criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

So I guess shooting down Y-Wings early does nothing for Imperials?

I thought for sure this used to work......

Replies

• swaza79
    778 posts Member
    I shot down 6 in an AT-ST yesterday and it definitely felt like it cut the time down, but I didn't actually check. I just assumed it worked - as you said :confused:

Don't get enough points for shooting them down in my opinion.
  • swaza79 wrote: »
    I shot down 6 in an AT-ST yesterday and it definitely felt like it cut the time down, but I didn't actually check. I just assumed it worked - as you said :confused:

Don't get enough points for shooting them down in my opinion.

ya....I actually shot down more in the AT-ST and I thought it did shorten it up......was actually very bummed to notice that it did nothing. Now maybe it speeds up the coundown?!? I didnt notice it speed up after I went back to watch it. Maybe a DEV could give us a definate answer
  • Yep. I was disappointed too.

Nothing more hilarious than shooting down the first Y-Wing and the AT-AT magically going into vulnerable mode.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • If anyone has video proof of this working and an explanation why mine didnt please post.....I couldnt be happier to be proven wrong
  • swaza79
    778 posts Member
    On your video you are to the left of the AT-AT. I was directly behind but much further back (playing on Jakku) so I could see the Y-Wings more side on. I missed the first one and could see the the ion torpedoes hit the walker, but I got the next ones before anything was fired. I thought it made the timer on that Y-Wing drop quicker and the next one fly in sooner.

I need to know now! :confounded:
  • I think Y-wings deal some damage with their torpedos so shooting them down before they fire actually helps.
  • I wish that shooting down the Y-Wings would perhaps cut that Y-Wing's bar time in half.
  • Rogue_Theologian
    229 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Huh. I always thought it did help. I recently posted on how to do it:

"Shoot down the Y-wings in WA. Grab an AT-ST and stand behind the walker, over its right shoulder. You should be somewhat behind, say 40m, so that the Rebels ignore you in their bloodlust for the AT-AT. When the Y-wings make their bombing run they start out at 12 o'clock and curve inward -- crossing over the AT-AT's right shoulder and leaving over the left "hip." This is your opportunity. In order to make the pass they have to expose their belly and reveal a large cross section. One solid shot pops them. Of course you should be firing as soon as they level out for their bombing run at 12 o'clock. But the moment they reveal their cross section is your best shot, even if it means holding your fire right before.

As for your missiles, you want to fire them while they're still out at 12 o'clock as soon as they level out. They can be hard to spot at this point so look for the contrails. Remember they're on rails, so if you miss one the next follows the exact same path. The missiles in the AT-ST actually cool down fast. You can fire one per Y-wing IF you get the shot off at the moment they level out. Otherwise it'll be too late. The missile is your best shot so don't rush it. If you're going to miss then save it.

Just shooting down one Y-wing can make the difference. Take your time, line it up, missiles when they level out, and save your best laser shot when they show their cross section. Always try to get into position early, don't wait till the countdown. The set up is what makes it all possible because it both gives you maximum time with the Y-wing under your guns and it lines you up on their approach for several of the easiest shots. Don't give into the temptation to walk up with the AT-AT. It makes you relevant to the Rebel infantry and they'll waste you. Also, you risk getting caught in an orbital strike meant for the Walker.
    "

If it's true that shooting down the Y-wing does nothing -- before the bomb drops -- then that has to change FOR SURE. Because it's the Imperial equivalent of the Rebel T-47 Airspeeder, a last gasp measure to change the battle in a big way. For the Rebels the AT-AT has arrived. For the Imperials the uplinks were defended successfully.

So yea, if destroying the Y-wing before the bombs are dropped does nothing that should change BIG TIME.

... Also, they should be worth mega more points. Maybe less if the bomb drops already. But still a lot.
    Post edited by Rogue_Theologian on
  • If they did in fact work, balancing both Endor maps is a real issue

SW_Sig_zpsjlznlipn.png

Nothing more hilarious than shooting down the first Y-Wing and the AT-AT magically going into vulnerable mode.

This would be the definitive way to show it is just visual candy. Uploading a video and tagging the devs would be the best way to call attention to it.
  • Vindictum wrote: »
    If they did in fact work, balancing both Endor maps is a real issue

Not really considering there is only one ATAT to take fire from the same amount of players and power-ups, and the same potential uplink-time.

This would be the definitive way to show it is just visual candy. Uploading a video and tagging the devs would be the best way to call attention to it.

If I manage to nail the first one I will upload but I usually have to get a good position based on the first ones flight path to give me an idea where they are coming from. I dont play it enough to have there flight path memorized
  • I managed a few times to take down Y-Wings from AT-ST's before the first strike but it did not make any difference. Or at least I don't remember. We should be rewarded for taking down Y-Wings before they fire on the AT-AT's. I think it would be correct to delay the vulnerability state if we can take down the first, second etc or at least the rebels should do half the damage if we take down the Y-Wings. They should count the time between two bombs in an AT-AT and if we take down one Y-Wing and the torpedoes do not hit, then the damage should be half until the next torpedo hit.
  • MrMxyzptlk wrote: »
    I managed a few times to take down Y-Wings from AT-ST's before the first strike but it did not make any difference. Or at least I don't remember. We should be rewarded for taking down Y-Wings before they fire on the AT-AT's. I think it would be correct to delay the vulnerability state if we can take down the first, second etc or at least the rebels should do half the damage if we take down the Y-Wings. They should count the time between two bombs in an AT-AT and if we take down one Y-Wing and the torpedoes do not hit, then the damage should be half until the next torpedo hit.

something would be at least nice. Its not easy taking those things down especially before they fire the proton missile
  • If shooting down Y-Wings does indeed something, wouldn't that be open to abuse? The imp teams could solely focus on shooting down Y-Wings and never have their AT-AT's go vulnerable.
  • moondynemc wrote: »
    If shooting down Y-Wings does indeed something, wouldn't that be open to abuse? The imp teams could solely focus on shooting down Y-Wings and never have their AT-AT's go vulnerable.

no more then air speeders taking down 2 full strength ATATs.....and that only takes 2 pilots....knocking down all y wings would take a huge effort
  • swaza79
    778 posts Member
    If the difficulty to take down a walker in a speeder was proportional to the amount of health left on the walker, I wouldn't mind the Y-Wing thing. It's more that I put in a lot of effort each game trying to stop the bombing runs because thought it was making a difference. Particularly as there is an achievement to shoot one down, which was what drew my attention to it in the firs place.

I'm also annoyed with myself that I didn't actually notice it does nothing :blush:

From now on when I'm in an AT-ST, I'll concentrate on annoying X-Wings and squashing rebels.
    If shooting down Y-Wings does indeed something, wouldn't that be open to abuse? The imp teams could solely focus on shooting down Y-Wings and never have their AT-AT's go vulnerable.

no more then air speeders taking down 2 full strength ATATs.....and that only takes 2 pilots....knocking down all y wings would take a huge effort

But the air speeders taking down AT-AT's isn't abuse, it's an intended part of the game and general lore of the Star Wars universe? Players get real good at these sorts of things really quickly once these kinds of things become known. If knocking out Y-Wings really did prevent them from doing anything, I would imagine within a month that every player would be well practiced in shooting them down, and that's all we'd see in Walker Assault.
    moondynemc wrote: »

But the air speeders taking down AT-AT's isn't abuse, it's an intended part of the game and general lore of the Star Wars universe? Players get real good at these sorts of things really quickly once these kinds of things become known. If knocking out Y-Wings really did prevent them from doing anything, I would imagine within a month that every player would be well practiced in shooting them down, and that's all we'd see in Walker Assault.

Maybe but at least Imperials would get a cheap way to win too
  • Tobikun wrote: »

The speeder take downs are little mini games that require ZERO SKILL.

Yeah, it does feel a little easy. However it's not as if the imps can't shoot to break that lock.