criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

St is the best trilogy cmv

Prev13
Cane_danko
1628 posts Member
Cmv (change my view) the sequel trilogy is the best trilogy. The main reason people complain about it are pretty much the same reasons people complained about the prequels when they aired. It was not the star wars they remember or wanted. What did the people want? I don’t think they know as it is easy to criticize but hard to create. And just like hollywood pushing their own agendas, fans themselves have their own perspective in how they think the world should be and this shows in their criticisms of rey. They say she is invincible because why? She beats a wounded kylo in a duel? Only after being over come with her own rage and focusing the force into that emotion (luke did the same thing to vader). Anakin was pwning aliens left and right as a preteen in an extreme pod racing sport that wasn’t even possible for humans to pilot.

Snoke dies without revealing backstory. People are outraged. There will never be a writing class that says you have to follow this trope. As a matter of fact it will be encouraged you break tropes and pave your own way (just as rj did).

Lastly, luke skywalker’s transition to a grumpy old man was fitting for his character because it made him flawed. Being flawed makes a character better. Having an idealized version of these characters leads to predictability and cheesy fan service. This was the opposite of what luke became. When he dies, he dies without striking a blow against kylo aspiring to what he intended to do on death star 2 when he faced both palpatine and vader. He goes out in the most underrated and under appreciated way possible.

Replies

  • Cane_danko
    1628 posts Member
    edited March 3
    By troll if you mean i am one yes i am. This post is serious. Just a discussion please though. And be respectful. K thanks!
  • Feelee16
    2231 posts Member
    edited March 4
    I disliked the ST the most sadly. Whole thing felt like they didn't have a full plan for what they were going to do at all and in the end left basically all Skywalkers dead and half the fan base torn again. Not a good deal imo.
    ur9uulae4dqx.gif
  • Cane_danko
    1628 posts Member
    Feelee16 wrote: »
    I disliked the ST the most sadly. Whole thing felt like they didn't have a full plan for what they were going to do at all and in the end left basically all Skywalkers dead and half the fan base torn again. Not a good deal imo.

    I am sorry you didn’t like it. I think it wasn’t fully planned also. Then again, i don’t think the originals were fully planned either. I think with the sequels it comes off a bit more jarring because rian johnson’s style is so different than jj abrams. I also think some decisions were made by kathleen kennedy and others at disney (like palpatine returning). George lucas had the advantage of those were his movies and he could make them the way he wanted. Of course, a lot of people say that it went to his head on the prequels and they hate those movies with a passion. I just can’t bring myself to hate any star wars movie like that. I find problems in all of them but they don’t detract from my enjoyment of the films. When i watch a movie like alien or blade runner i am just like oh wow this was done so well! Masterpiece! I don’t get that feeling from star wars. When i watch star wars its more like watching indiana jones or even a marvel movie. There are so many things i just overlook because star wars is pretty childish. Even rogue one which is geared for adults has that scene with vader and all it is for is to bring out the kid in us. It’s fan serve but that is why we watch these movies for moments like that. I don’t know why people give the avengers movies a pass but are so critical of star wars. I honestly don’t have a high opinion of fandoms. In fact it is very very low. That is why i am glad i am not in a position of making these films because my mouth would get me in so much trouble for condescending the fans.
  • Feelee16
    2231 posts Member
    Really wish jj went another direction with the ST. Having the FO destroy the New Republic in one attack didn't feel right imo. To this day I'm still not sure how no one knew that this base was being built or how that didn't know how much of a threat the FO really was. Then after it was basically more rebels vs empire which was seen already.

    The avenger movies imo didn't really have the issues SW had such as being as good as the originals and it does a pretty good job of making it seem like it was planned out to many then SW did.
    ur9uulae4dqx.gif
  • Batman20
    2742 posts Member
    Why should I change ur mind if that's what you think fair enough but ST is nowhere near the quality of the OT though. The ST just copies to much the force awakens is a remake of a new hope. With ep9 kylo turning good is to similar to vader in return. Even the last jedi is similar to empire with the first order on top and the resistance fleeing like with the rebels in empire who were fleeing the empire after the battle of hoth when they were on top. Rey is just a boring character and nowhere near as likeable as luke. Kylo is also a boring character and the romance they had was awful and so forced. Snoke was completely wasted he served no purpose at all. Bringing Palpatine back was pointless just to kill him again. I wasn't a fan of the way luke was handled. I understand characters change but he felt nothing like luke from the OT at all they were like completely different characters. I could go on but I would be writing forever
  • Cane_danko
    1628 posts Member
    Batman20 wrote: »
    Why should I change ur mind if that's what you think fair enough but ST is nowhere near the quality of the OT though. The ST just copies to much the force awakens is a remake of a new hope. With ep9 kylo turning good is to similar to vader in return. Even the last jedi is similar to empire with the first order on top and the resistance fleeing like with the rebels in empire who were fleeing the empire after the battle of hoth when they were on top. Rey is just a boring character and nowhere near as likeable as luke. Kylo is also a boring character and the romance they had was awful and so forced. Snoke was completely wasted he served no purpose at all. Bringing Palpatine back was pointless just to kill him again. I wasn't a fan of the way luke was handled. I understand characters change but he felt nothing like luke from the OT at all they were like completely different characters. I could go on but I would be writing forever

    If by quality i assume you mean writing. The acting, special effects, set design, and everything else is laughable in comparison. And i give you that tfa copied anh. That only goes so far. But saying tlj copied empire is innaccurate. It has more similarities to rotj than it does esb and even then that argument will take you only so far.
  • Batman20
    2742 posts Member
    edited March 4
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Batman20 wrote: »
    Why should I change ur mind if that's what you think fair enough but ST is nowhere near the quality of the OT though. The ST just copies to much the force awakens is a remake of a new hope. With ep9 kylo turning good is to similar to vader in return. Even the last jedi is similar to empire with the first order on top and the resistance fleeing like with the rebels in empire who were fleeing the empire after the battle of hoth when they were on top. Rey is just a boring character and nowhere near as likeable as luke. Kylo is also a boring character and the romance they had was awful and so forced. Snoke was completely wasted he served no purpose at all. Bringing Palpatine back was pointless just to kill him again. I wasn't a fan of the way luke was handled. I understand characters change but he felt nothing like luke from the OT at all they were like completely different characters. I could go on but I would be writing forever

    If by quality i assume you mean writing. The acting, special effects, set design, and everything else is laughable in comparison. And i give you that tfa copied anh. That only goes so far. But saying tlj copied empire is innaccurate. It has more similarities to rotj than it does esb and even then that argument will take you only so far.

    I'm not saying the last jedi was a ripoff like the force awakens just pointing out how much the new ST borrowed from the OT throughout all 3 films. Obviously special effects and stuff like that will be better now but that's not really fair to compare films from the 70s and 80s to films made now with how much more advanced stuff like special effects are compared to then. But what I mean when OT is better is the overall story and characters are just miles ahead of the ST luke is better than rey, Palpatine and vader are more interesting villains compared to kylo and snoke, leia, han and lando are better characters than poe and finn.The music is also better in the OT and the films are far more entertaining and alot easier to rewatch. I could rewatch empire strikes back a million times but could you rewatch the last jedi that many times definitely not. Plus the OT story is setup alot better throughout the 3 films compared to the ST. You haven't really given a proper reason for saying the ST is better other than pointing out that the film has better special effects and set design which I don't think are things people rate highly when judging a star wars film. The most important thing is the story and the characters and that's where the OT slaughter the ST
  • GenxDarchi
    8044 posts Member
    Eh, the Sequels were like an updated graphics OT but with way less significant direction and less character growth and satisfying moments. The Last Jedi has too many holes in the plot along with pis to make it work for me, and TROS had to recycle the Emperor again which just was lazy IMO. OT trilogy for its time is a well written story, PT was CGI overboard, and ST was just rehash of the OT with less of what made the OT good, and no real vision of where the story was going to end.
    You guys are gonna make me rich......
    Xbox G-tag
    XJO461
    That Specialist rework was disappointing.
    nceaq2h23fqj.png



  • Sad_History
    239 posts Member
    edited March 4
    They grow on you. Grumpy Luke and ridiculous Rey are no more annoying than other annoyance in the galaxy.

    Even if TLJ contains some of the worst scenes in the saga it also contains some of the best. It's bold and feels real.

    TFA has some of the best sceneries of all Star Wars. The majestic wreck of a star destroyer, the icy forest, the glowing red light on Kylos helmet after firing the planet killer, Hux speech and the iconic ending on Ahch-To.
  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    Batman20 wrote: »
    Why should I change ur mind if that's what you think fair enough but ST is nowhere near the quality of the OT though. The ST just copies to much the force awakens is a remake of a new hope. With ep9 kylo turning good is to similar to vader in return. Even the last jedi is similar to empire with the first order on top and the resistance fleeing like with the rebels in empire who were fleeing the empire after the battle of hoth when they were on top. Rey is just a boring character and nowhere near as likeable as luke. Kylo is also a boring character and the romance they had was awful and so forced. Snoke was completely wasted he served no purpose at all. Bringing Palpatine back was pointless just to kill him again. I wasn't a fan of the way luke was handled. I understand characters change but he felt nothing like luke from the OT at all they were like completely different characters. I could go on but I would be writing forever

    If by quality i assume you mean writing. The acting, special effects, set design, and everything else is laughable in comparison. And i give you that tfa copied anh. That only goes so far. But saying tlj copied empire is innaccurate. It has more similarities to rotj than it does esb and even then that argument will take you only so far.

    You mean the special effects that revolutionized the special effects industry and led to some of the greatest special effects of all time?
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    vuguzqzbjxrh.png
  • parasite
    505 posts Member
    It lacked world building, I found the hosnian prime system and the new republic interesting , but we got nothing about it
  • Cane_danko
    1628 posts Member
    I’ve watched tlj sooooo many times. I love that movie. Rey, finn, and kylo are more interesting to me than the ot characters. Unless i count them in the st then their characters are awesome. Luke especially.
  • Feelee16
    2231 posts Member
    edited March 5
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    I’ve watched tlj sooooo many times. I love that movie. Rey, finn, and kylo are more interesting to me than the ot characters. Unless i count them in the st then their characters are awesome. Luke especially.

    Luke is gross in tlj imo. The EU for many years shown him as a very powerful Jedi master of the order then suddenly all of that was gone and he was turned into a hermit. Pretty sad for me
    ur9uulae4dqx.gif
  • Cane_danko
    1628 posts Member
    Eu was fun but bad. Luke falls in love with a ship. Chewy dies. The best thing is the thrawn books but we got that in the new stuff.
  • Feelee16
    2231 posts Member
    edited March 5
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Eu was fun but bad. Luke falls in love with a ship. Chewy dies. The best thing is the thrawn books but we got that in the new stuff.

    Really enjoyed Revan and the old republic. Luke in canon now just doesn't seem right to me. He seems off
    ur9uulae4dqx.gif
  • Cane_danko
    1628 posts Member
    Feelee16 wrote: »
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Eu was fun but bad. Luke falls in love with a ship. Chewy dies. The best thing is the thrawn books but we got that in the new stuff.

    Really enjoyed Revan and the old republic. Luke in canon now just doesn't seem right to me. He seems off

    Yeah i enjoy those games too. I still play them from time to time. As far as luke i get some people don’t like how his character turned out. That’s understandable. I just think its pretentious when people call it bad writing because it didn’t turn out the way they want. Most people i talk to about it all wanted him to go ham as soon as he hears han was killed by kylo. I just think that would have been predictable and make a not so good movie.
  • Feelee16
    2231 posts Member
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Feelee16 wrote: »
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Eu was fun but bad. Luke falls in love with a ship. Chewy dies. The best thing is the thrawn books but we got that in the new stuff.

    Really enjoyed Revan and the old republic. Luke in canon now just doesn't seem right to me. He seems off

    Yeah i enjoy those games too. I still play them from time to time. As far as luke i get some people don’t like how his character turned out. That’s understandable. I just think its pretentious when people call it bad writing because it didn’t turn out the way they want. Most people i talk to about it all wanted him to go ham as soon as he hears han was killed by kylo. I just think that would have been predictable and make a not so good movie.

    I would've actually liked Luke more if had more action. Would've shown how far he's come in power and knowledge. Sure it would've been predictable but that isn't really bad imo. Avengers Endgame for example. It's predictable that everyone would come back and the avengers would eventually win but it's still pretty interesting and engaging as they go along. I think the same could've been done with Luke, it also would've definitely pleased the fans that's been waiting to see Luke in action after so many years too. Couldn't really see it taking much from Rey's character either but that's just me.
    ur9uulae4dqx.gif
  • Cane_danko
    1628 posts Member
    edited March 5
    Feelee16 wrote: »
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Feelee16 wrote: »
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Eu was fun but bad. Luke falls in love with a ship. Chewy dies. The best thing is the thrawn books but we got that in the new stuff.

    Really enjoyed Revan and the old republic. Luke in canon now just doesn't seem right to me. He seems off

    Yeah i enjoy those games too. I still play them from time to time. As far as luke i get some people don’t like how his character turned out. That’s understandable. I just think its pretentious when people call it bad writing because it didn’t turn out the way they want. Most people i talk to about it all wanted him to go ham as soon as he hears han was killed by kylo. I just think that would have been predictable and make a not so good movie.

    I would've actually liked Luke more if had more action. Would've shown how far he's come in power and knowledge. Sure it would've been predictable but that isn't really bad imo. Avengers Endgame for example. It's predictable that everyone would come back and the avengers would eventually win but it's still pretty interesting and engaging as they go along. I think the same could've been done with Luke, it also would've definitely pleased the fans that's been waiting to see Luke in action after so many years too. Couldn't really see it taking much from Rey's character either but that's just me.

    I thought endgame was pretty cheesy. It had some cool moments to be sure but overall i didn’t care for a lot of it. Infinity war was better but even that was something i only watched one time and haven’t had a desire to rewatch.

    Edit: i will also say there is nothing wrong with wanting the movies to go in a different direction. I respect that opinion. I just don’t respect when people call it bad writing because they don’t like it.
  • Feelee16
    2231 posts Member
    True. Some call it bad writing for multiple reasons though. For example Rey getting knowledge from Kylo Ren when they touched hands, that in the film wasn't really clear but was explained in the novel I think. People might consider that bad writing because of the belief that novels shouldn't fill in important parts of a movie and that it should be in the movie already. Also the explanation of how the Raddus was able to hyper space into an enemy ship and why others ships couldn't, why Leia could survive in space, etc. there are some things that people see as continuity issues as well such as the different Saber blade ignition sounds between TFA and TLJ that wasn't explained. It's a lot and could be seen as nitpicking but SW fans really care about that stuff.
    ur9uulae4dqx.gif
  • Revan72
    1113 posts Member
    edited March 5
    I didn't really like the ST. To me it was pretty boring and sometimes pretty cringey. The only character out of the new ones that I sorta liked was Kylo Ren. I couldn't stand Rey half the time. Her character was just bland and uncompelling, and often times annoying. And no offence to Daisy Ridley, but I don't think she can act very well. Overall, I think the trilogy was poorly written. Had so much potential, and there were so many wasted opportunities. Could have been so much better.

    If Disney wanted to make their own unique version of Star Wars they should have left the OT alone. The trilogy should have had little to no connection to it

    But each to their own. OP, if you like the ST, that's fine. This is just my opinion.
    "Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul." - Kreia

    "Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone." - Darth Malak


  • Cane_danko
    1628 posts Member
    Feelee16 wrote: »
    True. Some call it bad writing for multiple reasons though. For example Rey getting knowledge from Kylo Ren when they touched hands, that in the film wasn't really clear but was explained in the novel I think. People might consider that bad writing because of the belief that novels shouldn't fill in important parts of a movie and that it should be in the movie already. Also the explanation of how the Raddus was able to hyper space into an enemy ship and why others ships couldn't, why Leia could survive in space, etc. there are some things that people see as continuity issues as well such as the different Saber blade ignition sounds between TFA and TLJ that wasn't explained. It's a lot and could be seen as nitpicking but SW fans really care about that stuff.

    Yeah i get it. Most of those things do have explanations though. That brings me to my next criticism of the critics. They don’t apply the same level of reasoning to the other star wars movies. For instance, i use snoke dying without backstory because it is always brought up. The same thing happened to palpatine in rotj. As a matter of fact, i don’t even think he was palpatine at that point. Just “the emperor”. Those types of arguments are hypocritical to me. When people frame their argument in a way “i thought we deserved an explanation.” Or “i would have liked knowing a little as to why...” that makes it more personal and i can relate to that more than disguising it as something like bad writing and plot holes which those things are by definition not that.
  • Batman20
    2742 posts Member
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    I’ve watched tlj sooooo many times. I love that movie. Rey, finn, and kylo are more interesting to me than the ot characters. Unless i count them in the st then their characters are awesome. Luke especially.

    I know it's ur opinion but how could anyone think boring rey is more interesting than luke. And finn a pointless character who should have died in the last jedi was better than lando or han. And really is kylo more interesting than vader or Palpatine I just don't see how you could think that
  • bfloo
    17090 posts Member
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Feelee16 wrote: »
    True. Some call it bad writing for multiple reasons though. For example Rey getting knowledge from Kylo Ren when they touched hands, that in the film wasn't really clear but was explained in the novel I think. People might consider that bad writing because of the belief that novels shouldn't fill in important parts of a movie and that it should be in the movie already. Also the explanation of how the Raddus was able to hyper space into an enemy ship and why others ships couldn't, why Leia could survive in space, etc. there are some things that people see as continuity issues as well such as the different Saber blade ignition sounds between TFA and TLJ that wasn't explained. It's a lot and could be seen as nitpicking but SW fans really care about that stuff.

    Yeah i get it. Most of those things do have explanations though. That brings me to my next criticism of the critics. They don’t apply the same level of reasoning to the other star wars movies. For instance, i use snoke dying without backstory because it is always brought up. The same thing happened to palpatine in rotj. As a matter of fact, i don’t even think he was palpatine at that point. Just “the emperor”. Those types of arguments are hypocritical to me. When people frame their argument in a way “i thought we deserved an explanation.” Or “i would have liked knowing a little as to why...” that makes it more personal and i can relate to that more than disguising it as something like bad writing and plot holes which those things are by definition not that.

    Palps being the one person Vader feared carried a lot of weight. Vader was always a credible villain. crylo's heart was never in it, so we didn't have a bad guy to feel like a legit threat. Snoke's death also just felt worthless, at least Palp's death led to Vader's redemption. If they had given us Palps full story, the PT would have gone over even worse, how Palps pulled it off off was a bigger question than how did Anakin become Vader.

    We've never denied the OT and PT had plot holes, most movies do.

    My gripe with the ST was more the time frame that they used. The clone wars and GCW both lasted years, yet the FO, with their inept leadership, managed to take over in a week! Every other Star Wars film had gaps of time between them, which they addressed mentioning things that happened briefly in between.

    Some basic flaws I see in the ST, which could have made it work better

    1 - The FO should not have captured Rey, a rescue mission for Poe or BB-8 would have worked better.

    2 - Rey and crylo should not have dueled in TFA. If they left him taking the shot from Chewie, then taking down Finn, he'd have been left as a threat going into TLJ. I get the argument that he was injured, but crylo losing to an untrained Rey put him into TLJ with a 'Not a threat' label.

    3 - Rey should not have found Luke at the end of TFA, this became a problem with Finn and crylo recovering immediately from injuries, because the time frame was forced. The back injury Finn had should have taken more than a week to heal.

    3a - They could have avoided the time issue if they had portrayed Rey being there a while, either being trained by Luke, or taking the time to convince him she was worth training.

    4 - They should not have had Luke cut himself off from the Force. Luke always sulked when he failed, but they took it too far.

    5 - New Republic Forces should have joined with the Resistance, or at least had contact, the ENTIRE New Republic being taken out in 1 shot was awful.

    6 - Ep 9 should not have had them running all over the Galaxy, with a 14 hour window to get every thing done, it made the Galaxy feel tiny. ANH implied it took time to travel from point A to point B, even the space chase in TLJ implied it took time to get front point A to point B, but at other times it was nearly instantaneous depending on what the plot needed.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

    Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

    h846398gb27k.png


  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    Feelee16 wrote: »
    True. Some call it bad writing for multiple reasons though. For example Rey getting knowledge from Kylo Ren when they touched hands, that in the film wasn't really clear but was explained in the novel I think. People might consider that bad writing because of the belief that novels shouldn't fill in important parts of a movie and that it should be in the movie already. Also the explanation of how the Raddus was able to hyper space into an enemy ship and why others ships couldn't, why Leia could survive in space, etc. there are some things that people see as continuity issues as well such as the different Saber blade ignition sounds between TFA and TLJ that wasn't explained. It's a lot and could be seen as nitpicking but SW fans really care about that stuff.

    Yeah i get it. Most of those things do have explanations though. That brings me to my next criticism of the critics. They don’t apply the same level of reasoning to the other star wars movies. For instance, i use snoke dying without backstory because it is always brought up. The same thing happened to palpatine in rotj. As a matter of fact, i don’t even think he was palpatine at that point. Just “the emperor”. Those types of arguments are hypocritical to me. When people frame their argument in a way “i thought we deserved an explanation.” Or “i would have liked knowing a little as to why...” that makes it more personal and i can relate to that more than disguising it as something like bad writing and plot holes which those things are by definition not that.

    I dunno, I kinda wanted some backstory for the guy responsible for the ending of the OT being overruled and the ST even existing.

    Seriously, he leads the First Order, caused Kylo's fall and Luke to go run away, and is responsible for the drastic change in the galaxy between ROTJ and TFA.

    We need some explanation.
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    vuguzqzbjxrh.png
  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    Cmv (change my view) the sequel trilogy is the best trilogy. The main reason people complain about it are pretty much the same reasons people complained about the prequels when they aired. It was not the star wars they remember or wanted. What did the people want? I don’t think they know as it is easy to criticize but hard to create. And just like hollywood pushing their own agendas, fans themselves have their own perspective in how they think the world should be and this shows in their criticisms of rey. They say she is invincible because why? She beats a wounded kylo in a duel? Only after being over come with her own rage and focusing the force into that emotion (luke did the same thing to vader). Anakin was pwning aliens left and right as a preteen in an extreme pod racing sport that wasn’t even possible for humans to pilot.

    Snoke dies without revealing backstory. People are outraged. There will never be a writing class that says you have to follow this trope. As a matter of fact it will be encouraged you break tropes and pave your own way (just as rj did).

    Lastly, luke skywalker’s transition to a grumpy old man was fitting for his character because it made him flawed. Being flawed makes a character better. Having an idealized version of these characters leads to predictability and cheesy fan service. This was the opposite of what luke became. When he dies, he dies without striking a blow against kylo aspiring to what he intended to do on death star 2 when he faced both palpatine and vader. He goes out in the most underrated and under appreciated way possible.

    I had a paragraph written about how I think it doesnt line up with canon in some ways and how some things dont make sense and fighting you, but that doesnt matter, if you think it's the best than that's good, Disney made someone happy, I know that no matter what I say you will still love it and no matter what you say I will still hate it, we have our own opinions, neither are wrong, just different, so I won't fight you on it, you like it, I hate it, that's all. My opinion is OT is the best but PT is also really good.
  • rollind24
    6023 posts Member
    They grow on you. Grumpy Luke and ridiculous Rey are no more annoying than other annoyance in the galaxy.

    Even if TLJ contains some of the worst scenes in the saga it also contains some of the best. It's bold and feels real.

    TFA has some of the best sceneries of all Star Wars. The majestic wreck of a star destroyer, the icy forest, the glowing red light on Kylos helmet after firing the planet killer, Hux speech and the iconic ending on Ahch-To.

    Frankly grumpy Luke is a ST highlight for me 🤷‍♂️
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Cane_danko
    1628 posts Member
    Thanks for everyone’s opinion on this topic. We all have a personal connection to star wars so i think that is what drives our passions when talking about it.

    As far as why i like the sequels so much i will start with rey who i feel does not get the respect she deserves. The thing that seperates rey and luke, at least for me, is their attitudes and overall outlook on life. Luke has a pretty good life compared to rey. Yet, he is always complaining about being stuck on tatooine and his situation he finds himself in. Rey is the opposite. She has a hard life. Her backstory is that of a villain. Yet, she remains positive. Throughout her journey she is constantly faced with things that challenge her perspective but she always remains hopeful for the future and in people. This is something that resonates with me on a deep level. It is something i aspire to achieve though often times i fail and end up like kylo always questioning those who came before me and just having a negative outlook on life and people. I have had a hard life myself and growing up i look at rey’s story as someone maybe i could have been had i not been so critical of everyone even though i know they don’t have the best intentions. Rey also believes in second chances (as did luke) and i feel that most of us fall short of that. I could go in more depth about her character but this is just something i want to get out there.
  • ROMG4
    4726 posts Member
    rollind24 wrote: »
    They grow on you. Grumpy Luke and ridiculous Rey are no more annoying than other annoyance in the galaxy.

    Even if TLJ contains some of the worst scenes in the saga it also contains some of the best. It's bold and feels real.

    TFA has some of the best sceneries of all Star Wars. The majestic wreck of a star destroyer, the icy forest, the glowing red light on Kylos helmet after firing the planet killer, Hux speech and the iconic ending on Ahch-To.

    Frankly grumpy Luke is a ST highlight for me 🤷‍♂️

    fguj54h76lqb.png
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

    OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

    Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/152598/the-oom-9-vs-jar-jar-season

    Episode 9's Ending
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025735/uploads/editor/15/zs312vl0xftg.jpeg
  • Cane_danko
    1628 posts Member
    Grumpy luke is the best luke. Self deprecating as we all should be.
  • rollind24
    6023 posts Member
    ROMG4 wrote: »
    rollind24 wrote: »
    They grow on you. Grumpy Luke and ridiculous Rey are no more annoying than other annoyance in the galaxy.

    Even if TLJ contains some of the worst scenes in the saga it also contains some of the best. It's bold and feels real.

    TFA has some of the best sceneries of all Star Wars. The majestic wreck of a star destroyer, the icy forest, the glowing red light on Kylos helmet after firing the planet killer, Hux speech and the iconic ending on Ahch-To.

    Frankly grumpy Luke is a ST highlight for me 🤷‍♂️

    fguj54h76lqb.png

    p3iknfh6f2nl.gif
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • @Cane_danko
    I have to agree with you that endgame was really cheesy and meh. I liked infinty war better
  • parasite wrote: »
    @Cane_danko
    I have to agree with you that endgame was really cheesy and meh. I liked infinty war better

    It’s an unpopular opinion. Captain is my favorite avenger but when he started using mjolnir i’m like really... i also thought the time travel thing was pretty cheap. There were still moments in there i liked but overall i thought it was an overrated flick. People went nuts over it and i just can’t help but feel that the mass audience just loves to consume mindless fan service. Something that i do not.
  • Yeah it was enjoyable but not something to go nuts over
  • parasite wrote: »
    Yeah it was enjoyable but not something to go nuts over

    Marvel does have some good ones that i do like. Winter soldier and both guardians of the galaxy and thor ragnarok are all extremely rewatchable for me.
  • Feelee16
    2231 posts Member
    edited March 7
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    parasite wrote: »
    @Cane_danko
    I have to agree with you that endgame was really cheesy and meh. I liked infinty war better

    It’s an unpopular opinion. Captain is my favorite avenger but when he started using mjolnir i’m like really... i also thought the time travel thing was pretty cheap. There were still moments in there i liked but overall i thought it was an overrated flick.

    I agree, time travel was pretty cheap and it was pretty overrated overall imo. Gotta hand it to them though, they hyped people up and pulled it off satisfying most which is pretty surprising imo.
    Post edited by Feelee16 on
    ur9uulae4dqx.gif
  • Cane_danko
    1628 posts Member
    Feelee16 wrote: »
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    parasite wrote: »
    @Cane_danko
    I have to agree with you that endgame was really cheesy and meh. I liked infinty war better

    It’s an unpopular opinion. Captain is my favorite avenger but when he started using mjolnir i’m like really... i also thought the time travel thing was pretty cheap. There were still moments in there i liked but overall i thought it was an overrated flick.

    I agree, time travel was pretty cheap and it was pretty overrated overall imo. Gotta hand it to them though, they hyped people up and pulled it off satisfying most which is pretty surprising imo.

    The “i am iron man” part was really cool. I actually thought it was cool when captain marvel came in and destroyed their space ship. I don’t really follow all the controversy with her enough to care. And the fact that she wasn’t in the movie more didn’t bother me. All in all it was a good movie for me but i just think it is overpraised.
  • Sad_History
    239 posts Member
    edited March 9
    For us ST fans - Lor San Tekka (Max von Sydow) has died.

    https://variety.com/2020/film/actors/seventh-seal-star-wars-actor-max-von-sydow-dies-at-90-1203527411/

    He was one of the greatest swedish actors and a personal favorite of mine. May God remember him in the resurrection.
  • Cane_danko
    1628 posts Member
    For us ST fans - Lor San Tekka (Max von Sydow) has died.

    https://variety.com/2020/film/actors/seventh-seal-star-wars-actor-max-von-sydow-dies-at-90-1203527411/

    He was one of the greatest swedish actors and a personal favorite of mine. May God remember him in the resurrection.

    Wow, i always thought he was english. Sad that he passed. I remember him from a few other things besides star wars.
  • parasite
    505 posts Member
    Oh wow didnt know he passed, thats sad.

    About the i am irom man, i didnt like it to much, same as i am the jedi
  • parasite wrote: »
    Oh wow didnt know he passed, thats sad.

    About the i am irom man, i didnt like it to much, same as i am the jedi

    Not an ozzy fan i take it?
  • SrawDawg
    1110 posts Member
    Change your view that the ST is not the best one. I don't know if I can do that hehe.

    When I first saw TFA I guess I did see it as sort of generic and had stereotypical views of the characters. Like Rey was essentially a female Luke with instant force mastery. But then I considered that there are those that just walk up to a piano and play and then those that go to a school for it. I then saw Rey as like the natural and Kylo is the one that went to school.

    But the characters of Anakin, Luke, and Rey are all oddly similar. They grow up in a desert in a condition of poverty and slavery. They have the mentors and influences that hover in the background and then their lives are quickly catapulted to their destiny.

    Possibly the way things are laid out influence how they ultimately turn or not.

    I do not ultimately understand the need to bring in the OT characters just to kill them off. Or slightly alter the look of things like stormtroopers, x wings, at ats at sts etc etc....maybe its toy contracts and patents or something?

    So for that aspect It could have just been alternate universe bla bla. So then it could be like yeah there is a death star.....though we wont call it that............yeah there is an Empire though we wont call it that.


    But it seems the ultimate goal is to free slaves. From an oppressive regime that promises order out of chaos......but is ultimately evil and full of corruption. While playing this game I saw that aspect more than the films, I saw the death stars and star killer not just as weapons but places to put slaves.

    After playing this game for two years I did warm up some to those ST characters. But the best trilogy? Naw man no way! lol

    I think the OT was the best and that is just me and age and youth probably effect my judgement some, I would put the prequels next, and then the ST. I'm basing that on the characters, drama, originality, stories, etc.

  • SrawDawg wrote: »
    Change your view that the ST is not the best one. I don't know if I can do that hehe.

    When I first saw TFA I guess I did see it as sort of generic and had stereotypical views of the characters. Like Rey was essentially a female Luke with instant force mastery. But then I considered that there are those that just walk up to a piano and play and then those that go to a school for it. I then saw Rey as like the natural and Kylo is the one that went to school.

    But the characters of Anakin, Luke, and Rey are all oddly similar. They grow up in a desert in a condition of poverty and slavery. They have the mentors and influences that hover in the background and then their lives are quickly catapulted to their destiny.

    Possibly the way things are laid out influence how they ultimately turn or not.

    I do not ultimately understand the need to bring in the OT characters just to kill them off. Or slightly alter the look of things like stormtroopers, x wings, at ats at sts etc etc....maybe its toy contracts and patents or something?

    So for that aspect It could have just been alternate universe bla bla. So then it could be like yeah there is a death star.....though we wont call it that............yeah there is an Empire though we wont call it that.


    But it seems the ultimate goal is to free slaves. From an oppressive regime that promises order out of chaos......but is ultimately evil and full of corruption. While playing this game I saw that aspect more than the films, I saw the death stars and star killer not just as weapons but places to put slaves.

    After playing this game for two years I did warm up some to those ST characters. But the best trilogy? Naw man no way! lol

    I think the OT was the best and that is just me and age and youth probably effect my judgement some, I would put the prequels next, and then the ST. I'm basing that on the characters, drama, originality, stories, etc.

    @SrawDawg

    Okay so i am going to offer you an alternative perspective and do with it what you will.

    The st was made with trying to recapture the magic of the ot as the prequels were scorned when they came out by a very large vocal part of the fanbase. It was disney’s attempt to say “hey, we hear you and we are going to do our best to try to please as many of you as we can”. Thus, you naturally have a lot of similarities. For me, there are enough differences in tfa from anh for me to be justified.

    As far as rey learning the force the way she did, i feel this was trying to get back to the mysticism of the force as a religion rather than magic aka more about miracles than mastery. Like if you watch obiwan and yoda training luke it is way different than how the jedi teach their padawans in the prequels. This is a thin line to walk because you have to do it without retconning what the prequels set up. Hence, they made the force a sort of presence in itself that has a mind of its own and the person just allows the force to work through them.

    The next thing is i feel the empire is essentially about oppression and authoritarianism rather than just slavery. It is about the people vs the powers that be that don’t care about the people but only power. It is also important to note that the first order is a fracture of what the empire was. After death star 2 blew up the empire broke off unto different factions fighting for power. The first order is the most radical of these groups hence why they adopted a supreme leader.

    As far as the technology goes, the starkiller base does come off as a rip off of the death star but it actually makes sense as the tech of the death star must always be exploited not unlike nuclear bombs in our own worlds. And you think how much our own tech has expanded in the past twenty years so in a more advanced society it would expand even more exponentially.

    I want to discuss these things more like this (debating rather than arguing) so let me know your thoughts bro!
  • ROMG4
    4726 posts Member
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    the sequel trilogy is the best trilogy.

    James-Donald-Madness-Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.gif
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Snoke dies without revealing backstory. People are outraged. There will never be a writing class that says you have to follow this trope. As a matter of fact it will be encouraged you break tropes and pave your own way (just as rj did).
    Of course when it comes down to it for certain characters revealing their backstory would only be a disappointment, because the mystery of who they are, how they got there, and stuff is more interesting in the viewer's mind to create

    Than to have any official reveal. Snoke doesn't work because he was poorly shown in the two movies, came in out of nowhere as the "main" villain of the new ST which is set an a established universe. Essentially they could have done it but the execution was terrible
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    I’ve watched tlj sooooo many times. I love that movie. Rey, finn, and kylo are more interesting to me than the ot characters. Unless i count them in the st then their characters are awesome. Luke especially.

    Now You've gone a Bridge too far!
    sean-1-440432.jpg
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

    OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

    Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/152598/the-oom-9-vs-jar-jar-season

    Episode 9's Ending
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025735/uploads/editor/15/zs312vl0xftg.jpeg
  • ROMG4 wrote: »
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    the sequel trilogy is the best trilogy.

    James-Donald-Madness-Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.gif
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Snoke dies without revealing backstory. People are outraged. There will never be a writing class that says you have to follow this trope. As a matter of fact it will be encouraged you break tropes and pave your own way (just as rj did).
    Of course when it comes down to it for certain characters revealing their backstory would only be a disappointment, because the mystery of who they are, how they got there, and stuff is more interesting in the viewer's mind to create

    Than to have any official reveal. Snoke doesn't work because he was poorly shown in the two movies, came in out of nowhere as the "main" villain of the new ST which is set an a established universe. Essentially they could have done it but the execution was terrible
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    I’ve watched tlj sooooo many times. I love that movie. Rey, finn, and kylo are more interesting to me than the ot characters. Unless i count them in the st then their characters are awesome. Luke especially.

    Now You've gone a Bridge too far!
    sean-1-440432.jpg

    In regards to snoke, i think it was a doomed character from the get go. By that i mean that he was nothing except a cgi palpatine. Kylo was always meant to be the main villain but he was following in vader’s footsteps as was a big part of his character arc. I think killing him off was a brilliant move by rj’s part. I do see the desire of fans to have wanted maybe a line or two of backstory first (which would have been possible despite what rj says) however i think that it was also unnecessary. His role in the first order was huge to be sure but in the story of the st he was a minor character. I think the st could have focused on world building more in the films than they chose to keep in the novels. That being said, this was a story about characters as that was what people loved about the ot and they moaned to no end about the pt having so much boring politics (which was good world building but took away from the characters). This brings me to fan outrage which i feel really put the nail in the coffin for snoke being lame as they wanted to bring palpatine back but also wanted to address snoke’s backstory in response, it was lame. He was just a created thing in a lab and he had the potential for so much more as he met the empire refugees in the unknown regions and turned them into the first order. Again, i got lots more to say so if you want to keep going give me some thoughts.
  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    SrawDawg wrote: »
    Change your view that the ST is not the best one. I don't know if I can do that hehe.

    When I first saw TFA I guess I did see it as sort of generic and had stereotypical views of the characters. Like Rey was essentially a female Luke with instant force mastery. But then I considered that there are those that just walk up to a piano and play and then those that go to a school for it. I then saw Rey as like the natural and Kylo is the one that went to school.

    But the characters of Anakin, Luke, and Rey are all oddly similar. They grow up in a desert in a condition of poverty and slavery. They have the mentors and influences that hover in the background and then their lives are quickly catapulted to their destiny.

    Possibly the way things are laid out influence how they ultimately turn or not.

    I do not ultimately understand the need to bring in the OT characters just to kill them off. Or slightly alter the look of things like stormtroopers, x wings, at ats at sts etc etc....maybe its toy contracts and patents or something?

    So for that aspect It could have just been alternate universe bla bla. So then it could be like yeah there is a death star.....though we wont call it that............yeah there is an Empire though we wont call it that.


    But it seems the ultimate goal is to free slaves. From an oppressive regime that promises order out of chaos......but is ultimately evil and full of corruption. While playing this game I saw that aspect more than the films, I saw the death stars and star killer not just as weapons but places to put slaves.

    After playing this game for two years I did warm up some to those ST characters. But the best trilogy? Naw man no way! lol

    I think the OT was the best and that is just me and age and youth probably effect my judgement some, I would put the prequels next, and then the ST. I'm basing that on the characters, drama, originality, stories, etc.

    @SrawDawg

    Okay so i am going to offer you an alternative perspective and do with it what you will.

    The st was made with trying to recapture the magic of the ot as the prequels were scorned when they came out by a very large vocal part of the fanbase. It was disney’s attempt to say “hey, we hear you and we are going to do our best to try to please as many of you as we can”. Thus, you naturally have a lot of similarities. For me, there are enough differences in tfa from anh for me to be justified.

    As far as rey learning the force the way she did, i feel this was trying to get back to the mysticism of the force as a religion rather than magic aka more about miracles than mastery. Like if you watch obiwan and yoda training luke it is way different than how the jedi teach their padawans in the prequels. This is a thin line to walk because you have to do it without retconning what the prequels set up. Hence, they made the force a sort of presence in itself that has a mind of its own and the person just allows the force to work through them.

    The next thing is i feel the empire is essentially about oppression and authoritarianism rather than just slavery. It is about the people vs the powers that be that don’t care about the people but only power. It is also important to note that the first order is a fracture of what the empire was. After death star 2 blew up the empire broke off unto different factions fighting for power. The first order is the most radical of these groups hence why they adopted a supreme leader.

    As far as the technology goes, the starkiller base does come off as a rip off of the death star but it actually makes sense as the tech of the death star must always be exploited not unlike nuclear bombs in our own worlds. And you think how much our own tech has expanded in the past twenty years so in a more advanced society it would expand even more exponentially.

    I want to discuss these things more like this (debating rather than arguing) so let me know your thoughts bro!

    Heres the reason why PT fans hate the ST. It isn't original. The PT is a new story. ST isn't. Its as simple as that.
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

    Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

    OOM-9 For Battlefront 2


  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    SrawDawg wrote: »
    Change your view that the ST is not the best one. I don't know if I can do that hehe.

    When I first saw TFA I guess I did see it as sort of generic and had stereotypical views of the characters. Like Rey was essentially a female Luke with instant force mastery. But then I considered that there are those that just walk up to a piano and play and then those that go to a school for it. I then saw Rey as like the natural and Kylo is the one that went to school.

    But the characters of Anakin, Luke, and Rey are all oddly similar. They grow up in a desert in a condition of poverty and slavery. They have the mentors and influences that hover in the background and then their lives are quickly catapulted to their destiny.

    Possibly the way things are laid out influence how they ultimately turn or not.

    I do not ultimately understand the need to bring in the OT characters just to kill them off. Or slightly alter the look of things like stormtroopers, x wings, at ats at sts etc etc....maybe its toy contracts and patents or something?

    So for that aspect It could have just been alternate universe bla bla. So then it could be like yeah there is a death star.....though we wont call it that............yeah there is an Empire though we wont call it that.


    But it seems the ultimate goal is to free slaves. From an oppressive regime that promises order out of chaos......but is ultimately evil and full of corruption. While playing this game I saw that aspect more than the films, I saw the death stars and star killer not just as weapons but places to put slaves.

    After playing this game for two years I did warm up some to those ST characters. But the best trilogy? Naw man no way! lol

    I think the OT was the best and that is just me and age and youth probably effect my judgement some, I would put the prequels next, and then the ST. I'm basing that on the characters, drama, originality, stories, etc.

    @SrawDawg

    Okay so i am going to offer you an alternative perspective and do with it what you will.

    The st was made with trying to recapture the magic of the ot as the prequels were scorned when they came out by a very large vocal part of the fanbase. It was disney’s attempt to say “hey, we hear you and we are going to do our best to try to please as many of you as we can”. Thus, you naturally have a lot of similarities. For me, there are enough differences in tfa from anh for me to be justified.

    As far as rey learning the force the way she did, i feel this was trying to get back to the mysticism of the force as a religion rather than magic aka more about miracles than mastery. Like if you watch obiwan and yoda training luke it is way different than how the jedi teach their padawans in the prequels. This is a thin line to walk because you have to do it without retconning what the prequels set up. Hence, they made the force a sort of presence in itself that has a mind of its own and the person just allows the force to work through them.

    The next thing is i feel the empire is essentially about oppression and authoritarianism rather than just slavery. It is about the people vs the powers that be that don’t care about the people but only power. It is also important to note that the first order is a fracture of what the empire was. After death star 2 blew up the empire broke off unto different factions fighting for power. The first order is the most radical of these groups hence why they adopted a supreme leader.

    As far as the technology goes, the starkiller base does come off as a rip off of the death star but it actually makes sense as the tech of the death star must always be exploited not unlike nuclear bombs in our own worlds. And you think how much our own tech has expanded in the past twenty years so in a more advanced society it would expand even more exponentially.

    I want to discuss these things more like this (debating rather than arguing) so let me know your thoughts bro!

    Heres the reason why PT fans hate the ST. It isn't original. The PT is a new story. ST isn't. Its as simple as that.

    Is it though? The prequels definitely went in a different direction than the ot but it was essentially backstory for the ot. We knew what the ending would be from the get go. Not to mention there are tons of similarities with anakin and luke’s backstory to the point where anakin blew up a big space station at the end. Not to say that the pt doesn’t have many many original elements because it does like the battle droids and the separatist faction
    What i am saying is what you are saying is a double standard and that brings me to the st.

    The st was original too. It drew many inspiration from the original movies for sure. The force awakens being the most guilty of this. There was also many many original elements introduced. Finn, a storm trooper who became disillusioned with the first order (this is the first time we get to see a storm trooper as a character). Poe dameron is a leading resistance leader and ace pilot. There had been those before but again their characters were pretty much nothing outside of on screen deaths. Rey has a villain’s backstory which the closest we have had that in a hero is han who we would have to wait until the solo movie to find that out. Kylo is way more of a complex character than vader at the sacrifice of him being a cool evil baddie (vader was barely more than a guy in a mask who happens to be luke’s father until they make a whole trilogy just to explain that).

    I could go on and on but again i ask for your thoughts so that we may have a discussion rather than talking over each other.
  • ROMG4
    4726 posts Member
    edited March 10
    Heres the reason why PT fans hate the ST. It isn't original. The PT is a new story. ST isn't. Its as simple as that.

    The PT is starting to get rose tinted glassified and overly praised now. The PT was a new story but a poorly executed one for as much as one can knock Phasma

    She's a way stronger female character than any PT one

    Let's keep our heads on now
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

    OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

    Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/152598/the-oom-9-vs-jar-jar-season

    Episode 9's Ending
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025735/uploads/editor/15/zs312vl0xftg.jpeg
  • ROMG4 wrote: »
    Heres the reason why PT fans hate the ST. It isn't original. The PT is a new story. ST isn't. Its as simple as that.

    The PT is starting to get rose tinted glassified and overly praised now. The PT was a new story but a poorly executed one for as much as one can knock Phasma

    She's a way stronger female character than any PT one

    Let's keep our heads on now

    I agree there is plenty to criticize in the prequels. Though the rose colored glasses go to the ot fans. A lot of the problems with the pt can be traced back to the ot and how george lucas wrote himself into a box. Like, what is the deal with obiwan just being a hermit on tatooine then suddenly decides “oh okay! Now is a good time to train luke to be a jedi!” Why not do this earlier? That would make too much sense right? Stormtroopers bumping their heads, luke force kicking folks in the face, and rancors that look like muppets. I could go on but yeah needless to say the ot has its fair share of things people overlook because they are classics.
  • ROMG4
    4726 posts Member
    edited March 10
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Like, what is the deal with obiwan just being a hermit on tatooine then suddenly decides “oh okay! Now is a good time to train luke to be a jedi!” Why not do this earlier?

    Umm, that's already addressed in the movie. Uncle Owen and Beru wanted Luke to have nothing to do with Obi-Wan and the Jedi, and kept Obi-Wan from having any sort of interaction with Luke. That's a huge plot point in the movie and later in ESB when Yoda says hes too old to train now

    Obi-Wan wanted Luke to choose whether he wanted to become a Jedi or not. He even reiterates that when Luke's concerned about choosing Obi-Wan or his family, "You must do what you feel is right, of course". Its a pretty big character moment and one that connects with the Prequels surprisingly well. Anakin never truly made the choice to join the Jedi rather Qui-Gon gave him the opportunity and Shimi pushed for him to go, Obi-Wan made a different choice. Instead he watched over him until he was old enough and knew enough of his life so he could truly make that choice
    Stormtroopers bumping their heads
    Boi, you don't even want to get into productions goof fights with me and use that as evidence for the OTs poor quality. Because so help me I'll awaken my neuroticism and point out all the massive errors in the ST that far eclipse that one second goof

    "Disappearing knife anyone?"

    Force kick though, true
    and rancors that look like muppets
    tenor.gif

    The OT's special effects were revolutionary at their time and still hold up very well today. If your going to judge a movie because its "SFXs are too old" that's a terrible perspective and a non argument really
    I could go on but yeah needless to say the ot has its fair share of things people overlook because they are classics.
    I'm not blinded by nostalgia or accept them because they were classics, I was born long, long, after ANH premiered
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

    OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

    Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/152598/the-oom-9-vs-jar-jar-season

    Episode 9's Ending
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025735/uploads/editor/15/zs312vl0xftg.jpeg
  • ROMG4 wrote: »
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    Like, what is the deal with obiwan just being a hermit on tatooine then suddenly decides “oh okay! Now is a good time to train luke to be a jedi!” Why not do this earlier?

    Umm, that's already addressed in the movie. Uncle Owen and Beru wanted Luke to have nothing to do with Obi-Wan and the Jedi, and kept Obi-Wan from having any sort of interaction with Luke. That's a huge plot point in the movie and later in ESB when Yoda says hes too old to train now

    Obi-Wan wanted Luke to choose whether he wanted to become a Jedi or not. He even reiterates that when Luke's concerned about choosing Obi-Wan or his family, "You must do what you feel is right, of course". Its a pretty big character moment and one that connects with the Prequels surprisingly well. Anakin never truly made the choice to join the Jedi rather Qui-Gon gave him the opportunity and Shimi pushed for him to go, Obi-Wan made a different choice. Instead he watched over him until he was old enough and knew enough of his life so he could truly make that choice
    Stormtroopers bumping their heads
    Boi, you don't even want to get into productions goof fights with me and use that as evidence for the OTs poor quality. Because so help me I'll awaken my neuroticism and point out all the massive errors in the ST that far eclipse that one second goof

    "Disappearing knife anyone?"

    Force kick though, true
    and rancors that look like muppets
    tenor.gif

    The OT's special effects were revolutionary at their time and still hold up very well today. If your going to judge a movie because its "SFXs are too old" that's a terrible perspective and a non argument really
    I could go on but yeah needless to say the ot has its fair share of things people overlook because they are classics.
    I'm not blinded by nostalgia or accept them because they were classics, I was born long, long, after ANH premiered

    Let’s go back to this luke and obi wan thing. I can buy that his adopted parents wanted to shelter him from the crazy old man but this is assuming that luke did not have prior contact to him. He knows ben and even instantly recognizes him. Am i to believe that obiwan was unaware that luke would be to old to train when he is what? In his twenties?

    The knife thing in tlj was a blunder i will admit that. I saw the videos and yeah i can’t argue with that. It is a worthy criticism and impressive to whoever caught that. The rancor looked cheesy when it came out. It was the same technique they used back in the 60’s. It was the space battles that blew everyone’s minds.

    And my point for bringing those things up is that you want to say that we look at the prequels with rose colored glasses. Many a people hated the star wars phenomenon when it came out. Even when i was growing up in the 90’s kids at school would be like “lol you like star wars!! Lame!” Then when the special editions came out you had the elitest nerds who were and still are against that. It was until episode 1 that magically everyone thought star wars was amazing! And the discourse of star wars existed even before then as people thought rotj was lame because of the ewoks.

    You can paint these movies with whatever brush you like but it just comes off as “my team is better than your team!” When you just nit pick one trilogy over the rest. Without this double standard people have a hard time criticizing the sequels. Which is what i find to be ironic because just because something isn’t “plot holes” or “ruining your childhood” doesn’t mean you still have to like it. It is my belief that if we approach it with how we personally feel about it then it is okay to be subjective about it.

    There are things i don’t like across the whole saga. I just don’t get so hung up on them that it ruins the experience for me. I doubt i will ever agree with the reasoning to bring palpatine back. I can accept it though because otherwise i would just hate ros.
Sign In or Register to comment.