criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

The Hero selection method is seriously damaging this game and encourages bad behaviour.

Everyone hates it when people hug the menu, to wait until a hero becomes available. Each of us has a story about losing a match because 1/3 of our team was not on the map.
But it's not their fault, due to everything about unlocking heroes/villains in this game, encourages that and more bad behavior. Blame the game, not the players.

Let's look at it step by step:

1. Hugging the menu after death, and after not being the first to get a hero is often a player's only chance, outside of sheer coincidence.
  2. It encourages cowardly play because people wanna keep playing as hero(especially those still leveling them up.)
  3. Two fixed "first come first serve" slots encourage racing to 4k to grab a hero first. Doesn't help that some classes acquire BP easier than others.
  4. Then you have the fact that heroes without fully leveled star cards are just underperforming(some lvl4 cards give 100% skill bonus) So beginners still needing to lvl heroes, are again, encouraged to idle in the menu for a chance to make their heroes better.

In BFII2005 heroes would be offered either to the best/worst, or a random player and ran on a timer(with killing replenishing some time.) But the system in this game is so fundamentally flawed that you cannot even apply these things as possible fixes:
  • Bringing the timer back wouldn't fix the menu hugging, and if anything would make it worse, due to people anticipating a hero's death.
  • NO timer but a recent hero player not being able to take a hero again, would only lead to even more cowardly play.
  • Giving it to the best players would still encourage racing to get BP or AI spawncamping
  • Giving it to the worst, would encourage the opposite

Random allocation, or at least a cycle seems to be the only thing that could somehow work at first glance but I'm not even sure here either. Because you'd have to make it cycle through all players to not be unfair. So whether you start with the best two players on each team, or random players, still has the issue of whether a timer comes into play(otherwise the cowardly playing comes back because they know they won't get a hero again soon), and of course: match length.

Because if you cycle through you need to make sure that really everyone gets a chance or else it makes no sense. And in CS it could work, but for GA the matches are just not long enough, so a hero timer would be way too short for those matches and maps.

So is there even a fix to this system? Because it seems that on all ends, the game is designed to just encourage bad behavior from hero and villain players.

Replies

• Empire_TW wrote: »
    Raising BP costs would help.

Would it? Because I think it would just further encourage racing to the top, thus more Officer spam(and I'm an officer main so its not like I'd be at a total disatvantage.)

Plus it would lower the chance for lesser able players to grab one even further. ~4k are as far as BP are concerned a good middle ground to make sure all players get the necessary points to unlock heroes. It's just that literally every system surrounding this, is botched.
  • Remove the Hero menu. If one is available then it should go to the highest point person available. If they decline then next.
    Ace speeder pilot.
    http://bit.ly/2smYu2B playa from day 1 when shift was real
  • Calorie wrote: »
    Empire_TW wrote: »

Would it? Because I think it would just further encourage racing to the top, thus more Officer spam(and I'm an officer main so its not like I'd be at a total disatvantage.)

Plus it would lower the chance for lesser able players to grab one even further. ~4k are as far as BP are concerned a good middle ground to make sure all players get the necessary points to unlock heroes. It's just that literally every system surrounding this, is botched.

There was no screen camping back when it was 6k and 8k at least not as much as there is now. Officer BP farming is the most effective right now because of how low the bp costs are, officers can potentially get 1k before the actually fighting starts, with the old costs they would at least not be 1/4 there before the fighting starts.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • It sounds like you're blaming it more on the heroes than the players, and the heroes are not the problem in this scenario. All they need to do is set a timer before the character select automatically puts you in the game as a random class.
    THIS has all been foreseen.
    j2p7umsm2f8x.jpg
  • I like the idea of 6-8k costs. I usually finish games sitting on 10-20k unused in CS matches and am lucky to snag 1 or 2 hero's a match.
  • Going back to old hero costs could indeed help. That might improve some other aspects as well.

But there will always be players that screen camp at least they would need to get 6K before doing so.
  • 10-12 would be fine with me, maybe it would weed out a few of the fakes/exploiters somewhat and prevent them from spawning immediately back in as hero #2 if they die as a hero #1. Also no reason to camp if you don’t have the bp so playing would hopefully be more of a priority. Also for the lower lvl guys they should acquire enough bp by mid/late match to grab a hero they’re not going to get in the 1st place as is. So good played dies, doesn’t have bp for immediate hero #2, the weaker played has enough bp by this time for a hero.
  • Psy3d
    986 posts Member
    I am for the OG cost system...where Vader was 8k, so I didn't see the same tryhard or younoober the 2nd time with the same hero. What most consider to be OP, needs to be at a higher BP than the likes of Leia. Very simple fix.
  • They could implement a reserve system where you get to reserve a hero when you have enough points and get to play as the hero once you die.
    Your journey nears its end.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • Alwe15
    2000 posts Member
    edited January 14
    This issue has been raised time and time again and the only solution I've ever agreed with, so far, is that of a spawn screen timer...

However, nothing stops the person just punching respawn to kill themselves again to go and wait on the spawn menu...

A possible solution to this, is a BP countdown, where the timer isn't of time but is actually your BP total.

Earned 4000 BP for a Hero, awesome, pick a Hero in the next 20 seconds or we'll start counting down your BP, one per second.
  • TjPunx
    1656 posts Member
    Heroes should be around 8,000-10,000. It’ll force the noobs to get better, in order to play as a hero. If they want to play as a hero, they put in the time, and then become an asset to their team as they get better, to get a hero faster
  • EightMile wrote: »
    Remove the Hero menu. If one is available then it should go to the highest point person available. If they decline then next.

Such a simple and reasonable solution. Just offer the hero to the first person who crosses 4000 - give them 15 seconds to accept or decline - then they are brought to a selection screen to choose which hero. Then offer to the next person. Then when a hero dies, offer to the player with the most BP, etc.
  • Large scale modes without heroes/Villains would help also....
  • Ppong_Man12
    2924 posts Member
    edited January 14
    Another thought. They could also make respawning a 1000 bp penalty, alone or with higher no cost, if officers respawn at the beginning of the game for double bp gains they loose 1000. Or when people get 4000 and respawn it’s a 1000 bp loss, play until you’re killed by the opposing team basically. Sure one can kamikaze or nade spam themselves but it’s more aggravating and time consuming.
  • Make them cost 6000, which you don’t get back, and remove BP for kills. Spam for cheese BP and camp at the spawn screen if that’s your thing, but you’re never getting on the leaderboard as a hero.
  • Menu hugging lmao I like it

Raise BP costs of everything, not just heroes, if hero prices go up then everything else needs to as well which would be great

I'd say 3k for all reinforcements and 6k for all heroes, I think they took away the reduced BP gain when playing as reinforcements so that reduced BP gain should be reimplemented.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Its very simple, I already thought I heard this and thought it happened, but guess it was a tall tale. Just make it that once you have enough points for anything, and if that hero or vehicle or whatever is taken, then you click on the thing you want, we'll say a hero, you have 4000 points and click on the hero, now you are queued for when the person who got the hero first dies, then you get the option to accept, and when you accept it spends your 4000 points. This would fix everything, i wouldn't have to waste time on the menu, i would just queue myself as the next in line person or 3rd, 4th in line(if I was slow), and just keep fighting until I get my notification that I'm next in line to play as my hero.

I'd say 3k for all reinforcements and 6k for all heroes, I think they took away the reduced BP gain when playing as reinforcements so that reduced BP gain should be reimplemented.

Only if certain reinforcements get buffs to compensate cause things like Droideka, Wookie Warrior and Flame Trooper are certainly not worth dropping 3k BP.

Reducing BP gain on reinforcements i'm iffy on, I think people would just slot Bounty Hunter more to make up the difference while on base class and would be of little consequence since ton of loadouts can get away with just 2 cards.
  • There’s a simple solution to this. Increase the cost of heroes back to 6000 or even to 8000, so you have to work to get one. If people want it breezy, play heroes unleashed.
  • Honestly, the 2005 hero system is what could kinda fix this. It's not perfect, but it could serve as a temporary solution. I rarely get to play as the hero. When I do, I have to play extremely different from how I played them back in BF 2015. Whereas in that game I was super aggressive because all the heroes (especially my nemesis Nien Nunb,) were infantry wreckers. Now, I have to constantly balance being aggressive and being passive. Personally, I like this change but it does lead to a lot of heroes playing scared. I've seen this countless times in GA where people pick a saber user, rush in every now and then, and then proceed to run for fear of losing the hero. There needs to be two main changes. First of all, the 2005 hero system would work great for this game. reward the player who is actually doing well instead of someone camping on the high ground until they get the required BP and then proceed to kill themselves and camp the menu. The other change is this. Add. A freaking. Timer. This was a problem in the previous game and it still is. There needs to be a timer that replenishes on kills that encourages people to be more aggressive. That's my take on it.
    gctn47nz145u.png

I keep changing this for whatever reason but ehh...It can stay like this I suppose.
  • I never liked the "whoever clicks first gets it system". I'd advocate a system were you can apply for a hero, starting a timer during which other people can apply to (w/o having to respawn). After the timer runs out, a random person out of those who have applied looses the BP and gains the ticket. The next time they respawn, they do so as the chosen hero. In addition to clearing menu camping, in clears the issue of sweaty clicking-as-fast-as-possible and affords time to configure your loadout for the current situation.
  • These are the kind of threads we need you to be looking at and pay attention to Devs
  • Drop the health on hero's and balance them as regular class. Make a client side option to not display duplicate hero's for people who don't want their immersion ruined.

Along with removing BP gain star cards!

Raise BP costs of everything, not just heroes, if hero prices go up then everything else needs to as well which would be great

I would agree with 6K for heroes if and only if they buff all blaster heroes!
    Everyone hates it when people hug the menu, to wait until a hero becomes available. Each of us has a story about losing a match because 1/3 of our team was not on the map.
    But it's not their fault, due to everything about unlocking heroes/villains in this game, encourages that and more bad behavior. Blame the game, not the players.

1. Hugging the menu after death, and after not being the first to get a hero is often a player's only chance, outside of sheer coincidence.
    2. It encourages cowardly play because people wanna keep playing as hero(especially those still leveling them up.)
    3. Two fixed "first come first serve" slots encourage racing to 4k to grab a hero first. Doesn't help that some classes acquire BP easier than others.
    4. Then you have the fact that heroes without fully leveled star cards are just underperforming(some lvl4 cards give 100% skill bonus) So beginners still needing to lvl heroes, are again, encouraged to idle in the menu for a chance to make their heroes better.

In BFII2005 heroes would be offered either to the best/worst, or a random player and ran on a timer(with killing replenishing some time.) But the system in this game is so fundamentally flawed that you cannot even apply these things as possible fixes:
    • Bringing the timer back wouldn't fix the menu hugging, and if anything would make it worse, due to people anticipating a hero's death.
    • NO timer but a recent hero player not being able to take a hero again, would only lead to even more cowardly play.
    • Giving it to the best players would still encourage racing to get BP or AI spawncamping

Random allocation, or at least a cycle seems to be the only thing that could somehow work at first glance but I'm not even sure here either. Because you'd have to make it cycle through all players to not be unfair. So whether you start with the best two players on each team, or random players, still has the issue of whether a timer comes into play(otherwise the cowardly playing comes back because they know they won't get a hero again soon), and of course: match length.

Because if you cycle through you need to make sure that really everyone gets a chance or else it makes no sense. And in CS it could work, but for GA the matches are just not long enough, so a hero timer would be way too short for those matches and maps.

So is there even a fix to this system? Because it seems that on all ends, the game is designed to just encourage bad behavior from hero and villain players.

I think you make a very good point. There is a fundamental flaw here with no obvious solution.

I think somewhere the ability to get a hero with battle points you have earned needs to go. The randomness of acquiring a hero that we saw in BF 2015 was fine.

There is nothing we can do about play styles once someone has spawned in with a hero though.

I don't see how that would help... that would just make a race to 4k into a race to 6k .... it's the same scenario.
  • willywonka7
    2174 posts Member
    edited January 15

I don't see how that would help... that would just make a race to 4k into a race to 6k .... it's the same scenario.

I think that this would help for several reasons:
    1. The number of times the high level player can regain the hero immediately after dying would be reduced.
    2. It allows other people to get the chance since you need more
    3. It allows the game to end sooner as less people would be able to play the hero unless they save up more points to hold the game off! I'd rather the game modes all end super fast now because they obviously don't want to fix matchmaking or balancing again. That and they've over nerfed the time it takes to complete CS, which make it super boring and almost done in the first attempt! It shouldn't have taken 5-8 attempts like when it first came out. But it shouldn't go in the first attempt most of the time. I've seen game modes where the only thing that was slowing the teams down from completing CS in less that 20 minutes was the fact that the ground mode still takes a bit of time to complete on the first attempt.
    4. If they go to 6K then it would require high level players to get 12,000 instead of just 8,000 stored up to get the hero two times in a row. Tripling the cost essentially that you have to have saved up if you want to double spawn heroes! There are plenty of times that I store up double or triple points to get the hero one right after the other if our team is failing hard.
    5. It also incentivizes using other characters after the first attempt because the cost is now higher.
    6. Might also see less heroes too
    7. Might also get heroes spawning in later in the game and you would get GA games that wouldn't fail as easily on the 1st phase. As Dice no longer seems to care about balancing GA anymore to make the games go to later phases.
    8. A large reason as to why GA fails early or people start exiting out of GA or CS is because new people get the heroes near the start of the game and game play for the entire rest of the team goes careening off a cliff into disaster! 6K might help push this disaster to later on in the game when the direction has already been determined by the more skilled players and less on new players camping heroes!
    9. I've spent a lot of time watching people from scoreboard and analyzing their score and kill count when they are playing the heroes to determine that there are a lot of people that camp the heroes! I've been in a lot of games where the person playing the hero goes 5-10 minutes without get points or kills. Generally this then starts leading to people on the team quitting.
    10. 80% of the games I play on GA and CS, where people start leaving in large groups is because some low level player has the hero. They are essentially camping as the hero or sitting far behind the front line and not doing anything while the rest of the team is getting obliterated. Raising the cost would hopefully push newer people to reconsider trying to play as the hero and instead play a character less vital to victory!
    11. It might also push the timeframe when new people play the hero later in the game when it's less critical to determining the victors......like on 2nd and 3rd phases of 3 and 4 phase maps. Or on the second phase of the capital ship. Areas where people generally waste off a lot of heroes and points anyway and other skilled people still have points play another hero into combat once they die.

I also think that they should institute a timer on the heroes that if you haven't gotten kills/assists/or points then a countdown begins on your hero to kick you back to playing another character with partial points returned. This is prevent the hero camping by the new people in CS especially. I've seen some people playing the hero on my squad run from one entrance to another not killing or helping anyone. Just looking for a way into reactor with NO people what-so-ever..........then they proceed to sit in a corner behind friendlies waiting for them to push the line forward to get to the reactor.

1. The number of times the high level player can regain the hero immediately after dying would be reduced.
    3. It allows the game to end sooner as less people would be able to play the hero unless they save up more points to hold the game off! I'd rather the game modes all end super fast now because they obviously don't want to fix matchmaking or balancing again. That and they've over nerfed the time it takes to complete CS, which make it super boring and almost done in the first attempt! It shouldn't have taken 5-8 attempts like when it first came out. But it shouldn't go in the first attempt most of the time. I've seen game modes where the only thing that was slowing the teams down from completing CS in less that 20 minutes was the fact that the ground mode still takes a bit of time to complete on the first attempt.
    4. If they go to 6K then it would require high level players to get 12,000 instead of just 8,000 stored up to get the hero two times in a row. Tripling the cost essentially that you have to have saved up if you want to double spawn heroes! There are plenty of times that I store up double or triple points to get the hero one right after the other if our team is failing hard.
    5. It also incentivizes using other characters after the first attempt because the cost is now higher.
    7. Might also get heroes spawning in later in the game and you would get GA games that wouldn't fail as easily on the 1st phase. As Dice no longer seems to care about balancing GA anymore to make the games go to later phases.
    8. A large reason as to why GA fails early or people start exiting out of GA or CS is because new people get the heroes near the start of the game and game play for the entire rest of the team goes careening off a cliff into disaster! 6K might help push this disaster to later on in the game when the direction has already been determined by the more skilled players and less on new players camping heroes!
    9. I've spent a lot of time watching people from scoreboard and analyzing their score and kill count when they are playing the heroes to determine that there are a lot of people that camp the heroes! I've been in a lot of games where the person playing the hero goes 5-10 minutes without get points or kills. Generally this then starts leading to people on the team quitting.
    10. 80% of the games I play on GA and CS, where people start leaving in large groups is because some low level player has the hero. They are essentially camping as the hero or sitting far behind the front line and not doing anything while the rest of the team is getting obliterated. Raising the cost would hopefully push newer people to reconsider trying to play as the hero and instead play a character less vital to victory!
    11. It might also push the timeframe when new people play the hero later in the game when it's less critical to determining the victors......like on 2nd and 3rd phases of 3 and 4 phase maps. Or on the second phase of the capital ship. Areas where people generally waste off a lot of heroes and points anyway and other skilled people still have points play another hero into combat once they die.

I also think that they should institute a timer on the heroes that if you haven't gotten kills/assists/or points then a countdown begins on your hero to kick you back to playing another character with partial points returned. This is prevent the hero camping by the new people in CS especially. I've seen some people playing the hero on my squad run from one entrance to another not killing or helping anyone. Just looking for a way into reactor with NO people what-so-ever..........then they proceed to sit in a corner behind friendlies waiting for them to push the line forward to get to the reactor.

Ok, you make a good argument. I like the timer idea too.

What are your thoughts on not allowing heroes at all in phase one of GA matches?
  • OP is a noble effort

Ok, you make a good argument. I like the timer idea too.

What are your thoughts on not allowing heroes at all in phase one of GA matches?

I'm on the fence......sometimes they are needed to get the game out of so many phase 1 segments. Other times they really start off ruining the game play of a pretty balanced 1st phase that is close. Then it causes a chain reaction for everyone to upgrade units to counter the heroes!

Not sure to tell you the truth for GA; however, with CS it's easy. They could be spawn in latter battle in CS. That's when I like to play CS the most is when no hero weekends occur........I'm regularly the one that gets the hero when I'm playing CS anyway. I like not having to rush to control the hero to determine if our side will win or not! I want to play the reinforcements more.

To appease the people that like playing CS and GA without heroes and appease the people that do like the heroes, as well as the people that want CS to go back to being a bit longer. I think that the first attempt on the ground phase for CS should be hero free. The first phase of both capital ships should be longer and harder but heroes would then be allowed. Separatists really need to spawn on 1st phase control points too. I love 1st phase separatist dreadnaught ship but it never lasts now. It's almost no contest everytime for the republic. The second and third attempts on the ground should then include heroes with both sides starting out even distance from control points. Everyone has to recapture points. AI don't get to capture any points only guard and spawn around their own. Capturing 3 points on 2nd and 3rd attempts provides points at normal speed, but capturing 4th and/or 5th points greatly increases point gain. Holding 4th and 5th capture points increases on each ground attempt. 3 points only slightly increases and maybe not at all.

As for boarding ship phase and hero selection. Boarding phase should be short on first attempt, but later attempts the boarding phase should be longer to allow battles to take place at the boarding ship. On later phases when heroes can now be used on the ground if you board the transport as a hero you don't have to select the hero at the beginning of the ground phase. However, XP should be increased drastically for all players to promote battling around the transports and not just immediately boarding the transport. The heroes should gain a lot of XP for defending other players boarding the ship. You should also get a lot of XP for killing people around the transport. If you don't board then other will be allowed to select heroes up to maximum number at start of capital ship.

If a hero boards the transports then a message should be sent to everyone that the hero has boarded. Example 1 hero has boarded the transport ship......heroes have boarded the transport ship.

• Wana level heroes? Play HvV
  • I don’t know how I feel about this, but having a countdown until respawn could work.
    #JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget

need to level up heroes? play HvV. Otherwise, you're right. They already have the answer to this in HvV btw. you spawn in automatically after what like 15 seconds? put that in GA. auto spawn as the last played base 4 trooper at the default spawn location