criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

Project Luminous: The Future of Star Wars, details leaked

ZephanUnbound
3136 posts Member
edited January 5
https://makingstarwars.net/2020/01/the-next-star-wars-film-saga-to-be-set-during-the-high-republic-era/
https://ziro.hu/english/exclusive-project-luminous-covers-the-whole-future-of-star-wars/

The highlights of these 2 leaks:
  • Project Luminous is a new multimedia project which will encompass film, video game, comics, novels, and possibly television
  • Project Luminous is set 400 years before The Phantom Menace, when Yoda is much younger, the Sith are in hiding using the Rule of Two to survive, and the Republic is at the height of it's power, during what is known as the High Republic era.
  • Claudia Gray, Justina Ireland, Daniel José Older, Cavan Scott and Charles Soule are in charge of the comic and book portion of the project, which was teased at Celebration 2019
  • D.B. Weiss and David Benioff (Game of Thrones) were originally going to be in charge of the film portion of this project, but were unable to because their $200m Netflix deal was going to take too much of their time, so other directors will be in charge of making the movies
  • The planned Rian Johnson trilogy seems to be unrelated to this project
  • The project will begin with a new Star Wars video game which is designed to setup the new time period.
  • Official details are rumored for reveal later this month, with Luminous project officially starting with the video game which will release in 2021
  • The plot will revolve around a group of heros (Jedi and non-Jedi) being sent into the Unknown Regions of space in order to chart them, and each movie will focus on a different character, with different strengths and weaknesses, kind of like Marvel superheros. These solo movies will set up an Avengers like crossover movie where they all meet up to fight a powerful enemy, rumored to be an old Sith god
  • It isn't sure if the Old Republic movie being written by Laeta Kalogridis which was leaked last year is part of this project, therefore not being Old Republic technically (but rather High Republic), or if that is a separate project
  • It is being speculated that the Kevin Feige Star Wars movie that was announced last year might be part of this project, given his experience running a similar universe with the MCU
  • One source is reporting that their Project Luminous info comes from the same source who leaked to them that the Mandalorian would have a child character who would be with the Mandalorian throughout the series, months before The Child was officially unveiled alongside the first episode
Post edited by ZephanUnbound on

Replies

• Interesting details for sure. Particularly interesting that they're reporting that Project Luminous is expected to begin with a new Star Wars video game in 2021. Hopefully EA has a good studio developing that game.
  • A lot bigger then I expected
  • This is where Disney will finally be able to stretch it's legs and not be bound by movies over 40 years old. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Spergicide wrote: »
    This is where Disney will finally be able to stretch it's legs and not be bound by movies over 40 years old. I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah, I think getting away from the Skywalker saga time period is the best thing they can do right now, movie wise at least. They can continue exploring that time period with the character focused tv shows like The Mandalorian, Cassian, and Obi-Wan shows, but after the sequel trilogy it is best to move the movies to a different time period.
  • Very interesting and welcomed info! Thanks a lot!

Marvel style movie, hmmmm, interesting to say the least.

I guess this means that leaked EA Star Wars game isn’t Battlefront?
  • I am excited for the Video Game and what type of game it will be?
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

I have a feeling it’s another fallen order type. Maybe even a copy, but different era. But I can see them making a direct sequel as well

I have a feeling it’s another fallen order type. Maybe even a copy, but different era. But I can see them making a direct sequel as well

Okay Ngl a High Republic Fallen Order game would be awesome
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• Spergicide wrote: »
    This is where Disney will finally be able to stretch it's legs and not be bound by movies over 40 years old. I'm looking forward to it.

yes, "let Disney be Disney"
  • Mostly it sounds cool...mostly. I can't really get on board with the Marvel way of doing things though. Although I guess if they don't adopt the same formulaic approach to their movies that Marvel has then it could be a lot better.

Other than that and Rian Johnson, everything sounds great. Would be fun to see the republic at the height of its power and how people view it and the Jedi. Little odd to have Sith involved considering Mace Windu said they haven't been seen for over a 1000 years. Assuming of course the Jedi actually do encounter them and they aren't literally hiding throughout all the movies haha.
  • Mostly it sounds cool...mostly. I can't really get on board with the Marvel way of doing things though. Although I guess if they don't adopt the same formulaic approach to their movies that Marvel has then it could be a lot better.

Other than that and Rian Johnson, everything sounds great. Would be fun to see the republic at the height of its power and how people view it and the Jedi. Little odd to have Sith involved considering Mace Windu said they haven't been seen for over a 1000 years. Assuming of course the Jedi actually do encounter them and they aren't literally hiding throughout all the movies haha.

I think the Marvel way of doing things is an excellent idea. Those movies had unprecedented success and the crossover nature drew audiences in to a larger overarching story. This would be great for Star Wars. It was great for Marvel. It’s all Disney now. This is the way.
  • Thank you @ZephanUnbound, this is great news and information. I like the sound of this. It’s a great time to be a Star Wars fan!
  • ZephanUnbound
    3136 posts Member
    edited January 7
    I am excited for the Video Game and what type of game it will be?

No idea. Could be that it will be alot like the Avengers game that Square Enix is releasing in May, where we will be able to choose between the protagonists from this upcoming movie franchise, and play it either solo or cooperatively. Or it could be something else entirely, like just a single character focused game like Jedi Fallen Order. We're also not really sure which EA studio is developing it. It has to be EA because they have the exclusive Star Wars license until 2023. Which studio though? Almost certainly not DICE. Bioware is busy with Anthem ongoing content and Dragon Age 4, with rumors of a new Mass Effect in development as well. Popcap, doesn't seem like a series they would work on. EA Vancouver maybe? They were supposedly developing a huge Star Wars game focused on bounty hunters up until January 2019, when EA supposedly cancelled it in favor of a different, smaller Star Wars game, which EA wanted to have ready for next gen consoles Holiday 2020. However, if this info is true, maybe that game got delayed from Holiday 2020 to 2021, and will be a bit bigger now thanks to the extra dev time?
    Post edited by ZephanUnbound on

I think the Marvel way of doing things is an excellent idea. Those movies had unprecedented success and the crossover nature drew audiences in to a larger overarching story. This would be great for Star Wars. It was great for Marvel. It’s all Disney now. This is the way.

Depends on your definition of success. Yes they had huge financial success, but they were hardly worthy of critical acclaim. The only reason they have great scores on the review websites is because people who review movies these days are either horrible at it or are paid by the movie companies to write good ones. I mean the last Jedi got amazing reviews haha that says it all about the review sector of the industry I think.

Ironman 1 and perhaps guardians of the galaxy 1 are the only two movies in the MCU that are genuinely critical successes. That's out of like 20 movies or something. Doesn't build much confidence in that way of producing movies.

The "masses" lap up the MCU movies, yet they are hardly worthy of the success they achieve. I wonder what the demographics for their movies are. Teenagers maybe? That would make sense as to their box office success. The MCU has positioned itself as the "cool" movies to watch and it would be understandable if teenagers were then their most popular demographic because they are most susceptible to following a trend.
  • DarthJ
    6901 posts Member
    Interested in the comics and books section - Charles Soule has been great for the comics generally.

Interested in the video games and the era generally - the lore behind it will be great to delve into.

Less happy about a Marvel-esque series of films with a Jedi Avengers vs Sith Thanos crossover. Marvel is getting more stale as time goes on with its copy and paste films, I don't want Star Wars to be the same. I understand they need a boost after the general fiasco that has been the ST, but I don't think Disney making their products all become the same format is going to be the answer.
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • DarthJ
    6901 posts Member
    Mostly it sounds cool...mostly. I can't really get on board with the Marvel way of doing things though. Although I guess if they don't adopt the same formulaic approach to their movies that Marvel has then it could be a lot better.

Depends on your definition of success. Yes they had huge financial success, but they were hardly worthy of critical acclaim. The only reason they have great scores on the review websites is because people who review movies these days are either horrible at it or are paid by the movie companies to write good ones. I mean the last Jedi got amazing reviews haha that says it all about the review sector of the industry I think.

Ironman 1 and perhaps guardians of the galaxy 1 are the only two movies in the MCU that are genuinely critical successes. That's out of like 20 movies or something. Doesn't build much confidence in that way of producing movies.

The "masses" lap up the MCU movies, yet they are hardly worthy of the success they achieve. I wonder what the demographics for their movies are. Teenagers maybe? That would make sense as to their box office success. The MCU has positioned itself as the "cool" movies to watch and it would be understandable if teenagers were then their most popular demographic because they are most susceptible to following a trend.

Thank the lord someone else gets it. MCU has also resulted in superheroes becoming the 'cool' thing to latch onto and turned Marvel and DC into what console wars are like. I miss the days when it was a geek thing and fans loved both. Now you have the type of people the MCU is aimed at going 'booo DC sucks', 'Marvel for Oscars!' etc.

Agreed they are a financial success, and you are right on the critical element. I'd put the Cap trilogy in that category too, but the rest follow the same format endlessly when you watch them back. I still can't work out how critics rate these films as highly as they do. Ant-Man and the Wasp is terrible, as an example.

I don't want Star Wars to go down this route long term.

Not so. Teenagers are certainly not the demographic that drove the financial success. I don’t know what you’re expecting from comic book movies, but looking at the history of comic book movies prior to these, with but a couple of exceptions, these are a cut above everything that’s come before.
  • Darth_Vapor3
    4650 posts Member
    edited January 8
    DarthJ wrote: »
    Mostly it sounds cool...mostly. I can't really get on board with the Marvel way of doing things though. Although I guess if they don't adopt the same formulaic approach to their movies that Marvel has then it could be a lot better.

Thank the lord someone else gets it. MCU has also resulted in superheroes becoming the 'cool' thing to latch onto and turned Marvel and DC into what console wars are like. I miss the days when it was a geek thing and fans loved both. Now you have the type of people the MCU is aimed at going 'booo DC sucks', 'Marvel for Oscars!' etc.

Agreed they are a financial success, and you are right on the critical element. I'd put the Cap trilogy in that category too, but the rest follow the same format endlessly when you watch them back. I still can't work out how critics rate these films as highly as they do. Ant-Man and the Wasp is terrible, as an example.

Seriously? You want to go back to a geek’s only club of interest? That would only foster more of the lackluster quality that it always did. Inclusion of appeal to more people is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I’m a Marvel guy, but for the record I enjoy the DC films too.

And 90% of all movies across all genre’s follow the formulaic approach. Pointing this out is not really a valid criticism. These are comic book movies designed to entertain. They are trying to sweep the Oscars.
  • bfloo
    16577 posts Member

Seriously? You want to go back to a geek’s only club of interest? That would only foster more of the lackluster quality that it always did. Inclusion of appeal to more people is a good thing, not a bad thing.

And 90% of all movies across all genre’s follow the formulaic approach. Pointing this out is not really a valid criticism. These are comic book movies designed to entertain. They are trying to sweep the Oscars.

Appealing to a niche has generally led to better quality.

Gaming was a lot better when gamers were a small niche.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Darth_Vapor3
    4650 posts Member
    edited January 8
    bfloo wrote: »

Perhaps in some areas, but I would disagree that it has for comic book movies in general.

And there’s an argument that games were better.
    Sure, they worked right out of the box, but they also had much less content. The gaming industry is massive, dwarfing all the major sports industries combined. Growth is better than stagnation. There are some fantastic games available now that are light years ahead of anything that’s come before.

Too bad this game isn’t one of them.
  • bfloo
    16577 posts Member

Perhaps in some areas, but I would disagree that it has for comic book movies in general.

Sure, they worked right out of the box, but they also had much less content. The gaming industry is massive, dwarfing all the major sports industries combined. Growth is better than stagnation. There are some fantastic games available now that are light years ahead of anything that’s come before.

The Keaton batman movies, the Nolan trilogy, the 1st 2 Christopher Reeves SuperMan movies, the TobeyMan trilogy, the 1st Hellboy were all very well done for comic book movies. X-Men almost pulled it off, Logan was actually a very well done film.

I'm sure there are more, but it isn't my fav genre. I never got into the whole comic book thing.

As far as the MCU films went, some of them were fun, but none that I would say was a great 'film'. If not for Robert Downet Jr playing Tony like his Sherlock Holmes, I'd prob never have watched any after the 1st Iron Man. I think I only saw ~ 2/3, if that many. I didn't know who a chunk even were in Infinity War.

If we go back to games, the mechanics have been dumbed down a lot, plug progression killed the even playing field if you start a game late. Aside from graphics and sound, it is hard to say they have taken any gigantic leaps forward. The quality of ai is still hit or miss.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »

The Keaton batman movies, the Nolan trilogy, the 1st 2 Christopher Reeves SuperMan movies, the TobeyMan trilogy, the 1st Hellboy were all very well done for comic book movies. X-Men almost pulled it off, Logan was actually a very well done film.

I'm sure there are more, but it isn't my fav genre. I never got into the whole comic book thing.

As far as the MCU films went, some of them were fun, but none that I would say was a great 'film'. If not for Robert Downet Jr playing Tony like his Sherlock Holmes, I'd prob never have watched any after the 1st Iron Man. I think I only saw ~ 2/3, if that many. I didn't know who a chunk even were in Infinity War.

If we go back to games, the mechanics have been dumbed down a lot, plug progression killed the even playing field if you start a game late. Aside from graphics and sound, it is hard to say they have taken any gigantic leaps forward. The quality of ai is still hit or miss.

Well I must admit that I’m a homer for the genre, just like SW.

I agree with Keaton, but they aren’t way above some of the current movies. I disagree with Christopher Reeves’ Superman though. They were good, but pretty much the same as now, just in the 80’s. I’m a huge fan of the initial Hellboy movies. Haven’t seen the new one yet. For the most part the X-Men have been a letdown. Logan was a great movie in and of itself, more than it was a comic book movie. It’s the single best X-Man movie ever made.

Game mechanics have improved in my opinion, if you choose the right games that is. Progression in multiplayer games is indeed a debatable subject.

Games like Mass Effect, particularly Mass Effect 2, are representative of the evolution of game quality. You just can’t have such a game in the 80’s and 90’s. I’ve been gaming since Pong and Atari so you can understand the range that I’m considering here.

What I like about the new comic book movies is that they, like never before, are essentially taking the actual comic books and putting them onscreen. From the story arcs to character development to battle sequences, they are doing a really good job at that. And the way the MCU has had an overarching, multi-movie story plan has been the key to its unprecedented success. Someone above mentioned how they thought Ant-Man and Wasp was a bad movie. It wasn’t, but it won’t stand out among the best either. The fact that an event there was vital to End Game, however, is brilliant. The vast number of characters in this whole story allows many different people to have there own favorite characters. I think this was a good idea that represents a feature that comic books offer like no other genre.

I’m hoping that they have a similar plan wit the new SW era of films. I think it’s a great time for SW.
  • DarthJ
    6901 posts Member

@Darth_Vapor3 I don't think it was lacklustre quality then, if anything it was more focussed quality for those who enjoyed it. I think I came across wrong there (I like to rant sometimes!) - there are good and bad elements with it being introduced and including others. The obvious good is that it reaches more people, we see more products of our favourite heroes, younger generations get introduced into it, etc. The bad elements are what I mentioned, the type of fan who is a bandwagon-jumper, hasnt picked up a comic in their life, and then starts turning comics into console wars when they have no clue what the source material is or anything about the depth of characters. That might sound pretentious and that I think those who read comics are instantly better fans, which isn't necessarily true, its more the fact that those who are loudest are the console war type of people. So, in a sense, there are times where I am happy for more inclusiveness into something I have always loved, but also times where I hate it. Marvel vs DC was generally (mostly) a friendly rivalry, and I love both (although I lean more to DC, better villains and better arcs overall imo). Its hard to ignore the console-type fan boys who then ruin it for others.

I don't think they should be trying to sweep the Oscars, but I think they can try different things once in a while. DC, for all its faults with its current movies, has went drastically different with Joker and its recent films (Shazam being more light-hearted for instance to suit the character) and look how well they went down. Marvel doesn't really leave its safety net, and basically ensures it does entertain, but sticks to its formula to play it safe and make a load of money. I respect your opinion on Ant-Man and the Wasp, and am glad you enjoyed it, but that one in particular highlighted to me the issues with Marvel. Chuck a couple of jokes in, have them doubt themselves or argue, beat the baddie (and the villain was insanely poor in that film) and there you go. There's no real difference. It effectively was the equivalent of a filler episode in a TV series, as only the post creds scene felt relevant.
    Even Thor and Hulk has started to be twisted this way. Rather than be the machines we know they can be from the comics (and insanely intelligent with Banner/Hulk), they get turned into lol comedy characters to suit the formula. Downey Jr has been good as Iron Man, but he barely reflects comics Iron-Man most of the time. He effectively plays himself, throws a few jokes in, and there you go - Marvels template has been set.

I'm not saying everything should be grim and gritty, but a change every so often would be welcome.

And overall, for me, Marvel is forgetting its roots. Its comics side has generally slid down in quality since the movies kicked in, and there was talk last year that Marvel were looking to cut their comics completely and just focus on their films, as they didnt feel the input for the comics is worth it (in terms of profit). Doing that would be a slap in the face to fans who have been with them for years before the films, including being with them through the bankruptcy stage before Disney bought them out.

Short term for Star Wars in this format - sure, it might work, regain some of its prestige after the ST. Long term - people will start to get bored once it hits 3-4 movies a year and has crossovers. I'm not saying I do (comics fans, as you say, should be happy with the boom in our favourite characters), but I don't think its necessarily the right format for Star Wars. Works for comics but for Star Wars?
  • DarthJ
    6901 posts Member
    @Darth_Vapor3 sorry about the length of the reply, typed as I was thinking it haha! So if it doesnt make sense I apologise.
  • Darth_Vapor3
    4650 posts Member
    edited January 8
    @DarthJ

No need to apologize. I can be very wordy while in the thrall if my own thoughts as well.

Good points. An excellent post in fact. Ant-Man/Wasp as indeed a filler movie. It was exactly like a crossover of a major story event onto a smaller comic title.

They had a 20+ movie plan. A huge story told over a decade. They didn’t just make a movie and then later choose to build on it once it succeeded. Thats the standard way. What they did was fully develop a huge comic book story event and present that through film. I really liked that. It was unprecedented and has never been seen before in the history of movie making. But yeah, there were some movies that were formulaic along the way. The same certainly applies to comics and story arcs therein.

Regarding Hulk and Thor, two of my favorite three Marvel heroes, I’m not sure I can agree with your take. Everyone is very familiar with the stereotypical presentation of these well known characters. Presenting them in other, less becoming, and less idealized light is actually a break from the formula, I would say. Showing these characters reaction to dealing with profound failure is the opposite of the typical formula.

In any case the foundation is set. These characters are more well known and beloved than ever before. Their backgrounds are developed, as is the major setting backdrop for the MCU. They’ve accomplished what no one else has even tried. Now is the time for more gritty and off-color movies that you are talking about. The kind of movies that might actually win a prestigious award.

I don’t know what Marvel Comics is up to these days. I don’t read them anymore. But boy did I used to! I don’t see them canceling their comics because of movie success though.

Personally, I think SW would benefit greatly from this type of production process. Let’s be honest, Lucas could make up a good story and produce a good movie, but he was a miserable writer. These Marvel characters/movies were made in light of near limitless history of stories. You and others often refer to this history when criticizing the movies. And that’s fair. But it’s not Earth-616, despite what Mysterio thinks/claims, so there is always that.

But Star Wars doesn’t have this problem at all. If the report on Project Luminous is to be believed, then everything will be fresh and new. This is absolutely fantastic news for a SW fan. It means that a huge SW story is about to be told with more developed content and characters in the next 10-15 years than we got from Lucas in over 30! Sure, some productions will be better than others, but as a whole, and measured over time, I’m telling you, we are entering the Golden Age of Star Wars, now, as we speak, not leaving it.

Search your feelings. You know this to be true.

Sorry, hahaha, I had to say that. 😆

Anyway, great discussion and great points man.

I got more wordy than intended to as well.
  • ZephanUnbound
    3136 posts Member
    edited January 8
    Since we're seeing a debate about the MCU approach on Star Wars, I will say that I'm not really a big MCU fan. I've skipped most of them, I think I've only watched Iron Man 1, Iron Man 2, Captain America 1, Thor 1, Avengers 1, Civil War, Avengers 3, Ant-Man 2, and Captain Marvel so far. While there is no doubt that the MCU has been a massive financial success, I personally think that quality wise, the MCU is a bit lacking. There are much better comic book movies than you'll get out of the MCU, I personally love the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy, even Spider-Man 3, though it did have it's issues. Spider-Man 2 is still the best super hero movie of all time in my opinion, nothing that I have watched from the MCU even comes close to that level, especially not MCU Spider-Man, based on what I saw of him in Avengers 3 and Civil War, and the clips from the solo movies that I've seen on Youtube. I also personally really like the original X-Men trilogy, even if the critics ***** on them. Never really liked DC much, but some of the Nolan Batman movies were good.

That being said, I do think that I will like the MCU approach better on Star Wars than I do on Marvel. These are going to be all original characters in the Project Luminous, unlike the MCU, where you have to compare the MCU versions vs their comic book and animated counterparts, and in Spider-Man's case, against the amazing Tobey Maguire Spider-Man (who frankly blows Tom Holland Spider-Man out of the water). Having that comparison point can lead to missed expectations, just look at the Star Wars sequel trilogy and how the ST versions of OT characters disappointed so many Star Wars fans (especially ST Luke). But Project Luminous gets to avoid that complication by using original characters, unless of course one of these solo SWCU Star Wars movies is Young Yoda, though it would be hard to get Yoda wrong imo (even at 500+ years old instead of 900+ years old, he should still be incredibly wise, the only difference should be that he is a better fighter, since he would have a younger, more agile body).
  • what about a crossover?

Rey fights Galactus
  • AzorAhai
    1401 posts Member
    It's a good idea for them to carve out an undefined time period and start telling stories. I'm even okay with Yoda being in it, as long as we don't get prequel-era Lucas type, gratuitous moments, like Yoda getting a knee injury and suddenly needing a walking stick, or being taught how to build a hut in swamplands, or Artoo being created.
  • Darth_Vapor3
    4650 posts Member
    edited January 8
    @ZephanUnbound

Good post. Good points all around. But I must take issue with one of them. Spider-Man 2 is also my favorite Spider-Man movie, and I like Toby McGuire, he played a great Spider-Man, but Tom Holland IS Peter Parker. Hands down, there no comparison in my book. Holland is the Spidey from the pages of the comic books.

Now, I have no interest in any qualitative discussion on the matter, because it’s just my opinion. You would have equally valid points for yours. I just thought it interesting to point out the differences in fandom.

I also don’t think the MCU has suffered in quality either, but I’m a homer for marvel. I mean, what movies are they inferior to, as a frame of reference? I’ve seen all super hero movies, and but for a scant few, the MCU stands equal to or above them all.

But anyway, that’s just my opinion of course.

I agree that the upcoming SW era is something to be extremely excited about.
  • ZephanUnbound
    3136 posts Member
    edited January 18
    So guys, this is looking more likely to be accurate now. Apparently a recent chapter of the Kylo Ren comic used the term High Republic, which has never been used in Star Wars canon or Legends before to refer to the point in time when the Republic's power was at it's zenith, we've only ever heard the First Republic called the Old Republic or the Galactic Republic. The fact that they chose to use the term High Republic in a canon comic now, shortly after this leak, is almost definitely a hint.