criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Calendar

What's your favourite star trek movie with the original cast and why?

Prev1
Mine is either the undiscovered country or voyage home. I can't decide. A lot of people would say wrath of Khan or voyage home I imagine. Yet the latter has a certain scope to it that feels like cold war era diplomacy between superpowers. Something that easily beats the direct sort of fighting like in wrath of Khan in my opinion, so there was at least no contest between Khan and UC for me.

Voyage home is something special though. It's the funniest star trek and yet also is a great adventure. But like I said, undiscovered country has a level of magnitude that effects the entire quadrant of the galaxy. It is also a huge test of the character of Kirk and it has a bit of mystery and detective work thrown in too haha.

So what was your favourite and why?

Replies

• Sath
    334 posts Member
    Off topic
  • You do realise that Undiscoverd Country also has massive Cold War undertones in fact Spock directly compares Kirk to Richard Nixon. As a stand alone film then I agree with you that UC has it all, a great story, great villain and lots of action and sees the first acts of peace between the Klingons and Federation

The Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and Voyage Home are one continuous Story though that must be watched together. For this reason they pip UC, a few reasons. Spock Death scene is incredible, Ricardo Montalban portrays possibly one of Cinema's greatest villains, Christopher Lloyd as Kruge. The legendary Mark Leonard as Sarek.
    Then a jolly jaunt through time and space in 4 to wrap it all up
  • The search for Spock basically spawned the Klingon language, the effort that went into it makes the movie sort of special imho.

As a next generation main, I would have to say first contact is probably my favorite of them all.

Qapla‘
  • ROMG4
    4103 posts Member
    It's a triple tie between The Wrath Of Khan, The Search For Spock, and the Undiscovered Country
  • jonci
    1326 posts Member
    This one 0afg2n0bdplw.jpg
  • You do realise that Undiscoverd Country also has massive Cold War undertones in fact Spock directly compares Kirk to Richard Nixon. As a stand alone film then I agree with you that UC has it all, a great story, great villain and lots of action and sees the first acts of peace between the Klingons and Federation

The Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and Voyage Home are one continuous Story though that must be watched together. For this reason they pip UC, a few reasons. Spock Death scene is incredible, Ricardo Montalban portrays possibly one of Cinema's greatest villains, Christopher Lloyd as Kruge. The legendary Mark Leonard as Sarek.
    Then a jolly jaunt through time and space in 4 to wrap it all up

Yeah I'm aware of the cold war undertones. Has a good message within the movie, even if the Russians might not be quite on board with being compared to Klingons basically haha.

True those 3 movies are more or less a trilogy in themselves. I still think it's ok to compared each one separately against other movies that aren't have relatively no continuation storyline. Not all trilogies are capable of such though, but most are. For example, empire strikes back, or the dark knight could quite easily be considered the greatest movies of all time even outside of the context of the overall story of their trilogy.

Watching Spock and Kirk interact with 20th century San Francisco was the funniest thing ever in star trek. "He was apart of the free speech movement from Berkley. Just between you and me, I think he did a little too much LDS".
  • skincarver wrote: »
    The search for Spock basically spawned the Klingon language, the effort that went into it makes the movie sort of special imho.

As a next generation main, I would have to say first contact is probably my favorite of them all.

Qapla‘

I said original cast!

So search for Spock is your favourite then?

For TNG, first contact is great and also generations. The first half of nemesis is also really good. Too bad it sucked after that. It should of taken the direction of the federation having to go up against the Romulan Empire in a war, or at least both fleets in some kind of stand off. Shinzon had the entire Romulan military at his disposal, and he only used one ship?? Even though it was a great ship, a warrior able to overthrow the government of one of the most powerful species in the galaxy wouldn't make a mistake like that.
  • bfloo
    16772 posts Member
    Wrath of Kahn.

Ricardo played a great villain
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Star Trek., The Motion Picture
  • tankertoad wrote: »
    Star Trek., The Motion Picture

Good one haha.

Good one haha.

Wasnt a joke.
    tankertoad wrote: »

Good one haha.

Wasnt a joke.

Are you serious? All of the 10 minute long journeys through the cloud thing weren't boring for you??
  • bfloo
    16772 posts Member

Good one haha.

Wasnt a joke.

Are you serious? All of the 10 minute long journeys through the cloud thing weren't boring for you??

Issue with the motion picture is it has no rewatch potential. That was a great twist at the end.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

Good one haha.

Wasnt a joke.

It's one of the greatest pure sci fi movies ever made. And if Gene hadn't made it, there would be zero other ST.

My guess is your under 19. You probably couldn't do the good the bad and the ugly either. No sense of cinematic history, art. Instant gratification.
  • All the even numbered ones. ;)
  • ... shouldn't this be offtopic then?
    Wanna read how Starfighters could be introduced to CS in a fair manner? Read-up on it here: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/153390/how-to-properly-introduce-starfighters-to-cs#latest

Want to support Starfighter content in general? Help us here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/evnc78/starfighters_reborn/

Good one haha.

Wasnt a joke.

It's one of the greatest pure sci fi movies ever made. And if Gene hadn't made it, there would be zero other ST.

My guess is your under 19. You probably couldn't do the good the bad and the ugly either. No sense of cinematic history, art. Instant gratification.

No I'm not under 19. What a ridiculous thing to say.

Because I didn't enjoy the long drawn out scenes that are on par with those of space odyssey, that means I'm young? Haha I haven't seen the good the bad and the ugly, so couldn't say if I like it or not.

I don't like scenes of movies where it's too much of the same thing for an extended amount of time. How much of watching a spaceship move through space with infinite musical tones can one person take before it starts to bore them?! Honestly when movies do that it just feels like the director himself is sitting back and admiring how awesome a scene it is that he has created.

I just read it got mixed reviews and didn't perform as well as hoped at the box office. There is also no indication that it aged well with time like some movies such as fight club do, in the sense that they open to poor reviews and then become critically acclaimed and develop cult followings. This would suggest that if your mate Gene had done a better job, the whole movie series wouldn't of needed to rely on wrath of Khan to actually be the movie that was more responsible for spawning the others.
  • bfloo wrote: »

Good one haha.

Wasnt a joke.

Issue with the motion picture is it has no rewatch potential. That was a great twist at the end.

Yeah it was a good ending I'll admit. I just didn't like most of it is all.
  • The Voyage Home takes the cake with this line

"Double Dumb*** on you"
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• Rouge 1
    PSN: DarthLando-
  • DarthLando wrote: »
    Rouge 1

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• anidriX
    1634 posts Member
    I don’t like Star Trek.
  • Wrath of Khan. Great story of revenge and showdown with a compelling villain and the start of a pretty good story arc.
    Rouge 1

Revenge of the Sith is great as well.

I‘ll double down on this with the Director‘s Cut.
    DarthLando wrote: »
    Rouge 1

Lmao Do you have a actual fav Star Trek Movie.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

Rouge 1

Sorry haha, hasn’t had any coffee yet, was grumpy & felt like trolling.

I was never really into Trek. Was a bit before my time I guess. However I did really enjoy the one that came out in 2009, & then thought cumberbatch killed his role in the sequel. I never saw the 3rd one.
    The search for Spock basically spawned the Klingon language, the effort that went into it makes the movie sort of special imho.

Qapla‘

I said original cast!

For TNG, first contact is great and also generations. The first half of nemesis is also really good. Too bad it sucked after that. It should of taken the direction of the federation having to go up against the Romulan Empire in a war, or at least both fleets in some kind of stand off. Shinzon had the entire Romulan military at his disposal, and he only used one ship?? Even though it was a great ship, a warrior able to overthrow the government of one of the most powerful species in the galaxy wouldn't make a mistake like that.

😅
    Yeah I guess it’s search for Spock for the originals and first contact for tng. As you said nemesis started fine but turns into something more like a double episode from the Series, agree with what you said.

I haven’t watched it yet but a friend told me that the first episode of the new Picard series is supposedly quite good, but we’ll have to see how it turns out.
    skincarver wrote: »

Qapla‘

I said original cast!

😅
    Yeah I guess it’s search for Spock for the originals and first contact for tng. As you said nemesis started fine but turns into something more like a double episode from the Series, agree with what you said.

I haven’t watched it yet but a friend told me that the first episode of the new Picard series is supposedly quite good, but we’ll have to see how it turns out.

Picards first episode was awesome. I highly recommend it.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• The Voyage Home takes the cake with this line

"Double Dumb*** on you"

Hahaha yeah that's one of my favourite lines. Also "how do you know this?", "Simple...Logic."
  • ROMG4
    4103 posts Member
    Episode 5 is also a favorite for me

So many great character interactions in this scene, its final line also hits harder in recent years
    Rouge 1

I was never really into Trek. Was a bit before my time I guess. However I did really enjoy the one that came out in 2009, & then thought cumberbatch killed his role in the sequel. I never saw the 3rd one.

The third one was bad. First 2 were pretty good. Kind of lost the heart and soul of what star trek was really. Good movies though.

Qapla‘

I said original cast!

😅

What the hell I didn't even know that was out yet!
    Rouge 1

The third one was bad. First 2 were pretty good. Kind of lost the heart and soul of what star trek was really. Good movies though.

Never liked the Star Trek Reboot by JJ. First one was ok. Never liked the rest. If you want more Star Trek outside of the Original series and movies look to the Next Generation. All the episodes for both are on netflix.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

Rouge 1

Never liked the Star Trek Reboot by JJ. First one was ok. Never liked the rest. If you want more Star Trek outside of the Original series and movies look to the Next Generation. All the episodes for both are on netflix.

Yeah I have seen all TNG and Voyager and most of Enterprise. I actually am not at all into the original series even though I do enjoy the movies a lot. Basically any sci-fi that are pre-star wars a new hope, I don't really enjoy because the special effects are just so bad haha. Except I did actually like some of the old lost in space episodes, weirdly.

TNG and Voyager are the best of all the series I think. Could never really get into deep space nine and lost interest in Enterprise after a while.
    Rouge 1

Yeah I have seen all TNG and Voyager and most of Enterprise. I actually am not at all into the original series even though I do enjoy the movies a lot. Basically any sci-fi that are pre-star wars a new hope, I don't really enjoy because the special effects are just so bad haha. Except I did actually like some of the old lost in space episodes, weirdly.

TNG and Voyager are the best of all the series I think. Could never really get into deep space nine and lost interest in Enterprise after a while.

Never got into DS9 and Enterprise. They remastered the Original series on Netflix. Its not that bad tbh and the story is excellent. I highly recommend it.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

Rouge 1

Never got into DS9 and Enterprise. They remastered the Original series on Netflix. Its not that bad tbh and the story is excellent. I highly recommend it.

Yeah I tried the remastered version, I still couldn't get into it haha
    Rouge 1

Yeah I tried the remastered version, I still couldn't get into it haha

Ouch. Your missing out the the best Star Trek action

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

Qapla‘

I said original cast!

😅

Good to know. Thx
    Rouge 1

Exactly.

Rouge 1

Rouge 1

Enterprise was pretty annoying at the beginning but it really got better until it got cancelled. Also it has T‘Pol in it 👌🏻

DS9 might be the most underrated series of them all, at that time we had the luxury to choose between Voyager and DS9, so I watched it after it finished. I didn’t care too much for some story aspects, but the war with the Dominion is simply awesome, also the first time we had story arcs over a whole season in a ST series. I can really recommend it if you haven’t watched it.

To me the only thing that captures the spirit of Star Trek right now is the Orville. It’s really great.
    Highly recommended 👍🏻

Qapla‘

I said original cast!

😅

Good to know. Thx
    Rouge 1

Exactly.

Rouge 1

Rouge 1

Enterprise was pretty annoying at the beginning but it really got better until it got cancelled. Also it has T‘Pol in it 👌🏻

DS9 might be the most underrated series of them all, at that time we had the luxury to choose between Voyager and DS9, so I watched it after it finished. I didn’t care too much for some story aspects, but the war with the Dominion is simply awesome, also the first time we had story arcs over a whole season in a ST series. I can really recommend it if you haven’t watched it.

To me the only thing that captures the spirit of Star Trek right now is the Orville. It’s really great.
    Highly recommended 👍🏻

Haha yeah T'Pol is a weapon. Seven of nine is the hottest thing ever in star trek though haha.

I do hear the dominion war is pretty good. Maybe it takes a few episodes to get into DS9. I watched the first one and didn't enjoy it that much. Something about voyager and TNG and how they're always on the move is perhaps a major drawing factor.

Yes the Orville is really great. Seth MacFarlane is a huge Trekkie, so he's doing the genre justice. For the first season I was worried it was going to focus way too much on jokes, but the second season reigned that in a bit and focused more on storyline. Very good decision. It's a great show and has a lot of potential.
  • This is an unholy abomination thread. Star Trek on a Star Wars forum???

j6r4r4k5y4kk.jpg
    The strongest defense is a swift and decisive offense.

h7h8ytswwwyx.jpg

Qapla‘

I said original cast!

😅

Good to know. Thx
    Rouge 1

Exactly.

Rouge 1

Rouge 1

Highly recommended 👍🏻

I love the Orville

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

Haha yeah T'Pol is a weapon. Seven of nine is the hottest thing ever in star trek though haha.

I do hear the dominion war is pretty good. Maybe it takes a few episodes to get into DS9. I watched the first one and didn't enjoy it that much. Something about voyager and TNG and how they're always on the move is perhaps a major drawing factor.

Yes the Orville is really great. Seth MacFarlane is a huge Trekkie, so he's doing the genre justice. For the first season I was worried it was going to focus way too much on jokes, but the second season reigned that in a bit and focused more on storyline. Very good decision. It's a great show and has a lot of potential.

Takes a couple seasons for DS9. Once Sisko becomes a captain and Worf joins it picks if, if I'm remembering correctly. Early on it was all Bajoran religious stuff, which didn't appeal to me.
  • Haha yeah T'Pol is a weapon. Seven of nine is the hottest thing ever in star trek though haha.

Takes a couple seasons for DS9. Once Sisko becomes a captain and Worf joins it picks if, if I'm remembering correctly. Early on it was all Bajoran religious stuff, which didn't appeal to me.

I screwed up the quoting, can't edit your own posts? Lame...
  • ROMG4
    4103 posts Member
    polarition wrote: »
    This is an unholy abomination thread. Star Trek on a Star Wars forum???

j6r4r4k5y4kk.jpg

gene-roddenberry-george-lucas.jpg
    tenor.gif?itemid=11278092

Oh I didn't know worf was in it. That brings a new level of interest to it for me.
  • Kirk, Spock and McCoy are maybe the greatest trio in the history of film haha They all play off each other amazingly and are hilarious and yet are also so effective in the serious scenes. I can't think of people who are better suited to each other in movies than those 3.

Maybe Harry and Lloyd Christmas?

Qapla‘

I said original cast!

😅

Good to know. Thx
    Rouge 1

Exactly.

Rouge 1

Rouge 1

Highly recommended 👍🏻

Seven of nine? The one above all.

I believe it takes maybe 4 seasons of DS9 to turn things really up, didn’t mind the religious stuff at the beginning, didn’t care for it at the end. Other than that it’s awesome. Also it portrays the Ferengi as much more fun than in TNG. I thought a space series located at a fixed place would be boring- but it’s not.

Qapla‘

I said original cast!

😅

Good to know. Thx
    Rouge 1

Exactly.

Rouge 1

Rouge 1

Highly recommended 👍🏻

I believe it takes maybe 4 seasons of DS9 to turn things really up, didn’t mind the religious stuff at the beginning, didn’t care for it at the end. Other than that it’s awesome. Also it portrays the Ferengi as much more fun than in TNG. I thought a space series located at a fixed place would be boring- but it’s not.

Is that a question about seven being the hottest? Haha because yes she definitely is, if that was a question.

Hmmm, 4 seasons to get into a show is a bit much for me haha.

Qapla‘

I said original cast!

😅

Good to know. Thx
    Rouge 1

Exactly.

Rouge 1

Rouge 1

Highly recommended 👍🏻

Is that a question about seven being the hottest? Haha because yes she definitely is, if that was a question.

Hmmm, 4 seasons to get into a show is a bit much for me haha.

Of course Seven of Nine is the hottest. She wears a skin tight suit. By god who wouldn't find that hot. It was hot when Troi wore it in TNG

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2