criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Game definitely needs a leaver penalty

I know that this has been debated and those that argue against it because of reasons. But out of about 10 matches, I see people quitting 9 out of 10 times. Worse, they quit after (possibly) getting killed one time too many. Instead of changing their tactics (there I go with the T word again) they simply quit. Leaving their teammates to fend for themselves. I've watched players quit just because they couldn't kill me and then, when they tried to run couldn't, so they just stopped and would stand there. And as soon as they were killed, they'd quit. One recent match a player was hiding constantly, then quit after they'd get found and (rightfully so) killed. It's become an epidemic. Match not going your way, quit, opponent too good for you, quit. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. So, as I and others have suggested in other posts, we really need a penalty for this type of behavior. Other games do it, quite successfully too, it doesn't hurt the game and most players rise to the occasion versus quitting. It's simple really. Player quits the match, player gets an X minute ban from online play. It can be either a 10, 20 or even 30 minute one too. Plenty to do with arcade and campaign while you're temp banned. Hopefully this will curb the quitters a bit.
And now, the inevitable messages from those against.

"I am one with the Force and the Force is with me. I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me, aaaand now I have a lightsaber!"

Replies

• If I keep spawning in front of the enemy that is behind our default spawn waiting to kill me before I can even react I will quit (often I don't like to spawn in on teammates much because I'm usually killed before I can get my bearings). If a hero has more eliminations than our entire team and it is clear they alone can defeat our entire team at will, I will quit. If I have to leave at that moment and take the kids someplace in RL, I will quit. Also, if I have to take a mondo duke and I risk what should only be done in diapers, well I quit. But honestly, until I swapped out our router recently bad internet connections were the main reason by far that I was getting booted from games. All I had to do was close the game, test the IC, then relaunch and I could start playing again but any kind of ban would have prevented me from playing and I would have just walked away and totally stopped playing which is just bad for their business.
  • It needs to be fixed first. Then, when there are no reasonable excuses to leave, then penalize
  • True, it happens a lot in Hero Showdown mode for me and my friends.

They get killed and often one of those two players just leave.

And then you have to wait like 2 or 3 minutes.
  • "And now, the inevitable messages from those against." I'm sorry, would you prefer that we all just smile, clap and say "Wonderful idea old chap.. Huzzah", or did you want a discussion? If you don't want differing opinions then posting on a forum is not the best place for you. lol

How do you differentiate between someone that rage quits and say,
    1. Someone that just decides to play a different mode.
    2. . Someone that gets asked to squad up with friends
    3. Someone who's game crashes.

People play for their enjoyment, not yours. If they're not having fun in a game for whatever reason, then they can quit. It is what it is..... Man up and move on.

This, or woman up and move on :neutral:

There is literally no rankings or stats, why does it even matter if you win or lose? You know what I say when down a person in HvV? More for me. A harder challenge that will only let me get more practice.
  • Penalty? No way. Priority number one should be to get matches balanced. I dont blame anyone, who is leaving match which is total steamroll. Actually i urge everyone to do it. Get out as soon as you notice that match is going to be huge steamroll. And of course there good be real life reasons. People have families, jobs and other hobbies. So quit when you want. Theres one type class of quitters i dont understand. In GA usually starts as an officer. Fast bp to get hero/villain. Streak starts. Then they get killed and they are on top of scoreboard.. And quit then.... Happens a lot. Of course could be other reasons but sooo many times it happens...
  • people quit HvV because the mode is trash, lots of people hated the target system and now they got what they wanted: team deathmatch where virtually every match is now 4v3 or worse at some point, and often through the entire match, rendering it boring and pointless

people don't quit when they're having fun, but DICE made it so it is rarely any fun (unless you like mindless stomps), so rather than blame players ask yourself why anyone should spend their leisure time not having fun...if the only reason you can think of is so that you can keep having fun, you're asking them to entertain you for free

for the record I don't quit but I find myself playing HvV less and for shorter periods because DICE has made it very hard to have fun playing it...this is not a problem in any other mode, and while part of the issue is that one player quitting throws balance way off, the main problem is the mode has been ruined by a company that doesn't seem to care much about bugs or playability
    Order of Strike maps leading up to Extraction:
    Kamino -> Mos Eisley -> Death Star II -> Kessel -> Jabba's
  • I've said this before, it absolutely ridiculous to ask that the small team with limited resources waste time on a punishment system for quitters. When there are bugs, balancing and matchmaking issues they could spend their time on, that will go alot farther making modes ike HvV a fun experience.
  • bfloo
    17723 posts Member
    Jedi_Kat wrote: »
    I've said this before, it absolutely ridiculous to ask that the small team with limited resources waste time on a punishment system for quitters. When there are bugs, balancing and matchmaking issues they could spend their time on, that will go alot farther making modes ike HvV a fun experience.

Just fixing matchmaking would cut out 75% of the quitters.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Well, for the bigger modes I am not sure if this would be really necessary... however, for the smaller modes such as HvV, Strike, TDM and especially Hero Showdown, some sort of penalty would be much appreciated.

Especially in Hero Showdown, which is a 2vs2 situation. If one of your enemies leaves then the game won't continue on until a new member has joined. This can take up HOURS in theory and is just a bad UX. So yeah, either replace the left player with a Hero AI or at least give the player who left a penalty. E.g. -1000 credits. For leaving again in the next 30 minutes -2000 credits.

Credits can be earned again and people can still play on. Nothing too hard but at least something
    Wanna read how Starfighters could be introduced to CS in a fair manner? Read-up on it here: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/153390/how-to-properly-introduce-starfighters-to-cs#latest

Want to support Starfighter content in general? Help us here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/evnc78/starfighters_reborn/
  • buff
    276 posts Member
    Daijooky wrote: »
    I know that this has been debated and those that argue against it because of reasons. But out of about 10 matches, I see people quitting 9 out of 10 times. Worse, they quit after (possibly) getting killed one time too many. Instead of changing their tactics (there I go with the T word again) they simply quit. Leaving their teammates to fend for themselves. I've watched players quit just because they couldn't kill me and then, when they tried to run couldn't, so they just stopped and would stand there. And as soon as they were killed, they'd quit. One recent match a player was hiding constantly, then quit after they'd get found and (rightfully so) killed. It's become an epidemic. Match not going your way, quit, opponent too good for you, quit. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. So, as I and others have suggested in other posts, we really need a penalty for this type of behavior. Other games do it, quite successfully too, it doesn't hurt the game and most players rise to the occasion versus quitting. It's simple really. Player quits the match, player gets an X minute ban from online play. It can be either a 10, 20 or even 30 minute one too. Plenty to do with arcade and campaign while you're temp banned. Hopefully this will curb the quitters a bit.

i agree, but before this can happen, matchmaking needs fixed. most people quit, because, they dont want to give free xp to the far superior team, most can only endure so many 4v1 deaths, and sweaty emoters before they decide , enough is enough, and i cant fault them for that, it is highly annoying. That said, i think there should be a lockout, xp penalty, something to keep players in the match, once something is done is to at least half way balance each side.

for instance, premade 4 players squads, should only be matched against...you guessed it, other 4 player premades, none available...3 player squad with a random..and so on

my.02
    ppxq6xz1oqaz.gif

Cant spell Windu, without win....
    Windu for BF2 2020
  • I was playing a space battle, and I died in under 10 seconds. It takes 7 seconds to load a new craft, so I was spending 50% of my time waiting. And another 40 seconds between rounds. Eventually I just quit. What's the point? I can't play at all. I knew a team of guys who memorized the spawn points of some other game and shut me out by killing me everytime I spawned, [Halo?] I quit that game, too. I never bought the system or the game.
  • I played a bout of hero space battle too and I fought a player called this noob owns you. That's rude. Or another player called Ha_kiled_u. That's rude. These guys I'm playing against are levels 26, 43, 33, way high, relative to my level of 4 or 5. Many of my cards aren't even unlocked. I kept shooting and shooting and they wouldn't die. I gave it a good shot, couple of tries and did some good damage, but I couldn't make an impact on the outcome, the result of the game. Why should I be punished?
  • Also, I unplugged, took a nap, then came back later and had a blast with people who were oevel 3 and level 15 and stuff. The beginners play less personally, they don't track you down and single you out. I felt the advanced players did.
  • When I found a group along the same bracketed skill level as me, I didn't want the game to reshuffle us, it was tons of fun.
  • "And now, the inevitable messages from those against." I'm sorry, would you prefer that we all just smile, clap and say "Wonderful idea old chap.. Huzzah", or did you want a discussion? If you don't want differing opinions then posting on a forum is not the best place for you. lol

How do you differentiate between someone that rage quits and say,
    1. Someone that just decides to play a different mode.
    2. . Someone that gets asked to squad up with friends
    3. Someone who's game crashes.

People play for their enjoyment, not yours. If they're not having fun in a game for whatever reason, then they can quit. It is what it is..... Man up and move on.

Indeed. Additionally, some of us sometimes enjoy having to face off against multiple opponents. Just yesterday I had a great time after all 3 of my teammates bailed at the beginning of a HvV, just as the match began, and I as Vader stood alone. They assumed the match was over and that they would just steam roll me, but how entertaining it was to prevail and slaughter the lot over and over. It would have been enjoyable even if I hadn’t, as it can grant a opportunity to train for those situations period.
  • I blame the terrible matchmaking for HvV causing all the rage quits if dice improved that so sides were on a equal level then far less people would be rage quitting. But instead you always get one useless team and one far superior team the question is which one you will be put on when joining
  • Daijooky wrote: »

disagree. Why penalize people who's network connection drops? there's a ton of legitimate reasons to leave a match.
  • What a terrible idea. Do you think i could tolerate 3 hours of Capital Supremacy without a breather? Please actually think about what you're demanding.
  • After much discussion with friends and others that game, it was agreed that a penalty that works in an mmo would not work in a shooter. What we did come up with is this. What you start that match with is what you leave it with. So if, for example, you had X credits/experience points/kill count etc, if you quit, everything gained during the match is wiped back to those numbers. This would (hopefully) be a serious deterrent to those that are consistently quitting matches because something doesn't suit their perfect ideals or rage quitters.
    And since some matches, such as GA and CS are longer and have much larger sized teams, to the point that a few quitting here and there doesn't make a huge difference, the quitting penalty could not be applied (possibly) to those. It's really only an issue in the smaller scaled team matches, coop/HvV/extraction and the like. Where quitting has become a part of the game play. For every 10 matches I play in, I have to say 9 will have people up and quit for no apparent reason. (I've stopped trying to figure out the why) I've even found myself beginning to do it, and that's wrong. If a penalty, such as the one I'm suggesting now, were to be implemented I would not complain about it being levied on me were into quit a match, valid reason or not.
    That's all for now. I hope that everyone is staying safe in these dark times, and that your loves ones are as well.

Descansa en paz Mamá, te extraño tanto.
    "I am one with the Force and the Force is with me. I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me, aaaand now I have a lightsaber!"
  • A new player can’t learn to play whilst on the receiving end of a steamroll

Man, you have just eloquently summarised in a single sentence one of the things I hate the most about online multiplayer games.
  • bfloo
    17723 posts Member
    A new player can’t learn to play whilst on the receiving end of a steamroll

Man, you have just eloquently summarised in a single sentence one of the things I hate the most about online multiplayer games.

Weapons progression has made this problem worse.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Daijooky
    93 posts Member
    Well, what with the announcement that there will be no more game content coming, this thread is essentially now pointless. So, for all those that weighed in on the matter, thanks for showing interest in it whether for or against. About all I will be contributing to these forums will be the occasional commentary on tactics for gameplay.
    May the force be with you.

"Play with passion, or don't play at all."
  • It's up to the player if they want to keep HvV alive. No one is going to face an overwhelming opponent who taunts and humiliates them, especially if they are outnumbered and outranked.

If you want to have fun in this game you're going to have to be a sportsman. Otherwise this mode is going to be empty soon.