criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar
Battle Point Event Heroes Unleashed

So Star Wars 7 was terrible (Warning Spoilers)

Prev1
Ausrichter
25 posts Member
edited December 2015
What was Disney thinking?
Here's my beef with the movie
  • New villain was terrible. Acted like a brat and why did he have a mask? I feel that only vader should have a mask.
  • Basically a copy of episode 5
  • wasn't authentic
  • I found Rey very annoying
  • didn't like the dry humor found in every disney channel show
  • didn't like what they did to Han Solo
  • Felt rushed (They tried to fit too much into the movie which made it lack in depth)
  • Didn't create the classic Star Wars "mystery" (Why did they have to tell us Kylo's history? It would have been better if they pulled another "luke" moment where the audience finds out that he is Han's son. We like that sort of mystery)
  • The force is something that is learned, it isn't inherited. Rey should have lost that battle
  • They made the New Order very weak. The Empire was strong.
  • Kylo Ren is stupid ugh.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Also, it would have been better if we didn't see Luke at the end. It would allow for more speculation.
Post edited by GummyBearKing_268 on

Replies

• Pretty much. My pet peeve is that they went Mary Sue with Rey (proficient engineer, pilot, combatant, can understand wookie and droids, force sensitive and more capable than Luke with zero training), and our main villain was the opposite: childish, whiny, throws tantrums and can't fight, struggles to use the force and is as scary as a baby duckling.

Gee, I wonder who's going to win this trilogy?
  • Terrible story and script. Unbelievable anyone else thought it was good to go along with. So many plot holes and inconsistences in itself and to the originals. Rehashed trash. They got my ticket sales this time before I'd any real idea what they've done to it. Yeah, I have a bad feeling about this too.

Bring back George Lucas.
  • Kj-ZoSo wrote: »
    Bring back George Lucas.

Never, ever, ever thought I'd say it, but yeah, I agree. But I'll wait til the full trilogy is out before I pass my final judgement.
  • Actually it's more of a episode 4 copy if anything.. Han Solo was killed off because Harrison Ford simply wanted his character to die. He tried to get killed off in the original trilogy but George Lucas simply wouldn't have it. He is wearing the mask for "psychological warfare" to represent the terror and power he has. Although I did find it strange how he could stop a laser in the air and hold it there while he strikes down an old guy, he is very powerful and he's trying to be Vader. The New Order wasn't weak at all as they made a HUGE death star "starkiller base" which way surpasses the empires technological advances because the base can destroy a whole system. And the "conditioning" they went through made them more stronger and dangerous as troopers which also makes them better than the empire. I will agree with the many plot holes and lack of information provided to us upon the characters as I would love to know if Supreme Leader Snoke is actually a 30 foot giants and where he comes from. Kylo Ren wasn't so strong and more careless and had tantrums because he hasn't completed his training. At the end of the movie you have to remember Snoke asks for Ren and the general to return to where Snoke is so he can complete Ren's training. You also have to remember Anakin was a good pilot before Qui Gon and Obi-Wan even found him without training. Maybe Rey has a certain trait that is very uncommon within force sensitive individuals which gives them more qualities and talents than a normal Jedi. You just have to give it a chance and hope Episode VIII will be phenomenal and will fill us in on the missing information.
  • Kylo Ren was wearing the mask because he want to be like darth vader. I love the movie its great!
  • CrobatHD wrote: »
    Actually it's more of a episode 4 copy if anything.. Han Solo was killed off because Harrison Ford simply wanted his character to die. He tried to get killed off in the original trilogy but George Lucas simply wouldn't have it. He is wearing the mask for "psychological warfare" to represent the terror and power he has. Although I did find it strange how he could stop a laser in the air and hold it there while he strikes down an old guy, he is very powerful and he's trying to be Vader.

I have no problems with anything you've said here.
    The New Order wasn't weak at all as they made a HUGE death star "starkiller base" which way surpasses the empires technological advances because the base can destroy a whole system. And the "conditioning" they went through made them more stronger and dangerous as troopers which also makes them better than the empire.

Yeah, except nobody actually gives a damn because it got blown up by a couple of X-Wings and we've got MaRey Sue on our side. If blowing up the entire Republic and its army while destroying an entire star system doesn't make an impact on us, nothing the First Order is going to do is ever going to be worth much. JJ can't rely on "blow more things up than before!" to create dramatic storytelling.
    I will agree with the many plot holes and lack of information provided to us upon the characters as I would love to know if Supreme Leader Snoke is actually a 30 foot giants and where he comes from. Kylo Ren wasn't so strong and more careless and had tantrums because he hasn't completed his training. At the end of the movie you have to remember Snoke asks for Ren and the general to return to where Snoke is so he can complete Ren's training.

Which is half the problem. Kylo Ren is "the strongest of the Knights of Ren" and is Snoke's avatar of order/justice/whatever the First Order stands for. Snoke may be the puppeteer but Kylo Ren is the villain. And he's beyond awful. I legitimately don't see why any character is afraid of him, when he's more likely to flip out and kick a duckling than overcome any enemy.
    You also have to remember Anakin was a good pilot before Qui Gon and Obi-Wan even found him without training. Maybe Rey has a certain trait that is very uncommon within force sensitive individuals which gives them more qualities and talents than a normal Jedi. You just have to give it a chance and hope Episode VIII will be phenomenal and will fill us in on the missing information.

Yes she does. It's called "Mary Sue". Rey is good at everything: She speaks droid, wookie, can repair anything, can fly anything, can beat Sith in lightsaber duels, can master Force tricks in seconds, and is the motivation for every other character (Finn to return, Han Solo to go to the Republic, Luke clearly protected her when Ren attacked and placed her on Jakku, she finds Luke, etc.). She's an awful character, period. With her on "our" side, and Ren on "their" side, there's literally no possibly way the conflict could be interesting. Spoilers - Rey will kick Ren's behind. The end.
  • I feel that Kylo Ren is more scary without the mask. He has that devilish look.
  • The movie is not terrible in my eyes, however it's also not the space opera like episode 1-6 are.
    For that we need...;

Bring back George Lucas.

"20th Century Fox, the original distributors of the first six Star Wars films, still retain the distribution rights to the original two Star Wars trilogies, currently owning permanent full distribution rights for the 1977 Star Wars film, while also holding the theatrical and home video distribution rights to Episodes I–III, V, and VI until May 2020. LucasFilm retains the television and digital distribution rights to all the Star Wars films except the original."

So starwars is co-owned by disney and fox, which keeps the possibility open that Lucas can actually come back writing new starwars stories.
    Your most joyous moments will be the unexpected ones. Release your expectations and move forward in anticipation.
    #singleplayersmatter
  • Drome wrote: »
    The movie is not terrible in my eyes, however it's also not the space opera like episode 1-6 are.
    For that we need...;

Bring back George Lucas.

"20th Century Fox, the original distributors of the first six Star Wars films, still retain the distribution rights to the original two Star Wars trilogies, currently owning permanent full distribution rights for the 1977 Star Wars film, while also holding the theatrical and home video distribution rights to Episodes I–III, V, and VI until May 2020. LucasFilm retains the television and digital distribution rights to all the Star Wars films except the original."

So starwars is co-owned by disney and fox, which keeps the possibility open that Lucas can actually come back writing new starwars stories.

I think you misinterpreted that. Fox has the distribution rights to Episode 1-6, and retains them until 2020 (after which Disney can release their own remastered versions, etc.). LucasFilm (which Disney owns) owns Star Wars, except for the original (Ep 4, which Fox owns).

Hmm, I wonder if Fox could sue Disney for plagiarism?
  • ah, thanks for setting that straight Zephkiel.
    Your most joyous moments will be the unexpected ones. Release your expectations and move forward in anticipation.
    #singleplayersmatter
  • Godling
    450 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    What killed it for me was that bitter old man, Harrison Ford, wanting his character to die. How, as an actor, is that something you relish? Oh sure, a nice death scene is fun... IN ADDITION TO A RICH AND DEEP CHARACTER, but in this case it's nothing more than an actor being a selfish actor. He showed no regard for the fans, the mythology, the story, or the character.... he just wanted Han dead because he's a bitter old man who resents that a kiddies movie made him famous. I didn't see Han die onscreen... I saw a bitter old actor get his way... took me right out of the film. Thank god we won't see his lame in the sequels now at least.
    Post edited by GummyBearKing_268 on
  • Zephkiel
    1790 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Godling, I don't think you quite understand how Star Wars worked behind the scenes. Harrison Ford didn't want to kill his character off because he hates Star Wars (he does, but that's irrelevant. A job's a job to him). He wanted his character to play a genuine role. When Ep 6 came around, Han Solo didn't have an arc, and that's what Ford objected to (Ford's understanding was that Solo's role ended after Ep 4). Between him, Lucas and the director, they worked out the whole "love interest" and "role in the Rebellion" to keep his character relevant, and that's why he stayed. The whole "I wanted Solo to die" thing was more around "having a rogueish character sacrifice himself for the greater good to deliver the best story".

Harrison Ford had nothing (or very little) to do with his death in Force Awakens. It was clear from the start that Abrams wanted to "pass the torch on" to the new cast. Expect the other two to die as well.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Harrison-Ford-Wanted-Han-Solo-Die-Return-Jedi-100887.html

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/19/10624632/star-wars-force-awakens-spoilers
  • Godling
    450 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Godling wrote: »
    Thank god we won't see his lame (word omitted sounds like grass) in the sequels now at least.
    To the zealot mod who removes curse words... have the self-respect to use other words in its place.. or just keep on being lazy.. least we all see your name in the "edit" field so we all know who the plebe is. Go on... edit plebe... as if it's a swear because you feel categorized and insulted.. have at 'er zealot!
  • Zephkiel wrote: »
    Godling, I don't think you quite understand how Star Wars worked behind the scenes. Harrison Ford didn't want to kill his character off because he hates Star Wars (he does, but that's irrelevant. A job's a job to him). He wanted his character to play a genuine role. When Ep 6 came around, Han Solo didn't have an arc, and that's what Ford objected to (Ford's understanding was that Solo's role ended after Ep 4). Between him, Lucas and the director, they worked out the whole "love interest" and "role in the Rebellion" to keep his character relevant, and that's why he stayed. The whole "I wanted Solo to die" thing was more around "having a rogueish character sacrifice himself for the greater good to deliver the best story".

Harrison Ford had nothing (or very little) to do with his death in Force Awakens. It was clear from the start that Abrams wanted to "pass the torch on" to the new cast. Expect the other two to die as well.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Harrison-Ford-Wanted-Han-Solo-Die-Return-Jedi-100887.html

You make good points. Ford isn't just a grumpy old man... he's been this way forever. So I'm tainted by that and the general weak way I think he went out.
  • anything released after 1983 is not Star Wars imo xD, dont care what anyone else says
  • Godling wrote: »
    Zephkiel wrote: »

You make good points. Ford isn't just a grumpy old man... he's been this way forever. So I'm tainted by that and the general weak way I think he went out.

Oh yeah he's the master of grumpy, and I agree he went out as a mere matter of plot convenience.
  • ^Could see it coming, the way the others were just stood there looking on. Even though I was prepared for it, it still shocked and sucked at the same time.

Just because someone's story arc might not have as much relevance to the main plot at the current period in the time line, doesn't mean they have nothing left to offer ever again so let's kill them off*. It also doesn't even begin to make Kylo Ren a credible villain for anything you may watch on the Disney channel.

*(Otherwise after the Battle Of Endor, Death Star III would have blown up all the ewoks).
  • Anyone looking forward to Roge One.
  • NRP Review was...

The New Star Wars was Confusing and Disorienting. J J Abrams and his writers have introduced three new characters to the Star Wars Universe. A new Villain is more Evil and Violate, a girl that is hiding for her life and a Confused Storm Trooper.

• I th think kylo was made to look weak on purpose so the next film he Is way stronger
  • I liked the movie.Han had to die.Harrison Ford is old anyway.We will miss him.
    Kylo Ren is not a Sith.Not yet.He chose to be one when he killed his own father.He will complete his training by Snoke(Darth Plagueis 99%).
    Rey is a Skywalker obviously.The force is too strong in her.Luke will be her master.
    The movie looked like the EpIV ANH with the Death Star/Star Killer Base.This base was huge.An entire planet using the power of the sun.
    Anyway.The next 2 will be better movies overall.
    I can't wait for Rogue 1.
  • Yaseiko
    4 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    If Rogue one does anything close to want happened for this reboot of a franchise, i personally don't want Rogue one to come out and instead for a continuation of the original lore to continue with the books because just as Disney destroyed Star Wars with the cut off of the best continuation of a story that basically explains why everything happens as it does in the Star wars universe (that includes why you can't ****ing hyper drive into an atmosphere) but also flushes out those secondary characters that we really wanted to here more of. Nothing against Poe Dameron but really that should of been either Wedge Antilles or his daughter flying. Because Wedge is Luke's first and truly friend in the rebellion so he should care about what they did to make Luke as he his (even though Luke should not be a whinny boy in this because harder trials were put on him in the books and look where that took him). But ranting a raving won't bring back a continuation of what should of happen (yes we all gave up Thrawn, Mara, Gilad Pellaeon, solo's family, the list goes on) for just one more super weapon **** slap plot device that may stand the test of time to get a movie going, but for continuing a story that should of at least taken a step forward in the universe this movie did not.
  • Spacecowboy1337
    159 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Some of the very small things didn't sit well with me. The biggest one for me was how did they get Luke's saber back from bespin? Also, why would chewie let rey fly the falcon? He has been the co pilot for 40 plus years, I think he might know a thing or two more than rey
  • Some of the very small things didn't sit well with me. The biggest one for me was how did they get Luke's saber back from bespin? Also, why would chewie let rey fly the falcon? He has been the co pilot for 40 plus years, I think he might know a thing or two more than rey

like Maz Kanata said..."it's another story"
  • Luke's lightsaber is magically back from Bespin because Disney left the plot and script writing to amateurs rather than the creator who knows how to write stories for his key characters, and not having to leave any out because he doesn't know what to do with them, or how to link things up, actually continuing a story.

If people didn't like the prequels, it's a shame. Personally I love them all now like the OT. But for people to latch on to this newly released inconsistent rehashed tripe calling it a return to form or best star wars ever? Ugh.
  • I read a lot “it’s what the fans wanted”, and this the whole issue. Like all fans want the same.., no it’s not, fans are various and have different wishes. Just be original as storywriter, be yourself, make the movie how it’s original intended. Be courageous to explore something new. Make it with Love for the story, not with Love for the money.
    #singleplayersmatter
  • Just scrolled about this:

original.jpg
    #singleplayersmatter
  • ^Tell them George Lucas did it, and they say it's badly written, it's badly directed, this that and the other. Give them a subpar rip-off poorly written by someone else, and they think it's the best film ever.

"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?" ;)
  • Flambunctious
    17 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Ausrichter wrote: »
    What was Disney thinking?
    Here's my beef with the movie
    • New villain was terrible. Acted like a brat and why did he have a mask? I feel that only vader should have a mask.
    Ausrichter wrote: »
    I feel that only vader should have a mask.
    It was at this point that I stopped reading this man's review.
    ( ͡- ͜ʖ ͡-)
    我不喜欢沙
  • JJ Abbrams doesn't care about plot holes he is all about distracting you with pretty action sequences, which he rushes the audience to every time.

But think about this. If Death Star planet destroys the sun that it rotates around why didn't it go flying off through space when that sun was gone? Does JJ not know how physics work? And why didn't everyone that was not in a space suit or a star ship just suddenly freeze to death?

Now I know Star Wars isn't known for its strict science, but this is ridiculous.
  • I would rate episode VII a perfect score of 5/7
    All hail Thepoolshark, savior of the forums, Lord of TOS and destroyer of trolls and whiny scrubs. Thou shalt bow down before his majesty
  • Before this exits my mind, I believe that the point of this whole thing is that they want to only get people who want to see the later films while excluding "haters"... Well, thats very few people seeing the point of the first star wars and the 7th star wars film.
  • Droid carrying secret info, youth that lives on desert planet, army of weak-armored troopers you ended up liking more than heros, any of this ring a bell?
    "Hello, Bart."
  • Zephkiel wrote: »
    Pretty much. My pet peeve is that they went Mary Sue with Rey (proficient engineer, pilot, combatant, can understand wookie and droids, force sensitive and more capable than Luke with zero training), and our main villain was the opposite: childish, whiny, throws tantrums and can't fight, struggles to use the force and is as scary as a baby duckling.

I couldn't agree with you more Zephkiel hahaha. If you wanna see a good movie I highly recommend watching "The Revenant" over this Star Wars movie any day.
  • Ezio
    974 posts Member
    PCTraitor wrote: »
    JJ But think about this. If Death Star planet destroys the sun that it rotates around why didn't it go flying off through space when that sun was gone? Does JJ not know how physics work? And why didn't everyone that was not in a space suit or a star ship just suddenly freeze to death?

Now I know Star Wars isn't known for its strict science, but this is ridiculous.

Maybe the planet did start flying off through space, how would anybody have been able to tell, since they were on the planet and therefore just moved along with it. Also, plants hold some residual heat after the sun goes down, so at first there would still be heat and it would just cool down like any other cold night, except after about 10 hours or so when the sun should have come back up, it wouldn't have, then the lack of sun would be noticeable.

To sum up, planets trajectory through space was altered, but everyone was on the planet and didn't notice it, and the lack of sunlight would freeze the planet, but not in the time frame that happened in the movie.
  • Droid carrying secret info, youth that lives on desert planet, army of weak-armored troopers you ended up liking more than heros, any of this ring a bell?

No
  • Cassius113 wrote: »
    Zephkiel wrote: »
    Pretty much. My pet peeve is that they went Mary Sue with Rey (proficient engineer, pilot, combatant, can understand wookie and droids, force sensitive and more capable than Luke with zero training), and our main villain was the opposite: childish, whiny, throws tantrums and can't fight, struggles to use the force and is as scary as a baby duckling.

I couldn't agree with you more Zephkiel hahaha. If you wanna see a good movie I highly recommend watching "The Revenant" over this Star Wars movie any day.

'The Revenant'..........worth a look then?
  • The Revenant is a very well made film, draws the viewer into the story and environment.
  • Ausrichter wrote: »
    I feel that Kylo Ren is more scary without the mask. He has that devilish look.

What!?!
    "Hello, Bart."
  • RIFRIG wrote: »
    Droid carrying secret info, youth that lives on desert planet, army of weak-armored troopers you ended up liking more than heros, any of this ring a bell?

No

How's that?
    "Hello, Bart."
  • At least the graphics were great. Lol.

That's the main thing right?
  • This was the worst star wars movie in my opinion. And the part when the ground split to save ren, so lame and cheesy/cliche
  • This was the worst star wars movie in my opinion. And the part when the ground split to save ren, so lame and cheesy/cliche

Right, and no Star Wars movie has ever been cheesy. People hold new Star Wars movies to a standard that not even the original ones would have made it through. Too many people get too caught up in what they think Star Wars should be, just sit back and enjoy it.
  • Kj-ZoSo wrote: »
    The Revenant is a very well made film, draws the viewer into the story and environment.

/\ Bill Cipher would be proud.
    "Hello, Bart."
  • Ezio wrote: »
    This was the worst star wars movie in my opinion. And the part when the ground split to save ren, so lame and cheesy/cliche

Right, and no Star Wars movie has ever been cheesy. People hold new Star Wars movies to a standard that not even the original ones would have made it through. Too many people get too caught up in what they think Star Wars should be, just sit back and enjoy it.

No, I don't think STAR WARS is cheesy? Some 'fans' don't even like all of the OT, and they still try to blame George Lucas for any 'wrong doing' for the classics.

For me, there's no sitting back and enjoying some people slamming the great original works and then doing a heartless rip off and listening to others saying it captured the feel of what it used to be like. LucasFilm has been sold to greedy execs and fools who don't get what STAR WARS was all about to begin with, and don't even like all of it. It's just never going to be that good ever again.

I hope George buys Di$ney shares through lots of small companies, takes majority control, and makes his films properly again. lol ;)
  • i didnt watch it, but from what people told me.. all i have to say is why did solo and leia bother telling their son of his grandfather. least been better parents to prevent their son from becoming another villian.. yea idk. prime example of bad parents i guess.
  • The whole 'I want to be like my grandfather' thing was way over the top, most cringe worthy. A bad story. A wannabe movie in more ways than one.
  • I didn't like it that much either. I hated Rey and Fin and other cool characters where underused. Captain Phasma did nothing despite IMO the coolest character in the movie. I also thought that girl in the Cantina that signaled the First order about the droid I thought was going to be a cool Assad Ventress style character but no she did nothing.

Also there was no Tyber Zann I give the movie 6/10.
  • To each their own. I personally really like the new film and am looking forward to future installments. It's all subjective really.
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • Drome wrote: »
    Just scrolled about this:

original.jpg

According to George Lucas, "It’s like poetry, sort of. They rhyme.”