criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Clone Commando Community Transmission
September Community Calendar

How does aiming/locking work in fighter squadron?

I know you hold the left trigger to lock and your hear the beep noise for the missile, but what about for normal firing do you aim the little dot in the circle?? it seems hard to get damage on vehicles sometimes

Replies

• Don't ask me...I'm downright terrible in that mode. Although, granted I've only played a few matches.

I need to invest some time in it at some point and look for some good tip videos or something.

I pretty much avoid all the vehicles in the game and I'm probably missing out on some good stuff.
  • I know you hold the left trigger to lock and your hear the beep noise for the missile, but what about for normal firing do you aim the little dot in the circle?? it seems hard to get damage on vehicles sometimes

Slower you fly, the more damage you will make. Also if you notice, there are 3 reticles for the starcraft aiming lock. Theres the big one, then a mid one and then a dot. If you line up 2 reticles, its good damage, but if you line up the 3 reticles, its basically 2-3 shots and hes dead.

Hope this is useful for you!

• The lock-on button also helps to line up your blaster fire. Don't hold it all the time or everybody will evade you. The "speed" button has an inverse relationship with blaster power, so at full speed your blasters have no power. Pull back on the stick and blaster strength increases. Good technique is to go towards the enemy fighter at full speed and then as you get close pull back on speed, hit your weapons lock, and then light him up.
  • Hm, good to know.
    Vader is my dad...
  • I was a little confused on the locking at first. I thought that if you were locked onto somebody that's where your blasters would go, but it's really just giving you the option of firing a torpedo at that person if you want to, but your blasters are still going to go wherever that little dot is. Unless you're firing at an A-Wing, then it will disappear into the black hole that A-Wings apparently generate with their engines.
  • As above.

Also, range is important. When you're close enough the inner reticule will turn yellow. One trick that may help is to not lock on while following an enemy fighter, until you are real close, then lock on and fire at will (pull back on the throttle to transfer power to weapons for a quicker kill with lasers). It's just a sneaky way to get close enough to a fighter to take them out, otherwise the constant attempts to lock on advise them of your presence.
  • yellow crosshair = missile locked. its important to know as of now the A wings rarely get hit by torpedos or if they do its glancing with minimal damage. The other 3 spacecraft are easily destroyable by lasers from max targetting range.. X wings and TIE Fighters more than Interceptors
  • Garage_Nation
    99 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    So the yellow reticle is missile lock and the little dot is blaster aim? someone said that when the crosshair is yellow that means your really close to them or something
  • So the yellow reticle is missile lock and the little dot is blaster aim? someone said that when the crosshair is yellow that means your really close to them or something

No. Yellow is blasters locked, white box after the beep is missle lock (same one you get when you use ATST surface to air)
  • I got small problem, when i am steering ( in fighter ) instead of crosshair, yellow dot is moving, its bugged or something ? I never seen this, i cant play with that. Thank you
  • Feel stupid for asking, but how do you fire missiles ? I can't seem to find keybindings for missiles...
  • banner
    57 posts Member
    I know you hold the left trigger to lock and your hear the beep noise for the missile, but what about for normal firing do you aim the little dot in the circle?? it seems hard to get damage on vehicles sometimes

you are talking about fighter squadron on bf1 right? not startfighter on bf2? just making sure. As i see post in bf1 section for asking questions about bf2. Anyway if it is fighter squadron you hold the left trigger to lock on for normal firing to. if you do this and youre not doing damage, its because theyre most likely flying at an angle where you cant do damage. for example if they do a hard turn, doing damage with the lock on is pretty much impossible on a hard turn, you have to fire then not using the lock on, by manually aiming, this is not easy. Also dont listen to the other guys on here saying slow down to do more damage! thats a myth, it only helps when youre super close to them, for obvious reasons. but it also makes you a sitting duck! players like me will eat you up when you do this. Anything at a slight distance youre better off hitting accelerate while locking on and firing, you will do way more damage like this because youre getting closer to them.

tips..get the The cooldown pick up. its the most important item, it allows you to fly non stop with constant speed boost, (which i do) or constant shield use, depending on the ship youre in. this will make you much harder to kill.
    In the tie interceptor when you see a target press RB then lock on then fire, it makes it much more powerful. in the other ships use both missiles and normal firing, sometimes its needed to do both, missiles then fire straight away after that. oh and one trick many dont know about is..if you send the missiles but it doesnt take them out and you lose track of them say.. when the missiles recharged fire again into open space it will go to the last target. if youre on xbox look me up, you can check out my captures BannerPanther9