criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Shock Jumping - OP, Skill or Scrub?

Whilst trying to get Scatter Gun II I was obviously using the Shock Blast and Scatter Gun a fair bit. I happened to jump on a guy accidentally and was able to despatch him in one shot as I landed without him even seeing me. So I started to use this as a tactic....sometimes it ended horribly (for me) but after a while I worked out when and where to do it. Sullust blast map seemed to suit it well. I also then thought the scatter gun could be used to do it also. My question is ...what do you all think about this tactic? Is it scrub or skill and has anyone seen others doing it or doing it themselves?
Join the Old Farts Clan on Facebook // Xbox - GT: Coronal Aurora

Replies

• MadVlad
    432 posts Member
    Kill people anyway you can buddy
  • Sbroffage
    737 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    It's a good tactic as any other, and you can't fire it at their feet to kill them so it requires a bit of aim.
    Imho those which are not tactics but lag/hit detection abuses are bunny hopping and AD-AD spamming, they should greatly reduce the accuracy, at least, I wonder why real soldiers don't do that...seems great. :o
  • Joonlar
    1154 posts Member
    It's not the most skillful thing in the world but you're using up 2 star cards at a time when you do it and you tend to jump yourself into enemy lines which makes surviving after the initial kill hard (this is where the real skill is, surviving after-the-fact), so there are real drawbacks to this tactic which is precisely why you dont see many people running with a jumpcast/jumpscout/jumpscat loadout

it's a totally legit tactic and fair play to anyone who can pull it off consistently and do well
  • Jumpscatting sounds like an entirely unpleasant way to be killed. May need a new nickname for that, one that's a little less poop based.

On topic It's fairplay if you can pull it off as far as I'm concerned. Especially if you're regularly surviving after the initial takedown.

One of my favorite kills in this came from jumpcasting over a camped sniper and dropping a proxy mine behind them. They blew up and I never stopped moving. It was wholly satisfying, but certainly took way less skill than jump jawa-shotgunning a guy to death.
    I'm absolutely *awful* at this game. Just abysmal. My advice is most likely garbage.
  • Deerber
    766 posts Member
    I find it legit. Especially when coupled with focus fire :whistling:
  • MadVlad wrote: »
    Kill people anyway you can buddy

This.
  • Coronal_Aurora
    145 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for the comments all....I doubt I will use it much now that I have Scatter gun 2 but it was an interesting and quite satisfying ploy for a while. Its high risk without too much reward especially when jumping into a group. I suppose the trick is to pick off that isolated sniper that you can't reach with the CA-87...
    Anyway RIP to the Admiral...
  • Joonlar
    1154 posts Member
    Thanks for the comments all....I doubt I will use it much now that I have Scatter gun 2 but it was an interesting and quite satisfying ploy for a while. Its high risk without too much reward especially when jumping into a group. I suppose the trick is to pick off that isolated sniper that you can't reach with the CA-87...

This is where bowcaster comes in... :D
  • Deerber
    766 posts Member

If you want some tips about it...

Use scout and possibly even scan pulse if you're not running focus fire, to get you every information advantage possible. If you spot a lone guy, easy. If you spot a group, it's much safer to approach from behind, and kill the one who's lagging behind in the group, then proceed to make your way onward. Scout 2 helps tremendously with survivability doing that.

If the group is in front of you, it's better not to engage really, but circle behind it and/or set an ambush. The exception is if the group is engaged to some of your teammates which are coming from a different direction than you are. Then you can try to jump-shot the guy behind everyone else, as usual, and proceed forward. Be aware that, depending on the group's level of skill and awareness, you might get spotted during the jump and killed very quickly after landing. However, if they are distracted, I find it a safe enough bet for the return you get if they don't notice you. Plus, even if you get killed, they'll have turned their backs on your teammates, so they're probably going down very soon. From a team point of you, it's almost always a winning move.
  • Thanks Deerber...solid advice..although I'm kidding myself if I think I have the skill to take out a large group..will give it a go tho' ;-)
  • Deerber
    766 posts Member
    Thanks Deerber...solid advice..although I'm kidding myself if I think I have the skill to take out a large group..will give it a go tho' ;-)

It's much, much easier than you'd think, if you keep your cool and don't make rushed decisions, but rather reasoned ones. Don't jump into a group of 3 enemies while they're aware of you. You'll die. Every single time, regardless of your skill level. You might take one or two down, but you'll die in the process. I think one of the most overlooked "skills" in a shooter is knowing when to engage and when not to.

On the other hand though, if you can get the jump on a group from behind and start killing the ones lagging behind with scout 2 up... You'll be surprised at how easy it is. Just point and shoot, and 95% of the times they won't even try to react.

One thing I can add about this is to still keep the minimap in check while you're getting close for the kills. Many times when you see a group of players together it's because they just spawned. And if their spawn point is still there, you might find yourself with enemy on your 6 when there was none a few seconds before... And that sucks ;)
  • Deerber
    766 posts Member
    Oh, another very important thing, which is gonna get you killed a lot if you don't keep your cool 100%. I know it still gets me killed a lot.

If you see a group running perpendicular to you and they don't notice you, your first instinct is gonna be to get on their 6 and start killing them. But many, many, many times there will be someone lagging behind the group and following it which is gonna give you a taste of your own medicine. So don't take rushed decisions, keep your cool and check if the group's over or someone's still coming. If they're still coming, wait for the last one and start following them only after him. Even if that means you'll be far away from the juicy group ahead and you probably won't get the kills for them. It's much better to get just one kill instead of getting none and getting yourself killed ;)
  • Again many thanks for the advice Deerber.... will definitely try this out..
  • Deerber
    766 posts Member
    Again many thanks for the advice Deerber.... will definitely try this out..

Anytime :)
  • swaza79
    778 posts Member
    I'm going to try this as this week's "tactic". It sounds like fun. I avoided the CA-87 before the DLC, but now I love it (although using it with focus fire makes me feel like a bit of a troll... a happy troll).

While I was waiting for the DLC, I set myself a challenge of melee-jumping lone players. Admittedly it isn't great if you care about your K/D (I couldn't care less), but there is something super satisfying about it when you manage to pull the move off. I got the idea after doing this

Other personal challenge is seeing if I can touch the other player with the cycler rifle before shooting (requires scout trait)
  • MentalTimeBomb
    2871 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm glad to see that people are finally realizing that jump shooting is a skill.

It was a skill in SWBF1&2 as well.
    Clone jettroopets required skill to kill Droidekas.
    Darktroopers required skill to Arccaster players in a group.

• handcuff
    923 posts Member
    It never ceases to amaze me the lengths some of you fragile types will go to seek validation from others, the false pretenses you will stoop to ask thinly veiled questions clearly seeking someone to pad your ego.

Are you using a game glitch/bug?
    No?
    Then play the game and grow a pair
  • MentalTimeBomb
    2871 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    handcuff wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me the lengths some of you fragile types will go to seek validation from others, the false pretenses you will stoop to ask thinly veiled questions clearly seeking someone to pad your ego.

No?

It never ceases to amaze me that players will automatically cry nerf if someone does use skill to do what others can't or won't.
    Personally, I'm glad the op brought this up before other players demand nerfs...
  • I used to use jump pack and bowcaster all the time, not realizing apparently it was considered OP. Usually though my bolts would actually hit the players, not at their feet. Didn't realize even a missed shot at the feet would kill them. But if you do it with the shock blaster, more power to ya. My favorite is jump packing over an AT ST, turning mid air and ion grenading the back of the chicken walker. I'll post a video someday.

Easily most satisfying thing in the game to me
  • handcuff wrote: »

No?

Whoa......take it easy dude...no need to bust a blood vessel on this...my pair was fully formed 30 years ago. jeez every thread turns into a word fight......