criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

I need some Cycler Rifle tips

Cyonyde
253 posts Member
I'm trying to get the Hutt Contracts done, and I'm on the deal with needing 15 kills with the Cycler Rifle.

I'm not used to this style of gameplay. I like to rush in balls out and go crazy. The few shots I've landed with this gun don't kill the target. Is it a range deal?

Anyway, I could use some tips, if anyone feels like being generous.

Replies

• Jaywal
    2856 posts Member
    Use the thing as an up close shield poppin shot gun. OHK Baby!
    May the force be with you.
  • Deerber
    766 posts Member
    Shots to the body/head under 10m are a OHK. At longer range, you need headshots.

Long range headshots are very satisfying to pull off and I would really recommend you try to get some eventually, but they're definitely not the easiest nor faster way to get the 15 kills.

The easiest and fastest way is to use it as a shotgun. Play smart, use scout and find a guy who's running alone. Set up an ambush, and when he's close pop out from behind cover and impale him ;)

Or, just play an objective more like drop zone cargo and look out for the bubble boys. While some actually have a brain, most feel invulnerable while in their shields, and they will not even try to strafe or anything, but just come at you straight into your cycler muzzle :)
  • Jaywal
    2856 posts Member
    Deerber wrote: »
    Shots to the body/head under 10m are a OHK. At longer range, you need headshots.

Long range headshots are very satisfying to pull off and I would really recommend you try to get some eventually, but they're definitely not the easiest nor faster way to get the 15 kills.

The easiest and fastest way is to use it as a shotgun. Play smart, use scout and find a guy who's running alone. Set up an ambush, and when he's close pop out from behind cover and impale him ;)

Or, just play an objective more like drop zone cargo and look out for the bubble boys. While some actually have a brain, most feel invulnerable while in their shields, and they will not even try to strafe or anything, but just come at you straight into your cycler muzzle :)

Well said good sir!

OP:
    Here are some short Hands on videos of cycler-ing

This one is a 3min montage of just long distance headshots. This is before they buffed it. It used to be only a headshot weapon, slower bullet speed and a more intense drop like in this video:

It will be easier than that^
    May the force be with you.
  • mcb743
    140 posts Member
    Cyonyde wrote: »
    I'm trying to get the Hutt Contracts done, and I'm on the deal with needing 15 kills with the Cycler Rifle.

I'm not used to this style of gameplay. I like to rush in balls out and go crazy. The few shots I've landed with this gun don't kill the target. Is it a range deal?

If you dont get on with the cycler rifle then youl hate the 19x!
  • Don't forget to use 1st person for long shots. Third person will cause sight distortion. Should be easy to chalk up some kills at close range though. You can hip fire it up close and own people. Try waiting just to the side of a door where you can see down the hallway where enemies will come through. Just before they reach the door, strafe out and hip fire into them. Works every time. Unless they scan pulse you, which is almost never now that it has been nerfed twice.
  • Deerber
    766 posts Member
    Don't forget to use 1st person for long shots. Third person will cause sight distortion. Should be easy to chalk up some kills at close range though. You can hip fire it up close and own people. Try waiting just to the side of a door where you can see down the hallway where enemies will come through. Just before they reach the door, strafe out and hip fire into them. Works every time. Unless they scan pulse you, which is almost never now that it has been nerfed twice.

Yeah that's the easiest way. And to be honest, even if they pulse you, nothing much they can do except get the **** out, unless they have some nice power up.
  • Cyonyde
    253 posts Member
    Awesome info! Thx for the tips.

I seemed to figure out one basic tenet to follow... don't hang back and camp with it with the sole purpose of getting cycler rifle kills. That doesn't work. I played a game or two just doing that, and it was miserable frustrating experience.

So then I switched to just playing the objective as I always do, and dealing with each situation that unfolded in front of me. The results were much better. I see how a long distance shot requires a headshot to get a kill. I don't know what the actual distance is. But it seems like any distance at all greater than "medium" requires a headshot to get a kill.

And yes... bubble popping is great fun. In fact, now that they've changed the way bubbles work (i.e. they repel grenades), I may just switch out thermal nade for cycler. It is satisfying to crack open a bubble.

See the third kill in this little snippet I just threw together from a game on Jakku...

• Cyonyde
    253 posts Member
    I like the idea of using the single player battles as practice. Get the feel for it, and doesn't gimp one's k/d in the process ;-)
  • aim high and slightly to the other direction, takes practice but eventually ya just do it without thinking.
  • My aim sucks half the time & I thought the 15 Cycler rifle kills was gonna be impossible. But as long as you keep at it & don't give up, you'll be able to complete it. I went on drop zone where you know the enemy will be heading for & try to pop them with the Cycler up close like others said. The long range sniping is way harder as the target is usually moving.
  • Watch this guy:
    https://www.twitch.tv/brothasupshall/mobile

He is a monster with the cycler rifle and the reason why I almost solely use it. Learned a great deal from him
  • shoot the guy once or twice then pull out the cycler to finish them off. if they hav e full health and you dont get a headshot they will have a little health left
  • I'm in the same predicament too, so thanks to the OP and for everyone that has suggested hints and tips, never used this weapon before and I'm a cr4p with it! :smiley:
  • My 15th cycler rifle kill was by far my most satisfying. Playing blast in the rebel hoth base and there was this guy hiding among the cargo containers picking guys off all the way across the hanger. I saw the muzzle flash and zoomed in to aim. All you could see was his head. Boom. Headshot. One dead Rodian and I get Jabba congratulating me.
  • One of the hardest things is getting used to its aim. Always aim above the the head. Once I got used to this, it became easier. Even hip shot a headshot when I took the high ground. The reason for this is that the bullet drop-off is immense. You have to compensate for it.
    On Drop Zone, use it for shield counters as its necessary.
  • The cycler rifle played against my type of game but I read on the forums to use it as a shotgun and boom 15 kills in about 5-6 matches.Mainly used it on extraction and cargo. I'm an average gamer.Hope this helps.
  • Cyonyde wrote: »

ok so play in third person, corner peak and play cargo. Here are some examples

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_oDXg082ntw
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=C4f0PwZVVvk
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=DGhNcP0UjfA
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=I0J3vWmL-vw
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=4d1X7uLGkRc

Top one and bottom two are the most helpful, bottom two are about 10 seconds each.
  • Deerber
    766 posts Member
    One of the hardest things is getting used to its aim. Always aim above the the head. Once I got used to this, it became easier. Even hip shot a headshot when I took the high ground. The reason for this is that the bullet drop-off is immense. You have to compensate for it.
    On Drop Zone, use it for shield counters as its necessary.

It was balanced. Now it hardly drops at all.
  • I'm doing the same contract, I have 5 or 7 kills so far only, but I haven't even focused on using it too much, just play like a normally do, play the objective, and remember to bring it up to smash guys with the shield.
    Popping a head shot to a running target over 100yds away is so darn satisfying. Just try to have fun, play the objective, use some of the advice from above, you'll get those 15 kills before you know it.
  • Cyonyde
    253 posts Member
    Here's a compilation of my last 7 or 8 Cycler Rifle kills. It's not pretty. Rude, crude, and inelegant, but it got the job done ;-)