criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission

Full 'Force Awakens' Review

Redst0nebreaker
227 posts Member
edited April 2016
1. Character Development:

Rey - Worst character in Star Wars history. She did everything perfectly. Argue by saying "Like did everything perfectly, and now that a female can, it's a problem". Luke had character flaws. He was whiny, impatient, and did things to make the imperials even more angry at them. He also lost his first lightsaber duel.

Rey was a Jedi Master in the same day she was a scrap collector. She learned force tricks that took Luke, Obi-Wan Kenobi, or even Master Yoda himself many years to learn. She beat Kylo Ren a SITH LORD in her first lightsaber fight.

She also told Finn "Don't hold my hand" and talked disrespectfully to Han Solo. It was obvious Disney was shoving down feminism down our throats.

Finn (The Comedian) - Out of the whole movie, Finn was my favorite character. He wanted peace, and he didn't want to fight. Of course, Disney made men stupid in this movie. Call me bias, I may be. But this review is a realistic view with an opinion here and there. Back to the subject, Finn never said any funny things. He was just funny. Despite the PG-13 movie rating, I think this movie was made for kids, and women to enjoy. I am a teenager which is considered a kid in society, and all my friends love this movie even though I don't. They don't see how Disney made all women supererior in this movie. Or men inferior.

Poe (The Possible Future Traitor)- I don't trust Poe because he told Finn we would be back, and never came back. He also left Finn in the TIE fighter. Besides that, he was not in much character development so we don't know much about him.

Kylo Ren (Equalivent To The Movie's Disappointment) - He was shown as this cool and powerful character in the begining, but as the movie went on, he seemed to get only weaker. He also was extremely unattractive. I do thank Disney for doing that though, so there is no annoying fangirls fangirling over him. He also made Luke look hardcore with his whining.

BB8 (The R2-D2 Rip off) - He was obviously supposed to be a funny R2-D2, but they failed. How his head stays on is beyond me.

2. Plot:

Summing it all up, it was just an unoriginal rip-off of the New Hope.

3. CGI/Editing:

Really well done.

Replies

• DarthJ
    6667 posts Member
    My thoughts on the film and your thoughts:

Rey - admittedly too Superwoman and it irked me somewhat that she picked it all up in about 20 minutes. Whilst she is obviously strong in the force, she wasn't exactly battling the best lightsaber user. Kylo's skills with a saber are average. Also, he's not a Sith lord - the Sith are extinct now after Vader's death and killing Palpatine, remember. At best he is a wannabe Sith, but the Sith at this point are no more.

Finn - the comedy character agreed. Generally funny but showed he could handle himself. The 'before the awakening' book makes him out as one of the best stormtroopers at fighting etc but I feel he rarely shows it. Hopefully more development here. Can also see him being with Chewie a lot.

Poe - disagree on the traitor aspect, can see him just being the star pilot. But could he be force sensitive with his pilot skills?

Kylo - I criticised him above, but I do like him and think he has tons of potential. His force use is immense. In this film he is a loose cannon, unstable mentally which is symbolised by his lightsaber. After his loss to Rey I can see this giving him a kick and coming back strong in episode 8.

BB-8 - This generations R2 I guess.

The plot was pretty much episode 4, even down to going to Maz Kanatas castle which was similar to the cantina from ep 4 in terms of atmosphere. I hope ep 8 doesn't follow ep 5 too much, although I do expect some First Order retribution.
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • DarthJ wrote: »
    My thoughts on the film and your thoughts:

Rey - admittedly too Superwoman and it irked me somewhat that she picked it all up in about 20 minutes. Whilst she is obviously strong in the force, she wasn't exactly battling the best lightsaber user. Kylo's skills with a saber are average. Also, he's not a Sith lord - the Sith are extinct now after Vader's death and killing Palpatine, remember. At best he is a wannabe Sith, but the Sith at this point are no more.

Finn - the comedy character agreed. Generally funny but showed he could handle himself. The 'before the awakening' book makes him out as one of the best stormtroopers at fighting etc but I feel he rarely shows it. Hopefully more development here. Can also see him being with Chewie a lot.

Poe - disagree on the traitor aspect, can see him just being the star pilot. But could he be force sensitive with his pilot skills?

Kylo - I criticised him above, but I do like him and think he has tons of potential. His force use is immense. In this film he is a loose cannon, unstable mentally which is symbolised by his lightsaber. After his loss to Rey I can see this giving him a kick and coming back strong in episode 8.

BB-8 - This generations R2 I guess.

The plot was pretty much episode 4, even down to going to Maz Kanatas castle which was similar to the cantina from ep 4 in terms of atmosphere. I hope ep 8 doesn't follow ep 5 too much, although I do expect some First Order retribution.

I think Poe is force sensitive. Like you said, he has crazy piloting skills. I hope 8 doesn't follow 5 either (it probably will). Kylo did show us force things even Yoda did, but you brought out how mentally unstable he was, so I agree he didn't live up to his full potential in this movie.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    TFA was just awful..
    It was just a remake... with no new info.
    Made me appreciate the prequels alil more.

I agree with about everything u say except Rey.
    She may have had her force powers dormant or temporarily erased .
    (like Revan, or see Rey last jedi student theory)
    I also didn't have a problem with her..
    Your opinion about her sounds a little sexist/defensive... no offense intended.
  • Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    TFA was just awful..
    It was just a remake... with no new info.
    Made me appreciate the prequels alil more.

I agree with about everything u say except Rey.
    She may have had her force powers dormant or temporarily erased .
    (like Revan, or see Rey last jedi student theory)
    I also didn't have a problem with her..
    Your opinion about her sounds a little sexist/defensive... no offense intended.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you. Although like I said, I was looking at it from a realistic viewpoint. I am an equalist so a female Jedi I think the same of them as male. I didn't have a problem with Rey, except the undeniable fact that she was a Mary Sue.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Wow!! Someone with a clear head^
    Respect.

Yea her getting force powers immediately was st_pid.
    I said "No!!" In theaters. But once I saw some theories.. okay maybe. Only if they are true.
  • Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    Wow!! Someone with a clear head^
    Respect.

Yea her getting force powers immediately was st_pid.
    I said "No!!" In theaters. But once I saw some theories.. okay maybe. Only if they are true.

Yeah definitely, if those theories are true, then I wouldn't mind. Even with a theorized memory wipe, the force tricks would slowly come back not instantly. Thanks for the compliment by the way :)
  • DarthJ
    6667 posts Member
    Good to see a debate on this!

I'm hoping Captain Phasma comes back strong too in Episode 8. Can definitely see a First Order retribution/advance of plans in Episode 8, similar to Episode 5, but with a lot of focus on Rey being trained by Luke, and Kylo by Snoke. Whether they will have another lightsaber battle and Kylo comes out on top (again, similar to Episode 5), I don't know. But interesting to see what will happen.
  • Kj-ZoSo
    609 posts Member
    The thing with Rey is, that's how they saw the Force in the originals, sadly. To get away from Midi-chlorians and the prequels they wanted to re-create the feel of the original. So they went overboard, ripped it off, and completely misinterpreted the Force. They got it terribly wrong. Now they realise this due to reactions they'll invent any old inclusion to attempt to make up for it, and those who don't understand the prequels will unanimously rejoice, "Amazeballs!"

Captain Phasma certainly intrigued some people during the build up to the film's release, but turned out to be a pointless character; one with just an unimpressive chrome outfit and unimpressive part to play in the film. Almost as useless as that round ball with a head on it.

Sir Luke = Sir Not Appearing In This Film.

CGI was good. Thanks to ILM, and someone who kept pushing them and the technology over the years. New creature and craft design was poor though. Like those old Kenner 'not appearing in this film' jobs.

A shame there weren't as many ship models and practical effects and stuff as they kept going on about.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    DarthJ wrote: »

I'm hoping Captain Phasma comes back strong too in Episode 8. Can definitely see a First Order retribution/advance of plans in Episode 8, similar to Episode 5, but with a lot of focus on Rey being trained by Luke, and Kylo by Snoke. Whether they will have another lightsaber battle and Kylo comes out on top (again, similar to Episode 5), I don't know. But interesting to see what will happen.

I'm liking the sound of this^
    I can't wait for captain phasma!!!
    She was a disappointment.. hope she makes an awesome redemption.
  • DarthJ
    6667 posts Member
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »

Rumours are she will become a Boba-esque character (as in hunt down the heroes, not get eaten by a sarlacc).

It's inevitable surely that episode 8 will have some sort of victory for the First Order. Maybe they openly go to war with the Republic after destroying those planets in episode 7? You get the feeling that they are a kind of paramilitary organization before this, through the films and books (before the awakening). Biding their time until they come forward etc.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »

Rumours are she will become a Boba-esque character (as in hunt down the heroes, not get eaten by a sarlacc).

It's inevitable surely that episode 8 will have some sort of victory for the First Order. Maybe they openly go to war with the Republic after destroying those planets in episode 7? You get the feeling that they are a kind of paramilitary organization before this, through the films and books (before the awakening). Biding their time until they come forward etc.

I really need go start reading the books/comics.
    Yea I heard the same about Captain Phasma being the new Fett.
    I thought maybe being in the Trash Compactor was her version of the Sarlacc Pit.
  • DarthJ
    6667 posts Member
    @Webn8tr_ the force awaken noavel and before the awakening are both cool. They are doing a comic version of TFA too.