criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Pillaging with the T-47 on Supremecy

Cyonyde
253 posts Member
edited March 2016
Just a general comment here. Not to boast (because seriously anyone can and does do this), but I was laying waste to Empire in Supremecy on Jakku in the T-47. The reason... there was NO Imperial air support. I racked up 67 kills completely unopposed. It wasn't until the literally the last minute (literally 1:00 on the clock) that someone finally went into a TIE fighter and did something about it. After they shot me a few times, I held down the SQUARE button and bailed out with 30 seconds to go.

I think this points to just how much people dislike going into the air as Empire. I know when I do, I die within seconds from an A-Wing almost every time. So rather than being ineffective in the air, wasting time that could be spent capturing objectives, and giving the Rebels free kills in the air, they'd rather take their chances on the ground slogging it out in the hope that the T-47 will go somewhere else ;-) I know that's how I am about it.

I really do hope the Empire gets some love in the next patch when it comes to their air power (or lack thereof).

Replies

• Bignuts1
    190 posts Member
    The tools are there to fight against this. The problem is that when you engage a air target from the ground with ion torp, they just pop their countermeasure and fly out of range until it recharges. This leaves you waiting for you ion torp card to refresh, which by then so will the T 47 countermeasure.
    It's a thankless task in which you spend your whole game looking at the sky trying to take them down, all whilst half the enemy team of pulse cannon campers are taking pot shots at you.
    All you can do is hope that someone who knows what they are doing gets in the ATST to help out.
  • I think there should only be T-47 vs AT-ST in the big game modes like walker assault and supremacy. the ties are utterly useless and three x-wing/a-wing are too much for a single at-st to handle. on turning point a good at-st operator can keep the sky clean no problem.
  • James55
    257 posts Member
    Dammit people still don't get that the pulse canon is better at taking down T-47s than an ion torpedo, it does loads of damage and the T-47 is an easy target!
    star_wars_tag_by_krilce.png
  • James55 wrote: »
    Dammit people still don't get that the pulse canon is better at taking down T-47s than an ion torpedo, it does loads of damage and the T-47 is an easy target!

Word ! I have personally shot down hundreds of aircraft with the Cannon. Its all about caching the rebel scum at low speed, strafing for kills on the open fields
  • ATST works great until the sky hoggers get fed up of you and ram. You can literally watch them lining up for their kanikaze run and you have a couple of seconds to take them out before they hit.
  • Skywalker485
    636 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    I guess most people just want to stay out of the air rather than try and get better. The Imperials are actually more balanced than ever since they nerfed the A-wing. There's not been a single game of walker assault since the patch when I couldn't survive a TIE fighter or TIE interceptor into the third phase. I actually do better on Supremacy as the Imperials since you only fight 2 real threats at a time. The T-47 doesn't really provide air to air support.

Here's some tips

I'm also working on a video with a handful of really simple and useful fighter maneuvers and tactics you can use to have a huge advantage on the 99% of people out there that don't really understand jet mechanics. Hopefully I finish it today.

-Sky
  • Old_fella_1963
    4697 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    bottom line is simple. It's not thought out in a game mode where 20 randoms can come together - the idea of counters always presumes organised teams -not at all realistic!!! Token Locations need randomising /restricting in use per player ( how many months has this been the issue? - 100% since game release )

PC as a counter now? - what a joke you will die having to stand rock still since Feb patch . GtA is too weak against token campers
  • Cyonyde
    253 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Bignuts1 wrote: »
    The tools are there to fight against this. The problem is that when you engage a air target from the ground with ion torp, they just pop their countermeasure and fly out of range until it recharges. This leaves you waiting for you ion torp card to refresh, which by then so will the T 47 countermeasure.
    It's a thankless task in which you spend your whole game looking at the sky trying to take them down, all whilst half the enemy team of pulse cannon campers are taking pot shots at you.
    All you can do is hope that someone who knows what they are doing gets in the ATST to help out.

Yes I totally agree with this. I make it a personal rule... If I get strafed twice in a row by the same T-47, I switch over to my "Anti-vehicle" loadout. I stop what I am doing (usually running-and-gunning) and focus on taking down the pesky flyer.

I've upgraded ion torpedo and grenade to have shorter cooldowns. And you are right... if you are the only person trying to counter the flyer, it's an exercise in futility. If flown in a pattern of loops, the T-47 can come into range with a fresh jammer every pass. With just one person in opposition, it's not enough to take him out. It will annoy the guy into paranoia though, what with the constan missile lock noise.

It takes two people at least. One person locks, causes the T-47 to use its countermeasures, and that leaves an opening for the second person's torpedo to land a hit. Hopefully other people with pulse rifles take notice also. A pulse rifle is probably the thing I fear the most when I'm flying that thing.

Also, the AT-ST can really mess up my day when I'm in the T-47. It's homing missile has a short cooldown, and it takes zero skill to use. Just aim in the general direction and press the button. I don't understand why more people don't bother to do this. I guess they are more focused on getting kills on the ground than dealing with the flyer. Fair enough.

Which leads me to another little rule of mine. LOL. If the AT-ST is at full health, then I will ignore it in the T-47. It's rock/paper/scissors I guess. It just takes too long for the T-47 to kill that AT-ST, and shooting it from the sky is like kicking over a hornet's nest. It's best not to attract its attention and let the people on the ground deal with it via power ups. And, if the AT-ST reciprocates and leaves me alone, then I will leave it alone ;-) heh.

However, the inverse is true as well. Last night I had an AT-ST on Jakku that was driving me bananas. He was focusing solely on me, before I even fired a shot. I tried to make a strafing run, and here comes the missile lock and here comes his blaster fire. When I was flying around in a wide circle, I could see him turning to face me. I tried again after my cooldowns reset, and same thing. I tried a third time, same deal. So I said screw it. I hit the speed boost and did a kamakazi right into that SOB. It was pretty funny actually.

I'll see if I can find the recording of that footage and post it here. :D
  • Doing a speed boost and ramming your ship into an atst is about the weakest thing you can do in this game.
  • Bignuts1
    190 posts Member
    Cyonyde wrote: »

Yes I totally agree with this. I make it a personal rule... If I get strafed twice in a row by the same T-47, I switch over to my "Anti-vehicle" loadout. I stop what I am doing (usually running-and-gunning) and focus on taking down the pesky flyer.

I've upgraded ion torpedo and grenade to have shorter cooldowns. And you are right... if you are the only person trying to counter the flyer, it's an exercise in futility. If flown in a pattern of loops, the T-47 can come into range with a fresh jammer every pass. With just one person in opposition, it's not enough to take him out. It will annoy the guy into paranoia though, what with the constan missile lock noise.

It takes two people at least. One person locks, causes the T-47 to use its countermeasures, and that leaves an opening for the second person's torpedo to land a hit. Hopefully other people with pulse rifles take notice also. A pulse rifle is probably the thing I fear the most when I'm flying that thing.

Also, the AT-ST can really mess up my day when I'm in the T-47. It's homing missile has a short cooldown, and it takes zero skill to use. Just aim in the general direction and press the button. I don't understand why more people don't bother to do this. I guess they are more focused on getting kills on the ground than dealing with the flyer. Fair enough.

Which leads me to another little rule of mine. LOL. If the AT-ST is at full health, then I will ignore it in the T-47. It's rock/paper/scissors I guess. It just takes too long for the T-47 to kill that AT-ST, and shooting it from the sky is like kicking over a hornet's nest. It's best not to attract its attention and let the people on the ground deal with it via power ups. And, if the AT-ST reciprocates and leaves me alone, then I will leave it alone ;-) heh.

However, the inverse is true as well. Last night I had an AT-ST on Jakku that was driving me bananas. He was focusing solely on me, before I even fired a shot. I tried to make a strafing run, and here comes the missile lock and here comes his blaster fire. When I was flying around in a wide circle, I could see him turning to face me. I tried again after my cooldowns reset, and same thing. I tried a third time, same deal. So I said screw it. I hit the speed boost and did a kamakazi right into that SOB. It was pretty funny actually.

You disgust me!
  • fmpauley
    473 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Cyonyde wrote: »

Actually, I take down just about everything by myself. It does take focus, and you will have to give up your kill streak, but I take down multiple vehicles per round. I load out Ion torpedo, ion shot and PC. Best way to trick a speeder is to start with Ion Torpedo lock (don't fire it) and wait for the jammer. Once they set the jammer they will start their attack run, and you switch to PC and then lead a bit and BAM take about 30-40%, then as they pass by immediately switch back to ion torpedo and lock and fire, you will get your hit. Or, just be patient and wait for the turn, lock, don't fire, and maintain lock, then fire the second the jammer is off. Remember, the speeder is SLOW and your torpedo is faster now, it cant out run it.

All my cards are upgraded so I have the best cooldown times, and I can keep this up all day. Occasionally you will get some evasive maneuvers, you just have to be patient and never fire without seeing the counter measure first - unless they ignore the counters, then you know they are not experienced and you can lay into them at will.

I can keep pressure on two air vehicles at the same time, and if anything is helping out (a tie or AT-ST), then you can knock these things out very easily. And don't just worry about your K/D, I get top of the leader board and have been as many as seven kills behind second place, but if you take out fighters and speeders and turrets, etc. your POINTS will still be high.
  • Bignuts1
    190 posts Member
    I just had the pleasure of grabbing the last tie fighter on the final phase. No a wings left and I was picking the speeders off at will.
    Just watching those **** squirming trying to get away made my game. Not once could they smash the ground troops to bits as I was straight on their back pounding them if they dared make a strafing run.
    Haven't checked my inbox yet but I'm sure I've had loads of abuse!
  • Cyonyde wrote: »

I hear you on using the anti vehicle loadout. As a veteran T-47 pilot, I do want to add something. In regard to tactics, a good pilot can completely nullify the use of the ion torpedo. If you activate the jammer on the approach and speed boost on the egress it is difficult for anyone to even get a shot off. If they do, you are at the edge of their range, and can use the evasive to get rid of that missile. From there it is simply rinse and repeat. The only thing that can get me out of that speeder is pulse cannon/ion shot, or a tie fighter attack. The T-47 is invulnerable to ion torp if the pilot uses good tactics and patience.
  • fmpauley
    473 posts Member

I hear you on using the anti vehicle loadout. As a veteran T-47 pilot, I do want to add something. In regard to tactics, a good pilot can completely nullify the use of the ion torpedo. If you activate the jammer on the approach and speed boost on the egress it is difficult for anyone to even get a shot off. If they do, you are at the edge of their range, and can use the evasive to get rid of that missile. From there it is simply rinse and repeat. The only thing that can get me out of that speeder is pulse cannon/ion shot, or a tie fighter attack. The T-47 is invulnerable to ion torp if the pilot uses good tactics and patience.

I've seen that defense, but there are two things. One, in my experience, I've never had a pilot maintain the discipline of that defense over and over again. They might use it once or twice, but eventually they slip up and make themselves vulnerable. Second, lots of pilots don't speed boost past the point of lock on, they turn around too soon and stay in range, before their jammers refresh. A ground troop with patience, I think, will win most of the time.
  • GRDNANGL172
    5513 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, not many have the patience for this. That is true. I generate a lot of rage from the enemy if I fly it. Flying crawling slow and using the climb evasive is good against ties to stall them. I can usually lead them right into our fighter support while they tunnel vision on me and try to hit without the soft lock when the jammer is active.
  • Boostr
    73 posts Member
    How do you get missile lock with a AT-ST?
    Vader is my dad...
  • You just shoot in the general direction. The missile will self lock and track after launch. Just play the AT-ST training for practice.