criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar
Double XP Event

Battlefront > battlefield 4

BlackgoliathJW
901 posts Member
edited May 2016
TLDR: I prefer battlefront Over battlefield 4.

I've never really been a big FPS gamer. I played goldeneye N64 and counter strike plus a couple other games. But on the whole I've concentrated more on other genres.

Since getting an X1 I've been playing Halo and battlefront. A lot of my friends have BF4 so I got it to see what they love about it so much.
BF4 is a cool game, don't get me wrong. There are some awesome features in BF4 that would be a welcome addition to battlefront.

But in general I just prefer battlefront, it appeals to my tastes more so than many other FPS games.

I think what it is, is that within the FPS/shooter genre there are sub-genres. BF4, halo, battlefront all fit into different sub-genres.

It's good that dice chose a different FPS sub-genre for battlefront. Why would the same company make two games to compete against each other after all.

There is a steep learning curve to BF4. The menus are loaded with info that makes me go cross eyed lol.
I like that battlefront has a simple uncluttered layout. Battlefront is easy to pick up and play, but underneath there is some depth to the gameplay.

Yes battlefront has its problems. It will take time to polish it all out. The game of the year edition or battlefront 2 will really make this franchise shine.
But what dice have made here is a unique style of shooter, being Star Wars definitely helps, and it has captured me as a fan.

Replies

• One of the issues of BF4 is the absolutely ghastly amount of unecessary stuff added into the game for the sake of adding it into the game. 90% of the guns you'll never ever want to run and you stick to your staple of like 4 or 5 go to guns.

The jet game is so broken...I have no idea why they did that.

Yea...BF4 sucks. BF3 was and still is way better.
  • Straywalker
    1034 posts Member
    The biggest difference to me is that Battlefield is a more Teamplay based game. With Battlefront you can just jump in for a quick game and don`t really have the need for a partner - in Battlefield you need the other players to join in and.. well.. play as a team. And, in Battlefield everyone is very competitive and really wants to win the match - more "playing the objective" thinking there than in Battlefront.

In a few more hours of Battlefronting I will have more hours playing time here than in BF4 :smiley:

Very excited about what the BF5 teaser will reviel on Friday :smiley:
    Playstation 4 fun :p Proud member of the 3PO community
  • Trooper8059
    10199 posts Member
    I still prefer Battlefield 4. There is a larger variety of enjoyable moments to be had there than in here.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Quizolio
    3221 posts Member
    One of the big reasons why I enjoy Battlefront is the ability to jump in, play, and jump out.
    "A thing called grammar needs a buff."
    - tankertoad
  • JayZack
    122 posts Member
    Honestly, the only reason anybody plays this game is because its Star Wars, NOT because its a good stand-alone shooter!
  • One of the issues of BF4 is the absolutely ghastly amount of unecessary stuff added into the game for the sake of adding it into the game. 90% of the guns you'll never ever want to run and you stick to your staple of like 4 or 5 go to guns.

The jet game is so broken...I have no idea why they did that.

Yea...BF4 sucks. BF3 was and still is way better.

I wouldn't say BF4 sucks, but yea that's one of the things that puts me off a bit, the ton of weapons. That and the general "clutter" on the screen menus. There's a lot of stuff to take in and learn about hence the steep learning curve. Thats actually one reason why I didn't like the division either.
  • I still prefer Battlefield 4. There is a larger variety of enjoyable moments to be had there than in here.

Battlefront could do with a bit more variety I agree. By the time DLC 4 drops I'm sure that box will be ticked.
  • jaksnack
    189 posts Member
    BF5 > Battlefront watch this game will become dead and people will only play this when theres an update. Gears of War 4, Cod Infinite Warfare, Cod MW Remastered, Battlefield 5, NBA 2k17, NHL 17, Madden 17, FIFA 17, DOOM, FFXV, Uncharted 4 and MANY more blockbuster games will soon overshadow Battlefront. These games contain MASSIVE amount of people and draws alot of competition.
  • The biggest difference to me is that Battlefield is a more Teamplay based game. With Battlefront you can just jump in for a quick game and don`t really have the need for a partner - in Battlefield you need the other players to join in and.. well.. play as a team. And, in Battlefield everyone is very competitive and really wants to win the match - more "playing the objective" thinking there than in Battlefront.

In a few more hours of Battlefronting I will have more hours playing time here than in BF4 :smiley:

Very excited about what the BF5 teaser will reviel on Friday :smiley:

Yeah you're right about the team play thing. Would be awesome if battlefront had a squad type system. I liked that in BF4 you can choose your spawn location and also spawn on one of your squad members.

My hours in battlefront are ludicrous. I can not see myself spending that same amount of time in BF4.
  • BlackgoliathJW
    901 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    JayZack wrote: »
    Honestly, the only reason anybody plays this game is because its Star Wars, NOT because its a good stand-alone shooter!

Well for me it's the Star Wars theme that pulled me into the game, but it's the overall gameplay that has kept me playing. I'm not saying the gameplay is perfect but I really do like it.
  • LOCO_MOFO
    1466 posts Member
    Battlefield 4 is better in everyway possible.

The only thing this game has going for it over battlefield is it's star wars.
  • tommytom64
    1091 posts Member
    I think Battlefield 4 really is the better shooter. But first-person shooters aren't for everyone. Different people enjoy different genres. This game can be played as a first-person shooter obviously, but it really isn't a full-on FPS, not like Battlefield anyway. So, I can see why someone might enjoy this game more than Battlefield 4. But Battlefield 4 really is the overall better shooter game, in my opinion, and it's earned that reputation. 2 years in and it's still going very strong, one of the best first-person shooters on the market.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    STAR WARS >

HueHue
  • mastery0ta
    6507 posts Member
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    STAR WARS >

HueHue

The force is strong with this one. May the hue be with you
  • tommytom64 wrote: »
    I think Battlefield 4 really is the better shooter. But first-person shooters aren't for everyone. Different people enjoy different genres. This game can be played as a first-person shooter obviously, but it really isn't a full-on FPS, not like Battlefield anyway. So, I can see why someone might enjoy this game more than Battlefield 4. But Battlefield 4 really is the overall better shooter game, in my opinion, and it's earned that reputation. 2 years in and it's still going very strong, one of the best first-person shooters on the market.

I can agree with you on this. BF4 is polished, balanced etc. it's a better first person shooter. And I believe it is because it's had time to age and mature from its past instalments.

With Battlefront I play it in 3rd person so straight away that changes the shooter style of game it is.
    But I like what dice has done with it. It's the first instalment so over time I'm hopeful that dice can fine tune this franchise into something incredible.
  • Zach
    549 posts Member
    I think Battlefront and Battlefield are great compliments to each other. Literally just yesterday I was playing Battlefield but today I just wanted a quick, easy, fun run through with Battlefront. And tomorrow I have no idea which game I'll want to play. They're both super fun games that appeal to different tastes.
  • Tobikun wrote: »
    tommytom64 wrote: »

I can agree with you on this. BF4 is polished, balanced etc. it's a better first person shooter. And I believe it is because it's had time to age and mature from its past instalments.

With Battlefront I play it in 3rd person so straight away that changes the shooter style of game it is.
    But I like what dice has done with it. It's the first instalment so over time I'm hopeful that dice can fine tune this franchise into something incredible.

You are giving Dice way too much credit.

You don't give them enough credit.
  • that mortar/UCAV spam in RUSH ! LOVE IT ! i just dont get it how BF4 has more stuff to spam than BattleFront
  • iWattt
    62 posts Member
    jaksnack wrote: »
    BF5 > Battlefront watch this game will become dead and people will only play this when theres an update. Gears of War 4, Cod Infinite Warfare, Cod MW Remastered, Battlefield 5, NBA 2k17, NHL 17, Madden 17, FIFA 17, DOOM, FFXV, Uncharted 4 and MANY more blockbuster games will soon overshadow Battlefront. These games contain MASSIVE amount of people and draws alot of competition.

Battlefront was/is still played after Black ops 3, fallout 4, destiny: ttk, the division,
    etc all released. Don't see why nobody would play it after all those newer titles would release. Except BF5 probably will draw a lot of the player base away
  • Maps are the only thing I like more about BF4. Siege of Shanghai is probably the greatest fps map ive ever played
  • Bjankins1
    490 posts Member
    Screw dice battlefield bad company 2 was the last good dice game, them after thats when they really started cutting corners
  • ArchAngeL_777
    1809 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Maps are the only thing I like more about BF4.

Yeah no way Battlefront is better than BF4 for this reason alone. I play Battlefront for the large maps and large game modes. Right now we only have 7 large maps in Battlefront, even after two official DLC drops. By this time in BF4, we had 18 large maps (10 at launch, 4 from China Rising DLC, 4 from Second Assault DLC).

DICE's general map philosophy for BF4 was much better. They would make a large map, then carve out a smaller portion of that for smaller game modes. That's what they should have done with Battlefront. Instead, they decided to make small maps completely separate which has split the community. Since the map count is currently at 16 small to 7 large, they have run off a lot of large map players.

Also, Battlefield 4 had 120 ranks at launch, so there was something to keep you chasing for a long time. Battlefront is just a huge lack of content by comparison.
  • BF4 and Battlefront are two very different games. Comparing these two games is almost like comparing COD to Battlefield. The only thing they really have in common is the fact that you shoot guns at people. BF4 is more team oriented, and if you want to do good in that game you have to PTFO and you have to assist your teammates by doing repairs, healing, reviving, resupplying, spotting, suppressing, and act as a mobile spawn point for one of your 4 other squad mates.

This game you can just lone wolf it and and ignore everything that is going on around you and win simply by just being good on your own. It's more like COD in that manner.

I prefer BF4, but Battlefront is still fun when I'm in the mood for something different. Plus it's an extremely beautiful looking game, not that BF4 isn't either, but Battlefront is on a whole, nother, level. I imagine come Friday though we're going to see that BF5 looks at least just as good. Unlike the new COD, which looks absolutely like a pre-alpha build of Battlefield 3.

In my opinion DICE honestly is the best in the business when it comes to FPS (or third person I guess too), but something feels a little generic or rushed about Battlefront. I guess it could be the fact that they were going for the more casual audience with this game though since that seeing as it's a Star Wars game it was going to have to be designed to appeal to a broader and more casual audience.
    I just farted.
  • Maps are the only thing I like more about BF4. Siege of Shanghai is probably the greatest fps map ive ever played

Siege of Shanghai is pretty good. Seeing the control point C building collapse is something special too. That's something special about BF4 is the destruct-able maps/environment. And being in a chopper manning the rail gun and shooting into the side of a building matrix style <3 epic that is.

Locker is another cool map. Reminds me of the intense carnage of some of the battlefront games.

I love the beauty of battlefront maps though. Nothing compares with them. But the problem with them is because they're in the wilderness mostly, there aren't many "man made" structures to use as cover.

I'm hoping bespin covers that. And please dice, mos eisly spaceport ;)
  • Maps are the only thing I like more about BF4.

Yeah no way Battlefront is better than BF4 for this reason alone. I play Battlefront for the large maps and large game modes. Right now we only have 7 large maps in Battlefront, even after two official DLC drops. By this time in BF4, we had 18 large maps (10 at launch, 4 from China Rising DLC, 4 from Second Assault DLC).

DICE's general map philosophy for BF4 was much better. They would make a large map, then carve out a smaller portion of that for smaller game modes. That's what they should have done with Battlefront. Instead, they decided to make small maps completely separate which has split the community. Since the map count is currently at 16 small to 7 large, they have run off a lot of large map players.

Also, Battlefield 4 had 120 ranks at launch, so there was something to keep you chasing for a long time. Battlefront is just a huge lack of content by comparison.

? I never said It was better. I shared my opinion.