criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar

Battlefront Review

briandt75
5610 posts Member
edited April 2016
Here's an interesting op-ed that dropped on the net today. Is the writer painting an accurate picture of the game?

http://gamerant.com/battlefront-daily-user-decline-533/
41st Forum Fury Battalion Member

Replies

• "Star Wars Battlefront is far from the only Star Wars game that EA is going to release..."

And I thought LucasArts put out questionable stuff there at the end... Can't wait to not buy another Star Wars game until it passes user reviews with flying colors and comes down in price to make up for the HUGE rip-off that Battlefront has been.
  • Probably a bit biased, as they tend to be, I guess... Where did he get the numbers from? Did he say that?
  • No single player, no customization, no classes no campaign, no space battles, and I agree with the article no skill ceiling.

Couple all of that with poor customer support (not the forum mods to be clear, I mean the customer support model as a whole), and it's a recipe for disaster.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    Very good article.
    Spot on! I think it's accurate and kind of embarrassing.
    +1 Hue
  • I agree more or less with everything except the depth of gameplay. I think before the game even came out there was an expectation that it would be "easy mode" given the past Battlefront games... but I found myself dying quite quickly the first few weeks. And now I can say that yes there's definitely good strategy and depth to the battles.
    Really the learning curve i'd say is pretty steep... the tutorials don't even cover half of it and that alone probably turned a lot of people off.
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    prograham wrote: »
    I agree more or less with everything except the depth of gameplay. I think before the game even came out there was an expectation that it would be "easy mode" given the past Battlefront games... but I found myself dying quite quickly the first few weeks. And now I can say that yes there's definitely good strategy and depth to the battles.
    Really the learning curve i'd say is pretty steep... the tutorials don't even cover half of it and that alone probably turned a lot of people off.

That's a valid and fair assessment of the actual gameplay. It's unfortunate that the layered gameplay has been utterly overshadowed by all the issues and problems.
    41st Forum Fury Battalion Member
  • briandt75 wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that the layered gameplay has been utterly overshadowed by all the issues and problems.
    Absolutely agree and share in your disappointment of how much they overshadow the gameplay.
    I also want to add I'm surprised the review (and many other reviews) doesn't mention how awful and easy it is to get stuck/stopped by something on the ground or not being able to jump up a 1 foot rock/ledge, which is a huge frustration of mine though I'm slowly buying into what I tell myself that this is not a twitch shooter and instead somehow that's an intended map feature to... slow down the battles?
  • Well - at least the Battlefront numbers are better than Hardline's, so there's that... lol
    PSN: N3GAT1VE_CR33P (Note: blank requests get deleted)
  • prograham wrote: »
    briandt75 wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that the layered gameplay has been utterly overshadowed by all the issues and problems.
    Absolutely agree and share in your disappointment of how much they overshadow the gameplay.
    I also want to add I'm surprised the review (and many other reviews) doesn't mention how awful and easy it is to get stuck/stopped by something on the ground or not being able to jump up a 1 foot rock/ledge, which is a huge frustration of mine though I'm slowly buying into what I tell myself that this is not a twitch shooter and instead somehow that's an intended map feature to... slow down the battles?

I mean, he had to end the article somewhere. If he was chronicling every bug in the game he'd have ended up writing a twelve volume desk reference set.
  • Lol, true. I just keep thinking of all the things that annoy me. Like the dumb platform I constantly fall off trying to pick up the cargo and then have to start picking it up all over again.
    Also- lolz @ Hardline.
  • wrote:
    What is perhaps most surprising is that the game came from acclaimed multiplayer shooter dev DICE. When the developer had the reins of the Battlefield franchise, the FPS series seemed unstoppable, going toe-to-toe with shooter kingpin Call of Duty. However, DICE was unable to bring this expertise with it into the Star Wars universe.

No matter how skilled a developer group may be, rushing a game is never a good idea. Besides being a movie tie-in (financially), I'd describe this game as an exercise in pushing the revenue turn-over limits. Initial sales were strong, but it does nothing for DLC income if the player counts are fading quickly.

You should have tried harder from the start.