criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

Does anyone find it odd that there are no TV shows/Movies about universe spanning civilizations?

There are a bunch of movies, tv shows, and literature about civilizations that are spread out amongst a certain galaxy, but rarely any the are across the universe.

Why does it usually stop at a single galaxy?

Could it be that humanity's "real world" influence and intelligence simply isn't up to the task yet of even the general public imagining such a reality? Meaning that our current ability to influence basically nothing beyond our own planet has as much a limiting effect on our imaginations as a whole that even our current intelligence level does. For example, 1000 years ago no one would of ever imagined what things would be like today. I mean maybe a rare few guessed close, but who knows. The general public however would have no idea and wouldn't of guessed anything close to the reality of what actually happened. Yet obviously there would of been people around who had high levels of intelligence, yet they were simply limited by that of their place in time and the world presented to them. It would be like asking one of them to predict exactly what scientific breakthrough would come down 6 breakthroughs down the line from the original one. It's almost impossible.

The only books that I've read that ever came close to something about the future are "the culture" books. Yet even they fall short I think. The humanoids haven't advanced far enough for what one would expect for a species that is described in the books to hold almost complete control of the Milky way. Basically all they have done to augment themselves is increased life span to 400 years and greatly enhanced sexual facilities in their body. Beyond that they have done nothing, save for the suits they have developed for themselves which can make them basically invulnerable. Yes that does seem amazing to us at this point, but for a galactic civilization with a population in the trillions, and super-intelligent A.I. that exceed their intelligence by orders of magnitude in the millions, wouldn't you expect more from them? Maybe lifespans that are endless and instead of a suit, their bodies actually are indestructible and extremely strong. Basically I'd expect them to all be like Dr Manhattan at that point.

You see, even in that example, they most likely fall short of what reality will be. On top of that, it's still only about this galaxy and not other ones. It just feels like even our most imaginative books and media fall short of what humanity or any other civilization would be like in reality if they dominated a galaxy. Either that, or they know the general public find it difficult to imagine something so far beyond what we are now, and therefore would find it unrelatable. I mean I doubt many people would relate to a movie about a race that spans the universe and are all beings like Dr Manhattan haha. Yet what else could the future be similar to if not immortality and complete control? What else are we working towards here? Other than being happy, the main goal of life is to defeat death. Yet the species as a whole find is difficult to imagine ourselves basically as gods.

Maybe at the core of things it's a lack of self belief and doubt?

Once again, I feel some people can/do/have imagined a kind of future like this. Just maybe not enough for any writers or producers to see a profit in it haha.

So what do you guys think? Why does entertainment seem to fall short of the probable reality of the future.

Replies

  • Also things like Halo. Which are so amazing and great to play, fall so far short of what the future will be like. Master chief is the man, but let's be real. Warfare in the future will be done by machines or artificially enhanced humans where decisions within engagements will be SO much faster than than anything the chief has ever done.

    Even in the culture book "excession", the A.I. warships have battles that, although they span many pages in the book, only last less than 1 second because the machine are doing things so quickly and having to try and out think one another to win as fast as they can. So something like the fights in halo or star trek or star wars would most likely never be a reality if a civilization were galaxy spanning. I mean we haven't even made it off Earth basically and we're on the brink of A.I.. So give it a few thousand years, you'd have to say things would be more similar to the culture than the other shows/game I mentioned.
  • google "fermi paradox"
  • google "fermi paradox"

    That theory isn't sound. Never has been. It's like imagine if Columbus landed in America and was there for a day and had no yet seen signs of humans, then said there is a high probability of humans being there because they were basically everywhere else they knew of. Then be sends back word to England that he has not found evidence of them yet so it's some kind of paradox. He just simply hadn't explored enough yet and also he was not in the right place at the right time for him to of seen one within a day.

    Fermi paradox is not a paradox. It's just a lack of patience.

    Also it doesn't have much to do with my question haha.
  • you don't understand the paradox, which is time based

    fermi was a lot smarter than you, and the most likely resolution of the paradox is that there's no one out there
  • you don't understand the paradox, which is time based

    fermi was a lot smarter than you, and the most likely resolution of the paradox is that there's no one out there

    No. You don't understand a* paradox. You perhaps understand the simple probability math behind this one and the solution it presents within its own parameters. Yet it's very premise is flawed and does not constitute a paradox.

    He was a lot smarter than me? Haha you don't know me. Don't make the mistake of thinking someone in the scientific community is correct simply because they work within it and have achieved a Nobel prize. Which can be assumed you have done because you've attempted to use your summation of his intellect as a weapon of condescension against me to try and harden your argument. It's unwise to not question every single thing on it's merit alone. This particular subject for him was like random notes jotted down and not a well thought out theory.

    Of course the most likely resolution to this so called paradox is what we see in the world around us... No aliens. You know why? It doesn't factor in the unknown. Because it can't. It has no answer for technology beyond that of our own current progress and therefore our own imaginative limitations that come with that. That's no fault of the theory, but rather a consequence of the current state of the human condition. That's where Fermi went wrong. He should never of even attempted a statistical analysis of the probability of alien life existing, because he does not know HOW it would exist if it does.

    One example is that for all he knows, they used to exist in our dimensions, but now moved on to other ones for some reason and no longer care for these ones. Extra-dimensional theories were only just taking flight right before he died. So perhaps he didn't even have much faith in these theories yet, which might lead to him not even considering it a possibility that life exists beyond our dimensions.

    Another example is that maybe they don't want to reach out to us. We might just be like ants to them and they wouldn't care, or they they hold the same approach to wild life that many of us do, which is usually just to let things take their course and let them do what they do and don't interfere with them. There are even laws we have in place for interfering in how wildlife interacts with things or one another. So maybe aliens have the same approach. You have to ask yourself how this would be factored into the equation? It can't be. We cannot know the probability of a galaxy spanning civilization either choosing to interact with us or to observe us. The only reference point of that we have is ourselves and our own interactions with species on our planet and whether or not we chose to interact or observe them. Even if the probability of a human interacting with any given animal could be calculated and then used as a reference point, it's still completely redundant in the context of this discussion because it then assumes the aliens have a human-like mindset. Which we obviously cannot know.

    Like I said, it was a waste of his time to attempt to calculate the odds of such a thing. He would of been better off to assume patience and remember how small modern human civilization's reach was/is into the cosmos.
  • sorry, mate, you're never gonna have sex with an alien, they aren't out there, you'll have to settle for a bunch of shoddily made movies
  • also, to answer your original question, Dune was universe-spanning, you must not read very much sci-fi
  • also, to answer your original question, Dune was universe-spanning, you must not read very much sci-fi

    I've never read dune. I saw a bit of the movie and thought it was bad. Maybe the books are better. I did say in the OP that media "rarely" has universe spanning civilizations, not that it doesn't.

    Although you've mentioned something that does span the universe, you still haven't answered the question...twice now. Anyway, forget it. Something tells me you aren't going to have a very well thought out answer to it haha.
  • Alex64
    8152 posts Member
    Try to interact with a microorganism, you can't right? It's because you are a superior entity for them, so what if there's a superior entity out there and he knows everything about us but he just doesn't care and we will never know about this entity.
    PIRIKA PIRIRARA!
  • Alex64 wrote: »
    Try to interact with a microorganism, you can't right? It's because you are a superior entity for them, so what if there's a superior entity out there and he knows everything about us but he just doesn't care and we will never know about this entity.

    Darth Jar Jar exists
  • ExtractionFan69
    484 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    btw we're superior to a lot of lesser organisms, which ones have we chosen never to interact with or study? it's a defining trait of a superior life form that it seeks to understand inferior ones...at any rate a life form that didn't possess this curiosity would never get off the ground, figuratively and literally, so if it's out there it's dumber than we are
  • also, to answer your original question, Dune was universe-spanning, you must not read very much sci-fi

    I've never read dune. I saw a bit of the movie and thought it was bad. Maybe the books are better. I did say in the OP that media "rarely" has universe spanning civilizations, not that it doesn't.

    Although you've mentioned something that does span the universe, you still haven't answered the question...twice now. Anyway, forget it. Something tells me you aren't going to have a very well thought out answer to it haha.

    it's a silly question and you're not well read enough about major sci fi works to assess what is rare in the genre
  • Alex64
    8152 posts Member
    It's an analogy
    PIRIKA PIRIRARA!
  • Alex64 wrote: »
    Try to interact with a microorganism, you can't right? It's because you are a superior entity for them, so what if there's a superior entity out there and he knows everything about us but he just doesn't care and we will never know about this entity.

    Lights have been a continuous reoccurring thing throughout superstitious history, which have been associated with magic, spirits, and aliens. (Also energy.) It could be that occasionally contact is attempted to be made towards some individuals but doesn't end successfully. ((How much effort is required to interact with a small species that you could easily, accidentally, kill by attempting to make contact. Not only the one you're aiming for, but also their ecosystem. Especially, if you require subzero temperatures to manifest the one wavelength that species is able to observe. Morals would likely be red tape as well. After all that; the one receiving the call (so to speak) would have to be in a state to acknowledge the interaction for what it is. ))
    If everything boils down to waves (lengths) and what types of waves they are... We don't have a full understanding of how to interpret attempted interactions?
    Wknuto!
  • also, to answer your original question, Dune was universe-spanning, you must not read very much sci-fi

    I've never read dune. I saw a bit of the movie and thought it was bad. Maybe the books are better. I did say in the OP that media "rarely" has universe spanning civilizations, not that it doesn't.

    Although you've mentioned something that does span the universe, you still haven't answered the question...twice now. Anyway, forget it. Something tells me you aren't going to have a very well thought out answer to it haha.

    it's a silly question and you're not well read enough about major sci fi works to assess what is rare in the genre

    Jesus dude. What's wrong with you? Why not just initially give your answer about your opinion instead of post about firstly a theory that has nothing to do with the question and then mention one book and claim you're an aficionado on the subject and try and belittle me.

    If dune is the most well known material featuring universal civilizations, then it's lack of popularity in the greater community suggests my question is valid considering it clearly has not touched the general public to anywhere near the extent of sci-fi featuring a smaller scale myriad of species and/or civilization/s has done.

    So far we've got dune as the only universe spanning material. Yet my question is silly? Haha. Like I said, even if there are others, their lack of popularity (including dune movie) validates my question about why is it that entertainment media struggles to present what would be a more likely picture of the future to the general public in a successful way to the point of it becoming mainstream popular. Hence they "fall short" of success like I originally said. My OP was about a lot more than just the title. You can't fit much into a title. Maybe you didn't read it all.

    You couldn't stick on topic with exactly what my officer thread OP was about and you can't do it on this one either. Just more attempts at undermining. Why would you even bother.
  • To contribute to the original thread...
    I think Mass Effect implies there is a species that has control throughout the Universe, spanning across different Galaxies. c:
    Wknuto!
  • Spiito wrote: »
    Alex64 wrote: »
    Try to interact with a microorganism, you can't right? It's because you are a superior entity for them, so what if there's a superior entity out there and he knows everything about us but he just doesn't care and we will never know about this entity.

    Lights have been a continuous reoccurring thing throughout superstitious history, which have been associated with magic, spirits, and aliens. (Also energy.) It could be that occasionally contact is attempted to be made towards some individuals but doesn't end successfully. ((How much effort is required to interact with a small species that you could easily, accidentally, kill by attempting to make contact. Not only the one you're aiming for, but also their ecosystem. Especially, if you require subzero temperatures to manifest the one wavelength that species is able to observe. Morals would likely be red tape as well. After all that; the one receiving the call (so to speak) would have to be in a state to acknowledge the interaction for what it is. ))
    If everything boils down to waves (lengths) and what types of waves they are... We don't have a full understanding of how to interpret attempted interactions?
    Spiito wrote: »
    Alex64 wrote: »
    Try to interact with a microorganism, you can't right? It's because you are a superior entity for them, so what if there's a superior entity out there and he knows everything about us but he just doesn't care and we will never know about this entity.

    Lights have been a continuous reoccurring thing throughout superstitious history, which have been associated with magic, spirits, and aliens. (Also energy.) It could be that occasionally contact is attempted to be made towards some individuals but doesn't end successfully. ((How much effort is required to interact with a small species that you could easily, accidentally, kill by attempting to make contact. Not only the one you're aiming for, but also their ecosystem. Especially, if you require subzero temperatures to manifest the one wavelength that species is able to observe. Morals would likely be red tape as well. After all that; the one receiving the call (so to speak) would have to be in a state to acknowledge the interaction for what it is. ))
    If everything boils down to waves (lengths) and what types of waves they are... We don't have a full understanding of how to interpret attempted interactions?

    Yes that's a good point. For all we know extra-dimensional beings can "see" us and observe us, but might be experiencing difficulty in manifesting ways of which to produce a safe communication device for both them and us to interact through.

    Using a very bad and strange example here haha, but imagine if we were in the 1500s and there was a species of ape that lived in a part of the word and could only communicate through extremely high intensity gamma-rays. We wouldn't be able to interact with them without risk of harm until recently.

    Obviously that's not the best imaginative example. I just feel it's easier to comprehend for most than something akin to a safe cross-over communication from one verse in a possible multi-verse to another.
  • Spiito wrote: »
    To contribute to the original thread...
    I think Mass Effect implies there is a species that has control throughout the Universe, spanning across different Galaxies. c:

    I haven't played mass effect in a while. What species is that? The ones who built the mass effect gates?
  • Yes that's a good point. For all we know extra-dimensional beings can "see" us and observe us, but might be experiencing difficulty in manifesting ways of which to produce a safe communication device for both them and us to interact through.

    Using a very bad and strange example here haha, but imagine if we were in the 1500s and there was a species of ape that lived in a part of the word and could only communicate through extremely high intensity gamma-rays. We wouldn't be able to interact with them without risk of harm until recently.

    Obviously that's not the best imaginative example. I just feel it's easier to comprehend for most than something akin to a safe cross-over communication from one verse in a possible multi-verse to another.
    For all we know, our dimension is a place meant to be left at a certain point of development, and the lack of observable life is because they've moved onto the next stage, in a series of spherical related tests.

    Surely, it's not only the physical health that has to be taken into consideration, preservation of mental health may also be integral, to eager parties willing to demonstrate to another life form; that they too exist. Cultural shock can sometimes lead to unfortunate events in an individual's life. Just knowing that... How we conduct our societies may determine which ones are more susceptible to take newly presented information better, thus making them more suitable candidates to correspond with. If all our societies were to become the same and lose their identities, following one line of acceptability and understandings, we'd lessen our chances of fitting outsiders' criteria. Since there wouldn't be additional, optional, sources to pick from that could potentially align better with other standards.
    I haven't played mass effect in a while. What species is that? The ones who built the mass effect gates?
    Maybe now is the perfect time to revisit the Mass Effect materials to refresh your memory and your take on it all.
    Nothing like picking up old materials with a fresh perspective...
    The Leviathans (or their tech consisting of sentient, evil, robots, powered by the slaughter of millions) may have been in more than one galaxy. Mass Effect Andromeda seems to imply the Reapers' reach extended to transforming entire planets to grow specific life for harvesting. (Or perhaps they were setting up the premise for another ancient civilization that specifically creates life in order to observe developmental pathways of biology and ideas that stem from specific organisms. *shrug*)


    Wknuto!
  • lol Dune's lack of popularity

    give up when you're beaten, man
  • lol Dune's lack of popularity

    give up when you're beaten, man

    Are you seriously not reading what I write? It's not popular outside of people with an interest in sci-fi. It's not like star wars, star trek, alien, predator, and the list goes on, in the sense that it could be brought up in general conversation with just about anyone, and they would instantly know what you were talking about.

    All this hate from you just because I called out the officers haha. You're really attached to that class.
  • Spiito
    2096 posts Member
    lol Dune's lack of popularity

    give up when you're beaten, man

    I had to be informed about what Dune was ... And that was only because an American friend was obsessed with an actor playing a character in the newest version of it.
    Wknuto!
  • Alex64
    8152 posts Member
    Spiito wrote: »
    Alex64 wrote: »
    Try to interact with a microorganism, you can't right? It's because you are a superior entity for them, so what if there's a superior entity out there and he knows everything about us but he just doesn't care and we will never know about this entity.

    Lights have been a continuous reoccurring thing throughout superstitious history, which have been associated with magic, spirits, and aliens. (Also energy.) It could be that occasionally contact is attempted to be made towards some individuals but doesn't end successfully. ((How much effort is required to interact with a small species that you could easily, accidentally, kill by attempting to make contact. Not only the one you're aiming for, but also their ecosystem. Especially, if you require subzero temperatures to manifest the one wavelength that species is able to observe. Morals would likely be red tape as well. After all that; the one receiving the call (so to speak) would have to be in a state to acknowledge the interaction for what it is. ))
    If everything boils down to waves (lengths) and what types of waves they are... We don't have a full understanding of how to interpret attempted interactions?

    This is explored into the Lovecraft mythology and some games like Bloodborne, there are some entities called "ancient ones"
    PIRIKA PIRIRARA!
  • lol Dune's lack of popularity

    give up when you're beaten, man

    Are you seriously not reading what I write? It's not popular outside of people with an interest in sci-fi. It's not like star wars, star trek, alien, predator, and the list goes on, in the sense that it could be brought up in general conversation with just about anyone, and they would instantly know what you were talking about.

    All this hate from you just because I called out the officers haha. You're really attached to that class.

    lol man I'm just teasing you there's no hate...I don't even remember who was the one complaining about officers...calm down, take a stress pill and think things over
  • lol Dune's lack of popularity

    give up when you're beaten, man

    Are you seriously not reading what I write? It's not popular outside of people with an interest in sci-fi. It's not like star wars, star trek, alien, predator, and the list goes on, in the sense that it could be brought up in general conversation with just about anyone, and they would instantly know what you were talking about.

    All this hate from you just because I called out the officers haha. You're really attached to that class.

    lol man I'm just teasing you there's no hate...I don't even remember who was the one complaining about officers...calm down, take a stress pill and think things over

    Alright. I am calm though, you can't blame me for defending myself.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!