criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar

How To Watch The Actual Original Triology

j_novs
711 posts Member
I'm gonna guess that anyone younger than 40 has never really seen the actual OT, well because Lucas butchered even the DVD releases.

Let me introduce you to the Harmy's Star Wars De_Specialized Edition. I actually have a copy of the OT in this format and it's a million times better than any version available for resale.

Despecialized Editions are high definition reconstructions of the theatrical versions of the STAR WARS films. The original shots are painstakingly restored using various sources ranging from VHS, LaserDisc, DVD, BluRay to 35mm print scans.

Take a peek at the Youtube link, hopefully this will make your day.

Replies

• TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Yeah despecialized version is the real deal. Better than specialized for sure. Highly recommend for serious fans. Get yours any way you can. It's 30gb but its worth getting.

Lucas is a hypocrite clown. He said changing art and history is barbaric well he did exactly just that, destroyed chances of people seeing original theatrical versions they grew up watching. That's barbaric and cold. I hope Disney rereleases the despecialized trilogy as well.
  • nice. as an old guy, I appreciate this. I understood some of the technical limitations Lucas had that led to the desire for some changes, but I never understood (or agreed) with the content changes. Han shooting first showed he was no nonsense, Obi Wan chopping off an arm showed he was not to be played with. All many of us ever wanted was the OT, remastered as it was.
    41st.org Founder "Where the Game is Winnable."

are-you-threatening-me-gif.gif
  • domeshots119
    72 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    j_novs wrote: »
    I'm gonna guess that anyone younger than 40 has never really seen the actual OT, well because Lucas butchered even the DVD releases.

im in my 20's and i saw them when i was younger
  • Saw them in the theaters in late 80s. Empire Strikes Back was the ultimate movie of my childhood.
  • j_novs
    711 posts Member
    tankertoad wrote: »
    nice. as an old guy, I appreciate this. I understood some of the technical limitations Lucas had that led to the desire for some changes, but I never understood (or agreed) with the content changes. Han shooting first showed he was no nonsense, Obi Wan chopping off an arm showed he was not to be played with. All many of us ever wanted was the OT, remastered as it was.

not to mention Sir Alec Guinness and Sebastian Shaw chilling with Yoda at the end of ROTJ.
  • j_novs
    711 posts Member
    j_novs wrote: »

im in my 20's and i saw them when i was younger

I'm referring to the acutal theatrical releases, not the DVD releases that included edited scenes, CGI, bad color grading and lowered film score.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Not to mention the hues are more natural and not edited with orange or pink tones. Picture quality is fresher and more neutral.
  • I'd say anyone who grew up in the 90's grew up with the unaltered vhs versions as I did. I just got my despecialized editions downloaded two weeks ago :smile:
  • I have these Harmy editions. Beautiful. He gives us all what Lucas tried to take away.
  • Ezio
    974 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm 19 and saw the originals. Lived in a place with no cable or satellite, so we watched VHS tapes all the time and we had a boxed set of the original OT. Used to watch them ALL the time. I pretty much agree with tankertoad; I can understand why Lucas wanted to revamp the effects (though it sticks out horribly), but the actual content changes bewilder me.

Unfortunately, my dad at some point decided to go and throw away many of our VHS tapes, claiming that we can upgrade to DVDs. Unfortunately our OT was a victim of that ill-conceived plan. Now that I think about it, he never did replace a lot of what he threw out. Such a shame.
    Post edited by Ezio on
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm 23 in May..
    I grew up with the OT
    Many of us under 40 have parents who are star wars fans.
    My dad has the original versions still..
    Love the OT. HueHue

Thanks for the share!
    It's nice to compare
  • j_novs
    711 posts Member
    Adtrfan_25 wrote: »
    I'd say anyone who grew up in the 90's grew up with the unaltered vhs versions as I did. I just got my despecialized editions downloaded two weeks ago :smile:

my brothers and I would rotate through the VHS copies of the OT almost daily in the 90's...I recently got my hands on 8mm versions of ANH & ESB from a garage sale (for $5).
  • Awesome. Those can fetch thousands if in good quality.