criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

Please change the name of the Personal Shield Generator

Cyonyde
253 posts Member
In light of the recent gameplay changes associated with the DLC, the Personal Shield Generator's name should be changed. It should now be named...

"Sitting Duck Machine"

Replies

• Vakyoom
    995 posts Member
    Lol good joke

But I agree, I could already take out shield users easy as pie before but now they can't do a thing but jump and flail their elbows helplessly rofl.

Dice needs to figure out how to make changes without dismantling something's functionality at the same time.

It looks like they nerfed PS health too. Takes way less shots than before to pop unless I'm just missing something.

Gonna be an exciting month on the forums either way.
    Cycler lyfe -- All about that Ishi Tib!
  • Eh the way i used the shield was to turn off and on uplinks and secure vehicle/hero coins. None of that changed for me.
  • I think it should be renamed "Douchey Cheapskate's Last Resort."
  • Cyonyde
    253 posts Member
    I was really jazzed about this DLC. But then I heard in the streams last week this tiny little bit of info that was pretty much easy to miss. It was just mentioned that shields would now block grenades. No mention that you could not THROW grenades or use your jumpack while shielded. This major change was completely understated in the runup to release. It really wasn't until the patch notes were posted that this information was really known as certain.

I played maybe a dozen games today. In every game, I died or killed myself in some way related to these changes. I posted a separate thread showing how I killed myself throwing a toxin grenade that somehow got embedded in my teammate's bubble right next to me. I also died while using bubble and not being able to escape an orbital strike, or not being able to jetpack away from enemies to establish a safe fighting distance.

I'm really frustrated right now. This release has completely ALTERED the way I play this game. I have a loadout that I call "Tactical Assault". It's really quite basic and common, and I imagine that a high percentage of players use the same loadout...

jump pack
    thermal grenade
    personal sheild generator

This is ALWAYS my starting hand. Depending on the map, I would rotate through a different set of backup loadouts as my second set, to deal with certain situations. Pulse on Endor, Anti-Vehicle on Jakku. But I always used my "Tactical Assault" loadout in every game.

So yeah, this change has me discombobulated in a big way. I don't like it at all. I don't want to have to learn a new set of skills. I was doing quite well with my loadout of choice. And these changes just seem arbitrary to me.

I read these forums every day and I have not seen a big clamoring or outcry about the way shields behave. Sure there are random complaints about too many people using bubble, but there are also just as many, if not more, complaints about pulse rifles and the vastly overused Explosive Shot.
  • :lol: this is golden
  • MadVlad
    432 posts Member
    :lol: this is golden

Exactly
  • Vakyoom
    995 posts Member
    Yea at this point I really just feel bad for people who used shield. I could've seen a nerf of some kind but whew....

Now that scan pulse got its CD doubled I can use that without feeling guilty lol.

And omg the scattergun is so juicy. It practically aims the second shot itself.
  • Cyonyde
    253 posts Member
    IKR

Scan pulse... why did it need such a huge nerf? For Pete's sake, you hardly ever see Scan Pulse in the game as it is. The only time it really comes into play is on Endor, when such a thing was actually useful. Again, was there some big uproarious clamour to have Scan Pulse nerfed? Was it soooo awfully overused as to deserve it being literally cut in half?

Jeez DICE. What gives with this sadistic changes?
  • Sbroffage
    737 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Eh the way i used the shield was to turn off and on uplinks and secure vehicle/hero coins. None of that changed for me.

Exactly, now pussies that should have died will die as soon as the shield wears off (I still don't think it will happen a lot).
    More tactical this way, people will use it when it's really needed, not when they are running in the open under some turret fire because they're lazy and don't want to take the covered path.

As they shortened the Jetpack cooldown, seems rational this change.
  • Sbroffage wrote: »
    Eh the way i used the shield was to turn off and on uplinks and secure vehicle/hero coins. None of that changed for me.

Exactly, now pussies that should have died will die as soon as the shield wears off (I still don't think it will happen a lot).
    More tactical this way, people will use it when it's really needed, not when they are running in the open under some turret fire because they're lazy and don't want to take the covered path.

As they shortened the Jetpack cooldown, seems rational this change.

People will use it whenever they feel like it lol.

And the jump pack change was not rational for balance it just helps to get around on the new maps easier since they're so tall.
  • tts42572
    1079 posts Member
    Tried using the shield last night as I always have and it felt completely useless....And just wait until more people unlock that scatter gun....Forget about it.

I was playing drop zone with it last night and it really was doing nothing for me. Pretty much it's only use is if somebody is shooting at you at range with a blaster and they don't have explosive shot. If you're close range or somebody is using explosive, you're wasting your time.

The shield was fine as it was...But now it's about as effective as the homing shot.

They've double-whammied it by reducing the ability to throw grenades while in it yet bring out more stuff that can negate it.
  • I noticed that the thermal detonators not only can't be thrown out of a shield by a player when they are in personal as well as group shields, but you can't throw one into them anymore either. I was always under the impression that a solid object could penetrate just not any other? I do think this should be changed back to the way it was before. I don't use either, but it was nice to get a group inside of a shield in bunkers to either disperse when throwing a thermal or die when it exploded inside the shield.
  • tts42572 wrote: »
    Tried using the shield last night as I always have and it felt completely useless....And just wait until more people unlock that scatter gun....Forget about it.

I was playing drop zone with it last night and it really was doing nothing for me. Pretty much it's only use is if somebody is shooting at you at range with a blaster and they don't have explosive shot. If you're close range or somebody is using explosive, you're wasting your time.

The shield was fine as it was...But now it's about as effective as the homing shot.

They've double-whammied it by reducing the ability to throw grenades while in it yet bring out more stuff that can negate it.

Obviously you were too reliant on it then, I don't know, I didn't feel any difference at all for my playstyle, but maybe because I just pop it when I really need it, not everytime I'm below 100 health.

And I'm still activating droids and uplinks and taking vehicle pickups.

I overall like very much these new shield changes (even the squad shield), hopefully it will stop people from just lobbing imploders and grenades from 30m away defeating the shield purpose (if staying in there is more harm than good why bother?), and encourages the use of more ion guns (shots, grenades).

I also believe that they took out the possibility of throwing a grenade while activating personal shield for 2 reasons: 1) if grenades explode upon impact then you will kill yourself everytime.
    2) now that impact grenade is back to max damage it will be too good to just pop shield becoming "invulnerable" while also being able to instakill your enemy (thermal requires a certain distance, you can't thermal kill a player at short range).

As for what concerns the bold part I think ES should be nerfed, it should do half damage against shields, or overheat the gun faster than normal. But one can only dream.
  • As a PSG addict i have to say this is a really good change, it wasn't called a personal offensive shield generator so didn't make much sense to spam thermal imploders and grenades then jetpack away while being almost completely invulnerable.

Much appreciated change, and the scan pulse nerf is well deserved.