criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

Rian Johnson > JJ Abrams lets discuss

Prev1
Zach
557 posts Member
edited December 2019
I don’t dislike JJ Abrams. I respect his passion for Star Wars and think that he tried too hard to please everyone, but Johnson did a better job with TLJ than JJ did with TFA and TROS. Here’s a list of reasons why:

•Storytelling in TFA and ROS was lousy at best
•Over 5 years and 2 films Abrams added nothing new or notable to the Star Wars universe
•TLJ was the only ST film that took any risks
•Johnson opened up so many possibilities for the future of Star Wars with the “anyone can be a hero” theme, Abrams brutally murdered that theme in ROS
•TLJ taught the audience new things about the Force like all good Star Wars movies should. Abrams taught us nothing
•The most memorable scenes of the ST came from TLJ
•Abrams set up Johnson for failure by making the lousy decision of putting Luke in exile in TFA
•Abrams is incapable of making a Star Wars movie that doesn’t revolve around planet killing superweapons
•Plot holes galore in TFA and ROS
•Johnson did a decent job of adapting to TFA’s mistakes/plot holes. Abrams just took the Johnson’s mistakes in TLJ and made them so much worse in ROS
•ROS feels nothing like a Star Wars movie

Johnson has always been a better director than Abrams and this ST was no exception. Go ahead and roast me, I’m ready.

Update: Rian Johnson’s most recent original movie Knives Out is being awarded as one of the best films of 2019 and has been nominated for Golden Globes best motion picture. Meanwhile ROS is been reviewed as the worst SW movie since AOTC.
Post edited by Zach on

Replies

• This whole trilogy was off from the start. It's clear the focus was more on recapturing the "magic" of the original trilogy vs making a sensible story that wraps up the Saga.

Rian's movie took risks compared to TFA, but it also stuck to familiar beats of Empire Strikes Back. That said, it wasn't his story to begin with. I think this debate will resolve itself when Johnson's movies come out, and we get to see what he does when it's fully his story to tell.
  • bfloo
    16577 posts Member
    I think they are both bad.

TFA was a typical trash hollywood reboot. Developing characters is not one of JJ's strengths.

TLJ handled both militaries terribly and the pacing was awful. It gives AotC a run for being the dullest Star Wars movie. I will grant he didn't have much to work with.

RoS wasn't a great film, but it was enjoyable. The ending was terrible, plus it took too long to get there.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Zach
    557 posts Member
    awakespace wrote: »
    ROS was essentially like a comic book brought to the big screen. I didn't love all the choices, but it felt like it was at least trying to be part of the story. I applaud JJ for taking major risks and actually going complete nerd fantasy. There aren't really plot holes, just unexplained aspects. I wish someone had the brains to secure the story of the whole trilogy before they started this thing.

I think you may have just opened my third eye. Describing ROS as a comic book nerd fantasy is the best description of the movie I’ve seen, and perhaps I’ve been looking at it all wrong. I plan on seeing it a second time in IMAX and when I do I’ll try to watch it with a nerd fantasy mindset. Perhaps my mind will be changed.

I appreciate the comments so far. All have provided valuable perspectives
  • I liked TROS but was disappointed they didn't use time travel at all...seems obvious
  • Both are as equally incompetent with scenes that shatter 40 years of lore. But, on the other hand, Abrams doesn’t harass anyone who doesn’t like his products, and just that makes TROS somewhat better than TLJ for me.
    Open your eyes...
    ekn97qol2xso.gif

• Strogg1980
    2605 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    [Removed] Last Jedi was down their with Attack of the Clones as one of the worst star wars films,no question.

Let's leave out the drug references ~Rtas
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
  • Zach wrote: »
    awakespace wrote: »
    ROS was essentially like a comic book brought to the big screen. I didn't love all the choices, but it felt like it was at least trying to be part of the story. I applaud JJ for taking major risks and actually going complete nerd fantasy. There aren't really plot holes, just unexplained aspects. I wish someone had the brains to secure the story of the whole trilogy before they started this thing.

I think you may have just opened my third eye. Describing ROS as a comic book nerd fantasy is the best description of the movie I’ve seen, and perhaps I’ve been looking at it all wrong. I plan on seeing it a second time in IMAX and when I do I’ll try to watch it with a nerd fantasy mindset. Perhaps my mind will be changed.

I appreciate the comments so far. All have provided valuable perspectives

Yes - try to imagine comic frames around each scene, and literally almost every shot works from this perspective - and then just be open to its flow and style - I think you may have a very fun experience - I've seen it twice and enjoyed it thoroughly
  • I will say the one thing I missed in TROS is seeing Captain Phasma return to resolve her story arc, I guess they cut it for time
  • OcDoc
    2092 posts Member
    I liked Johnson’s take on the force better and neither did a good job with story telling or writing a sophisticated plot.

I thought JJ got the look, feel and pacing of Star Wars better.

In the end, I think neither are good enough moving forward or they at least need to hire a whole new set of screenplay writers.

Sad part is I could legitimately have written a better plot to this trilogy myself. It was simple, dumbed down, drawn out for no good reason, left lots of holes, answered few questions and often created big inconsistencies and in general it lacked in creativity.

The characters were ok, not great, which is probably the biggest problem with the new movies. This franchise really needs a new and more intelligent direction. I sort of feel bad for DICE that the movies didn’t set them up for more success with their game.

• The last jedi for me didn't feel like a sequel to the force awakens as it didn't answer any of the questions brought up in that film and set nothing up. Where as at least with jj and the 2 films he did they do feel like they are connected and he didn't ruin any OT characters I'm sorry but I just did not like what rian did with luke in ep8. If jj had done the whole trilogy then ep8 would have felt like a proper force awakens sequel and ep9 wouldn't have to have had so much jammed into it. Plus the force awakens and ep9 are more enjoyable than ep8. And plus why does everyone say rian took so many risks it felt like empire in alot of ways
  • Zach
    557 posts Member
    Further evidence in my favor is the critical reviews of the films. ROS is one of the worst reviewed Star Wars films ever while TLJ is one of the best reviewed movies ever, period.

PS Johnson’s most recent film Knives Out has been acclaimed as one of the best movies of the year while ROS is one of the worst blockbusters of the year. A lot of you might not agree with critic reviews but they’re less bias than the fans.
  • Zach
    557 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Batman20 wrote: »
    If jj had done the whole trilogy then ep8 would have felt like a proper force awakens sequel and ep9 wouldn't have to have had so much jammed into it.

I agree with you that they should have used the same director for all three movies to make it a cohesive story; however I would choose Johnson to be that guy over Abrams ever time.

My main point in this thread is that Johnson would make a better trilogy than Abrams if both were given full creative control.
  • the only critic I respect is Roger Ebert, and sad to say he is no longer with us
  • Let's leave out the swearing, drug references and inappropriate comments.
  • Batman20
    2304 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Zach wrote: »
    Batman20 wrote: »
    If jj had done the whole trilogy then ep8 would have felt like a proper force awakens sequel and ep9 wouldn't have to have had so much jammed into it.

I agree with you that they should have used the same director for all three movies to make it a cohesive story; however I would choose Johnson to be that guy over Abrams ever time.

My main point in this thread is that Johnson would make a better trilogy than Abrams if both were given full creative control.

Considering the reception the last jedi got by some star wars fans I think it's a good thing he didn't do the whole trilogy. I feel rian will do a better job with a new trilogy where it is new characters and he can do whatever he wants without worrying about fans moaning about him ruining old characters. Where as jj I feel was better suited to this trilogy as he played it safe and ep7 and 9 were good films not great but fun. If he had control of ep8 then we could have had Palpatine back earlier and I feel he would have given us a OT version of luke again meaning far less people would be hating on the new trilogy
  • Alex64
    8152 posts Member
    Nolan
    PIRIKA PIRIRARA!
  • ROMG4
    3482 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    •Storytelling in TFA and ROS was lousy at best.

The entire plotline of TLJ revolves around a ridiculous number of plot contrivances, plot armor, completely unexplained Deus ex MacGuffins, nonsensical plans, the complete cessation of plot lines, and events that destroy the established lore and setting of the universe. All three movies are at best equal in their lousy writing
    •Over five years and two films Abrams added nothing new or notable to the Star Wars universe
    Agreed. The Sequel Trilogy has established nothing in the universe; instead, all it has done is tear down the foundations of the entire series. The Prequel trilogy's core theme was about decay; when we see the Prequels, the Old Republic, formerly a glorious civilization based on Liberty and justice, has decayed. It's government bloated with corrupt politicians and organizations that prey upon the galaxy. The Jedi order once wise and just has become rigid and immovable the thousands of years of peace has made them blind to the state of the galaxy. The Prequel Trilogy, at its core, is a Greek tragedy about the price of arrogance and compliancy. While the Light Side has grown blind, the Dark Side has grown and changed and through centuries of manipulation lead to the destruction of the Old Republic and near extinction of the Jedi. But yet despite this darkness hope remains, hope first carried by Qui-Gon, to Anakin and now Luke and Leia

The Original Trilogy is about this new hope. The purification and restoration of the New Republic and Jedi Order a trilogy that sees the evil that blighted the galaxy for so long destroyed by the light the Dark sought to consume. The Sequel trilogy threw ALL of this away rather than continuing these themes, and bringing them to their conclusion, it yeeted them out the window and decided to redo the entire OT all over again. The new republic, Jedi order, the entire struggles of the past two trilogies rendered completely null and pointless

They even had the gull to say the new republic was worse off than the Old Republic during TPM in their "supplementary material."
    If by risks, you mean literally just not caring about anything and forcing his story into the 11th hour of a three trilogy series?
    •Johnson opened up so many possibilities for the future of Star Wars with the “anyone can be a hero” theme, Abrams brutally murdered that theme in ROS
    That was already a thing in Star Wars. Han went from being a small-time smuggler in the corner of the galaxy that was in it only for the money to the General of the Rebellion. A person that put the lives and safety of his friends over himself that despite it all grew to become a true friend

Lando went from being just like Han to the administrator of a mining colony, a real leader to his people. After years of administrating, the was forced into acting against his friends. A person who in the face of all the consequences risked his life to save them and then he became a general in the Rebellion and destroyed the Death Star 2

Look at all the Rebel pilots in the OT, look at all the other characters. Star Wars has never been ruled by the theme of "You are cool because you are noble." It's what makes Rian Johnson's massage all the more annoying and pretentious
    •TLJ taught the audience new things about the Force like all good Star Wars movies should. Abrams taught us nothing
    giphy.gif

When? When did TLJ teach us anything about the Force? That you can make skype calls with your enemy, that it can let you make completely unexplained holograms of which will end up killing you? No. There was none of the mysticism, none of the awe that the force was given in Empire Strikes Back or even the Prequels. TLJ taught us nothing. We saw no new insights, no new training, no mysticism.
    Yes, and for all the wrong reasons
    latest?cb=20180105215323
    source.gif
    hqdefault.jpg
    snoke-is-shocked.jpeg?crop=edges&fit=crop&auto=format%2Ccompress&dpr=2&h=325&w=650
    giphy.gif
    •Abrams set up Johnson for failure by making the lousy decision of putting Luke in exile in TFA
    Uhh, everything that happened in TLJ was entirely Rian's decision. JJ didn't do anything here

•Abrams is incapable of making a Star Wars movie that doesn’t revolve around planet-killing superweapons
    Add on to that Disney is incapable of making a Sequel Trilogy movie that doesn't borderline plagiarize
    Don't even wake up my OCD about the plot holes in TLJ. Please, no
    •Johnson did a decent job of adapting to TFA’s mistakes/plot holes. Abrams just took Johnson’s mistakes in TLJ and made them so much worse in ROS
    Rian straight up amputated all of Abram's mystery box plot lines. Which despite their vagueness had potentially very interesting implications and plot-lines. After all just take a youtube look back two years ago, all you had were theory videos because the boxes were interesting. If you call ABANDONING nearly all the foreshadow and established of the very previous film and consider that "adapting to writing mistakes" then I have a very different definition for that term
    Post edited by ROMG4 on
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/150464/the-oom-9-campaigns-over-2-and-a-half-year-anniversary-thread

• bfloo
    16577 posts Member
    ROMG4 wrote: »
    •Storytelling in TFA and ROS was lousy at best.

The entire plotline of TLJ revolves around a ridiculous number of plot contrivances, plot armor, completely unexplained deus ex macguffins, nonsensical plans, the complete cessation of plot lines, and events that completely destroy the established lore and setting of the universe. All 3 movies are at best equal in their lousy writing
    •Over 5 years and 2 films Abrams added nothing new or notable to the Star Wars universe
    Agreed. The Sequel Trilogy has established nothing in the universe instead all it has done is tear down the foundations of the entire series. The Prequel trilogy's core theme was about decay, when we see the Prequels the Old Republic formerly a glorious civilization based on Liberty and justice has decayed. It's government bloated with corrupt politicians and organizations that prey upon the galaxy. The Jedi order once wise and just has become rigid and immovable the thousands of years of peace has made them blind to the state of the galaxy. The Prequel Trilogy at it's core is a Greek tragedy about the price of arrogance and compliancy. While the Light Side has grown blind the Dark Side has grown and changed and through centuries of manipulation lead to the complete destruction of the Old Republic and near extinction of the Jedi. But yet despite this darkness hope remains, hope first carried by Qui-Gon, to Anakin and now Luke and Leia

The Original Trilogy is about this new hope. The purification and restoration of the New Republic and Jedi Order a trilogy that sees the evil that blighted the galaxy for so long destroyed by the light the Dark sought to consume. The Sequel trilogy threw ALL of this away rather then continuing these themes and bringing them to their final conclusion it literally yeeted them out the window and decided to redo the entire OT all over again. The new republic, jedi order, the entire struggles of the past two trilogies rendered completely null and pointless

They even had the gull to say the new republic was worse off than the Old Republic during TPM in their "supplementary material"
    If by risks you mean literally just not caring about anything and forcing his story into the 11th hour of a 3 trilogy series?
    That was already a thing in Star Wars. Han went from being a small time smuggler in the corner of the galaxy that was in it only for the money to the General of the Rebellion. A person that put the lives and safety of his own friends over himself that despite it all grew to become a true friend

Lando went from being just like Han to the administrator of a mining colony, a real leader to his people. Who would later be forced into acting against his own friends against his will. A person who risked his life to than save them and became a general in the Rebellion who then destroyed the Death Star 2

Look at all the Rebel pilots in the OT, look at all the other characters. Star Wars has never been ruled by the theme of "You are cool because you are a noble". It's what makes Rian Johnson's massage all the more annoying and pretentious
    giphy.gif

When? When did TLJ teach us anything about the Force? That you can make skype calls with your enemy, that it can let you make completely unexplained holograms of which will end up killing you? No. There was none of the mysticism, none of the awe that the force was given in Empire Strikes Back or even the Prequels. TLJ taught us nothing we saw no new insights, no new training, no mysticism.
    Yes, and for all the wrong reasons
    latest?cb=20180105215323
    hqdefault.jpg
    snoke-is-shocked.jpeg?crop=edges&fit=crop&auto=format%2Ccompress&dpr=2&h=325&w=650
    giphy.gif
    Uhh, everything that happened in TLJ was entirely Rian's decisions. JJ didn't do anything here

•Abrams is incapable of making a Star Wars movie that doesn’t revolve around planet killing superweapons
    Add on to that Disney is incapable of making a Sequel Trilogy movie that doesn't borderline plagerize
    Don't even wake up my OCD about the plot holes in TLJ. Please, no
    •Johnson did a decent job of adapting to TFA’s mistakes/plot holes. Abrams just took the Johnson’s mistakes in TLJ and made them so much worse in ROS
    Rian straight up amputated all of Abram's mystery boxes if you call that "adapting" then I have a very different definition for that word

Can't we just be glad the st is finished and now never speak of it again?

The best 2 characters to come out of the entire thing are TR-8R and Captain Canaday. They have maybe 2 minutes on screen between them.

h846398gb27k.png

• ROMG4
    3482 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »
    [
    Can't we just be glad the st is finished and now never speak of it again?

The best 2 characters to come out of the entire thing are TR-8R and Captain Canaday. They have maybe 2 minutes on screen between them.
    cdt5oxaf7p501.png?auto=webp&s=ad320e82637fda3ff29941ef3ade7876ec57c07f

OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS

Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/150464/the-oom-9-campaigns-over-2-and-a-half-year-anniversary-thread

• Alex64
    8152 posts Member
    ROS celebration scene was awful
    tenor.gif
    PIRIKA PIRIRARA!
  • Ppong_Man12
    2923 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    RJ had more original ideas, the problem is most were bad ideas, definitely not a top tier writer imo but he did take a few risk,...and lost. JJ is a copy/paste used car salesman type imo. He just copy’s what’s already been done by people that can actually think, he basically adds a new coat of paint to an old car to make things look good on the outside. The problem is it’s only skin deep, looks great on the outside but has a blown motor.
  • I actually liked ROS a lot. For what came before this was great. Watch Star Wars Theory for some good explanations. It wasn’t perfect and I had some obvious grips with like 3 things. But for what we’ve gotten, this was a great movie to me.

Last jedi has 0 emotion from me
  • Biggest gripe was Anakin not being a force ghost and not having kylo kill palp WITH kylo.
  • They're both equally worthless IMO.

One is an overrated hack who shows how great movies could have turned out in another groups hands.

The other is a drooling ***** who's a dab hand at trolling.
  • They're both equally worthless IMO.

One is an overrated hack who shows how great movies could have turned out in another groups hands.

The other is a drooling ***** who's a dab hand at trolling.

This is perfect
  • bfloo
    16577 posts Member
    I actually liked ROS a lot. For what came before this was great. Watch Star Wars Theory for some good explanations. It wasn’t perfect and I had some obvious grips with like 3 things. But for what we’ve gotten, this was a great movie to me.

Great is pushing it. Enjoyable, yes.

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »
    I actually liked ROS a lot. For what came before this was great. Watch Star Wars Theory for some good explanations. It wasn’t perfect and I had some obvious grips with like 3 things. But for what we’ve gotten, this was a great movie to me.

There’s obvious story plot holes we as star wars fans can’t get over. But as a MOVIE I thought it was great. Emotion, action, and comedy were all woven in great. Could’ve had more action at the end, but oh well. It wasn’t prefect, but I’ll give it “great” for me setting aside the Star Wars Lore
  • bfloo
    16577 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

There’s obvious story plot holes we as star wars fans can’t get over. But as a MOVIE I thought it was great. Emotion, action, and comedy were all woven in great. Could’ve had more action at the end, but oh well. It wasn’t prefect, but I’ll give it “great” for me setting aside the Star Wars Lore

Fair enough

h846398gb27k.png

• Maybe Disney made more changes than we know 👀.
  • bfloo
    16577 posts Member
    Maybe Disney made more changes than we know 👀.

It has generally gotten a positive reception, they should just leave good enough alone.

h846398gb27k.png

• awakespace wrote: »
    No need to roast you - I just disagree

I found TLJ boring, constantly making no sense, plot wholes in almost every scene, characters acting like they lack brain cells, and the movie completely ignorant of the story it was trying to be a part of. It had no substance, just subversion of expectations in a dumb way - like if I told you I'd meet you at 5pm, but then showed up at 7pm and said "I did it on purpose, to subvert your expectations - isn't that cool!!!?" I really can't stand the movie, I've tried to watch it about 7 times, and each time it makes me feel a bit sick.

To me the original 6 stand on their own. Anakin left the force in balance - first it was overly light, then after order 66 it was overly dark - at the end of ROTJ, Luke, Leia, and the husk of Palpatine sound pretty much like balance. And 7 and 9 are like a story about the children, but not the same story - at the end of 9 the force is not in balance, it is leaning towards the light again.

I agree with this guy. Can't be bothered to go into the detail but TLJ was awfully written and directed. Plot holes and terrible character development everywhere. The cast did a great job with what was given to them.. especially Mark Hamill who I genuinely feel sorry for. Rhian Johnson in my opinion is a total joke.

JJ often got the balance right between nostalgia and story and you can probably watch episodes 7 and 9 back to back and get a good idea of the story and enjoy them both. The only tragedy is JJ didn't do episode 8.
  • TLJ was a awful botched disaster. Rain Johnson just completed the circle on ruining Luke Skywalker. Rian Johnson failed because he kept trying to "Subvert our expectations" with all the "surprises" By the time you get to Finn's "sacrifice" you're thinking "Wow this is really ballsy. Finn is gonna go out like a hero" But then a voice in the back of your mind says "Whats the catch here? This movies is full of them" Then bam Rose crashes into him ruining what could have been one of the best moments of the trilogy. Also the whole Canto Bight thing? Awful, That should have been cut. No questions asked. Then we have the Holdo Maneuver. This is so dumb because that is not how lightspeed works. Lightspeed isn't just going really really fast. Its pretty complicated but now Rian Johnson goes and pulls this stupid crap. Now all I can think is why dont I put Hyperdrives on ships and just launch them at the enemy?

All of that is barely scratching the surface. In conclusion never let Rian Johnson touch Star Wars again

Brilliant 👏👏👏

It has generally gotten a positive reception, they should just leave good enough alone.

Not really. It's far behind the box office pace of its predecessor, which just so happens to be arguably the most hated blockbuster in decades. It's at 54% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 6.9/10 on IMDB, which are the second and third lowest ratings for an SW movie on those respective websites. An Abrams cut is absolutely necessary IMO, which is a shame because in all likelihood it won't happen.

Not really. It's far behind the box office pace of its predecessor, which just so happens to be arguably the most hated blockbuster in decades. It's at 54% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 6.9/10 on IMDB, which are the second and third lowest ratings for an SW movie on those respective websites. An Abrams cut is absolutely necessary IMO, which is a shame because in all likelihood it won't happen.

Don't trust the ratings my child. The one rated lower is TPM which is a great movie. (Don't belive me? Go back and watch it now and just see how much more Star Warsy it feels than any of the new movies)
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

Don't trust the ratings my child. The one rated lower is TPM which is a great movie. (Don't belive me? Go back and watch it now and just see how much more Star Warsy it feels than any of the new movies)

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember 8 of the 9 episodes released at cinema and I can tell you the TPM on release was interpreted as the least 'star warsy' thing they could have done... and it was hated upon for years... the AotC was worse.

Over time though they have had their place in the story recognised and those people that grew up with the PT as their first introduction to Star Wars love them .. understandably.

It will be the same for new movies. I think they are great and tell a good story.... except episode 8.

I do agree with you though.. TPM is a good movie, I enjoy it every time I watch it.
  • Also a big fan of TPM, better by miles than anything post GL. Out of the 3 prequels it used the least amount of CGI and more on set/location and models. Looks great, sounds great, has some of the best LS fights and coolest characters(Maul and QuiGon), of all SW movies imo.
  • Trilogy was a mess with no plan, end off story.
  • bfloo
    16577 posts Member
    Also a big fan of TPM, better by miles than anything post GL. Out of the 3 prequels it used the least amount of CGI and more on set/location and models. Looks great, sounds great, has some of the best LS fights and coolest characters(Maul and QuiGon), of all SW movies imo.

CGI was brand new at the time.

h846398gb27k.png

I'm not commenting on how good I think these movies are, just their overall reception. That TPM is a good movie doesn't change the fact that it was hated on far more than any SW movie not named The Last Jedi. And if you still don't trust the ratings (which is fine, especially because there are probably some shady deals going on between Disney and their reviewers), you can look at the box office. ROS is far behind the pace of TLJ, and TLJ's total gross was considered to be somewhat of a disappointment.

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember 8 of the 9 episodes released at cinema and I can tell you the TPM on release was interpreted as the least 'star warsy' thing they could have done... and it was hated upon for years... the AotC was worse.

Over time though they have had their place in the story recognised and those people that grew up with the PT as their first introduction to Star Wars love them .. understandably.

It will be the same for new movies. I think they are great and tell a good story.... except episode 8.

I do agree with you though.. TPM is a good movie, I enjoy it every time I watch it.

At last we agree on one thing! Lmao. Atoc is awful except for the last 20 minutes lmao. I tried watching it again and who ever wrote Anakin and Padmes lines had no idea what they were writing

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

At last we agree on one thing! Lmao. Atoc is awful except for the last 20 minutes lmao. I tried watching it again and who ever wrote Anakin and Padmes lines had no idea what they were writing

Anakin to Padme quote....... "Padme.... whenever i'm around you, i just feel so different, it's so overwhelming." It's goes something along the lines of that, but i can't stand those parts.
  • AoC romance scenes get way too much hate. AoC is better than people say.
  • All the ST movies are simply epic

Some people just too dumb to understand them
    egbjli2nc8l7.jpeg
    Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png

Ehh The Romance scenes are pretty bad dude. The writing is terrible the movies only saving grace is the great actors and the action at the end

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• ROMG4
    3482 posts Member
    The Sequel Trilogy will go down in history as the largest and greatest marketing campaign of all time

In just 5 years they did what George couldn't get us to see for 10 in his own way

They made us look back, understand, and re appreciate his stories in a way I don't think we might ever have otherwise
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS

A OOM-9 Thread!

Ehh The Romance scenes are pretty bad dude. The writing is terrible the movies only saving grace is the great actors and the action at the end

Can’t relate 🤷🏻‍♂️. The love scenes were needed and they show anakins immaturity. They make sense to me and I don’t get the bad writing, any examples?
  • ExtractionFan69
    484 posts Member
    edited January 13
    AoC romance scenes get way too much hate. AoC is better than people say.

Can’t relate 🤷🏻‍♂️. The love scenes were needed and they show anakins immaturity. They make sense to me and I don’t get the bad writing, any examples?

"I hate sand" is one of the all time funniest romantic monologues, and very unintentionally...and then Padme stops his extremely awkward advance dead in its tracks :D

pretty much all Anakin dialogue in the prequels is poorly written and horribly acted by Jake & Hayden, or as I call them the Oscar Twins

"I hate sand" is one of the all time funniest romantic monologues, and very unintentionally...and then Padme stops his extremely awkward advance dead in its tracks :D

pretty much all Anakin dialogue in the prequels is poorly written and horribly acted by Jake & Hayden, or as I call them the Oscar Twins

I hate sand was him talking about his memory of being a slave because his planet was all sand. Plus he used that to be able to touch padme. One would call that smooth lol. Why do I need to describe flirting to you lol, cmon now. Then she realizes she shouldn’t be doing it, so she gets out of the mood.

It was obvious flirting and it worked LOL, not much to flirt about in Star Wars. Hayden was great, your opinion is lacking