criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

Behemoths in battlefront

Like the playable zeppelins in battlefield 1 I would've liked to see a playable star destroyer in this game. Pilot would be able to call in orbital strikes on a location, supporting guns underneath destroyer like in 1. I know I could just play battlefield for that sort of action. Just been thinking of something the destroyers could be used for other than just sitting in the background.

Replies

• lok
    988 posts Member
    Be ok for kashyyyk and geonosis,very open etc.
  • I would absolutely love to have battlefield reskinen Star Wars, there some really good maps in battlefront 1. Big open maps.

Forgot the name, but desert by the sea with the castle. So good
    41st.org Founder "Where the Game is Winnable."

are-you-threatening-me-gif.gif
  • ROMG4
    3482 posts Member
    Behemoths to everyone else: Ah yes the cool big vehicles introduced in BF1

Behemoth to me:
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/150464/the-oom-9-campaigns-over-2-and-a-half-year-anniversary-thread

• Yeah that would be cool. Star destroyers are awesome and should be utilised in the game more somehow. They're like the aircraft carriers of the future haha.

Someone already said kashyyyk and geonosis. Also crait and mayyybe starkiller phase 1. On hoth maybe the AT-AT could be reworked to have a wider arc of fire for the main gun and more time for it to reach overheat, and then removal of orbitals and orbitals be given to the star destroyer that's hovering above.
  • @Starwarsor66 that's exactly what I was thinking for Hoth
  • There would have to be real conquest first
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Empire_TW wrote: »
    There would have to be real conquest first

That's what I was thinking. I always think about conquest on Hoth and playing in the phase 1 open area. Really wish it could make it in
  • I love the idea, but in that case, I want also starfighters to fight it back!
  • Right. Starfighters would actually be more useful taking out turrets on the destroyer and would have something else to do
  • Feelee16 wrote: »
    Right. Starfighters would actually be more useful taking out turrets on the destroyer and would have something else to do

Yep, already even suggested a phase between the capturing of command posts and the boarding of the ship, which is quite short and only takes about 2 minutes AND would be voluntary, where you have to attack the turrets as starfighters, while the defenders can fight you back using starfighters and the turrets themselves. For every turret you get down you have slightly more time on the CS. One could extend on this and allow for the defenders to shoot and destroy some LAATs. If successful, time is taken away. Would motivate players to particpate in this phase. As a non participant you can either look at this fight from a certain angle, or "follow" your teammates with a spectator camera like in HvV 2vs2, where when you died you follow along your mate and can see what they see.

After this phase the second half of the transition scene happens, where the LAAts land inside the CS.

Even if it is this linear and only this small, seeing Starfighters in CS would have been a must from the very beginning. Leaving them out is really sad
  • Feelee16
    424 posts Member
    edited January 13
    @jo_achim747 that would be pretty interesting taking out the defenses before boarding. I never liked how Starfighters weren't available in CS and this would be pretty good reason to add them in. Objective for attackers would be to take out defenses, defenders kill a certain amount of attackers. If it fails it goes back to ground phase. If you attempt it again the remaining defenses must be taken out in order to board. Yeah I wouldn't mind that (edit) it'll make it longer of course but I think starfighters need something at least.
  • Genin
    120 posts Member
    Feelee16 wrote: »
    @jo_achim747 that would be pretty interesting taking out the defenses before boarding. I never liked how Starfighters weren't available in CS and this would be pretty good reason to add them in. Objective for attackers would be to take out defenses, defenders kill a certain amount of attackers. If it fails it goes back to ground phase. If you attempt it again the remaining defenses must be taken out in order to board. Yeah I wouldn't mind that (edit) it'll make it longer of course but I think starfighters need something at least.

Mee to... I was so disappointed when I find out that starfighters were not added in CS... Still hoping for the future...
  • Genin wrote: »
    Feelee16 wrote: »

Mee to... I was so disappointed when I find out that starfighters were not added in CS... Still hoping for the future...

Right. Starfighters deserve something after all this time waiting. I'd take anything at this point
  • Battlefield 1942 had controllable carriers and destroyers .submarines...and B 52s. And that was in 2003. To my knowledge Battlefield has never had anything close to a controllable destroyer or carrier since. There is a comment above that says BF1 had a controllable air zeppelins, that is news to me cause I never purchased BF1, and I think that is the only Battlefield I never got.

When I asked around about controllable carriers today the reaction I always heard was how it wouldn't work today because of too many trolls beaching the carrier. I don't believe that. And for a game like this the solution is fairly easy, make a box that is off the ground they can fly in but they cannot land or go lower than that ceiling. They have some movement in that box in all directions. This way you could do a ground to hanger seamlessly, and starfighters could mess with the capitol ships.

But going back to Battlefield 1942 have it where the players can take out the capital ships all during the map ( it would be extra interesting if random debris scattered all over the battlefront for a second) , and during this time that team cannot spawn new starfighters for a minute or two, during which time is air superiority and a team can do nothing but attack the ground targets with complete impunity and no fear of any air threats.

You could have the capital ships have shields but there could be some kind of ION strike weapon on the ground that can take out their shields temporarily to allow starfighters time to damage them, sort of like the strategy in GA against ATATs, the difference being the shield is down longer, and its not like the entire match revolves around it. The star destroyers would be an annoyance in the air, like C 130s or Bombers on Battlefield 4. The benefit like I said would be slowing down enemy air power and spawns. And in that case you have starfighters spawn inside the infamous hanger bay or that area right outside the plasma gate aiming down.

I don't know how fair that would be to have a star destroyer up there pounding away plasma bolts at everything on the ground. But they could highly nerf it like they do the mounted miniguns on Battlefield 4. That is not realistic for a trooper to take a hit from a deck gun and keep going but the game would still be playable and it would make it not so futile to have ground vehicles. So that those plasma bolts are very watered down and dilluted by the time they reach the ground but it is possible to take things out still. I still think having them up there would add a lot to the game. The look, the sound, the action. Even better if they are player controllable so not so stagnant.
  • SrawDawg wrote: »
    Battlefield 1942 had controllable carriers and destroyers .submarines...and B 52s. And that was in 2003. To my knowledge Battlefield has never had anything close to a controllable destroyer or carrier since. There is a comment above that says BF1 had a controllable air zeppelins, that is news to me cause I never purchased BF1, and I think that is the only Battlefield I never got.

When I asked around about controllable carriers today the reaction I always heard was how it wouldn't work today because of too many trolls beaching the carrier. I don't believe that. And for a game like this the solution is fairly easy, make a box that is off the ground they can fly in but they cannot land or go lower than that ceiling. They have some movement in that box in all directions. This way you could do a ground to hanger seamlessly, and starfighters could mess with the capitol ships.

But going back to Battlefield 1942 have it where the players can take out the capital ships all during the map ( it would be extra interesting if random debris scattered all over the battlefront for a second) , and during this time that team cannot spawn new starfighters for a minute or two, during which time is air superiority and a team can do nothing but attack the ground targets with complete impunity and no fear of any air threats.

You could have the capital ships have shields but there could be some kind of ION strike weapon on the ground that can take out their shields temporarily to allow starfighters time to damage them, sort of like the strategy in GA against ATATs, the difference being the shield is down longer, and its not like the entire match revolves around it. The star destroyers would be an annoyance in the air, like C 130s or Bombers on Battlefield 4. The benefit like I said would be slowing down enemy air power and spawns. And in that case you have starfighters spawn inside the infamous hanger bay or that area right outside the plasma gate aiming down.

I don't know how fair that would be to have a star destroyer up there pounding away plasma bolts at everything on the ground. But they could highly nerf it like they do the mounted miniguns on Battlefield 4. That is not realistic for a trooper to take a hit from a deck gun and keep going but the game would still be playable and it would make it not so futile to have ground vehicles. So that those plasma bolts are very watered down and dilluted by the time they reach the ground but it is possible to take things out still. I still think having them up there would add a lot to the game. The look, the sound, the action. Even better if they are player controllable so not so stagnant.

Further thoughts -

When a Capital Ship's shields go down its deck guns could be destroyed, kind of like pulling the teeth of the dragon rendering it useless, and and also shield generators on a star destroyer, destroy 1 and the next time the shields go down the shields are down for twice as long, destroy both and then the SD has no shields while starfighters pick it apart like vultures, eventually destroying the engines (not available to shoot until shield generators are gone).

• Feelee16
    424 posts Member
    edited January 14
    @SrawDawg ah man BF1 was pretty good. In my opinion not as fun as 4 but still pretty good. Best for me was probably Bf3. I have my reasons but that's another topic.

The flyable box you're speaking about was kinda in BF1, the person flying the thing wouldn't be able to lift up or down. They could only go forward, backwards, left, or right. Planes and AA guns could shoot at it to damage it and eventually destroy it.

In BF1 when the behemoths were destroyed it would leave debris in the area it fell in. No Starfighter spawns for a while for the team would be pretty interesting. It's like a bonus for teamwork.

That would definitely add more use to the Starfighters. And would add a little more teamwork for players. Hopefully people on the ground would be paying attention to Starfighters waiting to attack though. You know how some teammates play.

I agree I think it would add something to the game too and change up gameplay a little. You should look at battlefield 1 gameplay and the behemoths that were available. They were a lot of fun to play with. Maybe even pick it up too, it's pretty fun to play still and maybe you'll enjoy it.
    @SrawDawg ah man BF1 was pretty good. In my opinion not as fun as 4 but still pretty good. Best for me was probably Bf3. I have my reasons but that's another topic.

The flyable box you're speaking about was kinda in BF1, the person flying the thing wouldn't be able to lift up or down. They could only go forward, backwards, left, or right. Planes and AA guns could shoot at it to damage it and eventually destroy it.

In BF1 when the behemoths were destroyed it would leave debris in the area it fell in. No Starfighter spawns for a while for the team would be pretty interesting. It's like a bonus for teamwork.

That would definitely add more use to the Starfighters. And would add a little more teamwork for players. Hopefully people on the ground would be paying attention to Starfighters waiting to attack though. You know how some teammates play.

I agree I think it would add something to the game too and change up gameplay a little. You should look at battlefield 1 gameplay and the behemoths that were available. They were a lot of fun to play with. Maybe even pick it up too, it's pretty fun to play still and maybe you'll enjoy it.

I might just pick it up on Origin if its not too much and that will complete the Battlefield collection for me. I'm interested in seeing those and how they play out.

And they rain debris down when destroyed eh? That is interesting. But yeah I was thinking to give the capital ships just a bit of up and down movement that way they can offensively ram and crush fighters and get close as they can to the ground to make the most of their guns.

And imagine the rewards or points for taking down a star destroyer? Like going from the last on the leader board to first in one play. Kind of like winning the lottery!
  • @SrawDawg It'll be unlimited reinforcements and heroes running around until the end of the match if it gave off a ton a BP. I could see them maybe giving it a cap like 5,000 BP for playing the objective?

If it could go up and down that'll definitely be something. I can see people talking about not being able to spawn or nowhere to go. It'll most likely have some bugs too. A glitchy star destroyer would be insane.
    @SrawDawg It'll be unlimited reinforcements and heroes running around until the end of the match if it gave off a ton a BP. I could see them maybe giving it a cap like 5,000 BP for playing the objective?

If it could go up and down that'll definitely be something. I can see people talking about not being able to spawn or nowhere to go. It'll most likely have some bugs too. A glitchy star destroyer would be insane.

That is an interesting concern. I had not thought of that. But hey, 5k BP? That is pretty cool too!
  • All I've wanted my whole life is to command a star destroyer! Fulfill my dreams Dice!
  • All I've wanted my whole life is to command a star destroyer! Fulfill my dreams Dice!

Having said that, does anyone know of any good games where you can control one or many star destroyers?

Having said that, does anyone know of any good games where you can control one or many star destroyers?
    Empire At War.