criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

So far a terrible may the 4:th 4 me, Battlefront wise

Straywalker
1034 posts Member
edited May 2016
Ok, so the Ion grenades are rendered worthless now, I have to find some other means to take out star fighters, gun turrets and robots - it doesn`t even work as a mine anymore, just explodes on impact - suggestions?

BTW. I just ragedquit an WA game because of the 3 pilots on the opposing team winning the matches three times in a row with 0 or up to 2 death of their own. Constantly three or more fighters in the air doing strafe runs and killing my team by the hundreds (ragequit the game when it was a total of 213 kills for the pilots and we were just starting to fight on the second uplink at Echo base). Without the ion grenade as it used to be, I can no longer take them out with it or even not with the Ion Torpedo, which now is far to easy to break the lockon.

Sorry Dice, normally I wouldn`t complain about things like this... but while you are being so stubborn on NOT letting people play the game mode they want (yes, I`m talking about Outer Rim Extraction), when they want, I have started to irritate me over a lot of things in this game.... a lot of things
Playstation 4 fun :p Proud member of the 3PO community

Replies

• Alan_Ackbar
    3062 posts Member
    Ok, so the Ion grenades are rendered worthless now

latest?cb=20151014174536

Official member of The Second Hand Club™

Proceed with the countdown!

giphy.gif
  • Man that sucks. I would've quit out after the first game lol.
  • Admiral_Xen
    2604 posts Member
    My experience is the opposite, Ion grenades are better. Detonate on vehicles/turrets/droids faster and work like a ghetto Impact Grenade vs Infantry. Much more versatile IMO. My kill rate with them has improved noticeably.
    61tgj36mc1n9.png

Founding member and commissar in chief of the Church of Janina. PSN: HanGerrelShot1st
  • Chriskeens
    3 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Star fighter spam sucks.
  • Straywalker
    1034 posts Member
    Chriskeens wrote: »

You know that you can play outer rim extraction whenever you want to... In the same way that you would map select in the 'all game modes' section, you just press square instead of x (on ps4) when selecting the outer rim game modes.

You do know you can not? Try it and call me after you play 6 rounds of Extraction without a quit and reenter, if you can do that I`ll buy you a dinner at Mama`s hot grill in Nassau, Bahamas
  • Straywalker
    1034 posts Member
    Man that sucks. I would've quit out after the first game lol.

The Emperor: You want this, don't you? The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant.

Straywalker: No.
  • CallMeDeee
    1656 posts Member
    My experience is the opposite, Ion grenades are better. Detonate on vehicles/turrets/droids faster and work like a ghetto Impact Grenade vs Infantry. Much more versatile IMO. My kill rate with them has improved noticeably.

They functionality of them is still the same, they still explode in proximity to aircraft, right?

Just no more timer when landing on the ground?
  • sneeyatch
    297 posts Member
    (ragequit the game when it was a total of 213 kills for the pilots and we were just starting to fight on the second uplink at Echo base).

Now that sucks. If I were playing in that game, I would have been 212 of those deaths... Starfighters have special radar just for me.

• J-154
    26 posts Member
    @Straywalker Its best if these complaints are posten under "Feedback and bug reporting". It is probably our best chance to get serious inquiries read by the developers
    Great, kid. Don’t get penisy
  • Mcap
    873 posts Member
    Chriskeens wrote: »
    Star fighter spam sucks.

It does, and it's unfortunate that they've now hobbled one of the few weapons you could get them with.

Let's be real, there are no very effective ground weapons against aircraft. Chipping away at them with ion torps and ion shot is a waste of time, takes you off objective, and generally doesn't work unless you have a group doing it (or a very inexperienced pilot).

On the flip side aircraft are very effective against infantry. Too much so in my opinion.

We need something to balance it out.
  • Lonnisity
    1941 posts Member
    How the heck were you taking out starfighters with a grenade...?
    "Yeah, I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."
  • Trooper8059
    10197 posts Member
    Lonnisity wrote: »

Agreed. Only scenario where that works is if the pilot is insane and goes that close to the ground.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Straywalker
    1034 posts Member

When they get close enough you time your throw... I had the timing right for the previous version but now I have to get closer to the fuselage for the grenade to explode and my timing and aim is seriously off.... :smiley:

Search Youtube for it, it`s a video bragging moment so there should be plenty of them :smiley:
  • Lonnisity wrote: »

• Tyjames
    807 posts Member

Nice shot!

• Now that... is... EPIC! *applause*
    PSN: N3GAT1VE_CR33P (Note: blank requests get deleted)
  • Wallofman
    1105 posts Member
    If the ion grenade is rendered worthless, why not switch to the ion shot? I loan that up on WA maps with a lot of turrets. charge it up and I can destroy any stationary turret, droid, etc. from far away, and with as little as three trigger pulls. I find the Ion Shot to be very effective against those.
  • Straywalker
    1034 posts Member
    Wallofman wrote: »
    If the ion grenade is rendered worthless, why not switch to the ion shot? I loan that up on WA maps with a lot of turrets. charge it up and I can destroy any stationary turret, droid, etc. from far away, and with as little as three trigger pulls. I find the Ion Shot to be very effective against those.

Hmmm.. might try that.. charging up you say? how do you do that?
  • Jaywal
    2856 posts Member

Holy cannoli
    May the force be with you.
  • Wallofman wrote: »

Hmmm.. might try that.. charging up you say? how do you do that?

He's just referring to the fact that ion shot is a charged card that needs to be activated.

OP, the problem is that ion grenades were never intended to be that effective against air vehicles. The problem you had last night was because of your team. In any big mode, if the opposing team has decent pilots, you have to have a couple of guys willing to go up and challenge them relentlessly... Even if it means they are going to die a lot. If your team doesn't have people willing to do this, the opposing team will quickly gain air superiority, and do what they did to your team last night. You must have people willing to go up and at least harrass those guys.

I see this all the time. Mostly when playing as the imperials. Because the rebels have superior starfighters, you often get imperial teams where no one is willing to go up and challenge them because they are scared to get killed by them. But even if you're going to die up there, you absolutely need to go up there and at least keep them busy. If not, and they are effective rebel pilots, they will sit up there all game and render your AT STs useless, and their airspeeders will go crazy on your infantry. Even if your guys are going up and dying against their guys, as long as they are relentless, your AT STs will be far more effective on the ground. I don't need any examples to tell you how much of a game changer that can be because I'm sure you've already seen it.

Also, another bit of advice for imperial pilots, if you haven't figured it out yet, is to ALWAYS take out/attack the rebel STARFIGHTERS first. Airspeeders are no threat to TIE fighters, and they usually cannot take down an AT ST that quickly unless they pull a kamikaze move which, of course, means one less airspeeder up there to punish your infantry.
  • Straywalker
    1034 posts Member
    @LANCE_NO_PANTS, it`s a little late to go for your Ion Torpedo or have your friends get theirs when the game already has begun and you didn`t equip Ion Torpedoes in any of your starcard hands... I usually get one or two strafing fighters with my Ion Grenade but now I have to practise... again... :smiley:
  • The game is totally unbalanced for the imp. There are too much air Vehicles at the same time and NO ground to air weapon. NOT A **** SINGLE ONE. Now I'm fed up to play my full WA game trying to take down the 3 a wings with ion torpedoes. When there are no tie pilote on the map I quite when I get kill twice by the same player. DICE don't care about the players. I have bought the season pass but I think that I will stop to play. No one apparently in there team plays WA. I don't won't to be kill 10 times by the same player who's ability is to shoot players without opposition in the spawning area.
  • Two words...Ion Torpedo.... it's good....get familiar with it and those starfighters are in trouble.
  • I understand your frustration my friend. I really do. I play supremacy pretty much exclusively... always with a bunch of randoms haha! Because of this, I've had to teach myself to be at least effective in any role that my team needs filled at any given time.

Everyone has a particular role (ie destroying vehicles, sniping, etc) that they enjoy. This is their comfort zone. The problem is, in the big modes, it's just a luck of the draw thing with everyone playing within their comfort zone. This often leads to teams that are completely lacking people who play a certain role that may or may not be necessary for victory (ie no pilots). The teams that win over and over consistently have people willing to do whatever is necessary, and that can change from game to game.

Having to go up against a team with effective, experienced rebel pilots, for example, is the worst. But if no one else on my team is doing it, and they are punishing the living daylights out of our infantry and AT STs and preventing my team from advancing, I know I have to do it. You have to have guys that are like the garbage man on your team... Willing to do the dirty work.

But I digress... Yeah, so the next time you run into the situation where the other team has pilots that are controlling the game, and you didn't pack your ion torpedo, try this... Grab every single starfighter token you can, fly right at the closest enemy starfighter, and try to take him down as quickly as possible even if it means crashing into them. Do this relentlessly. If you do this, and your team still can't advance to the objectives, then it most likely means that your team is just garbage, and incapable of winning consistently. Best to leave that team after the game in that situation.
  • Straywalker
    1034 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I actually tried that... "I`m not such a bad pilot myself.." but three Xwings are 2 to many for a single T.I.E, even if its me behind the controls. If only all of them explosive shot spammers could aim for the star fighters instead of the poor enemy ground soldiers... :smiley:

Oh, and I`m not a newb, I´ve been in this game since release in november and before that I was in Battlefield 4, tactics only work with a team and communication