criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

Gah! How do you control your space fighters?

I just bought the game a short while ago. I'm pretty impressed with the game.

But how on earth do you control and fight in the space battles?
I tried to mingle a bit with the settings and turning 'Advanced' on and off. No matter what I do I simple can't get a decent control over my ship (Tie-fighter, Y-Wing, Millenium falcon etc.)
I have a KONE AIMO mouse with the ability to change the mouse sensitivity during play but this isn't helping me at all. In fact in only gets worse.

Also I think it's very confusing that the cross hair is moving separately. Maybe I can learn to adjust to this but the cursor is almost invisible because of all the graphics (lightning, explosions etc.).

I have to be honest that I feel like thrown into a kaleidoscope with no options for control.

Yes, I did play a lot of games. I started with Quake in 1995 and Unreal Tournament and played ever since. So, basically I have tried a lot of games. But I have to admit I am on the brink to give up on Star Wars Battlefront II. All because of the chaos with the controls and the sensitivity. It's a shame since I really feel like playing it after I played Fallen order. The Star Wars enthusiasm from my younger days returned I guess?

There's no chance I can participate in the multiplayer part with these settings.

How do you play this? What can you do? Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Mush

Replies

• Have you tried playing with a controller? Least that's what I heard from the older battlefront comments on flying. I usually avoid aircraft in BF games, except for choppers which I am competent with KB setup.
  • Thnaks for your suggestion, Macrick!
    No, I never play with a controller. I don't think I could adjust to it. I tried it once many years ago but quickly turned back to mouse+keyboard.

I think it's the extreme delay in maneuvering the fighters that troubles me. I can set my mouse to respond fast but then the 'delay sway' is uncontrollable. You actually have three different elements to attend to at the same time: The mouse, the vehicle delay/sway and the cross hair.

I try to 'become one with the vehicle', or maybe say 'not think' while flying. What's it called? A kind of meditation? I hope you know what I mean?

I wish there was an option to adjust the cross hair and the vehicle delay/sway. But I guess it isn't there as it's a part of the game play difficulty?

Maybe I'm getting too old for this?
  • Mushashi7 wrote: »
    Thnaks for your suggestion, Macrick!
    No, I never play with a controller. I don't think I could adjust to it. I tried it once many years ago but quickly turned back to mouse+keyboard.

I think it's the extreme delay in maneuvering the fighters that troubles me. I can set my mouse to respond fast but then the 'delay sway' is uncontrollable. You actually have three different elements to attend to at the same time: The mouse, the vehicle delay/sway and the cross hair.

I try to 'become one with the vehicle', or maybe say 'not think' while flying. What's it called? A kind of meditation? I hope you know what I mean?

I wish there was an option to adjust the cross hair and the vehicle delay/sway. But I guess it isn't there as it's a part of the game play difficulty?

Maybe I'm getting too old for this?

I am not the greatest at Starfighters but don’t know what you are referring to with ‘delay sway’. I don’t really have any delay when turning in a Starfighter if that is what you mean. You will turn faster if going slower and you won’t be able to turn as fast if in full speed.
  • Nah, I am 40 and still gaming. Just have to be tactical with your moves. Each to it's own. relleuM is right abt his advice. Have fun!~
  • Tactical with my moves? I guess that's the only options.

I've been fiddling a bit more but nothing seems to improve seriously. I rest all my adjustments and use the default now. It's the closest I can get.
    But I still don't think this is fun. Everything in the space battles feels like complete chaos to me. All I have to hope for is luck turning my way now and then.

Yeah, I'm 55 by now. I guess age also applies here? Reaction wise that is?
  • Honestly I can see why you might wanna play with mouse and keyboard but for this game type I switch to the controller, I don't like how it feels with the mouse.

for me it feels easier to maneuver and pull tight tricks. try that. its pretty easy to just Bluetooth a Controller into a laptop or Tower
  • Genin
    123 posts Member
    I play on console, with pad, so I can't help you... What I can say is that starfighters need a bit of practice to get good, but once you get it... They are soooo much fun! Don't stop tryn!
  • The cross-air moves because for some reason that's how it works in real life (But It's Star Wars), the fighters are awsome though!! Once you get the hang of it, they are awesome. I normally fly the ARC-170 when in Arcade. Don't fly the TIE fighters until you get the hang of it, they are the hardest to fly. Make sure your controls aren't inverted (Unless you like them like that), and if you didn't already know, the little circle in front of fighters is their hitbox.
    Yeah, you know who I am...
  • I just use a USB controller. Never had any issues with it. I can't stand playing with nouse and keyboard personally.
  • I use KBM, but thats because the starfighter combat plays a lot like other space games I've played tons of, such as Freelancer, Everspace, etc.