criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Future skins unlocks contracts?

DarthJ
5254 posts Member
edited April 2016
I had an idea about unlockable future skins and how to stop multiple players with the same skin *cough* shadowtrooper *cough* appearing over and over.

Basically, a new skin is released, be it Imperial or Rebel. The idea would be they would then fall under Hutt contracts, and would need challenges completed before unlocking (or possibly still buy them to use up credits). Example below:

Imperial Pilot skin
Get 30 kills as an imperial
Get 10 TIE fighter kills
Win 2 matches as an Imperial.

Then it unlocks/opens for buying with credits. This would then stop new skin unlocks swamping maps as not everyone could get them straight off, depending on the difficulty of the contract. For me, Hutt contracts are fun, and I wouldn't want them appearing only with DLC or odd one for a star card a month.

If people can't complete the contract (and the contracts aren't everyones cup of tea) they could have a much higher buy out option?

Your thoughts?
41st Forum Fury Battalion Founder PSN: ibrajoker59

Replies

• DarthJ
    5254 posts Member
    @The_Savage_Knight do you want your say since I initially ran it past you? Lol.
  • Jaywal
    2856 posts Member
    I definitely read that in your accent. :)

I like the idea.
    May the force be with you.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    Huehue^
    I love the ideas.
  • leftweet
    2216 posts Member
    Great idea! :) Only thing I see needing changed is first you would buy the Hutt Contract with credits and then you get to unlock it by achieving the challenges.
    I write things for The Star Wars Game Outpost
  • Great idea, I enjoyed the Hutt Contracts and welcome more of them.
  • Sb2432
    2605 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    DarthJ wrote: »
    I had an idea about unlockable future skins and how to stop multiple players with the same skin *cough* shadowtrooper *cough* appearing over and over.

Basically, a new skin is released, be it Imperial or Rebel. The idea would be they would then fall under Hutt contracts, and would need challenges completed before unlocking (or possibly still buy them to use up credits). Example below:

Imperial Pilot skin
    Get 10 TIE fighter kills

Then it unlocks/opens for buying with credits. This would then stop new skin unlocks swamping maps as not everyone could get them straight off, depending on the difficulty of the contract. For me, Hutt contracts are fun, and I wouldn't want them appearing only with DLC or odd one for a star card a month.

If people can't complete the contract (and the contracts aren't everyones cup of tea) they could have a much higher buy out option?

Your thoughts?

No, people will all be tie pilots, I'm up for it as a default skin on imperial hanger? Not as buyable, usable on all maps skin. But general concept of unblockable skins is good!
  • I would like the next skin to be imperial cleaner!
  • JackTHorn
    3268 posts Member
    I think it's a great Idea. I posted the same thing about a month ago, a couple of times. You could tailor the challenges to each skin... Navy Gunner would require 10 cooling flushes, 30 kills with a tripod Blaster Cannon, and 15 kills with a Turbolaser. AT-ST Driver would require 10 AT-ST tokens, 30 kills with an AT-ST, and 3 starfighter kills with an AT-ST.

Stormtrooper Sergeant (white pauldron) would have to get 15 E-11 kills and 500 objective points, Corporal (black pauldron) would only need 15 E-11 kills. Stormtrooper Captain (orange pauldron) would need 30 E-11 kills, 15 kills with DH-17, 1000 objective points, and 10 victories as Imperials.

Shock Trooper would require 30 kills the DLT-19 as well as with the DH-17, 10 kills with mines, 10 kills with either Homing Shot or the Smart Rocket, and 500 objective points. Sniper Scout would require 15 head shots and 30 Pulse Cannon kills plus raising Scout trait to 3rd level 5 times.

You could make some of the contracts pretty easy (Stormtroopers with white or black pauldrons, Stormtrooper Sniper, Stormtrooper Grenadier, Imperial Army Trooper, Magma Trooper), and make some extra difficult (Shock Trooper, 501st Captain, Nova Guard, Shadow Scout) to keep them rare.
  • good idea, but no sense in contracts Hutt.
    Because no better create imperial contracts and rebels, unlock skins , and pads for stormtroopers
    giphy.gif
  • xSha3nx
    340 posts Member
    Great idea!
  • DarthJ
    5254 posts Member
    Cheers for the opinions guys.

@JackTHorn sorry mate, didn't realise you had did one too!

@Jaywal94 my accent?

I just think it would slow people getting new skins and therefore limiting the amount on the battlefield, giving a better variety.
  • DarthJ
    5254 posts Member
    leftweet wrote: »
    Great idea! :) Only thing I see needing changed is first you would buy the Hutt Contract with credits and then you get to unlock it by achieving the challenges.

The only reason I thought that was to add an extra level to get it, ie. paying for the contract for 5,000 credits and then paying 15,000 say for the skin, depending on how difficult you want the skin to be to acquire. Just to help make them more difficult to obtain.

As mentioned, if you didn't want the contract, you could have a higher buy out rate for the skin, say 40k (this is an example, not saying it should be this!)
  • DarthJ
    5254 posts Member
    Sb2432 wrote: »

Imperial Pilot skin
    Get 10 TIE fighter kills

Your thoughts?

No, people will all be tie pilots, I'm up for it as a default skin on imperial hanger? Not as buyable, usable on all maps skin. But general concept of unblockable skins is good!

That was just my example mate - its the first different Imperial skin that came into my head. If it was a default skin fair enough, but it was just an idea. I could have said AT-ST driver, AT-AT driver, camo trooper, shock trooper, etc.
  • DarthJ wrote: »

The only reason I thought that was to add an extra level to get it, ie. paying for the contract for 5,000 credits and then paying 15,000 say for the skin, depending on how difficult you want the skin to be to acquire. Just to help make them more difficult to obtain.

As mentioned, if you didn't want the contract, you could have a higher buy out rate for the skin, say 40k (this is an example, not saying it should be this!)

I wouldn't mind the higher buy out option if you wanted it straight away. It would help solve the enormous amount of credits that most people have, I have nearly 300k again, so anything to spend some meaningful cash on.

I just want the AT AT Driver to appear. My favourite.
  • I think we definitely need more imperial variety including officers, pilots etc. There, however, needs to be more variety in standard stormtroopers such as pauldrons and gear webbing so that the battlefield doesn't get swamped with unrealistic officer skins. Helmetless troopers need to be removed though.
  • Versatti
    1389 posts Member
    What if ...

When you die in a TIE, AT-ST, X-Wing or A-Wing you respawn in its associated attire for the remainder of the game?

From an Imperial perspective (Rebels can wear what they like) the temporary reskin prevents the over use of non Stormtrooper gear.

Alternatively, because let's face it new skins are coming whether us purists like it or not, the outfit is tied in to an unlock if worn a certain number of times and only registers if you're on the winning team at the end of the game?
  • DarthJ
    5254 posts Member

I wouldn't mind the higher buy out option if you wanted it straight away. It would help solve the enormous amount of credits that most people have, I have nearly 300k again, so anything to spend some meaningful cash on.

I just want the AT AT Driver to appear. My favourite.

That was my thinking behind the higher buy out - then credits go and people have to play to make more to buy other contracts/equipment/skins.
  • DarthJ
    5254 posts Member
    grrlpurple wrote: »
    I think we definitely need more imperial variety including officers, pilots etc. There, however, needs to be more variety in standard stormtroopers such as pauldrons and gear webbing so that the battlefield doesn't get swamped with unrealistic officer skins. Helmetless troopers need to be removed though.

Pauldrons etc could be bought in the higher price bracket I guess. Just to narrow down how many people where one skin, pauldron, etc.
  • DarthJ
    5254 posts Member
    Versatti wrote: »
    What if ...

When you die in a TIE, AT-ST, X-Wing or A-Wing you respawn in its associated attire for the remainder of the game?

From an Imperial perspective (Rebels can wear what they like) the temporary reskin prevents the over use of non Stormtrooper gear.

Alternatively, because let's face it new skins are coming whether us purists like it or not, the outfit is tied in to an unlock if worn a certain number of times and only registers if you're on the winning team at the end of the game?

That isn't a bad idea actually - but would most not want to unlock it permanently? I think we will get skins that will annoy the purists for running around in.
  • Versatti
    1389 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Either way it's going to divide opinions. I appreciate people will want something more permanent and If they run with your suggestion they should at the very least have 'Imperial Requisitions' rather than use Hutt Contracts.
  • DarthJ
    5254 posts Member
    Agreed - something separate for the Imperials to run through would be cool.
  • DarthJ
    5254 posts Member
    @Jaywal94 I'm a bit worried about how much you like my accent....
  • JackTHorn wrote: »
    I think it's a great Idea. I posted the same thing about a month ago, a couple of times. You could tailor the challenges to each skin... Navy Gunner would require 10 cooling flushes, 30 kills with a tripod Blaster Cannon, and 15 kills with a Turbolaser. AT-ST Driver would require 10 AT-ST tokens, 30 kills with an AT-ST, and 3 starfighter kills with an AT-ST.

Stormtrooper Sergeant (white pauldron) would have to get 15 E-11 kills and 500 objective points, Corporal (black pauldron) would only need 15 E-11 kills. Stormtrooper Captain (orange pauldron) would need 30 E-11 kills, 15 kills with DH-17, 1000 objective points, and 10 victories as Imperials.

Shock Trooper would require 30 kills the DLT-19 as well as with the DH-17, 10 kills with mines, 10 kills with either Homing Shot or the Smart Rocket, and 500 objective points. Sniper Scout would require 15 head shots and 30 Pulse Cannon kills plus raising Scout trait to 3rd level 5 times.

You could make some of the contracts pretty easy (Stormtroopers with white or black pauldrons, Stormtrooper Sniper, Stormtrooper Grenadier, Imperial Army Trooper, Magma Trooper), and make some extra difficult (Shock Trooper, 501st Captain, Nova Guard, Shadow Scout) to keep them rare.

Yes yes yes to this
  • JackTHorn
    3268 posts Member
    @JackTHorn sorry mate, didn't realise you had did one too!
    Oh, no worry. You'd have to spend all day on here to catch every post on a topic. Someone may well have posted the concept before me, too. =)

What if...
    I like it. It would be a neat way to run the skin in a way that makes sense in the narrative, and would minimize the number of pilots running around. Should be done for Rebels, too. That said, this idea would be far harder to implement than just throwing some skins into the Appearance or Contracts section.

Anyway, I think the game needs numerous other skins, especially for the Imperials. Though it seems we're likely to get just a measley one or two more per side, total. =/
  • JackTHorn
    3268 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Hm, double post...
  • DarthJ
    5254 posts Member
    I think we'll end up with a few personally.
  • JackTHorn
    3268 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    ...let's face it new skins are coming whether us purists like it or not...
    I think we will get skins that will annoy the purists for running around in.
    I think of myself as a purist; I hate seeing a Stormtrooper without a helmet, I don't want to see skins from Dark Empire or the Thrawn Trilogy or any of those less-than-mediocre books about Jacen and Jaina and the Yuuzhan Vong (sp?). Even the Dark Troopers are a bit too EU for me, and they were in the last Battlefront game!

That said, I don't know why other purists seem so heck-bent on this "Stormtroopers-only" idea.

First of all, the Stormtroopers were only the minority "elite soldiers" of the Imperial military -- there was also the entire Imperial Army and Imperial Navy, not to mention the ISB and others. There are WAY more Army Troopers in the Imp military than there are Stormtroopers.

Second, the Original Trilogy movies show soldiers other than just Stormtroopers taking place in Battles. The Battle of Endor scenes had nearly every canon Imperial type, shown on screen! Scouts, Pauldrons, Officers, AT-ST Drivers... not to mention the Gunners and Pilots and Generals who weren't on-planet, and the AT-AT Drivers on Hoth, etc

The main thing is, minimizing the use of the new skins so they aren't all you see on the field. I agree with that. There are two methods for accomplishing that within the current setup: 1) Make less-wanted skins harder to get, and 2) make sure there are a good variety of different skins for people to choose from.

The main reasons there was that flood of Shadow Troopers a bit ago are all related to those two methods, or the lack of them. The Shadow Trooper skin was priced at 17k,just like every other skin in the game, so by the time players got to rank 50 they usually had more than enough credits for it. And it's not like there were a lot of other choices. If you're a sensible Star Wars fan and recuse to use the helmetless options, the only other choice you have is the Scout.

And the same thing happened with the Scout -- remember the two or three waves of people reaching 45 who suddenly flooded games with Scouts? Then they got bored with it and realized everyone had Scouts, so they moved on. People are mostly bored with Shadows now, and if they give us just one skin, the same thing will happen. There will be a wave of people unlocking the new skin, and then after a while they'll get bored with it, and we'll see a bit more spread out between Scout, Shadow, regular Stormtrooper, and the new skin.

But if they were to give us, say, 10 new skins -- 5 of which are rank 20-40 Stormtrooper variants (the three rank pauldrons, a ST Sniper, and a ST Grenadier) kept cheap at 17k, while the rest are rank 40+ and cost between 30k and 80k to unlock (or are tied to harder Hutt Contract challenges) -- you won't see non-Stormtroopers flooding the game.

Incidentally, the same should be done for the Rebels.
  • NightFury
    1129 posts Member
    Let us buy capes for troopers. Not joking.
  • JackTHorn
    3268 posts Member
    NightFury wrote: »
    Let us buy capes for troopers. Not joking.
    *sigh*