criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

The Sequel Trilogy Broke Every Promise

ROMG4
4101 posts Member
edited January 19
It's been a while hasn't it since the Disney takeover hasn't it? But if you can take your mind back to that time when they bought Lucasfilm and made the entire EU non-canon. The decades of work by thousands of writers in every medium and format you can imagine gone like that

One of the most common defenses for this move by both Lucasfilm and their defenders, was that Legends was "inconsistent". They said many stories were contradicting or retconning others, power levels of Jedi and Sith being elevated to Super Saiyans, stories being poorly done or developed, or even better. That it just repeated the exact same stories over and over again

And in the course of one sequel trilogy, what do we have? A trilogy that contracts not only itself in every following film but it also went and contradicted the entire past two trilogies, Jedi and Sith doing anime over the top power levels, Technology and aspects of the universe getting massive steroid injections (thousands of Death Stars as Star Destroyers, yaaaay), zero world building, and macguffins, macguffins, MACGUFFINS

A trilogy that literally recycles the same arcs, themes, and story in every single bloody film

Well, was it worth it?

Replies

• Legit I think they got confused and instead of making a good movies they made the worse EU Trilogy ever
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• ROMG4
    4101 posts Member
    Legit I think they got confused and instead of making a good movies they made the worse EU Trilogy ever

Pretty much really it's genuinely incredible just how badly they messed up. They had literal decades of source material to pick and choose from, they had all the data in the bloody world to see what fans liked and didn't like

And this is the best they came up with, nothing. Absolutely frigging NOTHING, 3 films and we don't even get an inkling of what the state of the galaxy is

This is one of the weakest and most undercooked trilogies in cinema history. If not the worst when you consider that it is THIS trilogy that wraps up the decades long saga of Star Wars

This is it for the Skywalker saga there's no more our characters are gone, the world-building of the OT and Prequels gone, everything established removed

Just to be redone in nearly the exact same way but bloody WORSE
  • The sequel trilogy wasn’t as good as the other trilogy’s but I was satisfied by it.There are quite a few choices I would’ve done differently like I probably would’ve killed Finn off in 8 and mostly Stu I with the original script for episode 9 would’ve made Reys parents established in episode 7 that they are nobody.Would not have killed Luke off in episode 8.
  • IXPrometheusXI
    2487 posts Member
    edited February 1
    ROMG4 wrote: »
    Legit I think they got confused and instead of making a good movies they made the worse EU Trilogy ever

Pretty much really it's genuinely incredible just how badly they messed up. They had literal decades of source material to pick and choose from, they had all the data in the bloody world to see what fans liked and didn't like

And this is the best they came up with, nothing. Absolutely frigging NOTHING, 3 films and we don't even get an inkling of what the state of the galaxy is

This is one of the weakest and most undercooked trilogies in cinema history. If not the worst when you consider that it is THIS trilogy that wraps up the decades long saga of Star Wars

This is it for the Skywalker saga there's no more our characters are gone, the world-building of the OT and Prequels gone, everything established removed

Just to be redone in nearly the exact same way but bloody WORSE

Fans: Creates 40 years worth of EU content with some being amazing and very useable for movies

Disney: Throws all of that beautiful stuff into the trash then proceeds to create trash.

Im scared for when they do a trilogy before the PT. Time to see how much we can screw up the PT as well. I also love how they destroyed Coruscant then realized oh[removed] that was a bad idea so they just made a new system.
    Post edited by IIPrest0nII on

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• ROMG4
    4101 posts Member
    Fans: Creates 40 years worth of EU content with some being amazing and very useable for movies
    Disney: Throws all of that beautiful stuff into the trash then proceeds to create trash.
    The treaty between the Republic and the Empire, The Empire's government being reorganized and even redeemed, Palleon, Mara Jade, the New Jedi Order, the Solo twins, Thrawn and the Imperial Remnants. All gone, all so cookie cutter factions that never even get an inch of development could go forward in their place
    Im scared for when they do a trilogy before the PT. Time to see how much we can screw up the PT as well.
    I am genuinely dreading the day they announce an Old Republic series, I don't want to see my favorite characters get butchered and given the Phasma/Finn treatment
    also love how they destroyed Coruscant
    It is truly and genuinely remarkable how nonchalantly and quickly the New Republic was just wiped from Star Wars. In a ridiculous unexplained VFX scene that raises more questions than it should, in less than 30 seconds we see a quick glimpse at the thing two trilogies built up

And then it's over just like that. The movie doesn't even bloody give this massive event time to breath AT ALL
  • Fans: Creates 40 years worth of EU content with some being amazing and very useable for movies
    The treaty between the Republic and the Empire, The Empire's government being reorganized and even redeemed, Palleon, Mara Jade, the New Jedi Order, the Solo twins, Thrawn and the Imperial Remnants. All gone, all so cookie cutter factions that never even get an inch of development could go forward in their place

So stupid. Makes me want to stick forks in my eyes
    Im scared for when they do a trilogy before the PT. Time to see how much we can screw up the PT as well.
    I am genuinely dreading the day they announce an Old Republic series, I don't want to see my favorite characters get butchered and given the Phasma/Finn treatment

You know it will happen
    also love how they destroyed Coruscant
    It is truly and genuinely remarkable how nonchalantly and quickly the New Republic was just wiped from Star Wars. In a ridiculous unexplained VFX scene that raises more questions than it should, in less than 30 seconds we see a quick glimpse at the thing two trilogies built up

At least when Alderran was destroyed you had Obi-Wans reaction and Leias reaction. It gave you like a good 3-4 minutes without action to make sure you mulled over that.

And then it's over just like that. The movie doesn't even bloody give this massive event time to breath AT ALL[/quote]

Thats the ST summed up. It keeps shoving sht down your throat until you just turn the god damn movie off

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• no Hollywood director/screenwriter is going to want to rehash some genre fiction storyline from a paperback, the exception being something that truly breaks out of genre awareness, which nothing in the Star Wars EU ever did

the main issue is that the EU material just rehashes the original dramatic beats, so for example you get the Thrawn trilogy, which is just Empire vs. Rebels round two, or you have stories about the kids of the main characters, which is self-evidently derivative material...Star Wars fans may well enjoy rehashing the beats, but general audiences will be less enthused, and at any rate directors and screenwriters view this approach as low status

Lucas appears to have wanted to branch out into Whills stuff, which is an example of expanding the setting rather than rehashing it...probably wouldn't have worked, but it would have been the right direction to go in

it is also true that the sequel trilogy ended up being low quality genre fiction, which is part of the irony
  • DarthJ
    7079 posts Member
    I think looking at it as a whole, it was a poor trilogy. The biggest problem was changing directors - what did they expect? Everyone will want to put their own stamp on things. Rian's take obviously threw it all apart so IX ended up playing catch up. At the same time, they tried to play it too safe by rehashing IV in VII, and parts of VIII and IX resembled V and VI. For all its faults, the PT at least tried something new. I do think if JJ had of done VIII too it would have been more bearable.

I do think IX made up for a lot of it, and I actually quite liked it.

The problem is, it won't ever be seen as a failure. Critics have generally rated the trilogy highly (bizarrely having VIII as amazing and IX as average?!) and it has made millions/billions overall. It'll be judged on that. Not audience ratings on rottentomatoes or whatever.
  • ROMG4
    4101 posts Member
    I think the Sequel Trilogy is on par with the Original Trilogy in terms of quality.

3msq57.jpg
  • I think the Sequel Trilogy is on par with the Original Trilogy in terms of quality.

Cringe and insightful
  • I think the Sequel Trilogy is on par with the Original Trilogy in terms of quality.

ywT9Opa.jpg
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg

s48u6yzpxode.gif
  • Am I tripping, or do you all think that the city planet that was destroyed in The Force Awakens was Coruscant? It was Not Coruscant. It was Hosnian Prime, I believe.
    I'm the sarlacc that ate Boba Fett. I wish I hadn't because he was a favorite by many fans and an underdeveloped character.

Join the ongoing demand for Private Matches/Servers below!

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/130482/private-servers#latest
  • That said though, I agree with most of the points. The sequel trilogy just simply lacks in every aspect.
    I'm the sarlacc that ate Boba Fett. I wish I hadn't because he was a favorite by many fans and an underdeveloped character.

Join the ongoing demand for Private Matches/Servers below!

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/130482/private-servers#latest
  • ROMG4
    4101 posts Member
    @Mighty_Sarlacc Of bloody course! My first viewing I thought coruscant had been destroyed until I looked at wookiepedia

Unless you payed attention to the ONE throwaway line that what was destroyed was the Hosnian system

How the heck would you know?
  • I like how all the sequel planets are just previous trilogy planets with different names

REAL CREATIVE, boys
  • Am I tripping, or do you all think that the city planet that was destroyed in The Force Awakens was Coruscant? It was Not Coruscant. It was Hosnian Prime, I believe.

Giant Metropolis planet. Everyone would assume it was Coruscant.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• bfloo
    16772 posts Member
    Am I tripping, or do you all think that the city planet that was destroyed in The Force Awakens was Coruscant? It was Not Coruscant. It was Hosnian Prime, I believe.

I thought it was Coruscant the first time through. They made a line in passing about it being a different system.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Batman20
    2556 posts Member
    edited January 27
    It was a poor trilogy although not terrible I still enjoyed it or at least parts of it . I can't believe though that disney didn't sit down and properly plan it out from the start and work out exactly how they wanted to do it and what stories to tell. They instead rushed it out just to make money and made it up as they went along didn't help that they had 2 different directors with different visions as well. They could have made something amazing if they had but nope disney instead just remade a new hope to begin with and still borrowed from empire and return in the next 2 films. It also annoys me they never had a scene with all the OT characters together again that should have been done
  • ROMG4
    4101 posts Member
    The ST is the only era of Star Wars with absolutely nothing to explore in the EU

The OT had pre Rebellion, Rebellion, and post Endor victory
    The PT had pre-TPM, post TPM, Clone Wars, and post Order 66

The ST has nothing, the 30 year time gap has no Jedi, no Sith maniuplations, no real meaning to explore its just a blank vacant spot of time

And the FO war lasts 1 year what is there to even explore during that time? The villains all die after TLJ, Palpatine is in the unknown regions just bored, Kylo is boring, the Resistance is pitifully ineffective, and there's no real force to explore

What an insane waste of time
  • bfloo
    16772 posts Member
    Look on the bright side, it is over now.

h846398gb27k.png

• ROMG4
    4101 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

• bfloo wrote: »

I cant wait to see how the ST ages. 10 years from now no ones gonna be talking about Rey Poe or Kylo.
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • bfloo
    16772 posts Member
    2000sGuy wrote: »

I cant wait to see how the ST ages. 10 years from now no ones gonna be talking about Rey Poe or Kylo.

I expect it to age poorly. Disney is adding to many projects so there will be no need to go back to it.

The PT grew on me because there was a quiet period of years afterwards.

h846398gb27k.png

I expect it to age poorly. Disney is adding to many projects so there will be no need to go back to it.

The PT grew on me because there was a quiet period of years afterwards.

Yea the era lasting for 1 flippin year leaves little space for fleshing out.

Im especially excited to see if these twitter stans and reylos continue to suck up to it
    Hey Man.
    fw2yVS7.jpg
  • ROMG4
    4101 posts Member
    Hey at least we can be glad they never tried bringing Mara Jade into it

There are small mercies to it at least
  • bfloo
    16772 posts Member
    ROMG4 wrote: »
    Hey at least we can be glad they never tried bringing Mara Jade into it

There are small mercies to it at least

They spared Hondo too

h846398gb27k.png

• 2000sGuy wrote: »

I assure you. Kylo Ren will be a cultural icon in 40 years the same way Darth Vader is now.
    Your journey nears its end.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif

I assure you. Kylo Ren will be a cultural icon in 40 years the same way Darth Vader is now.

I assure that is so wrong.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

Bruh why you following me everywhere
    Your journey nears its end.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • ROMG4
    4101 posts Member

3ndkxe.jpg

Bruh why you following me everywhere

I post everywhere. So are you I guess lmao.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• @ROMG4

The only real tragedy to me is that Disney’s purchase has effected future content. Before we would receive things like the Bane Trilogy, KOTR, Jedi Outcast, and the Darth Plagueis novel. Nothing like any of those things has been seen since Disney’s acquisition of Lucas film.

I don’t really care what they deem *canonical*, nor should anyone else, it’s an oxymoron. Canonical texts are reported to be related to true events, they are allegedly historical... there is no reality to a fiction. “ They're imaginary. We made 'em up. Like the boogie man. Like Three Little Pigs, Pinocio, Mother Goose, sh*% like that.” If you want to sit down with a pencil and write a tale wherein it turns out Rey was actually Palpatine’s grandmother the whole time that is as “genuine” and legit a fable as anything Lucas penned.

The old stories are still there to be read, and Disney cannot make them disappear.

7i7zeq5htpgm.gif
  • Kylo and Rey were memorable characters. Like them both.

Liked Hermit Luke on his Island. Disillusioned and burned out like a Bobby Fischer in the Force. Very realistic.

Very nice locations in TFA and TLJ.

Nice music.

Some questionable dialog and character-choices, but of course miles ahead of the prequels.

• ROMG4
    4101 posts Member
    maxresdefault.png

Thank you Disney

Very cool

Did you really just say Kylo will be as iconic as Vader

:joy::joy::joy:
  • DarthJ wrote: »

Did you really just say Kylo will be as iconic as Vader

:joy::joy::joy:

I hope in 10 years we all forget Kylo Ren.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2