criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

What is really canon?

Vindictum
567 posts Member
edited January 2016
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

Especially when it concerns the expanded universe. Here it alluded to the expanded universe being canonical even in a vague way, but it's more than vague; it's contradictory to their new storyline thread with the movies. I want to catch up to speed with Star Wars canon but i'm oh so confused, none of it makes sense. Someone save me

SW_Sig_zpsjlznlipn.png
Post edited by GummyBearKing_268 on

Replies

• Star wars rebels is cannon xD
  • http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Boba_Fett

All pages on Wookieepedia are sorted between Legends (previously official canon) and Canon (events that have been re-added to canon since Episode VII launched). Just browsing for a bit should help. :)
  • The expanded Universe IS NOT cannon which is a good thing. Only the movie are cannon (and may be the cartoon about the clone war though I would rather not have them cannonical and expect the prelogy to be remake).

But people are too conservative about canon. You can have several version of the universe (Star Trek and WH40K work like that). This is fiction after all.
    Cordialement,

Skanvak Drakken,
    Chaînes You Tube : https://www.youtube.com/user/skanvak
  • In short the old stuff is out. Comics, novels (yes, Thrawn too), games etc. Basically anything that isn't the movies. What's in now are the new Marvel comics, cartoons (Rebels & Clone Wars), novels etc. Though the movies always takes priority.
  • Probably
    -A convoluted signature

• Apparently The Force Unleashed was canon for awhile but then it got debunked when everyone was mad they formed the rebellion for a rando defector who showed up for ten minutes and saved the princess.

I think the EU was considered somewhere in the middle ground between canon and not though, rather than just a simple black and white scenario. Obviously with the new movie it's out the window and its own entity. The movies are pretty much the Alpha canon and anything that doesn't contradict that is in the green. Like how Zahn wrote that the Clone Wars were 40 years before ANH and then the movies later amended that to 20 years. But Zahn also created Coruscant and that got translated almost directly to TPM.

The EU is/was certainly considered more canon than the books from the Star Trek universe (if any of y'all aren't at a war with that saga). Basically anything show/movie for them is put on one Wiki while all their extraneous books and comics are placed on a separate one. MemoryAlpha and MemoryBeta. At least their reboot didn't rewrite everything ever and just made a parallel universe. But Star Trek is kinda known for the weird stuff.

I'm not going to let the EU go though. I'm more than happy with the direction the new trilogy is headed but you'll pry Mara Jade from my cold dead hands.
  • In short the old stuff is out. Comics, novels (yes, Thrawn too), games etc. Basically anything that isn't the movies. What's in now are the new Marvel comics, cartoons (Rebels & Clone Wars), novels etc. Though the movies always takes priority.
    All vehicles/units appeared in Star Wars Commander is canon.
  • I also found this recently too

Thanks for all the feedback guys n gals =]

SW_Sig_zpsjlznlipn.png
  • Kj-ZoSo
    609 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    ...But Zahn also created Coruscant and that got translated almost directly to TPM...

George Lucas created Coruscant, and Ralph McQuarrie depicted it many years ago in many production paintings for ROTJ. It was also added to the Special Edition before Episode I.

latest?cb=20121220132542

Imperial-Palace.jpg

I'd agree EU would mostly be semi-canon, as Lucas would change things when it came to making his main movies, and probably would have done for the real sequel trilogy.

• It's simple really. Here's what's officially canon.

1. All Star Wars Episodic Movies.
    2. The Clone Wars
    3. Rebels
    4. Specific books based on movie material
  • Every single Star Wars material released after the purchase of Lucasfilm in 2012 is canon unless directly stated. In the case of games like Star Wars Commander, elements from those games are considered canon.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • gio0079
    563 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Actually all mobile Star Wars games are canon.
  • Trooper8059
    10197 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    gio0079 wrote: »

Yes that's what I said. What I meant by elements are the various types of troops and such included in the game. What isn't canon is each players individual base/character.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • gio0079 wrote: »

EU is not cannon, but Freemium games are? Sigh.....
  • boguczed1 wrote: »
    gio0079 wrote: »

EU is not cannon, but Freemium games are? Sigh.....

Yeah, unfortunately.