criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

St is the best trilogy cmv

13Next

Replies

• parasite wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »
    Cane_danko wrote: »
    parasite wrote: »
    the most underused caracter was hux, in TFA he was pretty damn good, but in the other 2 hes a joke

Strong disagree. I thought he sucked in tfa. Diet grand moff tarkin. Tlj made him comic relief. Makes me smiles every time he is on screen.

They made him comic relief in a trilogy that was desperate for good villains

Man, some of you guys are so freaking negative. It is pointless to argue with you naysayers.

Things like that made the FO look so bad to me, and they STILL took over in a week. Every other galactic conflict took years.

I'll grant, the cw wasn't a 'real' war. It was just Palps banging his life sized action figures together so he could take over, so he dragged it out. The droid army should have over ran the republic in a year or 2 just because the GAR was too small to defend against an invasion.

One thing i will agree with you on is that the sequels left too much of the world building out for the books to explain. I feel this is as much the prequel haters fault as much as the writers and disney. They listen to the negativity and when people spend over a decade complaining about the “politics and lack of character building” they listen. The ot had the same problem but yeah its on that high horse that can never be touched or criticized. I think if people were to calm their tatas a bit when discussing these movies online the franchise would be better off because the vitriol just leads to bad decisions being made. Imo.

The OT & PT were successful with this because they left ~ 2 years between ANH and ESB and a year between ESB and RotJ. It was ~ 10 years between TPM and AotC and 4ish til RotS. Vague references were made to what happened during the time not covered. Each movie covered a few weeks to months.

The ST had TFA and TLJ cover a week in total, then a year to ROS. While I enjoyed the first 2/3 of ROS, the 14 hours or whatever the time covered was too tight a window, especially with all the planet hopping they did.

I would have liked ROS more if it didnt feel so rushed , but JJ had to continue RJ story while trying to make his own

I am still on the fence about ros. I like it for sure but i have only seen it once. Tlj i saw twice in theater. The first time i saw it the humor was off putting to me but the second time it blended better for me. It wasn’t until i got it on dvd and started binge watching it that i began to love it. I had watched many a youtube videos on it prior and the divineness of the whole thing really fascinated me. I hate to be the guy who uses expectations as a defense but most of everything i see about it in regards to those passionately against it all revolve around the same sort of arguments. It wasn’t the movie they wanted to be made. I find that to be a rather shallow way of approaching films in general. That isn’t to say people don’t have the right to be upset things did not play out the way they wanted its just that i feel a lot of the angst involved is not really fair especially in comparison to the other movies which they give a pass. I know that isn’t what people want to hear. I get it. Just try and see things from the other side a little bit. And to the more moderate critics out there i think that they might find things more enjoyable as time goes on and passions die down. Maybe i am being to optimistic about it but hey there are worst things in life to be.
  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    the most underused caracter was hux, in TFA he was pretty damn good, but in the other 2 hes a joke

Strong disagree. I thought he sucked in tfa. Diet grand moff tarkin. Tlj made him comic relief. Makes me smiles every time he is on screen.

Man, some of you guys are so freaking negative. It is pointless to argue with you naysayers.

Things like that made the FO look so bad to me, and they STILL took over in a week. Every other galactic conflict took years.

I'll grant, the cw wasn't a 'real' war. It was just Palps banging his life sized action figures together so he could take over, so he dragged it out. The droid army should have over ran the republic in a year or 2 just because the GAR was too small to defend against an invasion.

One thing i will agree with you on is that the sequels left too much of the world building out for the books to explain. I feel this is as much the prequel haters fault as much as the writers and disney. They listen to the negativity and when people spend over a decade complaining about the “politics and lack of character building” they listen. The ot had the same problem but yeah its on that high horse that can never be touched or criticized. I think if people were to calm their tatas a bit when discussing these movies online the franchise would be better off because the vitriol just leads to bad decisions being made. Imo.

The OT & PT were successful with this because they left ~ 2 years between ANH and ESB and a year between ESB and RotJ. It was ~ 10 years between TPM and AotC and 4ish til RotS. Vague references were made to what happened during the time not covered. Each movie covered a few weeks to months.

The ST had TFA and TLJ cover a week in total, then a year to ROS. While I enjoyed the first 2/3 of ROS, the 14 hours or whatever the time covered was too tight a window, especially with all the planet hopping they did.

I would have liked ROS more if it didnt feel so rushed , but JJ had to continue RJ story while trying to make his own

I am still on the fence about ros. I like it for sure but i have only seen it once. Tlj i saw twice in theater. The first time i saw it the humor was off putting to me but the second time it blended better for me. It wasn’t until i got it on dvd and started binge watching it that i began to love it. I had watched many a youtube videos on it prior and the divineness of the whole thing really fascinated me. I hate to be the guy who uses expectations as a defense but most of everything i see about it in regards to those passionately against it all revolve around the same sort of arguments. It wasn’t the movie they wanted to be made. I find that to be a rather shallow way of approaching films in general. That isn’t to say people don’t have the right to be upset things did not play out the way they wanted its just that i feel a lot of the angst involved is not really fair especially in comparison to the other movies which they give a pass. I know that isn’t what people want to hear. I get it. Just try and see things from the other side a little bit. And to the more moderate critics out there i think that they might find things more enjoyable as time goes on and passions die down. Maybe i am being to optimistic about it but hey there are worst things in life to be.

Ive also only seen TROS once, so maybe thats why it seems rush. And yeah most fans ( including myself) had expectations of how the st should have been made, and since they subverted our expectations, with grandpa luke, snokes death, palpatines return,etc, a lot of fans didnt like it.
  • parasite wrote: »

Ive also only seen TROS once, so maybe thats why it seems rush. And yeah most fans ( including myself) had expectations of how the st should have been made, and since they subverted our expectations, with grandpa luke, snokes death, palpatines return,etc, a lot of fans didnt like it.

Yup. A lot of fans didn’t like it. That is perfectly fine. It is even to be expected. They could have made the eu books into movies and use the de-aging technology for actors but there would still be people upset. People were upset over the prequels too. It happens with popular franchises as you can’t please everyone. There are plenty of movies in recent years i have been disappointed in. Batman v superman, jurassic world, pretty much the majority of reboots that hollywood pumps out. What gets me is i know there are people who enjoy them and it does nothing for me in regards of satisfaction to try to convince those people those are bad movies. What does it serve besides my own ego? I have a hard time making the case that it serves those franchises by doing so. Stating your problems with the movies in a rationale way does go a long way in that you offer a perspective as to what could have been done differently in order to make a better movie. That makes for a less toxic fandom than just using every mention of the movie to just take a dump all over something that really is just a form of escapism.
  • very interesting theories about what makes a story good
    Order of Strike maps leading up to Extraction:
    Kamino -> Mos Eisley -> Death Star II -> Kessel -> Jabba's
  • I liked everything in the ST. I liked seeing older versions of the characters I grew up with from the OT. The biggest thing I hate about the prequels is how it went too far into politics. The ST stayed away from politics, but still gave us context as to what was going on with the New Republic. I love Luke being in exile. People complain so much about that, yet never complain about Yoda, Obi-Wan being in exile. And Luke’s death was just perfect. He died in the most peaceful way possible, he didn’t die in pain, he died to save everyone, and spent his last moments watching the twin suns. A perfect trilogy.
  • We didnt learn anything about the new republic
  • TjPunx
    1867 posts Member
    It has to do with age. If this was your first big SW in a theatre with all the hype, you think this trilogy is better then OT, or PT. Plain and simple. Most of those that like the ST are new SW fans that got to see it as a group
  • TjPunx wrote: »
    It has to do with age. If this was your first big SW in a theatre with all the hype, you think this trilogy is better then OT, or PT. Plain and simple. Most of those that like the ST are new SW fans that got to see it as a group

This is not true though. It is true for some. I’m 35 and grew up with the ot. I was the only kid in my class with the vhs and so i would let my buddies borrow them so we could discuss them. Simpler times. There was no knowledge of empire being the goat. It was just about what your favorite flick and moments were. Anyways, i remember when the prequels came out and everyone in college just hating them. It wasn’t the type of hate you see now. It was very cordial and just “eh... i didn’t like it.” “Oh? Why not?” And you would have a conversation. Usually the reasons are the acting and the characters. Fast forward and those same guys all loved tfa. Most hated tlj (except those like me who were passionate that it is indeed a masterpiece). Then you got ros which everyone seemed to enjoy in my group of friends and one its even his best star wars movie of all time. Now, plenty of new blood in this group created from both the prequels and the st. My nieces love rey more than i do. I think that’s so great. It is about time star wars became something more for just the boys. It was such an easy thing to do but well it gets so much resistance. Gotta break those eggs though.