criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Yoda: 4th Ability? Master Star Cards that alter default abilities?

Prev1
Scion_of_Yggdrasil
711 posts Member
edited January 10
Tangent ahead! Skip to the bold if you want the goods. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Yoda has only ever been nerfed. The only "buff" he has received is being able to block lightsabers, which hardly counts as a buff (should have always been that way).

As the Grandmaster, he should be more powerful than even Anakin (i.e. a conversation between Yoda and the Emperor, acknowledging that Anakin wiiiill become stronger than both of them, but Anakin as is...is NOT stronger). That is neither here nor there... That being said, why not make Yoda the ultimate support/healer? Since his DPS has been harshly nerfed, I would rather run around keeping everyone alive than killing everyone!

What it does: Stamina costs are reduced by X%, and health regeneration begins immediately and continuously regenerates for Yoda and all nearby allies for the duration of Respite.
  • Health regenerates at each units corresponding default hp/sec.
  • Health regeneration delay returns when you leave Respite's radius or Respite expires
  • Stamina costs return to normal when you leave Respite's radius or Respite expires

Ability Balancing: Respite isn't anything too crazy, since Officer's can produce a similar effect. It compliments Yoda's Presence, which can save someone immediately since it grants a large amount of health at once. Respite lacks that threshold, so enemies can still finish you off if you are already low on health, or if they steadily do damage. This will force Yoda and allies to actively make Respite effective, instead of it being an overpowered freebie. This is needed, since if used in conjunction with Presence, would make you almost invincible until the abilities cool down.

Animation/Graphics: Yoda grunts and puts a hand on his heart (as he feels his allies pain from taking damage), then throws his hands out (similar to Presence) as he begins to levitate. Once he is off the ground, the AOE is established, and a greenish energy wave is released from Yoda's chest. This will spread to the edge of the AOE so allies can see if they are in, or need to enter, his radius. Yoda lands as the energy wave dissipates, and there is a subtle green sparkle in the AOE. Yoda can begin actions as soon as his feet touches the floor. It is a slightly longer animation compared to Presence, and rightfully so.

[edit: I commented on another thread and ended up liking my idea on there, better than the one presented below in the comments, so here is the revised Mater Star Cards for Yoda]

Yoda's Master Cards:
  • Respite: Replaces Presence. All within Yoda's radius immediately begin health regen, and continue to regen until the ability expires. Stamina costs are also reduced while active for Yoda and all within his radius. Duration/Stamina Reduction Scale: 4, 7, 10 seconds/5, 10, 15% reduction
  • Lightsaber Tackle: Replaces Dash. Yoda throws his lightsaber, impaling his target, and leaping at them to yank it out. Can be used 3 times consecutively, throwing/leaping from one target to the next.
  • Vanguard: Replaces Unleash. Yoda creates a large force barrier in front of him, blocking and absorbing all blaster fire, force abilities, and explosives, protecting all behind him. Can only absorb X dmg before it breaks. Releasing L1 cancels the ability. Has a maximum hold time in addition to its breaking point. Acts as a barrier that enemies cannot pass through (great for holding hallways).
Post edited by Scion_of_Yggdrasil on

Replies

• It would work well in HvV and GA/CS.

HvV Gameplay:
    • Respite would be ther perfect Dark Aura counter
    • It would force you to stay close to keep the team alive
    • You can use it selfishly if you want a quick burst of DPS
    • You can use it to stay alive until your team respawns.

GA/CS Gameplay:
    • Since only heroes use stamina, Respite is already toned down for non-heroes
    • Doesn't make anyone invincible, but pretty close if combined with Presence. You just have to make sure you land that perfect cooldown when you overheat your blaster, and aim for the head!
    • Counters: stinger, anything Bossk, acid launchers.
  • I mean... this is technically Qui-Gon... but would be a cool effect to surround affected allies, or just to surround Yoda. Ideally, the immediate radius would sparkle, and that would look cool when mashed with Dark Aura....
    kn68s8p40edo.png
  • Using “he is grandmaster and should be even more powerful than Anakin” is no different than the people who say “Anakin is the chosen one and should be OP.” It makes very little sense to balance a game based off what someone should be. On top of that, the LAST thing the LS needs is another team health buff. They already get 50% reduction and constant health regen with Finn’s Big Deal. With Anakin, Finn, and Yoda with that ability on the final stage of any map, good luck winning. Everybody is going to cry
  • Yoda is a great balanced hero. There shouldn’t be anymore 4th abilities added to anyone. Anakins was completely unnecessary and is the reason why he’s a tad bit overpowered
  • Using “he is grandmaster and should be even more powerful than Anakin” is no different than the people who say “Anakin is the chosen one and should be OP.” It makes very little sense to balance a game based off what someone should be. On top of that, the LAST thing the LS needs is another team health buff. They already get 50% reduction and constant health regen with Finn’s Big Deal. With Anakin, Finn, and Yoda with that ability on the final stage of any map, good luck winning. Everybody is going to cry

Clarification: this is just an idea... lets discuss it. Obviously there would need to be some limits, as goes with any ability. HP will not regenerate past their regular regeneration limit. It just ensures they can keep their existing HP where it is... hopefully.

And make no mistake, I think all heroes need 4th abilities now. Dooku already removes health buffs, so there's your first/best counter. There can be more. Dark Aura? Or anything Emperor for that matter is already a good counter for hp/sec. Chain lightning always breaks through.

Health regen isn't game breaking, and differs entirely from the health buff Yoda and Finn already have. You would still die just as quickly when you are getting hit, since your health wouldn't be regenerating. The only real impact Respite would have is ensuring you can make it out alive if you back off and run, orrrrr gives you a moment to fight back.

Besides, you still have to charge it up... You can go a whole round without seeing Anakin use Retribution, so why is this a reason to cry??? Get good... or get your butt handed to you, then you get to use it! Chances are, if you are in a situation where its charged up, your team probably isn't doing too hot.

Maybe that can be the kicker? ONLY charges up when Yoda and Allies take damage. Otherwise... you don't need the heal, right?
  • BB9e
    38 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Yoda will remain a “snack” for the DS, he was in a good place before the nerf, the DS try-hards cried too much.
  • BB9e wrote: »
    Yoda will remain a “snack” for the DS, he was in a good place before the nerf, the DS try-hards cried too much.

Funny point actually... is there a lot of Yoda haters or something? Because I often find myself the first hero targeted when I play as Yoda. He just wants to go back to his young lings!

Exactly why he needs a 4th ability. Hes slow. He barely does any damage anymore, and when you do, it takes a few hops, a dodge here and there, a dash... I mean, you reeeeally gotta work for it. At least before, you had dmg to show for it. His health buff has been nerfed... isn't that ironic...

Heck! Respite is my brainchild, and I still thinks its underwhelming in comparision. Anakin chokes you even if you block. If you dodge just right, you can thank a bug for letting you escape, but otherwise you would have stopped breathing.

Respite would allow you to block maybe 1-2 more hits, maybe even save you from 10hp, but only to get you back to your measly 200some hp you had before. Not to mention... your hp won't regen unless you last a whole sec without taking any damage. Yippy... still won't save you when the DS corners you...
  • Love it +1
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    711 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Yoda is a great balanced hero. There shouldn’t be anymore 4th abilities added to anyone. Anakins was completely unnecessary and is the reason why he’s a tad bit overpowered

I agree 100% that Anakin shook things up... but my approach to this is, since we have already opened pandoras box, lets see what else is inside! If done right... I think 4th abilities will be how the game becomes balanced again. We are trying to juggle too few elements right now, and there are limited strategies as a result. On the flip side, you might argue less is more. I can't deny that haha

Clarification: this is just an idea... lets discuss it. Obviously there would need to be some limits, as goes with any ability. HP will not regenerate past their regular regeneration limit. It just ensures they can keep their existing HP where it is... hopefully.

And make no mistake, I think all heroes need 4th abilities now. Dooku already removes health buffs, so there's your first/best counter. There can be more. Dark Aura? Or anything Emperor for that matter is already a good counter for hp/sec. Chain lightning always breaks through.

Health regen isn't game breaking, and differs entirely from the health buff Yoda and Finn already have. You would still die just as quickly when you are getting hit, since your health wouldn't be regenerating. The only real impact Respite would have is ensuring you can make it out alive if you back off and run, orrrrr gives you a moment to fight back.

Besides, you still have to charge it up... You can go a whole round without seeing Anakin use Retribution, so why is this a reason to cry??? Get good... or get your butt handed to you, then you get to use it! Chances are, if you are in a situation where its charged up, your team probably isn't doing too hot.

Maybe that can be the kicker? ONLY charges up when Yoda and Allies take damage. Otherwise... you don't need the heal, right?

You’re addressing HvV more than the impact it would have in large modes. In HvV, it might be useful. But it would be insanely broken in GA. I realize it’s an idea and I disagree that all heroes need 4th ability, because that makes Anakin unique, if other heroes were to have a 4th ability, I’d rather it not be broken.
    Taking damage to charge an ability seems fitting for one like Retribution because Anakin releases his anger and chokes his enemies. For Yoda, it would most likely be something that has to deal with the total health he has buffed and once he’s buffed let’s say 3000 health across the entire team in total, his ability would be ready. But with Finn’s Big Deal, you constantly regen health like you suggest, get a health buff, have all your abilities on faster cooldown, and take a huge damage reduction. Couple that with Yoda in GA, and DS would never win.
    What I would prefer to see, because they neutered his offense, is something that largely increases his offense. Faster swings, more stamina, larger regen threshold to 500 (doubling his current threshold), and instant ability cooldown with a shorter cooldown after it’s been used. Yoda is already strong in defense and support but heavily lacks in offense since they neutered him. An ultimate ability like that would make it extremely hard to win as DS in large modes
  • @Boomerkills Charging it by healing would be an even cooler concept. We definitely agree on one thing... he has been wrongfully/dramatically snipped.

I personally prefer healers in RPG's, hence my inclination to accent Yoda's healing abilities, vs his offensive skills. Hit nature, as well, would imply he would rather heal than harm.

We have witnessed healing in both a show, and movie, now. We should showcase this in Battlefront. Finns heal never made sense to me... but it is what it is.

I've also suggested giving him a Frenzy type 4th ability. But feel healing would be way more true to his character. I care about those things :s

Throw that lightsaber!
    zkvqsxzym7ap.png
  • “An ultimate ability like that” ^^
    Referring to the one you suggested
  • @Boomerkills Charging it by healing would be an even cooler concept. We definitely agree on one thing... he has been wrongfully/dramatically snipped.

I personally prefer healers in RPG's, hence my inclination to accent Yoda's healing abilities, vs his offensive skills. Hit nature, as well, would imply he would rather heal than harm.

We have witnessed healing in both a show, and movie, now. We should showcase this in Battlefront. Finns heal never made sense to me... but it is what it is.

I've also suggested giving him a Frenzy type 4th ability. But feel healing would be way more true to his character. I care about those things :s

Throw that lightsaber!
    zkvqsxzym7ap.png

I don’t mind healing abilities but canonically, the only LS hero that has learned that ability is Rey. I’m not much of a stickler for having things be exactly how they are in the movies so I’m content with who heals in this game. But the DS needs literally any sort of team buff before LS gets another one.
  • Yoda is a great balanced hero. There shouldn’t be anymore 4th abilities added to anyone. Anakins was completely unnecessary and is the reason why he’s a tad bit overpowered

I agree 100% that Anakin shook things up... but my approach to this is, since we have already opened pandoras box, lets see what else is inside! If done right... I think 4th abilities will be how the game becomes balanced again. We are trying to juggle too few elements right now, and there are limited strategies as a result. On the flip side, you might argue less is more. I can't deny that haha

I see what you mean, but for me, that’s a concept that should be forgotten about.

Throw that lightsaber!
    zkvqsxzym7ap.png

I don’t mind healing abilities but canonically, the only LS hero that has learned that ability is Rey. I’m not much of a stickler for having things be exactly how they are in the movies so I’m content with who heals in this game. But the DS needs literally any sort of team buff before LS gets another one.

I would absolutely agree... which is why I think DS should have plenty of status ailments to counter. Thats the overall theme now anyhow. LS prioritizes buffs and rag doll abilities, while DS boasts DPS like no other.

Watch the Mandalorian... there is another who heals... also, its just a fantastic show anyhow lol

Throw that lightsaber!
    zkvqsxzym7ap.png

I would absolutely agree... which is why I think DS should have plenty of status ailments to counter. Thats the overall theme now anyhow. LS prioritizes buffs and rag doll abilities, while DS boasts DPS like no other.

Watch the Mandalorian... there is another who heals... also, its just a fantastic show anyhow lol

Oh no I know Baby Yoda heals too. I’ve seen all the episodes. 10/10 show. But Yoda never portrayed that ability so the only hero we have on the LS that has done it is Rey. If they would change Dooku’s Expose Weakness to an AOE and remove health buffs, I think that would greatly increase the ability to counter all those buffs. Plus, hopefully BB-9E will be a buff and debuff character. That would be so useful.
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    711 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    @Boomerkills

Im hoping they almost become their own class. Not quite a Hero? And have special options on each map. They're droids... I hope their gameplay doesn't revolve around kills. There are deadly droids for that.
  • In my opinion, I like Yoda but I don't think anybody need a fourth ability. As a matter of fact, I don't mind remove Anakin Fourth ability but compensate for a buff on his baseline ability, especially his underpower Passionate Strike.
  • If he's going to get a 4th ability it should be something offensive, like a different style of dash. Enough of the boring team buff abilities
  • Why are you guys giving him so much ****? I mean I TOTALLY agree with everything he is saying

We should give every hero/villain a 4th ability it would make the game awesome

Yoda has been severely neglected, when, as the grandmaster, he should be a god

And I disagree with everyone else saying the DS would never win

If you ask, me the DS already has waaay better villains, I mean Darth Vader has the health of an AT ST, and I frequently see entire GA's won because Palps was slaughtering the whole team right out of spawn

and Yggdrasil brings up a good point in mentioning Dark Aura and Yoda's frequency to heal

And i think two or three heroes/villains on each side should have team buff abilities

Except the DS team buff abilities should weaken or do dmg to the other team while the LS strengthen and heal their team

• General_Hello_There
    167 posts Member
    edited February 5
    [/quote] Taking damage to charge an ability seems fitting for one like Retribution because Anakin releases his anger and chokes his enemies. For Yoda, it would most likely be something that has to deal with the total health he has buffed and once he’s buffed let’s say 3000 health across the entire team in total, his ability would be ready. But with Finn’s Big Deal, you constantly regen health like you suggest, get a health buff, have all your abilities on faster cooldown, and take a huge damage reduction. Couple that with Yoda in GA, and DS would never win.
    What I would prefer to see, because they neutered his offense, is something that largely increases his offense. Faster swings, more stamina, larger regen threshold to 500 (doubling his current threshold), and instant ability cooldown with a shorter cooldown after it’s been used. Yoda is already strong in defense and support but heavily lacks in offense since they neutered him. An ultimate ability like that would make it extremely hard to win as DS in large modes [/quote]

I thought you couldn't stack Presence with Big Deal(or vice versa) anymore, but that might not be the point you're trying to make. I do like your take on the ability, though the name Respite wouldn't really fit how it works. I think Harmony would best suit the effects, signifying that Yoda has briefly become one with the Force.
    Post edited by General_Hello_There on

Taking damage to charge an ability seems fitting for one like Retribution because Anakin releases his anger and chokes his enemies. For Yoda, it would most likely be something that has to deal with the total health he has buffed and once he’s buffed let’s say 3000 health across the entire team in total, his ability would be ready. But with Finn’s Big Deal, you constantly regen health like you suggest, get a health buff, have all your abilities on faster cooldown, and take a huge damage reduction. Couple that with Yoda in GA, and DS would never win.
    What I would prefer to see, because they neutered his offense, is something that largely increases his offense. Faster swings, more stamina, larger regen threshold to 500 (doubling his current threshold), and instant ability cooldown with a shorter cooldown after it’s been used. Yoda is already strong in defense and support but heavily lacks in offense since they neutered him. An ultimate ability like that would make it extremely hard to win as DS in large modes

I thought you couldn't stack Presence with Big Deal(or vice versa) anymore, but that might not be the point you're trying to make. I do like you're take on the ability, though the name Respite wouldn't really fight how it works. I think Harmony would best suit the effects, signifying that Yoda has briefly become as one with the Force.[/quote]

Oooh I like harmony. Reason I chose Respite is because it’s a rest or relief from something stressful or unpleasant, such as getting $&@#%!-ed by the other team! Lol

My original inspiration, and reason I thought it should be dmg taken to charge the ability, was ep.3 during the execution of order 66. Yoda felt what? His peeps getting got. So... allies taking dmg would motivate Yoda to provide a respite from enemy attacks.

However, I think healing the team would be a better charge and more fitting.

Also, I would rather have Respite as well as other buffs, such as a third dodge, and certain strikes in his combo hitting twice (he’s flipping like a pancake at ihop) to balance his slow speed and lack of DPS. But that’s literally a different thread.
  • JMaster
    2535 posts Member
    Thoughts and opinions ahead.
    So first off... I like the idea of 4th abilties for Heroes. Since they don't have as many Star Cards as Troopers, you don't have as many options to choose from and you can't change your abilities/main weapon at all. There's less you can do and they could/can get more repetitive to play as a result, so I'm okay with it from a gameplay perspective. In addition, since Heroes are higher tiered units that cost battlepoints, I think it's okay for them to have something more to make them a bit more special. I even came with some ideas myself a while back. Granted, I'd also love for other units, vehicles, and even base infantry to get more uses for that Triangle/X/2 Key. One idea is for it to be a slot for one-time-use abilies/weapons/tools that are either found randomly across the battlefront or that are bought with battlepoints, but I digress.
    Your Yoda suggestion is intriguing, I like the idea of more passive abilities that increase attributes of yourself & allies. Increased stamina is pretty standard, and Yoda's is just fine at base (12 base, with Lightsaber Mastering adding a whopping 1 swing!), so I don't mind him getting a bit more during an ability. I get the vibe that this acts as an Adrenaline Stim with a radius, and while I like that idea for teamplay, on it's own I feel like that might be a bit much for Yoda. Yeah, you can still be damaged, but really I only think Saber users can exploit that. Yoda's a notoriously hard target to hit/damage as a blaster wielder, since he's not only tiny, fast AND has a higher jump, but also has block that eats lasers. So, if this constantly regened up to a point, I'd be fine. Like, you could have some more interplay by having it heal up the heath given by Presence, that could be cool.
    I do have some other questions as well. Would this have a normal ability cooldown, or would it be a charge-up move like Anakin's Retribution, and if the latter, how would you suggest it charge up?
    I don't mean to denigrate your concept too much, just offer some questions and feedback. Honestly the best idea I had for a potential 4th Yoda ability was this move...
    6hsplcgkb3ku.gif
    ... so take that as you may.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • JMaster wrote: »
    So first off... I like the idea of 4th abilties for Heroes. Since they don't have as many Star Cards as Troopers, you don't have as many options to choose from and you can't change your abilities/main weapon at all. There's less you can do and they could/can get more repetitive to play as a result, so I'm okay with it from a gameplay perspective. In addition, since Heroes are higher tiered units that cost battlepoints, I think it's okay for them to have something more to make them a bit more special. I even came with some ideas myself a while back. Granted, I'd also love for other units, vehicles, and even base infantry to get more uses for that Triangle/X/2 Key. One idea is for it to be a slot for one-time-use abilies/weapons/tools that are either found randomly across the battlefront or that are bought with battlepoints, but I digress.
    Your Yoda suggestion is intriguing, I like the idea of more passive abilities that increase attributes of yourself & allies. Increased stamina is pretty standard, and Yoda's is just fine at base (12 base, with Lightsaber Mastering adding a whopping 1 swing!), so I don't mind him getting a bit more during an ability. I get the vibe that this acts as an Adrenaline Stim with a radius, and while I like that idea for teamplay, on it's own I feel like that might be a bit much for Yoda. Yeah, you can still be damaged, but really I only think Saber users can exploit that. Yoda's a notoriously hard target to hit/damage as a blaster wielder, since he's not only tiny, fast AND has a higher jump, but also has block that eats lasers. So, if this constantly regened up to a point, I'd be fine. Like, you could have some more interplay by having it heal up the heath given by Presence, that could be cool.
    I do have some other questions as well. Would this have a normal ability cooldown, or would it be a charge-up move like Anakin's Retribution, and if the latter, how would you suggest it charge up?
    I don't mean to denigrate your concept too much, just offer some questions and feedback. Honestly the best idea I had for a potential 4th Yoda ability was this move...
    6hsplcgkb3ku.gif

Oh please, I’m always game for discussion. Ideally I would like heroes to have star card to alter some of their abilities.

I would even be happy if all heroes needed to unlock a ultra rare star card that grants their fourth ability. And I’ve posted about this concept even with regular classes.

Respite could be a star card that changes Presence. Throw Tackle could be a star card that replaces his regular dash with the one you showed! Imo the game should have always had hero star cards that offered more abilities. But since it doesn’t...

I think all Heroes fourth abilities should have to charge up. Most people complain about heroes getting too op as a result, but let’s be honest... Anakin maaaybe gets 2 Retribution’s in a match but lots of times, you can complete a match without him ever getting it charged up once.

About shooting Yoda. It’s always hard to shoot down any hero, first off. Unless you’re lucky, way outnumber them, or flank, a hero can almost always at least escape. Yoda isn’t as op as people think... i would prefer to deflect blaster fire in a lot of situations. Yoda is forced to approach for a take down, unless he has his push available. Even then, Unleash is so slow, you can lose more health than you can regen by the time you can block again. And if you don’t want to get pushed... stop shooting. His default push range is useless unless you’re right in front of him, minding his star card to extend by 20-some%.

To confirm, you are correct. I’m not suggesting Respite should restore health beyond a Heroes regular regen, only that it immediately trigger default health regen and it remain active for the duration of the ability, in addition to the stamina buff. Nothing game breaking at all, and honestly, doesn’t help you much if you’re down to <200 health. Only keeps you alive if you can manage to not get hit. It’s true beauty is in its versatility:

Countering dookus Health debuff (since I’m assuming it removes buffed hp, not that it prevents you from health regen? Unless I’m mistaken?).

Countering Acid or Dioxys when trying to capture an objective. It wouldn’t heal you at that point, but it would prevent your health from depleting any further.

Countering Dark Auras dps, though it’s brief, it’s usually the last bit needed to finish a hero off.

Snowball effect i.e. only having 300hp, but Respite is active, so with every elimination, you will immediately begin recovering the newly recovered regen gap, as opposed to waiting x seconds. It would definitely make it easier for Yoda to heal himself, but only if he’s in the heat of things taking enemies out left and right.
  • I Agree.

Yoda definetly needs more care, and as a grand master of the jedi order he definetly needs a fourth ability, and also reverseing hes lightsaber damage nerf. Light sabers meant to be strong in the SW universe you know dice? :D
  • JMaster
    2535 posts Member
    JMaster wrote: »
    6hsplcgkb3ku.gif

Oh please, I’m always game for discussion. Ideally I would like heroes to have star card to alter some of their abilities.

I would even be happy if all heroes needed to unlock a ultra rare star card that grants their fourth ability. And I’ve posted about this concept even with regular classes.

Respite could be a star card that changes Presence. Throw Tackle could be a star card that replaces his regular dash with the one you showed! Imo the game should have always had hero star cards that offered more abilities. But since it doesn’t...

I think all Heroes fourth abilities should have to charge up. Most people complain about heroes getting too op as a result, but let’s be honest... Anakin maaaybe gets 2 Retribution’s in a match but lots of times, you can complete a match without him ever getting it charged up once.

About shooting Yoda. It’s always hard to shoot down any hero, first off. Unless you’re lucky, way outnumber them, or flank, a hero can almost always at least escape. Yoda isn’t as op as people think... i would prefer to deflect blaster fire in a lot of situations. Yoda is forced to approach for a take down, unless he has his push available. Even then, Unleash is so slow, you can lose more health than you can regen by the time you can block again. And if you don’t want to get pushed... stop shooting. His default push range is useless unless you’re right in front of him, minding his star card to extend by 20-some%.

To confirm, you are correct. I’m not suggesting Respite should restore health beyond a Heroes regular regen, only that it immediately trigger default health regen and it remain active for the duration of the ability, in addition to the stamina buff. Nothing game breaking at all, and honestly, doesn’t help you much if you’re down to <200 health. Only keeps you alive if you can manage to not get hit. It’s true beauty is in its versatility:

Countering dookus Health debuff (since I’m assuming it removes buffed hp, not that it prevents you from health regen? Unless I’m mistaken?).

Countering Acid or Dioxys when trying to capture an objective. It wouldn’t heal you at that point, but it would prevent your health from depleting any further.

Countering Dark Auras dps, though it’s brief, it’s usually the last bit needed to finish a hero off.

Snowball effect i.e. only having 300hp, but Respite is active, so with every elimination, you will immediately begin recovering the newly recovered regen gap, as opposed to waiting x seconds. It would definitely make it easier for Yoda to heal himself, but only if he’s in the heat of things taking enemies out left and right.
    Thanks for the reply!
    I hear that DICE can't even add Star Cards, so I don't know how that works. It's the reason this HOK thing has taken so long, they couldn't give everyone an extra Star Card, so make of that what you will...
    Depending on what the ability is, I'd be fine with 4th Hero abilities just having normal cooldowns. Anakin (and Vader, for my suggestion...) would be the only ones with charge-up ones to be unique, but many I bet could be on normal cooldowns, or even be toggles for different gameplay changes/weapons. As long as they aren't all Retribution-tier I'm fine with it.
    I feel it's necessary to mention that Force user dodges are WAY better and faster than blaster hero/infantry dodges, and they recharge faster than base infantry ones, so that's something to keep in mind.
    I definitely like the idea of this ability countering those effects, but I'd also like to see more abilities on the Dark Side that are team-oriented. They could use some team buffs for GA/CS.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • You’re addressing HvV more than the impact it would have in large modes. In HvV, it might be useful. But it would be insanely broken in GA. I realize it’s an idea and I disagree that all heroes need 4th ability, because that makes Anakin unique, if other heroes were to have a 4th ability, I’d rather it not be broken.

I thought you couldn't stack Presence with Big Deal(or vice versa) anymore, but that might not be the point you're trying to make. I do like you're take on the ability, though the name Respite wouldn't really fight how it works. I think Harmony would best suit the effects, signifying that Yoda has briefly become as one with the Force.
  • You’re addressing HvV more than the impact it would have in large modes. In HvV, it might be useful. But it would be insanely broken in GA. I realize it’s an idea and I disagree that all heroes need 4th ability, because that makes Anakin unique, if other heroes were to have a 4th ability, I’d rather it not be broken.

I thought you couldn't stack Presence with Big Deal(or vice versa) anymore, but that might not be the point you're trying to make. I do like you're take on the ability, though the name Respite wouldn't really fight how it works. I think Harmony would best suit the effects, signifying that Yoda has briefly become as one with the Force.

Respite. Harmony. Lightsaber Tackle... this is starting to sound like Master Starcards, that alter default abilities for heroes. They unlock at lvl 50, and can be upgraded at lvls 75, and 100. they can only be upgraded three times and are bronze, then silver, then gold.

Respite: changes presence to an officer type regen AOE buff, wtih stamina reduction, as described by the OP

Harmony: changes his push to a friendly pull. allies in range will be yanked out of danger, and safely placed behind Yoda. His block no longer charges, like it would for unleash. However, he can block while using Harmony(seen in clone wars, saving Anakin from falling off the edge, while deflecting lightning from sidious).

Lightsaber Tackle: replaces dash with a short range lightsaber throw that impales the target, followed by a leap to yank it out. Can be chained together, seen by Yoda staying atop the current target to throw his saber at the next one, or used as needed. Yoda would then jump down after execution, or be allowed to swing his lightsaber to finish the job while still mounted on the target.
  • Axone
    506 posts Member
    They need to fix Yoda bug and buff him a little bit. No more having 4th ability; even if it mean remove Anakin Retribution ability but buff his baseline ability such as Passionate Strike to compensate for removing 4th ability.
  • Axone wrote: »
    They need to fix Yoda bug and buff him a little bit. No more having 4th ability; even if it mean remove Anakin Retribution ability but buff his baseline ability such as Passionate Strike to compensate for removing 4th ability.

I doubt they would remove a feature they just introduced to be unique and epic. If anything, they should consider adding more. The game is unbalanced as is, in part because we are juggling too few abilities. Its impossible to find a happy medium.

Anakin has had his time. It was special for a while, but now they need to capitalize on the excitement of new content, and showcase everyones favorite heroes. Its an incredible game dynamic, and honestly sorely needed since this game is borderline no longer casual. Only one hero having a special ability is breaking the balance....
  • I don't think Yoda needs a 4th ability, he just needs ability touch ups to Unleash and Presence; he'll never get a 3rd dodge like some people want since he has the 700 HP + dash attack ability x2 (or x3 with card) combo like Maul. If you actually compare the two, Yoda is actually like the more defensive LS version of Maul.

-Unleash has no damage resist on cast, in that window of casting I've seen Yoda HP bars suddenly go pop; make it so when it's cast it wipes out incoming blaster shots and explosives like officer defuser (gunna say no to stopping things like rockets, too strong), plays into his defensive and team assisting playstyle.

-Let Unleash hang onto it's boosted range + damage longer, it drains really quickly to where you can't really pocket the boost for something else.

-Big maybe, but you could probably just delete Jedi Mentor card and roll it's damage resist into Presence's 8 second window and shuts off when the HP decay starts, could probably even bump it from 8% to 10%.

I don't consider any changes and their impact on HvV as it'll always be an unbalanced joke mode that should never be used as a balancing consideration.
  • Yoda is super fun if you know how to use him, to the people think Yoda is bad..... tuh launch players remember how horrible he was speed wise, jump, saber damage, barely was a Jedi.
    jq0njy0nr4fo.gif
    Xbox one GT: OwnedBabyKobe24
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    711 posts Member
    edited January 9
    Mrcjames31 wrote: »
    Yoda is super fun if you know how to use him, to the people think Yoda is bad..... tuh launch players remember how horrible he was speed wise, jump, saber damage, barely was a Jedi.

vdgljkdco9k6.gif

Lortttttttt how things have improved since then lmao

Not being able to block lightsabers was... *begins tearing up* so hard.... these new kids don’t know how good they got it...

But here I am asking for more :D
    Post edited by Scion_of_Yggdrasil on
  • Neonred_90 wrote: »
    I don't think Yoda needs a 4th ability, he just needs ability touch ups to Unleash and Presence; he'll never get a 3rd dodge like some people want since he has the 700 HP + dash attack ability x2 (or x3 with card) combo like Maul. If you actually compare the two, Yoda is actually like the more defensive LS version of Maul.

-Unleash has no damage resist on cast, in that window of casting I've seen Yoda HP bars suddenly go pop; make it so when it's cast it wipes out incoming blaster shots and explosives like officer defuser (gunna say no to stopping things like rockets, too strong), plays into his defensive and team assisting playstyle.

-Let Unleash hang onto it's boosted range + damage longer, it drains really quickly to where you can't really pocket the boost for something else.

-Big maybe, but you could probably just delete Jedi Mentor card and roll it's damage resist into Presence's 8 second window and shuts off when the HP decay starts, could probably even bump it from 8% to 10%.

I don't consider any changes and their impact on HvV as it'll always be an unbalanced joke mode that should never be used as a balancing consideration.

I think most of his cards need reworking. Presence is kinda a joke now... mainly in HvV. It’s still very worth it, just risky, to give up other cards to heal in trooper modes imo

Definitely agree with fixing his vulnerability while using unleash. Before the nerf it was kinda needed though as it’s downside to being so deadly. Now though... it’s brutal, especially when I have to chase and go finish them all off since the push didn’t do the job.
  • Alternative: Smite! Yoda beckons thunder and lightning, and strikes his foes down from the sky.
    vpubfbo6nqxw.png
  • Alternative: Smite! Yoda beckons thunder and lightning, and strikes his foes down from the sky.
    vpubfbo6nqxw.png

That be pretty sick as a 4th ability for Yoda, ngl. Would the range be like Presence, but only in front of Yoda?
  • Love it +1
    vpubfbo6nqxw.png

That be pretty sick as a 4th ability for Yoda, ngl. Would the range be like Presence, but only in front of Yoda?

I would like that, but since he already has a frontal force ability, maybe it should be an AOE, so multiple strikes of lightning around Yoda, and it also pushes enemies away, like Luke's Repulse.

Orrrr what if it charges like Obiwans push? The longer you hold, the farther out it reaches and the more lightning strikes come down? But lightning would actively be coming down a its charged, and stops when released or when it reaches its maximum (as opposed to charging the reach and then having all the lightning strike once its released or at maximum).
  • Love it +1

Thank you, thank you. Welcome back. lol

Side note: very mad you have a broth sipping child as your avatar lmao. I was going to use that myself until I saw you had it :D
  • Love it +1

Side note: very mad you have a broth sipping child as your avatar lmao. I was going to use that myself until I saw you had it :D

Yours is very nice though Lmao
  • Love it +1

Glad you approve of Yoda Windu. lol Too bad PS4 can't get the dark emperor mod... (black robes, grey skin, and a red lightsaber, a little mini sidious).
  • Love it +1

Glad you approve of Yoda Windu. lol Too bad PS4 can't get the dark emperor mod... (black robes, grey skin, and a red lightsaber, a little mini sidious).

We need mods for consoles
  • Love it +1

We need mods for consoles

A friend was saying the team recently took on a popular modder, so maybe that means we can expect some more skins? New abilities? It could all be here-say as well. I'm not sure what article he read or what not.

I honestly prefer PC gaming because of modding lol. Still prefer sims3 over sims4. I was going to switch to PC BF2 but last I checked the Dark Emperor Yoda mod is no longer compatible... dark days man...
  • It would work well in HvV and GA/CS.

HvV Gameplay:

GA/CS Gameplay:
    • Doesn't make anyone invincible, but pretty close if combined with Presence. You just have to make sure you land that perfect cooldown when you overheat your blaster, and aim for the head!

While I agree that all heroes should have a "balance" 4th ability that builds up, I personally think that without all character having one, this ability would make Yoda too strong of a support hero. The already severely nerfed his Presence ability... I like the idea/direction though! I would rather them fix bugs with Yoda (presence), make some quality of life changes (slight attack animation buff/presence use in-air without animation upon landing), buff a couple of star cards and un-nerf his dash attack.

If I were to do a 4th ability for Yoda, (Considering everyone has one) it would be called "Exile". Exile requires Yoda to experience the deaths of half the heroes on his team. Example in HvV half would be 2 deaths. In HS it only requires 1 death. In GA/CS the number would be set to half of the maximum heroes possible in the given mode.

When Yoda activates Exile he is removed from enemy "hero" radar and has 90 extra health regen until death. It doesn't break him in GA/CS and it allows him to be more elusive and last longer in HvV.
  • yoda901 wrote: »
    It would work well in HvV and GA/CS.

HvV Gameplay:

GA/CS Gameplay:

While I agree that all heroes should have a "balance" 4th ability that builds up, I personally think that without all character having one, this ability would make Yoda too strong of a support hero. The already severely nerfed his Presence ability... I like the idea/direction though! I would rather them fix bugs with Yoda (presence), make some quality of life changes (slight attack animation buff/presence use in-air without animation upon landing), buff a couple of star cards and un-nerf his dash attack.

If I were to do a 4th ability for Yoda, (Considering everyone has one) it would be called "Exile". Exile requires Yoda to experience the deaths of half the heroes on his team. Example in HvV half would be 2 deaths. In HS it only requires 1 death. In GA/CS the number would be set to half of the maximum heroes possible in the given mode.

When Yoda activates Exile he is removed from enemy "hero" radar and has 90 extra health regen until death. It doesn't break him in GA/CS and it allows him to be more elusive and last longer in HvV.

Hmmm, I love hearing everyone elses take on 4th abilities. Of course, this concept is assuming everyone would in turn get their ultimate ability as well. A variety of abilities would be ideal, some more powerful that need charged, and maybe some less overwhelming abilities that have a regular cooldown.

I like the death count concept, order 66 is what inspired Respite for me, and I feel like its an iconic attribute of Yoda's, his empathy and pacifism. I hate heroes showing up on the mini map, so that would definitely be a useful passive ability.
  • Tangent ahead! Skip to the bold if you want the goods. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Yoda has only ever been nerfed. The only "buff" he has received is being able to block lightsabers, which hardly counts as a buff (should have always been that way).

As the Grandmaster, he should be more powerful than even Anakin (i.e. a conversation between Yoda and the Emperor, acknowledging that Anakin wiiiill become stronger than both of them, but Anakin as is...is NOT stronger). That is neither here nor there... That being said, why not make Yoda the ultimate support/healer? Since his DPS has been harshly nerfed, I would rather run around keeping everyone alive than killing everyone!

What it does: Stamina costs are reduced by X%, and health regeneration begins immediately and continuously regenerates for Yoda and all nearby allies for the duration of Respite.
    • Health regeneration delay returns when you leave Respite's radius or Respite expires
    • Stamina costs return to normal when you leave Respite's radius or Respite expires

Ability Balancing: Respite isn't anything too crazy, since Officer's can produce a similar effect. It compliments Yoda's Presence, which can save someone immediately since it grants a large amount of health at once. Respite lacks that threshold, so enemies can still finish you off if you are already low on health, or if they steadily do damage. This will force Yoda and allies to actively make Respite effective, instead of it being an overpowered freebie. This is needed, since if used in conjunction with Presence, would make you almost invincible until the abilities cool down.

Animation/Graphics: Yoda grunts and puts a hand on his heart (as he feels his allies pain from taking damage), then throws his hands out (similar to Presence) as he begins to levitate. Once he is off the ground, the AOE is established, and a greenish energy wave is released from Yoda's chest. This will spread to the edge of the AOE so allies can see if they are in, or need to enter, his radius. Yoda lands as the energy wave dissipates, and there is a subtle green sparkle in the AOE. Yoda can begin actions as soon as his feet touches the floor. It is a slightly longer animation compared to Presence, and rightfully so.
    Can the grunt be .Yoda’s death sound from LEGO Star Wars?
    A very wise Jedi once said, "Don't touch anything."

Stay home and play Battlefront.
  • ROMG4
    4699 posts Member
    But how to make the fourth ability distinct from the rest of his abilities?
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/152598/the-oom-9-vs-jar-jar-season

Episode 9's Ending
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025735/uploads/editor/15/zs312vl0xftg.jpeg
  • ROMG4 wrote: »
    But how to make the fourth ability distinct from the rest of his abilities?

I was purposely trying to keep it similar to his existing ones. The way I see it, the easier it is to actually add to the game, the more likely we might actually get some of the things we are asking for. Revamping or buffing some of the existing mechanics in the game should be easy enough, right?

But I agree. I would like to see Yoda more offensive, but with the recent nerfs (and how he was itroduced at launch) it feels like he is meant to stay as a group support, vs a power house like other heroes or villains.

What would you like to see? We've got a few floating around already, the more the merrier!
  • Tangent ahead! Skip to the bold if you want the goods. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Yoda has only ever been nerfed. The only "buff" he has received is being able to block lightsabers, which hardly counts as a buff (should have always been that way).

Can the grunt be .Yoda’s death sound from LEGO Star Wars?

lolol please no :D loved that game though
    vpubfbo6nqxw.png

How'd you get this screenshot btw. looks incredible.