criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Master DLC Rotation?

SAmulticore
3322 posts Member
At the moment the Outer Rim feels like a side room, a windowless crèche from which the player must eventually crawl blinking and confused back into the base game where Ben awaits to tell you to go to the Dagobah system.

If the other DLC are separate dark windowless rooms, you're going to split the available player base into small chunks, to the detriment of everyone trying to find a match, particularly on PC.

So why not knock the walls through and build a single master DLC rotation? Players with all DLC (#seasonpassmasterracehuehue) form the core of the full DLC rotation and those matches are seeded with players who have access only to the current map. At the match end, those without the next map are moved to one they do, and are replaced again with incoming current map owners.

Obviously DLC is going to separate players from the base game, but can we get those players together rather than quartered?

Replies

• Think it will hard with timing and all, but good idea!
  • SAmulticore
    3322 posts Member
    Think it will hard with timing and all, but good idea!

Perhaps, but I'd hope that increasing the player pool in this way should offset that. There are already problems getting games on some matches in Outer Rim, it'll only get worse when players move to Bespin and beyond unless they're integrated.

• Baseeco
    562 posts Member
    One of the best forum ideas so far
    #seasonpassmasterracehuehue
  • Joonlar
    1154 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    In this method half the lobby will be forced to leave after every map rotation, meaning half the people have to back out and find a new game and the other half are left with a half full lobby. Think about how annoying that would be, after it occurs for the 10th, 20th, 50th time.

If a Season Pass "tab" is implemented it will only be made available to those who own all of the DLC.

Personally I wouldn't mind a Season Pass playlist in 2017 when the all four DLCs are released. I don't see the need in implementing it before then.
  • swaza79
    778 posts Member
    I was thinking something similar,but couldn't work out the timings. You could perhaps do something with the teams so that it isn't individuals that get moved, but the teams. This breaks down however if two friends are partnered up and have different docs.

Having a season pass play list only adds one more lobby, so it is not beyond the realms of possibility. :neutral:

I like you idea
  • Vindictum
    567 posts Member
    Untitled.png a very limited example of player base fragmentation

SW_Sig_zpsjlznlipn.png
  • Vindictum
    567 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    And if visuals ain't enough for you, and numbers are your thing, i calculated that too.

Out of choosable options considering dlc, maps and modes, there are 89 options to choose from, 89 ways the playerbase is split in one region

considering all regions that's 534 possible options available

This is still not considering offline players who's number will increase when they release a decent single player option and also not considering the difference of time during the day/night that everybody plays at.

And this is JUST up to Outer Rim

All things taken into account, it's clear why OR is a forced playlist format

illustrates just how fragmented the community is. I think the model for DLC was based on the longevity of the player base being higher than what it is currently. Even if you have that master DLC rotation, which would have been nice, there are players who would have only bought Outer Rim or only bought Bespin etc. They would be in their own little fragments.

I think maps being part of DLC is the problem, but it's also what defines it more than anything else so it's really a difficult position. Master DLC rotation would have worked beautifully if everyone who bought a DLC, actually buys the entire pass, and not individual ones. It wouldn't solve the quartering as it is now though unfortunately

I had a whole topic about DLC and split player base actually
    http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/forums/discussion/41217/this-game-is-the-titanic-dlc-maps-is-the-iceberg/p1

meh~

SW_Sig_zpsjlznlipn.png
  • Mcap
    873 posts Member
    Maybe they should have just released a complete darn game and this problem would not exist.

Though I do like the idea. It would need some ironing of course, but the general plan makes more sense than what is about to happen with further fragmentation as each successive DLC is released.
  • Joonlar wrote: »
    In this method half the lobby will be forced to leave after every map rotation, meaning half the people have to back out and find a new game and the other half are left with a half full lobby. Think about how annoying that would be, after it occurs for the 10th, 20th, 50th time.

It doesn't have to happen this way though.

If the next map in the playlist comes up and you don't own it, you and everyone else who doesn't own it are moved to a DLC map you own. Everyone else stays on the new map. Teams are rebalanced in this process as well and it usually doesn't take too long for a playlist to fill up with new people replacing those that were moved.

The problem here would be groups of teammates potentially getting split up unless it moved the whole team to the map everyone owns. Which is fine. I usually play with people that own everything.
  • Straywalker
    1034 posts Member
    Vindictum wrote: »
    And if visuals ain't enough for you, and numbers are your thing, i calculated that too.

Out of choosable options considering dlc, maps and modes, there are 89 options to choose from, 89 ways the playerbase is split in one region

considering all regions that's 534 possible options available

This is still not considering offline players who's number will increase when they release a decent single player option and also not considering the difference of time during the day/night that everybody plays at.

And this is JUST up to Outer Rim

All things taken into account, it's clear why OR is a forced playlist format

illustrates just how fragmented the community is. I think the model for DLC was based on the longevity of the player base being higher than what it is currently. Even if you have that master DLC rotation, which would have been nice, there are players who would have only bought Outer Rim or only bought Bespin etc. They would be in their own little fragments.

I think maps being part of DLC is the problem, but it's also what defines it more than anything else so it's really a difficult position. Master DLC rotation would have worked beautifully if everyone who bought a DLC, actually buys the entire pass, and not individual ones. It wouldn't solve the quartering as it is now though unfortunately

I had a whole topic about DLC and split player base actually
    http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/forums/discussion/41217/this-game-is-the-titanic-dlc-maps-is-the-iceberg/p1

meh~

Never tell me the odds....
    Playstation 4 fun :p Proud member of the 3PO community
  • grrlpurple
    1074 posts Member
    Actually a similar system worked fine in uncharted 2 and 3 online.