criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar

How to make fighter squadron cooler, better and balanced.

I thought up some ideas that would be easy for dice/ea to implement into their current system, and make fighter squadron more that just mini game mode that most people seem to play just a few games of every now and then. It deserves better. First of all:

Customizable ships. Subtle colour changes, decals and logos all unlockable with also a black x-wing/tie fighter (something similar to poes, or the tie they flew in TFA) possibly 3-4 variants/shades of that, as unlocks at max rank.

Star cards for ships. You should be able to choose sheild over speed boost, or what missiles or torpedoes you want. This would balance the problem imps have over the rebels as well. Why not add in a few more, radar jammer, homing space mines?

Mini Heros or more Heros! Fly as wedge with increased hp and speed, or fly in vaders custom tie with regen and better canons... Just an idea.

Another game mode. Jets be honest fighter squadron is abit simple! Bring out one with different objectives, and you could have different turret power ups (similar to the AT-AT power up) or a power up to control a star destroyer or rebel frigate from distance (for a limited time also) how cool would that be?

Just some ideas anyway, I think it would easy to do most of this stuff anyway! what do you guys think???! Feedback wanted :)

Replies

• Klaas
    128 posts Member
    awesome ideas!! Wanna post them in the feedback section for the team?
  • I would love personalized fighters.
    Tbh, they should remove shields altogether, or give them to everyone
  • These are all great ideas. Let's make it happen!
  • I wholly agree with the additional game modes, the customization stuff is a decent idea too, but no one can really see anyone else's ship in any real detail so it seems a waste of time.

I'm not crazy about the additional hero PUps.
    I think the current hero PUps are fine they way they are.
  • handcuff wrote: »
    I wholly agree with the additional game modes, the customization stuff is a decent idea too, but no one can really see anyone else's ship in any real detail so it seems a waste of time.

Do you think they should nerf hero health again or extend the game length?
  • handcuff
    923 posts Member
    Adtrfan_25 wrote: »
    handcuff wrote: »
    I wholly agree with the additional game modes, the customization stuff is a decent idea too, but no one can really see anyone else's ship in any real detail so it seems a waste of time.

Do you think they should nerf hero health again or extend the game length?

Now that you mention it, the games do breeze by very quickly...
    The only thing I dislike about fighter squadron is that either I havent figured out how to use Tie fighter/interceptors well or they are really overmatched by the rebel ships. I can go on pretty mean streaks pretty easy in any other ship, but I dont seem to stand a chance in a TIE.

I am not alone either, I would say 90 of the games I play the rebel side wins, and probably half of those they win by a 2 to 1 margin.

I dont like insta-screaming OP!! rather I understand game development and realize that 90% of people simply are not catching on to the pros/cons/ of each side and taking advantage of them. They figure out the pros for one side and just assume they can play on the other side using the same tactics. So I just presumed with as little as I play FS, I just havent figured out TIEs yet.

I think the heros are fine now, but I could go for maybe extending the game to 500 kills or at least give the option to play 500 kills vs 200 kills, and then maybe setting hero ships to be a timer like AT-AT's with the ability to extend your time by scoring kills just like ATATs up to a certain limit, and then the token doesnt appear for you again until the next game/round.
  • excellent ideas...How about walker assault for FS...

Instead of AT-ATs have 1 or 2 star destroyers moving to destroy a critically damaged Mon Calamari. The destroyers take a huge amount of damage. Rebel Fighters have to decide to either attack Star Destroyer or occupy the Imperial Fighters so your buddies can do damage to the Destroyer....There could be amplifiers to boost your damage output...Like maybe if you focus on attacking Star Destroyers shield generator. If you pull it off the Star Destroyers take additional damage

Instead of AT-ATs have 1 or 2 star destroyers moving to destroy a critically damaged Mon Calamari. The destroyers take a huge amount of damage. Rebel Fighters have to decide to either attack Star Destroyer or occupy the Imperial Fighters so your buddies can do damage to the Destroyer....There could be amplifiers to boost your damage output...Like maybe if you focus on attacking Star Destroyers shield generator. If you pull it off the Star Destroyers take additional damage

would you have ways to take the shield down like uplinks and y-wings or would you just be trying to destroy the star destroyers the whole time?
  • Maybe like once your team destroys x amount of imperial star fighters, the shields go down and you can do damage to the star destroyers

Did you ever play the original battlefronts? They had the best space battles. If you don't know you should look it up. That's what we need. It basically what you are describing but so much more. Personally my favorite aspect was landing in the enemy flag ship's hanger, then wrecking havoc on it's main systems from the inside.
    ฯGreatVegetableฯ

• Adtrfan_25 wrote: »
    excellent ideas...How about walker assault for FS...

would you have ways to take the shield down like uplinks and y-wings or would you just be trying to destroy the star destroyers the whole time?

attack them the whole time...They are really really strong and can take it
    excellent ideas...How about walker assault for FS...

Did you ever play the original battlefronts? They had the best space battles. If you don't know you should look it up. That's what we need. It basically what you are describing but so much more. Personally my favorite aspect was landing in the enemy flag ship's hanger, then wrecking havoc on it's main systems from the inside.

Of course I played it. Thats what I was basing it on. Thou it wouldnt work with current engine to board enemy ship (at least alot would have to change)
  • if they want to use a starcards in it, then how bout chaffs or Flares ?

In X-wing vs tie fighter before you went out to battle you had the choice of either or to help with missile defense.

Men lie, women lie, Numbers dont
    No%20Hero%20Pick%20ups_zpslyvl9npw.jpg
    anti hero pick up.
  • if they want to use a starcards in it, then how bout chaffs or Flares ?

In X-wing vs tie fighter before you went out to battle you had the choice of either or to help with missile defense.

That games was just freaking beautiful, such attention to detail even with the limited cpu resources from back then.
    If they would take the exact same game and just beautify it with today's graphis, I would pay full price in a heartbeat.