criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

The Last Starfighter Assault Update

TaydarRoe
20 posts Member
edited January 5
Star fighter Assault in SW BF2 by EA is the best Iteration of Star Fighter combat in any starwars game Criterion has done an amazing job. but sadly these great mechanics have been left in the dust, and have been lacking content.

to this day I play star fighter assault since launch it was clear o see the amount of work that went into it. so heres a list of reasonable thing I feel should be added before they give up on the mode.

MAPS
Clone wars-Battle over Coruscant, And Dreadnaught Assault (in the clone wars Grievous had a ship with an EMP Weapon attached to the side and it would short out all ship electronics and wipe out like whole Squadrons. the clones take that out as the droids defend it)

Civil War- Death Star Assault, this can be ported over from the first game. For the last map we can either have Hoth Escape, Scarif Assualt or Death Star II.

Reylo Wars- Star killer Base Assault, have some planet side combat for a change. And there was a huge ship battle at the end of RoS that can be a map.

Other Content

Bombers- the Sequeal era is missing bombers and I saw 3 Y Wings in RoS and a bunch of new first Order ships... so get on it

Graze mechanic- there are to many times where my ship comes into close contact with a surface and in reality the Collison be no doubt damaging to the ship but I don't think it would explode on contact. so it would be nice to see a mechanic implemented where you can Skid and Grind on surfaces at the cost of HP given you approach at the right angle. there have also been times I have smacked my ship on a surface but still survived so idk how this works in game.

HERO SHIPS

Light side- Obi wan's Delta Fighter in Ep 2 (or give it to Anakin hes had one to),and the fighter Yoda has but as Anakin or obi wan as a pilot (or Ashoka)

Dark side- ( they will get 3 cuz light side has more) Dookus Geonosis fighter, Grievous' Silver bomber from ep 3. and Jango Slave 1

if DICE can get Criterion to add all these things I think we can let Star fighter Assault die in peace

Replies

• Sounds like a dream for everyone SA player I would love to see all these things hope that the b wing and the tri wing from star wars battlefront 1 gets implemented.. sadly until now these are just dreams...I really like swbf2 but the best mode is slowly dying thx Dice for not giving us content for 2 years.
  • I'm surprised they never had the battle over Coruscant in the first place, one of the more popular battles of the movies. Unfortunately, DICE has plainly given up on Starfighter Assault. Ben Walke even said the plan was to change Starfighter team deathmatch in Arcade to Starfighter Assault and that never happened.
  • SFA is the game's top mode imo and should have double the number of maps by now...but go figure
  • Genin
    123 posts Member
    TaydarRoe wrote: »
    Star fighter Assault in SW BF2 by EA is the best Iteration of Star Fighter combat in any starwars game Criterion has done an amazing job. but sadly these great mechanics have been left in the dust, and have been lacking content.

to this day I play star fighter assault since launch it was clear o see the amount of work that went into it. so heres a list of reasonable thing I feel should be added before they give up on the mode.

MAPS
    Clone wars-Battle over Coruscant, And Dreadnaught Assault (in the clone wars Grievous had a ship with an EMP Weapon attached to the side and it would short out all ship electronics and wipe out like whole Squadrons. the clones take that out as the droids defend it)

Civil War- Death Star Assault, this can be ported over from the first game. For the last map we can either have Hoth Escape, Scarif Assualt or Death Star II.

Reylo Wars- Star killer Base Assault, have some planet side combat for a change. And there was a huge ship battle at the end of RoS that can be a map.

Other Content

Bombers- the Sequeal era is missing bombers and I saw 3 Y Wings in RoS and a bunch of new first Order ships... so get on it

Graze mechanic- there are to many times where my ship comes into close contact with a surface and in reality the Collison be no doubt damaging to the ship but I don't think it would explode on contact. so it would be nice to see a mechanic implemented where you can Skid and Grind on surfaces at the cost of HP given you approach at the right angle. there have also been times I have smacked my ship on a surface but still survived so idk how this works in game.

HERO SHIPS

Light side- Obi wan's Delta Fighter in Ep 2 (or give it to Anakin hes had one to),and the fighter Yoda has but as Anakin or obi wan as a pilot (or Ashoka)

Dark side- ( they will get 3 cuz light side has more) Dookus Geonosis fighter, Grievous' Silver bomber from ep 3. and Jango Slave 1

if DICE can get Criterion to add all these things I think we can let Star fighter Assault die in peace

I agree with you... Starfighters are so much fun in this game and that's a pity to see any new maps, or modes, ships ecc... They also have been cut out from capital supremacy, where is supposed to be the "all in one" mode.
  • I laughed at the Reylo wars thing, that was funny. But I do agree with you, Starfighter Assault is such a good game, their fighters are awesome. Why not add Ahsoka as a fighter? They already did it with Poe!! Instead we get BB--8.......
    Yeah, you know who I am...
  • Otum
    15 posts Member
    Starfighter Assault was developed by Criterion, wich is now out from the game. So no hope to see any new Starfighter Assault update
  • I would love to see a Death Star 2 map, plus battles on the planets like you see in Galactic Assault, but just for SA.
    Classic Clone Wars space battles would be dope as well.
    But... it's probably not going to happen.
    To bad, so sad...
  • Foxdie491 wrote: »
    This is all the game is missing for me right now. Also. OBJECTIVE BASED ARCADE!!!! Team Deadmatch is booooooring.

Capital Ship Assault?
  • hosco33
    395 posts Member
    edited January 16
    Nook2002 wrote: »
    Foxdie491 wrote: »
    This is all the game is missing for me right now. Also. OBJECTIVE BASED ARCADE!!!! Team Deadmatch is booooooring.

Capital Ship Assault?

When they announced Capital Supremacy I thought it would be some teammates fighting in the ground in synch to star fighters (like endor's or star killer base's shield deactivation, for instance). But I wouldn't imagine how to address the chances of one team dominating the ground and the other one dominating the space or air combat.

The thing is they could have been simultaneously fought rather than in phases.
  • Agreed, starfighter has been left alone for too long
  • hosco33 wrote: »
    Nook2002 wrote: »
    Foxdie491 wrote: »

Capital Ship Assault?

When they announced Capital Supremacy I thought it would be some teammates fighting in the ground in synch to star fighters (like endor's or star killer base's shield deactivation, for instance). But I wouldn't imagine how to address the chances of one team dominating the ground and the other one dominating the space or air combat.

The thing is they could have been simultaneously fought rather than in phases.

I think, if they should ever implement starfighters to CS, they should make the fighters only available during the ship phase. That was, there will be no command post strafing and the two teams can take down/defend the capital ships from inside, as well as outside the ship.
  • CptAmmogeddon
    121 posts Member
    edited January 16

MAPS

While the Coruscant-idea would be pretty awesome and maybe even do-able without too much effort or Criterion's help (just put 3-4 large Cruisers for each Team on the map, a few low-res versions outside of the boundaries. Moving and interactable Cruisers are already a thing in SA, so why not put in a few more and make them move all the time?) the Malevolence-concept would mean building an entirely new and btw massive ship from scratch, so that's sadly very improbable.
    Civil War- Death Star Assault, this can be ported over from the first game.
    Yes please!! Give us the trench run already. I would even be happy with just that part as a map, not the entire game mode from BF2015.
    Other Content

Graze mechanic- there are to many times where my ship comes into close contact with a surface and in reality the Collison be no doubt damaging to the ship but I don't think it would explode on contact. so it would be nice to see a mechanic implemented where you can Skid and Grind on surfaces at the cost of HP given you approach at the right angle.
    Some ships already seem to have this. All 3 Falcons can skid on water (Campaign) and flat Terrain (e.g. FO stardestroyer), and I think there are other ships that can do that for a very short time (maybe the a-wing?).
    But I don't know if it would make sense for many ships? I mean, Fighters like the Tie or X-wing have very thin wings that stick out towards the ground, so it makes sense that the ship would be destroyed when it hits something even slightly.
    HERO SHIPS

It's a no from me for Dooku's "Fighter" and Jango's slave 1. Regarding Dooku's ship, it simply isn't a fighter, it's a luxury transport. It is more comparable to a small yacht, and you wouldn't wanna mess with anyone while piloting that, imo.
    And while I am a big Fan of Jango Fett and think he can and should be implemented in BF2 without being too similar to Boba, the blue-ish Slave 1 should imo just be a skin. They obviously already used the Slave 1 from Ep 2 for the abilities, so there wouldn't be much change, I think.

If I may, I have a few ideas myself.

First of all, DICE should add Starfighters to CS (well ok, that isn't really a original idea, but still). If they make them available during the ship phase there wouldn't be problems like command post strafing etc. And I think it is something that DICE can do on its own without too much effort.

Secondly, there should be more maps with tight spaces and tunnels, where ace pilots can try and shake pursuers, if they can manage to survive. The BF 2015 trench run had a few nice and tight spaces, why not add something like that to BF2 (and I don't mean things like those rings on the Lucrehulk where you can thread the needle. It's fun, but it's not that hard and doesn't give you an advantage).

And lastly, Starfighter Reinforcements. So many players have stated this obvious fact that SA could use some reinforcements as well. At least 1 per side. It could be some type of "heavy Fighter", heck, just call it "Enforcer (Fighter)" and I am happy. Things like the B-wing, Tie defender, Torrent or Headhunter, Magna-Guard ships etc. There is enough material there!
    Maybe even a second reinforcement for each faction as well, some type of gunship-class, with the U-Wing, Tie-Striker, LAAT, Droid Gunship and something for the Reylo-Saga.
  • Genin
    123 posts Member
    To see starfighters added to capital supremacy is my dream. They work very well in big maps (there are many ways to counter them, first of all the enemy starfighters, then ion torpedoes ecc) and then they would be amazing for a second phase against the capital ship!
  • TaydarRoe wrote: »

MAPS

While the Coruscant-idea would be pretty awesome and maybe even do-able without too much effort or Criterion's help (just put 3-4 large Cruisers for each Team on the map, a few low-res versions outside of the boundaries. Moving and interactable Cruisers are already a thing in SA, so why not put in a few more and make them move all the time?) the Malevolence-concept would mean building an entirely new and btw massive ship from scratch, so that's sadly very improbable.
    Civil War- Death Star Assault, this can be ported over from the first game.
    Yes please!! Give us the trench run already. I would even be happy with just that part as a map, not the entire game mode from BF2015.
    Other Content

Graze mechanic- there are to many times where my ship comes into close contact with a surface and in reality the Collison be no doubt damaging to the ship but I don't think it would explode on contact. so it would be nice to see a mechanic implemented where you can Skid and Grind on surfaces at the cost of HP given you approach at the right angle.
    Some ships already seem to have this. All 3 Falcons can skid on water (Campaign) and flat Terrain (e.g. FO stardestroyer), and I think there are other ships that can do that for a very short time (maybe the a-wing?).
    But I don't know if it would make sense for many ships? I mean, Fighters like the Tie or X-wing have very thin wings that stick out towards the ground, so it makes sense that the ship would be destroyed when it hits something even slightly.
    HERO SHIPS

It's a no from me for Dooku's "Fighter" and Jango's slave 1. Regarding Dooku's ship, it simply isn't a fighter, it's a luxury transport. It is more comparable to a small yacht, and you wouldn't wanna mess with anyone while piloting that, imo.
    And while I am a big Fan of Jango Fett and think he can and should be implemented in BF2 without being too similar to Boba, the blue-ish Slave 1 should imo just be a skin. They obviously already used the Slave 1 from Ep 2 for the abilities, so there wouldn't be much change, I think.

If I may, I have a few ideas myself.

First of all, DICE should add Starfighters to CS (well ok, that isn't really a original idea, but still). If they make them available during the ship phase there wouldn't be problems like command post strafing etc. And I think it is something that DICE can do on its own without too much effort.

Secondly, there should be more maps with tight spaces and tunnels, where ace pilots can try and shake pursuers, if they can manage to survive. The BF 2015 trench run had a few nice and tight spaces, why not add something like that to BF2 (and I don't mean things like those rings on the Lucrehulk where you can thread the needle. It's fun, but it's not that hard and doesn't give you an advantage).

And lastly, Starfighter Reinforcements. So many players have stated this obvious fact that SA could use some reinforcements as well. At least 1 per side. It could be some type of "heavy Fighter", heck, just call it "Enforcer (Fighter)" and I am happy. Things like the B-wing, Tie defender, Torrent or Headhunter, Magna-Guard ships etc. There is enough material there!
    Maybe even a second reinforcement for each faction as well, some type of gunship-class, with the U-Wing, Tie-Striker, LAAT, Droid Gunship and something for the Reylo-Saga.

Theres a lot of Hero ships I would like to see added, lIke Ventress' Banshee and the Delta fighter that Anakin had the blue one with the two engines in the front. I guess they could add those if the ever got criterion back, I mean the game is getting its second wind.
  • There are More players now then when the game launched, so Maybee Just Maybe they can contract Criterion again to add some new things instead of DiCE trying to do it themselves.
  • We need more star fighter maps more than anything else in the game.
  • Genin
    123 posts Member
    Chris1 wrote: »
    We need more star fighter maps more than anything else in the game.

Agree... But any contents would be appreciated, considering we don't see any in 2 years xD