criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

My theory on why Rebels lose in Turning Point

Cyonyde
253 posts Member
I think this screenshot illustrates it well. There were actually 6 snipers. My spawn partner shows up as a yellow dot, and in the recording, his dot was blipping on and off because of the hill. But this angle showed the most dots at any one time.

Anyway, the point being, these players were constantly just sniping instead of playing the objective. The clock hit 1 minute and there was no change in tactic. I was in the speeder the entire objective as was the other player. And we were pretty well coordinated on clearing out the final objective. All they needed was some forward pressure and we would have won. But there just weren't enough "boots on the ground" pushing the objective.

I've been playing this game about 5 weeks now, and this has been my main chorus ever since starting up. Please, Rebels (at least when I'm on Rebel side), put down your sniper rifles and push the final control point, especially during the last minute.

P15JV6C.jpg

Replies

• Trooper8059
    10198 posts Member
    Exactly. It's very easy to predict when a team will win or lose. If the rebels advance only by distracting the imperials on one point and capping the other one with no opposition, its most likely a loss.

If the rebels are incapable in any way of pushing up and holding down the points, then it's always a loss.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Piscettios
    5608 posts Member
    If I snipe on the last objective, I at least move as far up to that right flank as possible to catch the imps moving up... But even when sniping ill storm forward if its not helping. If there was a group like that on my team I wouldn't even bother posting up and sniping. A few can be helpful, five is not. Lol
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Nail on the head. Turning Point is my favorite large map mode and see this all the time. Like previously mentioned, SOME snipers are necessary and have seen them turn the tide but not a bunch and certainly not at the back of the map on the final control point.

Now that TP has expanded to all of the maps, more people are playing it and the games seem more one-sided. I could play a series of matches and they were pretty close and competitive. Now it seems matches are shorter and lopsided.
  • Hooryder
    157 posts Member
    same thing that ruins a great game mode half the time. The mode is so action packed but they ruin it by staying on the back of the map. As soon as you run by 3-4 people you know you are going to lose. They are not going to advance. They think they are gonna kill everyone and help the team but they never do.

Then when the sides switch the other team gets 9 guys in a zone and you are like "this sucks!!!"

This has zero to do with skill and more with lack of playing the objective.
  • Hooryder wrote: »
    same thing that ruins a great game mode half the time. The mode is so action packed but they ruin it by staying on the back of the map. As soon as you run by 3-4 people you know you are going to lose. They are not going to advance. They think they are gonna kill everyone and help the team but they never do.

Then when the sides switch the other team gets 9 guys in a zone and you are like "this sucks!!!"

<b> This has zero to do with skill and more with lack of playing the objective.</b>

Absolutely. Players more concerned with playing it safe to preserve their k/d or trying to do 360 no-scopes for their YouTube channel.
  • Vakyoom
    995 posts Member
    Been saying it since last Tuesday, glad others are noticing it too.

With a stream of new content to a particular mode you'll always find people failing to adapt.
    Cycler lyfe -- All about that Ishi Tib!
  • Cyonyde
    253 posts Member
    Hooryder wrote: »
    They think they are gonna kill everyone and help the team but they never do.

Yeah, I'll see one of these guys, especially if it's my "partner" way in the back, and they'll have some lame score like 4-7 or thereabout.

• Incredibly frustrating, but as a means of discussion, is there anyway to fix this issue?

What if star cards were disabled in the final round for both teams? It would boil the last round to more strategy and positioning, both defensively and offensively. On defense, it would prevent grenade spamming along jumppacking 50 feet from spawn to The score zone. On offense, pulse cannons and cycler rifle campers would switch to a different mode or adjust their play style. Pick ups, such as the squad shield, at-st, thermal imploded could still be used.
  • @kobewankenobi Nah, there's no way to fix this issue. At the end of the day, there's no entrance exam to jumping on a team based shooter. It's the same in battlefield. Sometimes you'll join a whole squad of recon laying prone on a rock in the corner of the map. I'll throw an ammo pack in their field of view and switch squads lol. It doesn't make sense to gimp people who are playing serious to try to discourage sniper campers.

At first I was surprised to see the title of this thread because, the snow speeder is quite OP in turning point.
  • I'm not much of a fan of the Jakku map so I only started playing Turning Point recently when they released it on all maps. Before that, I played Walker Assault 99.9% of the time but it started getting really boring. Each match was like watching a green firework display and the uplinks look like ghost towns. I'm all about the arcade style so I tend to run everywhere guns blazing.

I love how hectic Turning Point can be but there's been quite a few games where I've stood in the open, clear as day, right next to the point, doing the robot dance waiting for the rebels to turn up and no one came...then victory is spread across the screen. It's quite annoying when the objective isn't being played in an objective game and it gets cut short.

I used to have a pulse cannon in my hand to take out snipers and campers in WA but I feel that TP doesn't warrant that kind of long range gun so I ditched it. TP is all about running to the objective, screaming and firing like I'm filming the next Expendables movie. It'd be sad if this goes the way of WA as I love the how crazy and intense this game can be.

I like the idea of no star cards on the last point.
  • @casperzewhite If you have two teams that are pushing the objective, turning point can be a lot of fun.
  • Deerber
    766 posts Member
    Maybe they should introduce some kind of minimum objective points aquired individually otherwise the victory doesn't count for that individual, and they get a draw. Would finally make leechers like that actually play the game.
  • Long range weapons may have their uses but if people are just going to sit at the back of the map making everyone's lives harder it is my opinion that they should be removed or limited to certain game modes.
    Supporter of offline multiplayer! #soloplayersmatter
  • Blazur
    4468 posts Member
    Every game as far back as I can remember has had people dedicated to sniping and not PTFO. It's especially irritating on turning point. If I see team mates constantly doing that I'll often stand directly in front of them and shoot their face.
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • tankertoad
    5814 posts Member
    Classic, you are in a speeder, not taking the objective, doing the exact same thing the snipers are doing. And rationalizing it. Why didnt you go die 15 times and lead the charge? Oh, "I was clearing it off for them". Right.
    41st.org Founder "Where the Game is Winnable."

are-you-threatening-me-gif.gif
  • tankertoad wrote: »
    Classic, you are in a speeder, not taking the objective, doing the exact same thing the snipers are doing. And rationalizing it. Why didnt you go die 15 times and lead the charge? Oh, "I was clearing it off for them". Right.

win.

/thread
    PSN: CRAZYCHILD
  • Agreed OP. Nothing wrong with sniping as a way to clear a path, but sitting back and sniping only is ultimately not helping.

With regard to OP using the speeder, so long as the fighter is working over the imps, that's a few less imps protecting the point. It can be helpful. Said as someone who has been killed multiple times just trying to get to the point, so a good pilot can be of benefit, and more so than those who do not push upon the point.

As with anything in life there's what you have, and how you use it.
  • This is actually the worst game mode to sit back and snipe if you're the rebels. In my own opinion I think it's almost a badge of honor to finish the game with the most deaths as it usually means you were in the thick of it.

To stop the sniping is actually not that difficult. If a quarter of the team is content to sit back and snipe from the hills, all you need is a team of equal amount storm troopers to flank them and take them out. You're actually not really hurting your team as there are plenty of other troopers that can hold off the limited amount of rebels trying to capture the control point. I think once teams start playing this strategy you'll see the sniping subside because they are easy kills when being flanked. Also if they are preoccupied with being flanked they aren't sniping team mates protecting the control point.
  • This is actually the worst game mode to sit back and snipe if you're the rebels. In my own opinion I think it's almost a badge of honor to finish the game with the most deaths as it usually means you were in the thick of it.

To stop the sniping is actually not that difficult. If a quarter of the team is content to sit back and snipe from the hills, all you need is a team of equal amount storm troopers to flank them and take them out. You're actually not really hurting your team as there are plenty of other troopers that can hold off the limited amount of rebels trying to capture the control point. I think once teams start playing this strategy you'll see the sniping subside because they are easy kills when being flanked. Also if they are preoccupied with being flanked they aren't sniping team mates protecting the control point.

The problem is having a team of allies who only snipe, and an enemy team who doesn't care because they are winning.
  • xMonoXide83x
    5 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Couldn't have said it any better!
    I honestly wish they'd have a solo "This is how you play the objective in this mode", where the player is in a single player scenario where they have to activate/capture an objective or control point-kind of mission before people are allowed to play online. Kind of guide them on what they have to do for each type of game mode.

Ya, it's a bit tedious for experienced players who like to play as a team, but, given the casual manner of this game, it has attracted an abundance amount of casual players who, literally, run by objectives, or sit back and do this (OP screen shot).

There has been so many times I yell at my tv because **** clear a control point in Walker Assault, and literally just run away without activating the flippin thing.

On the other end of the spectrum, and this happened to me literally a few hours ago, in the final phase in Walker Assault, me and a partner as Imperials cleared the bunker with the radio, and soon as we cleared, he ran up the corridor without even trying to deactivate the Y-Wing radio.
    I wish they had a form of communication in this game other than the party system.
  • Is it possible to drop a thermal imploded on them or a prox mine?
  • A team actually pulled a rage quit out of me yesterday. First set of TP points on Jakku, match starts and no less than 8 players, stop, don't advance and try sniping. It was a whole scale slaughter of those of us who went for the points. After about 4 mins of no one really doing anything, I bailed.

They were so far back as well, thy could not have even seen imperials outside of the top of the corvette. So yeah, 8 players for one or two maybe snipers that jump up there.
  • Always proud to get MVP on TP when playing as a rebel!
  • You should be able to do friendly melee attacks but they can only be performed on teammates whilst they are holding a pulse rifle.

If you're teammates decide to camp at the back of the map then you've got the opportunity to smack them in the back of the head with the butt of your gun to get them to move up and actually join in the carnage. I think it would work. Ha.
  • Hooryder
    157 posts Member
    The speeder actually helps. But the other guys who refuse to move up don't. I have seen speeders when the game for an aggressive team too much to beat at once. Especially when the at-st isn't shooting the freaking speeders.
  • In Battlefield, If I got stuck with useless snipers, I would just roadkill them with an empty jeep (circumvents friendly fire being disabled) over and over until they ragequit and a useful player took their spot. We need speeder bikes on more maps so we can do the same here.
    61tgj36mc1n9.png

Founding member and commissar in chief of the Church of Janina. PSN: HanGerrelShot1st
  • How about the game is just massively imbalanced. Has nothing to do with the players. Fighter Squadron is another perfect example of game imbalance.
  • In Battlefield, If I got stuck with useless snipers, I would just roadkill them with an empty jeep (circumvents friendly fire being disabled) over and over until they ragequit and a useful player took their spot. We need speeder bikes on more maps so we can do the same here.

Please no, this would leave room for trolls to kill us for no reason. However humorous it would be, please, please, please, no.
  • Deerber
    766 posts Member
    In Battlefield, If I got stuck with useless snipers, I would just roadkill them with an empty jeep (circumvents friendly fire being disabled) over and over until they ragequit and a useful player took their spot. We need speeder bikes on more maps so we can do the same here.

So true.

And we need bikes for the rebels too. Even if it makes squat sense, but at least I can kill those goddamned token campers over and over again.
  • BassGSX35
    1139 posts Member
    Now the evil Rebels knows what's it's like to lose since the imperials lose alot on Fighter Squadron because it's unbalanced.
  • I rarely lose as rebel on turning point
  • Byozuma
    91 posts Member
    Yeah, I've done a few Turning Point matches (as Empire, mind) and each time my side lost... not sure where this idea that the filth loses enough to warrant a thread is coming from.
    --
    There is a war in our stars, we should be able to decide which front we battle for.
    There is a war in our stars, we should be able to choose which front we battle for.
  • Blazur
    4468 posts Member
    Rebels have a tough time in this mode because they have to smash themselves against what should be, in theory, a well fortified control point. And depending on the map there could be line of snipers watching your advance. Dying often and having to repeat the long trek up to the objective can get exhausting and sap your will to be aggressive. It's the same thing the imperials struggle with on walker assault, only I think they respawn further back

One or two snipers are fine. A whole team of snipers really isn't helping the aggressive players who charge points. And when the timer ticks down to 2 minutes, but the friggin sniper rifle away and get up in their business!
    The greatest teacher, failure is.
  • Boyblunder wrote: »
    How about the game is just massively imbalanced. Has nothing to do with the players. Fighter Squadron is another perfect example of game imbalance.

1. We are not talking about FS.
    2. It isn't an imbalance when players decide to stay back to snipe and let the other do the heavy lifting. Imbalance is really good players vs really bad. High level/low level, high kd/low kd. Staying in the back is a conscious decision on the players part, not the games.
  • Well, just had imperials who just stood still while 6 rebels captured the final point with no resistance.

:/
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif