criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Deleted

CT_1242
2014 posts Member
edited May 12
Deleted
Post edited by CT_1242 on

Replies

• To be honest, I don't think being family friendly necessarily means something needs to be dumbed down or include things like Jar Jar Binks or Ewoks and that it can't be grounded. You can have a serious tone and an emotional movie without including comic relief and cuteness but also without it being graphic. The Rise of Skywalker contains some imagery that wouldn't be out of place in a horror movie but its still a family friendly film.

I guess what I'd like most of all is a movie that has a serious tone and keeps the emotion there, but doesn't have the higher level of graphic violence, sex, swearing, etc that higher age ratings possess. I honestly think that there's a point where violence etc becomes unnecessary to the narrative. I'm 30 years old, and I sometimes find movies with excessive amounts of graphic content to be a little too much. Tonally, I think Revenge of the Sith, The Force Awakens and The Rise of Skywalker are generally what I'd be hoping for in a movie.
    "The question," she replied, "Is not whether you will love, hurt, dream, and die. It is what you will love, why you will hurt, when you will dream, and how you will die. This is your choice. You cannot pick the destination, only the path." - Oathbringer.

If you would like to stay in contact:

PSN - GeneralXIV

Steam - LaurenXIV

Origin - GeneralXIV
  • CT_1242
    2014 posts Member
    LaurenXIV wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't think being family friendly necessarily means something needs to be dumbed down or include things like Jar Jar Binks or Ewoks and that it can't be grounded. You can have a serious tone and an emotional movie without including comic relief and cuteness but also without it being graphic. The Rise of Skywalker contains some imagery that wouldn't be out of place in a horror movie but its still a family friendly film.

I guess what I'd like most of all is a movie that has a serious tone and keeps the emotion there, but doesn't have the higher level of graphic violence, sex, swearing, etc that higher age ratings possess. I honestly think that there's a point where violence etc becomes unnecessary to the narrative. I'm 30 years old, and I sometimes find movies with excessive amounts of graphic content to be a little too much. Tonally, I think Revenge of the Sith, The Force Awakens and The Rise of Skywalker are generally what I'd be hoping for in a movie.

What I like best is an unfiltered reality. Just look at Republic Commando. The clones straight up swears a few times or so. And I love it. Why wouldn't SW characters swear? The hell they go through and still staying away from potty mouths... I also want gore, sex, whatever as far as it makes sense for that story. I'm sick of seeing Jedi not even cutting off limbs of their foes like you do in Force Unleashed, which is more realistic.
  • CT_1242
    2014 posts Member
    CT_1242 wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't think being family friendly necessarily means something needs to be dumbed down or include things like Jar Jar Binks or Ewoks and that it can't be grounded. You can have a serious tone and an emotional movie without including comic relief and cuteness but also without it being graphic. The Rise of Skywalker contains some imagery that wouldn't be out of place in a horror movie but its still a family friendly film.

What I like best is an unfiltered reality. Just look at Republic Commando. The clones straight up swears a few times or so. And I love it. Why wouldn't SW characters swear? The hell they go through and still staying away from potty mouths... I also want gore, sex, whatever as far as it makes sense for that story. I'm sick of seeing Jedi not even cutting off limbs of their foes like you do in Force Unleashed, which is more realistic.

Also, if any mods see this and deem it inappropirate (however it's spelled...) that we merely mention a specific bodily action then just remove those words or censor them. Thanks.
  • DCDT
    207 posts Member
    Even the very first movie bleeped out all of R2-D2s swear words. It would be weird to stop doing that now.
  • CT_1242
    2014 posts Member
    DCDT wrote: »
    Even the very first movie bleeped out all of R2-D2s swear words. It would be weird to stop doing that now.

Funny 😅
  • CT_1242 wrote: »

Sex is out of place in a star wars, I agree with Lauren, I don't like excessive amounts of swears, sexual content and such, violence is fine, I love action, but we don't need a blood bath of gore.
  • CT_1242
    2014 posts Member

Sex is out of place in a star wars, I agree with Lauren, I don't like excessive amounts of swears, sexual content and such, violence is fine, I love action, but we don't need a blood bath of gore.

Once again I think few things should be off limits as far as it makes sense within the context of the story. I.E. if they show us war, then show us war and not some kind of kid-friendly variant. War in Star Wars is way worse than real life war, but few Star Wars media can accurately portray this, probably due to the whole "family-friendly" mentality. I mean just take the First Battle on Geonosis as an example. It was WAY worse than D-Day in real life, yet we barely get to see anything of it and what we do see is just the bare minimum of clones and droids trading fire...
  • lowell
    2814 posts Member
    These might be some perspectives worth looking at (second video has cursing but gets the idea across to those who had problems with franchises overall):

https://www.gqmiddleeast.com/culture/heres-what-jon-favreau-and-george-lucas-have-been-talking-about-for-the-mandalorian

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B3aUrNoFE5S/

Plus, we do have theme park lands based on the franchise now and a adjoining hotel being built for families.

Once again I think few things should be off limits as far as it makes sense within the context of the story. I.E. if they show us war, then show us war and not some kind of kid-friendly variant. War in Star Wars is way worse than real life war, but few Star Wars media can accurately portray this, probably due to the whole "family-friendly" mentality. I mean just take the First Battle on Geonosis as an example. It was WAY worse than D-Day in real life, yet we barely get to see anything of it and what we do see is just the bare minimum of clones and droids trading fire...

Perhaps you have a source or something that says that but I'm not sure its worst than D-Day. Sex should be off limits, there is no need for an R rated star wars movie, as much as you don't like it, star wars isn't just for adults, and I know a ton of adults that don't like R rated movies, there is no need to write down to children like in TLJ, Rebels and Resistence, of course movies like ROTS would be intense for little children, but little children shouldn't be watching that, children 13 or slightly younger would probably be fine with it in most cases, star wars(overall) should be relatively family friendly.
  • CT_1242
    2014 posts Member

Perhaps you have a source or something that says that but I'm not sure its worst than D-Day. Sex should be off limits, there is no need for an R rated star wars movie, as much as you don't like it, star wars isn't just for adults, and I know a ton of adults that don't like R rated movies, there is no need to write down to children like in TLJ, Rebels and Resistence, of course movies like ROTS would be intense for little children, but little children shouldn't be watching that, children 13 or slightly younger would probably be fine with it in most cases, star wars(overall) should be relatively family friendly.

I did some research.

"The Allied casualties figures for D-Day have generally been estimated at 10,000, including 2,500 dead. Broken down by nationality, the usual D-Day casualty figures are approximately 2,700 British, 946 Canadians, and 6,603 Americans."
    https://www.google.com/search?q=d-day+casualties&oq=d-day+c&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.6599j0j7&client=ms-android-h3g-se&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

"Few numbers here:

Republic Commando: Hard Contact features an early scene where clone troops evacuate Geonosis following the battle. 12,000 seriously injured, 8,000 walking wounded, and 72,000 combat-fit troops. Inside the Worlds of Ep2 states 192,000 clones were deployed in the battle. If my calculations are correct, that means around 100,000 clone troopers were killed or are MIA.

Inside the Worlds also gives these stats:
    - 286 Techno Union transports on Geonosis (169 escape)
    - 41 Commerce Guild transports (36 escape)
    - 60 Trade Federation Core Ships (46 escape)"
    https://boards.theforce.net/threads/battle-of-geonosis-death-count.18069398/
  • CT_1242
    2014 posts Member
    Also you must have misunderstood me. Which might be due to me not being clear enough on the subject. I love Star Wars as is, but I also want there to be SW content aimed toward adults. I want my gritty, Canon and realistic depiction of Star Wars on the side. Like a movie or show following a group of clones throughout the Clone Wars and it's completely uncensored, meaning if someone's cut by a steel blade, there will be blood. If a lightsaber touches you you go in two parts etc.
  • lowell
    2814 posts Member
    Also you must have misunderstood me. Which might be due to me not being clear enough on the subject. I love Star Wars as is, but I also want there to be SW content aimed toward adults. I want my gritty, Canon and realistic depiction of Star Wars on the side. Like a movie or show following a group of clones throughout the Clone Wars and it's completely uncensored, meaning if someone's cut by a steel blade, there will be blood. If a lightsaber touches you you go in two parts etc.

Oh, the novels are still pretty dark. Check out Dark Disciple, for instance. It's an unfinished TCW arc but was given the adult novel treatment under Del Rey/Random House because Lucasfilm felt it was the best medium to be adapted into.
  • bfloo
    17692 posts Member
    I don't want either extreme, but if the story telling is good, it doesn't really matter
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Spiito
    2286 posts Member
    Negative emotional impact causes people to remember events/things better.
    If the aim is to teach *effectively* the material in question can't hold your hand about it.
    When I was introduced to Star Wars, I got scared by the Wampa. I wasn't going to forget it anytime soon... The Tauntaun thing was also really upsetting for me to watch, but I never forget that's one way to keep warm when you're in subzero temperature I guess? Those two things alone made me remember the Star Wars name, ((Jabba was also pretty scary...)) a name which I later revisited when newer movies for those times came out. Young Anakin had some relatable aspects, the Phantom Menace movie didn't have to do much to remind me of sad things. But Maul getting sliced in half and falling down the shoot sent chills down my spine. I was completely worried for the guy! I wanted him to be okay. I remember asking if that was something he could live through, and being told people's limbs aren't like their torsos, that your insides are a lot more vital to living than a hand or something. (But I know now that there are people who survive really grizzly things sometimes. And I'm glad they had Maul return.)
    The Lion King can make you really sad, when you're a kid. Maybe some kids were afraid of the evil lion. *shrug*
    If media is too complex it risks boring an audience. If it's too simple it's the same issue. Then there's the concept of being desensitized to something after repeated application. You're not gonna remember the 298578 kill you made when you're grinding. If media makes something too commonplace it becomes forgettable.

They should switch between family friendly with sprinkles of non family friendly moments. Yes, people won't like it.
    Kylo Ren: "I pushed you in the desert because I needed to see you. I needed you to see who you are."
    Being pushed out of your comfort zone is how you learn new things.

vBOsyT1.png
  • Too bad the mouse got their hands on the license.
    Even thought i also want a r rated movie, im worried that disney will mess up and have it be a joke infested with little r rated content like birds of prey ( i know it wasnt made by disney )
  • what about kissing, isn't that sex?
    Order of Strike maps leading up to Extraction:
    Kamino -> Mos Eisley -> Death Star II -> Kessel -> Jabba's
  • CT_1242
    2014 posts Member
    what about kissing, isn't that sex?

I take it your comment isn't serious—but to give you a serious response: it depends. You can do a thousand different things with kisses meaning it can mean a lot of different things.
  • JBSeptim
    1631 posts Member
    I wouldn't want erotic content in Star Wars actually. I'm glad it doesn't have those. **** is an absolute no too. Gore is also unnecessary in most cases, I am quite happy with the way it is handled in TCW though (it is usually implied and left to your imagination there).

What they could do is actually showing how even beloved people get shot instead of only implying it. Star Wars is a battle with laser weapons - there is no gore in mist cases. Exception being wild animals and Wookies - I'm still waiting to see a Wookie rip arms off outside of LEGO Star Wars.

Swearing depends on the context. The clones were portrayed not to swear much - just roll with it. Let's say that is part of their nature/programming. Rebels or Imperials swearing is more likely. I would save it for certain characters though. I do not enjoy excessive swearing, but if the situation fits it's ok, if it is limited. Like Spiito said: the audience becomes desensitized for it very quickly and then the whole thing has no use anyway. Rather keep it down.

They could push borders, but I wouldn't like it better because of that alone. The situation has to fit, and what they do use is fine. If you want to achieve something actually good, there are much better ways to get more adult-friendly content - a darker atmosphere is not created by such simplicities. Make the audience tremble in fear for the characters they see, war does provide the means for it. I feel at ease when I see jedi running through hordes of droids. It is much more nerve-wrecking to see two clone troopers who escort a civilian child out of the enemy lines and built up a cute little relationship with it.

That's what I'd rather do: build up something good and destroy it. Show how these heroic clones get caught and killed by the CIS. Don't show the clones watching a bombarded village - show the citizens of the village who did not find cover running for their lives and die. That's what war does. If you want to show the terror of war - traumatize people. Most importantly though: this is not fun to watch.

There can be content like this - I'm not against it! Better than trying to create suspense by cheaply copying ideas from other movies, like having an inpenetrable monster (Godzilla) destroying a big city (King Kong) or have undead Geonosians attack clones (Zombie movies) and later have their brain controling worms befall the clones (Parasite movies). This kind of nonsensical content is what really drives my gears. Completely unnecessary, adds nothing to the lore and is only creating suspense. Could've been done with the means of war just as well. And if this gets replaced by content that uses superior forms of horrific cinematics that are logical to be found in war I'm a lot more convinced.
  • CT_1242
    2014 posts Member
    Both Republic Commando and Fallen Order are dark and deals with war and battle differently than most other Star Wars media. That's what I want more of. :)

If a Commando Droid slices a Clone Trooper's arm with a vibroblade I expect blood, if it makes sense. I want less restrictions on things such as limbs getting cut off to save it for special occasions, which is fair enough, however we see Jedi and Sith alike cut, strike and slash living beings quite a bit with their lightsabers... yet limbs rarely come off unless the story wants it and NOW the Jedi or Sith didn't just hit the enemy's torso or scratch their leg. Get what I mean? I don't want any unnecessary things either. But I also don't just want "family friendly Star Wars" where things get censored even when that would go against the rules of Star Wars itself or just make the situation less serious or whatever. I mean, people's mentality about Star Wars is that it's child's stuff because laser guns and laser swords and funny looking helmets haha and it takes place far away from earth etc. etc. But that's false in my opinion. Star Wars is literally about war. That's what the ENTIRE franchise is and has always centered around. And as such I want more gritty and realistic depictions of these wars. Don't just show me a few clones getting gunned down and then Anakin jumps in to save the day. Have us follow exclusively a group of clones. Let us FEEL how THEY actually feel. I mean for crying out loud. The First Battle on Geonosis is typically seen as this cool battle that started the Clone Wars—I agree—but what people seem to forget is that the clones hated it. Because that wasn't a fight. It wasn't even a battle. It was a large scale massacre. Worse than even D-Day. Yeah. But people don't see it that way because we barely ever get to see these kinds of events from the eyes of the guys fighting, bleeding and dying.
    I strongly prefer the latter. I want my fiction grounded in reality, not things dumbed down or censored because kids might/will watch. What are your thoughts?

I don't think that attempts to make Star Wars more realistic have either achieved that goal or resulted in satisfying stories. It's not a setting that lends itself to gritty realism, due to it being space opera.
    Order of Strike maps leading up to Extraction:
    Kamino -> Mos Eisley -> Death Star II -> Kessel -> Jabba's
  • CT_1242
    2014 posts Member
    I strongly prefer the latter. I want my fiction grounded in reality, not things dumbed down or censored because kids might/will watch. What are your thoughts?

I don't think that attempts to make Star Wars more realistic have either achieved that goal or resulted in satisfying stories. It's not a setting that lends itself to gritty realism, due to it being space opera.

I'd have to disagree. StarCraft is in many regards "the same" as Star Wars and that series is way more grim, graphic, realistic in its tone and much less censored. All for the better in my opinion.
  • Uncensored realistic Star Wars.
  • CT_1242
    2014 posts Member
    Ryu_Tano94 wrote: »
    Uncensored realistic Star Wars.

:)
  • Feelee6
    2406 posts Member
    Realistic
    3aewvsfcz7kt.gif
    ur9uulae4dqx.gif