorting, get rid of lightning as the main ability and give him a saber. He beat Maul with a saber in clone wars animation so he can use them fine. His lightning ability is completely OP.
  • you know what´s even better than dealing with one Palpatine? two Palpatines...., this glitch is in HvV so ***** long and still not fixed yet... yeah it was fun for the oposing team to destroy us with two of them, but what Palp needs for balance is either faster stamina consumtion while attacking or slower stamina regen when not attacking, also his lighting staggers oppotents which is uber frustrating to play against, also reduce the VFXs of his Aura you can ´t see him with blaster hero in it and with saber user you can´t catch him because of its slowing effect