criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar
Community Transmission

Recommendation on Samsung 40" TV for gaming?

So Battlefront is my main poison on Xbox One. But I am currently playing it on a 28" Sanyo flatscreen that is probably 8 years old. Believe it or not, it looks pretty nice. Then again, I haven't seen it on more modern TVs so I am probably missing out.

I'm planning on getting a Samsung 40" UN40H5003 1080p. This is not the $300+ "smart TV" I don't need the apps, because this TV will be 99% for gaming. It's currently on sale for $279 at Best Buy. Anyone use this TV for gaming and if so, how do you like it? Standard "TV" reviews are very high.

* Unless someone wants to GoFundMe a 55-60" 4k TV, I have to stick with the 40" for location in small office and cost.

Replies

• Hey. I have a 55 inch smart visio and it's too much. Way too much. Unless you have a massive house.

40 inches would be just fine but make sure you check the refresh rate and color depth against industry standards. You can compare on tons of reselling websites.

On the say no 28 inch. Yes you are missing out :). However PC gamers usually operate with monitors smaller than that so, you're already ahead of us in that regard.

Sometimes I turn my 55 inch on just to heat my room. You can feel it coming off the screen.
  • Thanks @MoistGamer for the info. Yep, did check refresh and it's 60, which I understand is pretty much the standard. I've read reviews of the few 120 and that consoles pretty much can't handle over 60 so I think it should be fine.
  • McPhenius wrote: »
    Thanks @MoistGamer for the info. Yep, did check refresh and it's 60, which I understand is pretty much the standard. I've read reviews of the few 120 and that consoles pretty much can't handle over 60 so I think it should be fine.

You can't beat the price you found either ( I don't think). Pull the trigger on it. 1080p won't go out of style for many years. Nobody makes 4k programming. Nobody. Nobody.
  • If you currently game on a 28" TV, I'm guessing you sit in front of a desk? In that case, getting a 27-28" gaming monitor is better. You don't want to have to turn your head to see all the actions on screen.
  • Joonlar
    1154 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    MoistGamer wrote: »
    Hey. I have a 55 inch smart visio and it's too much. Way too much. Unless you have a massive house.

40 inches would be just fine but make sure you check the refresh rate and color depth against industry standards. You can compare on tons of reselling websites.

On the say no 28 inch. Yes you are missing out :). However PC gamers usually operate with monitors smaller than that so, you're already ahead of us in that regard.

Sometimes I turn my 55 inch on just to heat my room. You can feel it coming off the screen.

As someone who upgraded from a 32" last year, my new 48" is not big enough. I still have to sit pretty close to it (around 2 meters). My advice is if you can go bigger and your budget allows it, then do it. The tele will always seem smaller in your house than in the store and moreso when you get accustomed to it after a while.

Also if your online multiplayer guy then research your tvs lag input as that is important for fast paced gaming. I went with a Sony because they have the lowest lag in the business (based on my research from last year anyway)
  • gio0079
    563 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Another reason why gaming monitor is recommended. TV's typically can't go 1 ms response time.