criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Rian Johnson > JJ Abrams lets discuss

13Next

Replies

• ROMG4
    4675 posts Member
    @ROMG4 did a great job this thread. Took most of my thought right out of my head.

I have a strong hatred for this movie and I admit that

To be honest my opinions about the movie haven't changed much since my initial viewing way back in 2017, the only thing that has changed is just how much more of the movie I realize is broken

It's like a perpetual machine of bad writing
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/152598/the-oom-9-vs-jar-jar-season

Episode 9's Ending
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025735/uploads/editor/15/zs312vl0xftg.jpeg
  • Honestly ive been finding that Im starting to appreciate certain aspects of The Last Jedi.

Filmmaking wise, Rian’s movie is much more visually appealing. It has better pacing with well spaced action, exposition, and character building scenes. Two scenes in particular are the climax leading up to the hyperspace ram as all the plots converge, and the scene with Luke walks out to face the AT ATs.
    Now I still hate 95% of the things in this movie and alot of the choices are dumb. But at least it has the basic comprehension of good filmmaking. Maybe a Rian trilogy wouldnt be so bad if it was placed far away from the main SW timeline

Now juxtapose this with the JJ films, that are non stop action, get to point A to get to point B to get to point C- its like watching a children’s cartoon, JJ’s too afraid to loose your attention so there’s constantly stuff going on. Nostalgia is thrown at you and not cleverly used, so many conveniences, Not to mention the plot in his films are either ripped off or just flat out a headache to digest. At least TLJ’s plot was...unique ish and wasnt planet destroying superweapon v5

Also (cant believe im defending him here) ppl love to praise TFA and say Rian ruined the trilogy, but it was doomed from the start. Making a trilogy with no outline or map leads to failure. Like where was Rian supposed to go with the leftovers from TFA? Explain why Luke was exiled, Rey’s parents, and Snoke’s identity- what was he supposed to do with that so itd be satisfying for the fans? He coulda either gone the JJ route and go nostalgia hard or do something different. Thats how we got grumpy Luke, nobody Rey (which I actually liked) and nobody Snoke (which I did like but they shoulda given some backstory).
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • ROMG4
    4675 posts Member
    Honestly ive been finding that Im starting to appreciate certain aspects of The Last Jedi.
    The best I can say about TLJ is that I had a more enjoyable first viewing experience then with Rise Of Skywalker
    Filmmaking wise, Rian’s movie is much more visually appealing. It has better pacing with well spaced action, exposition, and character building scenes. Two scenes in particular are the climax leading up to the hyperspace ram as all the plots converge, and the scene with Luke walks out to face the AT ATs.
    True but I would expect nothing less from a major movie nowadays, visually the ST movies have always looked incredible. But its the script where it falls so short in, they are like pixie sticks. Oh they look nice but they are hollow and unfulfilling, unlike Crayons
    Now I still hate 95% of the things in this movie and alot of the choices are dumb. But at least it has the basic comprehension of good filmmaking. Maybe a Rian trilogy wouldnt be so bad if it was placed far away from the main SW timeline
    I would be happy with 10,000 years in the future

Also (cant believe im defending him here) ppl love to praise TFA and say Rian ruined the trilogy, but it was doomed from the start. Making a trilogy with no outline or map leads to failure. Like where was Rian supposed to go with the leftovers from TFA? Explain why Luke was exiled, Rey’s parents, and Snoke’s identity- what was he supposed to do with that so itd be satisfying for the fans? He coulda either gone the JJ route and go nostalgia hard or do something different. Thats how we got grumpy Luke, nobody Rey (which I actually liked) and nobody Snoke (which I did like but they shoulda given some backstory).
    He could have started by not making the FO and Resistance incompetent, not going through with Kylo's training, not making the movie pretentious

Sure JJ may have not left him the best place to start, but it was something. It is his failure as a writer that TLJ is the way it is, he had full freedom to do whatever he wanted from Kathleen. The failure of TLJ is all but his alone
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/152598/the-oom-9-vs-jar-jar-season

Episode 9's Ending
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025735/uploads/editor/15/zs312vl0xftg.jpeg
  • Rian is not a bad director.
    But he has as much Star Wars as my mom.

JJ in the other hand, he's a true Star Wars fan. I would like to see what he can do with total creative freedom
  • I like both but rj wins out for me. Tlj is a great movie. Tfa and ros are good. I don’t care about what people rate them or the controversy they try to keep going. I love the sequels and there are plenty of others who do. Maybe they aren’t on these forums but i am sure there are some. There are some legit criticisms people have about the sequels but its drowned out by the whiners and crusaders who always want to bash whatever new thing is not pure to the old thing.
  • I liked Last Jedi better when it was an episode of Battlestar Galactica in 1979
    Order of Strike maps leading up to Extraction:
    Kamino -> Mos Eisley -> Death Star II -> Kessel -> Jabba's
  • I think jj has a better mass appeal than rj and this is where his talent lies. Rj is a very quirky dude and it shows in his films. It can be off putting especially with the humor and other decisions he makes for the sake of originality. Jj has always played it too safe for my particular liking (watch star trek into darkness for reference) but the dude knows how to take a dying franchise and appeal it to modern audiences and i think that is a rare talent that is often overlooked.
  • bfloo
    17025 posts Member
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    I think jj has a better mass appeal than rj and this is where his talent lies. Rj is a very quirky dude and it shows in his films. It can be off putting especially with the humor and other decisions he makes for the sake of originality. Jj has always played it too safe for my particular liking (watch star trek into darkness for reference) but the dude knows how to take a dying franchise and appeal it to modern audiences and i think that is a rare talent that is often overlooked.

Star Trek is in severe decline. The bad deals they made with the franchise at the studio level are a much bigger issue. I don't consider it JJ's fault, but I don't think he bought in a new younger audience. There wouldn't be so many complaints about the Kelvin Time line. I enjoyed the 1st one he made, the Kahn one was terrible, the other was kind of meh. In JJ's defense, Star Trek films are hit or miss.

My biggest criticism of JJ is he isn't good at character building. It isn't a big issue in Star Trek because he used existing characters. The main characters in the st just seem so undeveloped my mood towards them is just apathetic.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »
    I think jj has a better mass appeal than rj and this is where his talent lies. Rj is a very quirky dude and it shows in his films. It can be off putting especially with the humor and other decisions he makes for the sake of originality. Jj has always played it too safe for my particular liking (watch star trek into darkness for reference) but the dude knows how to take a dying franchise and appeal it to modern audiences and i think that is a rare talent that is often overlooked.

Star Trek is in severe decline. The bad deals they made with the franchise at the studio level are a much bigger issue. I don't consider it JJ's fault, but I don't think he bought in a new younger audience. There wouldn't be so many complaints about the Kelvin Time line. I enjoyed the 1st one he made, the Kahn one was terrible, the other was kind of meh. In JJ's defense, Star Trek films are hit or miss.

My biggest criticism of JJ is he isn't good at character building. It isn't a big issue in Star Trek because he used existing characters. The main characters in the st just seem so undeveloped my mood towards them is just apathetic.

Well, we are getting more trek now than ever before so despite what people feel about the kelvin timeline i think its safe to say it did bring in new folks.
  • bfloo
    17025 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

Well, we are getting more trek now than ever before so despite what people feel about the kelvin timeline i think its safe to say it did bring in new folks.

Rumor has it Discovery's 4th season was walked away from and Picard is hemorrhaging viewers. I haven't really looked into if either are true. I haven't watched a lot of Discovery, so I don't know what it is like. Picard has all the elements of a good show. All the episodes flow well, none are a drag to sit through, but there overall story arc just feels off.
    I've seen the political comparisons they are jumping around about with Picard these days, but it hasn't been an issue for me.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Cane_danko wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »

the franchise is on life support and is in much bigger trouble than Star Wars... they can't finance a new movie at this point, and have had huge problems with their streaming product
    Order of Strike maps leading up to Extraction:
    Kamino -> Mos Eisley -> Death Star II -> Kessel -> Jabba's