criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Xbox One Elite Controller Question

Thinking of getting the elite controller but at £120 it's quite expensive. Does anyone have one who plays this game with it? I've heard it has customisation options for the buttons - are you able to map where you want the controls and if so do you find it helps with playing the game?

Replies

• ND513
    550 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    So here's my opinion on the elite controller. I own one and have played with it since it came out. Basically the only features this controller has, that you can't modify a normal controller to, is the the back paddles and the circle D-pad. So basically you're paying this expensive price for two features. The trigger lock you can make yourself with and eyeglass screw (look up instructions on YouTube or message me if you want to know how). The control stick extensions you can buy after market on Amazon. They are called control freaks. They cost like $12 USD. With the new app on Xbox1 you can already customize any of the buttons on a normal controller. So like I said, your paying for the back paddles and the D-pad. The D-pad is made specific for fighting games like mortal kombat or killer instinct. Other than that it just looks cool. Where this controller really shines is the back paddles. You can use between 0-4 of them and assign them to any button. Meaning you can keep your thumbs on the control sticks and not have to move them to activate other buttons. This is an advantage because you can have constant control over your aim and movement while you do things like jump,crouch,reload or cap objectives or activate star cards etc. There is a lot of customization with it. This controller is also a little bit heavier than a normal controller and has a rubbery texture on the grips. Is it worth the price tag? I'm not sure. To recap you can get a lot of the features with aftermarket items for a LOT cheaper. But I do find the back paddles help with playing games. Will this controller improve your k/d or score as soon as you pick it up? At first, NO! If you play with they back paddles it's gonna feel weird. At least it did for me. My score actually went down. But after I got used to it my score eventually surpassed my old ones. I attribute this to being able to have constant aim and movement control due to the back paddles. Hope this helps you make a decision!
  • KeyserSoandSo
    477 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    I appreciate the response ND513. That's exactly the information I was looking for. Many thanks.
  • I would only but one for games with double jump personally. Like destiny.
  • HTLY47
    81 posts Member
    i couldn't play this game without it :D . i use normal controls for troops tweaked the triggers and lower right paddle for lower dpad(side2side3rdperson). you can change the side without taking your finger of the analog stick which is huge for me. My Fighter Squadron setup is the whole dpad on the paddles. i got my controller shipped within two day. no regrets love it to death.
  • swaza79
    778 posts Member
    I got one about 2 months ago and absolutely love it. The first thing I did was map melee and jump to the bottom paddles and it improved my gameplay immediately. Being able to jump and turn without letting go of the right stick can give you an advantage - particularly if playing as palp or bobba. The sticks feel more precise to me as well

It does feel really nice to hold, but at £120 I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the money spare. I also know from personal experience that once you've got the idea in your head it is hard not to buy it :smirk:
  • swaza79 wrote: »
    It does feel really nice to hold, but at £120 I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the money spare. I also know from personal experience that once you've got the idea in your head it is hard not to buy it :smirk:

Haha - exactly right! I'll be getting one next week

• Trigger locks. I now laugh maniacally at the sound of Han's Rapid Fire heating up.
  • Yes get it and don't look back. I have sprint on one paddle and the left- right 3rd person switch on the other. Since you sprint all the time it's saves your thumb. Also you can fire faster with it , with say the new Dl 18, killer. And no more accidental Melee.
  • swaza79
    778 posts Member
    @SAmulticore Absolutely! I have a huge grin on my face while the "RT" thing is flashing :lol:

Using the app for the controller, I also set the deadzone of RT to the minimum I could too - makes such a difference! Particularly with the DL-18 on smaller game modes or EE-3 for larger game modes.
  • swaza79 wrote: »
    @SAmulticore Absolutely! I have a huge grin on my face while the "RT" thing is flashing :lol:

Using the app for the controller, I also set the deadzone of RT to the minimum I could too - makes such a difference! Particularly with the DL-18 on smaller game modes or EE-3 for larger game modes.

Did you find it's problematic with lightsaber swings? I have the deadzone set the same as you and I found that I got locked up, particularly as Vader far more often, unable to swing while fighting Luke. I got the pad roughly the day a patch came out so I've never been sure.

I switch off the lock with lightsaber wielders now just in case.

• I use the two triggers lock, also set the fire trigger to 5-20. Set one profile for FPS and the other for the vehicles. On the paddles I put the view switch, the activation action (links, droids, etc.), the meele and crounch. In the vehicles profile I set the zoom, shooting, and the cards to the paddles, the middle card is on the right stick.

There is a learning curve with this control but once you master it, you will love it.
    My other ride is a Tauntaun
  • SAmulticore
    3322 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    PSA: Using a paddle to fire missiles from ships means you don't have to stop firing your primary weapon.
  • I wasn't sure about getting one also. But I am glad I did, wasn't sure about using the paddles. But they do make a difference I don't think you will regret it.
  • I love mine too.
    The "worth it" or not is very subjective, but it's look and feel and customization features are pretty cool.
  • Lwiillo wrote: »
    I use the two triggers lock, also set the fire trigger to 5-20. Set one profile for FPS and the other for the vehicles. On the paddles I put the view switch, the activation action (links, droids, etc.), the meele and crounch. In the vehicles profile I set the zoom, shooting, and the cards to the paddles, the middle card is on the right stick.

There is a learning curve with this control but once you master it, you will love it.
    Trigger locks. I now laugh maniacally at the sound of Han's Rapid Fire heating up.

What is a trigger lock?
  • WillZ567 wrote: »
    Lwiillo wrote: »
    I use the two triggers lock, also set the fire trigger to 5-20. Set one profile for FPS and the other for the vehicles. On the paddles I put the view switch, the activation action (links, droids, etc.), the meele and crounch. In the vehicles profile I set the zoom, shooting, and the cards to the paddles, the middle card is on the right stick.

Trigger locks. I now laugh maniacally at the sound of Han's Rapid Fire heating up.

What is a trigger lock?

It shortens distance to pull trigger therefore you can fire faster .
  • The other day I accidentally took of the trigger lock and was getting killed more than usual I thought it was lag. Then I realized it was off. It really makes a Huge difference on the non automatic weapons fire rate.
  • WillZ567
    12 posts Member
    edited September 2016

It shortens distance to pull trigger therefore you can fire faster .[/quote]
    So with like the se-14c could I just hold the trigger down completely and it will just fire or will I just have to pull the trigger down not as far?

What is a trigger lock?

So with like the se-14c could I just hold the trigger down completely and it will just fire or will I just have to pull the trigger down not as far?
    WillZ567 wrote: »

What is a trigger lock?

Right you don't have to pull down as far
    it takes a millisecond less

Ps I have over 6500 kills with the se 14c
    And 8000 with the dt 12
    Try out the The dt 12 with the elite controller
    It's better
    WillZ567 wrote: »

What is a trigger lock?

Right you don't have to pull down as far
    it takes a millisecond less

Ps I have over 6500 kills with the se 14c
    And 8000 with the dt 12
    Try out the The dt 12 with the elite controller
    It's better

Is there I way I can get a trigger lock without spending a ton of money on an XB elite controller?
  • Sure, just look for "hair trigger tutorials" there a lot over the web.
    My other ride is a Tauntaun