criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Why are so many ideas implemented unfinished?

You’ve got IA, Coop, and CS all cut up into pieces instead of releasing them at one time. Why is that? Why is it easier to chop everything up instead of just finishing a mode’s content with all eras included and calling it good beyond bug fixes? Just curious

Replies

• If we had to wait until every mode is complete, I guess we would barely have any content since February 2019. Except skins I mean. And we'd still have to wait a few months.

According to the way they communicate, by waiting for until something is sure to be delivered shortly, they also wouldn't have said a word until recently, so imagine the backlash in 2019.

It might be a bit frustrating, but it helps in many ways : it keeps the player base active, and also gives devs some much needed feedback to adjust the new game modes long before they wrap things up. They also promote these new uncomplete game modes with the latest maps.
  • M3lgo
    50 posts Member
    edited January 24
    My first thought was "Why not finishing the begun work before launching new projects ?" Projects that wasn't even asked by the community like BB-8 and BB-9E ?

First of all, I know nothing about developing a game but I guess the people working on game mods are not the same who works on new characters/units. So it's doesn't seems absurd to work on old and new content at the same time. Then, maybe it's more motivating for the team to pass from a project to another on a regular basis than to work months after months on the same thing. Developers are not robots.

But I think it's true, it should be a priority to finish what was begun. Here's a non exhaustive list :

- When a new map is created, deploy it for all game mods where it's possible : HvV, Hero showdown, Strike, Blast, classic Arcade, Coop, Instant Action, ... Same thing for every maps which is absent from some of these mods (Crait for exemple is an old map and is not available on many mods)
    - Capital supremacy maps for the original Trilogy. Sequel trilogy is incoming so I guess (and hope) it's already planned.
    - Make Felucia and Ajen Kloss available on Galactic Assault.
    - Add a few maps on Extraction and make it an independant mod again. There are only 2 maps available since the launch of this mod and it's now merged with strike. Bespin, Death Star II, Kamino, Starkiller base, Naboo palace could be good maps for it... The map design is very important for this mod so I understand all maps are not suited for extraction but I think at least a few of them could be adapted.
    - Add a bomber class for the First Order and the Resistance. With Episode IX, there is a new Y-Wing and a new Tie fighter model that could suit that role. Criterion is not working anymore on BF2 but it could be just a simple redesign of The Y-wing and Tie bomber.
    - Add the infiltrator class for Rebellion and Galactic Empire. the Probe droid could be an original idea for the Empire with a new kind of gameplay (it worked with the Droidekas) and for the Rebellion, the Bothan Spy who could be similar to the Cathex spy from the Resistance.
    - Keep adapting 2015 Battlefront maps for BF2. The team started with Bespin and Jabba's palace but nothing happened since. Sullust and Scarif should be in this game and not only on the solo campaign.

If people sees more unfinished business to add to that list... feel free to mention it.
  • since last announcements some of the unfisnished business are officialy on the way so, here's the updated list :smile:

- When a new map is created, deploy it for all game mods where it's possible : HvV, Hero showdown, Strike, Blast, classic Arcade, Coop, Instant Action, ... Same thing for every maps which is absent from some of these mods (Crait for exemple is an old map and is not available on many mods)
    - Capital supremacy maps for the original Trilogy. Sequel trilogy is incoming so I guess (and hope) it's already planned. Planned on the next OT update :)
    - Make Felucia and Ajen Kloss available on Galactic Assault.
    - Add a few maps on Extraction and make it an independant mod again. There are only 2 maps available since the launch of this mod and it's now merged with strike. Bespin, Death Star II, Kamino, Starkiller base, Naboo palace could be good maps for it... The map design is very important for this mod so I understand all maps are not suited for extraction but I think at least a few of them could be adapted.
    - Add a bomber class for the First Order and the Resistance. With Episode IX, there is a new Y-Wing and a new Tie fighter model that could suit that role. Criterion is not working anymore on BF2 but it could be just a simple redesign of The Y-wing and Tie bomber.
    - Add the infiltrator class for Rebellion and Galactic Empire. the Probe droid could be an original idea for the Empire with a new kind of gameplay (it worked with the Droidekas) and for the Rebellion, the Bothan Spy who could be similar to the Cathex spy from the Resistance.
    - Keep adapting 2015 Battlefront maps for BF2. The team started with Bespin and Jabba's palace but nothing happened since. Sullust and Scarif should be in this game and not only on the solo campaign. Scarif incoming ! Yeah ! :D