criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar
Double XP Event

Maybe I'm getting too old for this generation of games such as Battlefront

Prev1
With the news of the new Battlefront game coming out I can't help but to feel hesitant as well as of my expectations with this one i'm playing as well as the future ones. As I'm turning 28 and by the time that game comes out I'll be 29, maybe I'm getting to old for this generation of gaming. between season passes, gray areas to how much content should be in a game or what is considered to be DLC is not to this new era of style maybe i'm a relic, an old dinosaur or something, I don't know.

Replies

• Tattered29
    1025 posts Member
    I have no clue what your saying
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Your not getting to old.
    Your to smart for the scams anymore.
    This video gaming industry has gone down hill.
    Something needs to change.

Yea the younglings don't see it and they can get their parents to buy everything. And the ones addicted can't stop.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

But many of us are waking up and see the strings they are pulling.

Plenty of good videos on YouTube starting to pop up about the video gaming scams.

Most of the big companies do it now.
    If you really want to get your moneys worth in video games, go retro gaming or independent/small companies.

Don't ever pre order anything.

2525499_700b.jpg

HueHue
  • JayZack
    122 posts Member
    Im feeling the same way. I miss the days where games were complete upon release without a 50 dollar season pass. It seems as if gaming companies are scrapping for more and more of our money using whatever method they choose.
  • Dkastro
    61 posts Member
    26 going on 27. Will be 28 when Battlefront 2 comes out.

I have zero issues with buying season passes, DLC, expansion packs or anything like that. Especially if it's for a game that I love.
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    With the news of the new Battlefront game coming out I can't help but to feel hesitant as well as of my expectations with this one i'm playing as well as the future ones. As I'm turning 28 and by the time that game comes out I'll be 29, maybe I'm getting to old for this generation of gaming. between season passes, gray areas to how much content should be in a game or what is considered to be DLC is not to this new era of style maybe i'm a relic, an old dinosaur or something, I don't know.

Brother, I'm 40 and I still love gaming. In fact, I love it more now. We have so much to choose from. The graphics nowadays are literally "amazing". Anything you can think of can be (and probably is) a video game that you can just pop in and live out a virtual fantasy for a few hours at a time.

Age ain't nothin but a numba... Especially when it comes to video gaming. When you have a 40 year old and a 4 year old playing the same game and loving every minute of it, all is good.
    41st Forum Fury Battalion Member
  • mastery0ta
    6501 posts Member
    Fellow 28 year old here. We aren't too old. We just expect more from our games, hell it's not even that, the industry has changed and pumps out lackluster, unfinished titles. They have gotten lazy expecting the sheep to buy every time a new game releases . Say no to preorders. Say no to dlc that we have no idea what will be included. The only thing they listen to are dollar signs, or lack thereof more specifically
  • swaza79
    778 posts Member
    What @briandt75 said! I'm 37 (had to calculate that) and love this game
  • I'm 48 and still regularly make top 4 on WA. Your never too old. Just enjoy.
  • Zephkiel
    1790 posts Member
    I actually don't object to the season pass/dlc model at all (28).
    I object to abysmal post-launch support after a misleading and massive marketing campaign, on the back of disrespectful design choices in regards to the source material.

EA, you *had* open access to my wallet and everything inside. All you needed you do was make an adequate battlefront sequel.
  • Totally agree (48) Although graphic wise, they are better, the content stinks. Agree small Developers are the way to go and dont prepay ! .
  • Zephkiel wrote: »
    I actually don't object to the season pass/dlc model at all (28).
    I object to abysmal post-launch support after a misleading and massive marketing campaign, on the back of disrespectful design choices in regards to the source material.

EA, you *had* open access to my wallet and everything inside. All you needed you do was make an adequate battlefront sequel.

Circle gets the square.
  • 44 here and i love the game. This is my main game that i play consistantly. When not racing Assetto Corsa.
  • Mirtma
    1 posts Member
    51 here. And not feeling old for gaming. Selling strategy changed, games are multiplayer oriented. But it's fun and good relaxation.
  • 40 here. I've said it before, what I see is games getting more expencive to make, and the market not willing to accept a price increase. I payed $50 for Mario 3 when it was new. Thats a retail increase of $10 in, what, 25 years? So in stead of more expencive games we get less game, with add ons. It's a trick, sure. They trick us into paying more over time rather than up front. If gamers would accept an $80 retail game, this wouldn't happen as much.
  • PopoTateo
    4866 posts Member
    To old? I will be 37 when this new game comes out, but i dont class that as to old. The reason i wont buy is simply because i have only just paid a total of £90 for the first game. The 4th dlc will drop early next year, and before ive had a chance to enjoy it, they expect me to pay another £50? Not gonna happen.
  • eckoro
    19 posts Member
    mastery0ta wrote: »
    Fellow 28 year old here. We aren't too old. We just expect more from our games, hell it's not even that, the industry has changed and pumps out lackluster, unfinished titles. They have gotten lazy expecting the sheep to buy every time a new game releases . Say no to preorders. Say no to dlc that we have no idea what will be included. The only thing they listen to are dollar signs, or lack thereof more specifically

I think people are catching on gradually. Personally I have never pre-ordered a game. I have never normally struggled getting it on release date. If I have pre-ordered on Amazon for example it's usually been the week before and people are normally well adversed in the game by then. I don't know why people pre-order a year ahead. You can still normally get the pre-order offer within a week time frame anyway.

I think with newer franchises it is easier to pull this off, with Battlefront 2 they are going to have to convince people on the announcement how much this new game will offer on launch.
  • PopoTateo
    4866 posts Member
    It will have offline multiplayer. Calling it now.
  • I remember my dad working his backside off to get me street fighter 2 for the mega drive when I was about 12 or so. It cost £70 for the game and you needed new six button pads at £30 each to play it. Of course I needed two pads (spoiled brat n' all) for the mates. When you think that the total price he paid is probably the equivalent of two thirds the cost of the latest consoles, allowing for inflation, it doesn't seem bad. I think the difference comes down to profit margins and work involved.

These days, bigger teams, with lower (relative) pay, code using prebuilt engines to churn out untested games in record time, not for the benefit of the consumer, but this quarters shareholders. They're trying to please the wrong people. Shareholders can be as fickle as the wind but consumer loyalty is, for some reason, as strong as steel.

While I don't feel like it's causing the downfall of the gaming industry, it is ruining our perceptions and trust of it and, more importantly, it's wasting fantastic license opportunities like ea was given with Star Wars!!!
  • JamesP
    547 posts Member
    Your powers are weak old man
  • Cannikin
    6 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I'm in my 40s. You're not too old for games. You're just waking up to the art of marketing and how it is used to separate you from your money first, and question whether or not it was a good idea later.

Don't pre-order. Don't buy on day 1 and never buy a package of mystery content labeled "season pass" until they detail everything that's in it. This is what leads them to put out crap. They know people will buy it. Maximize profit while minimizing cost. If you want quality, you're going to have to withhold your money until it is offered.
  • Well said
  • I'm 51 and I love this game. while I hated having to pay the $50 PlayStation Plus fee I didn't mind at all forking over the money for the season pass.
    I made a decision a about 20 Years ago to limit the types of games I play to Star Wars. It's saved me thousands and I've no regrets missing out on the other great game franchises like Halo, CoD, and etc.
    I did modify my purchasing to include Lego games after the Lego Star Wars games came out several years ago.
    So, if you're tired of spending so much of your hard earned money on video games, DLCs and season passes then limit what you purchase to games or themes you love.
  • PopoTateo
    4866 posts Member
    Or you can just join a rental service? Im with boomerang, and for £13.99 a month i can have unlimited games as long as i only have 2 at home at once. This way, i dont miss out on any games, plus it saves an absolute fortune!
  • 41 with three kids. Love gaming as much now as I did playing Donkey Kong and Galaga in an arcade. I just have tons more disposable income and lots more responsibilities. And a lot less time. I don't feel too old, I just know value. This game should have been priced at $80-100 and included ALL the DLC content that is coming. And I would have paid it. I mean, I bought the Battlefront PS4 bundle. Then if you want to add more content on top of that, do the paid DLC Season Pass type thing.

This $50-$60 magical border price point is folly considering what all of us expect, IMO. Keeping the price point low is great for marketing, but if you don't deliver a product that feels finished everyone will call you out. See the pages of reviews on a site like Amazon.
  • I'm 38 here and when I first started, I definitely felt like the game had passed me by.

After a few months, I think I can hold my own now, but it takes a lot of effort.

As for the game and the announcement of part 2,there's no way I'll even consider it until after the bulk of releases come out for this one.

I'm starting to think this game really was one big beta for them to figure out what actually should have put into the game.

Since this is star wars, they would have a built in fan base that wouldn't and couldn't resist jumping into it.
  • Sssshhhh
    81 posts Member
    I'm 37. I don't have any issues with DLC or paying for Expansion content in general. There are some companies/games though that I feel take it waaaaaay too far though. EA's pack odds in some of their sports games are insane. Madden football puts out a $60-80 bundle 2-3 times a week that is practically worthless. People spend hundreds and thousands on that game for virtual cards that are worthless after a week. Disney's game with all the scannable characters to put into the game is ridiculous. Especially for the prices.

Expansions like the Seasons Pass on a game like this though seems like a great value to me.
  • ChadDSolo
    1457 posts Member
    Cannikin wrote: »
    I'm in my 40s. You're not too old for games. You're just waking up to the art of marketing and how it is used to separate you from your money first, and question whether or not it was a good idea later.

Don't pre-order. Don't buy on day 1 and never buy a package of mystery content labeled "season pass" until they detail everything that's in it. This is what leads them to put out crap. They know people will buy it. Maximize profit while minimizing cost. If you want quality, you're going to have to withhold your money until it is offered.

Agreed. I'm 41 and a lifelong gamer. I don't have issue with DLC or anything like that, I just want to see less of a 'one and done' throwaway gaming mentality. These gorgeous new games deserve a longer lifespan...and, to me, that's where offline content can save a game from the trash bin.
  • I'm starting to realize that going on the forums makes you get too into the games. You let the complaining and whine suck you in. You should take dlc's with a grain of salt and never buy season passes. Remember it's just a game. If it gets boring move on. I'm noticing the attitude of games trying to string people along for a year and a half. Which honestly is a little to much to ask. A game should be good for about 3 to 6 months depending on play time.
  • handcuff
    923 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    Your not getting to old.
    Your to smart for the scams anymore.
    This video gaming industry has gone down hill.
    Something needs to change.

Yea the younglings don't see it and they can get their parents to buy everything. And the ones addicted can't stop.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

But many of us are waking up and see the strings they are pulling.

Plenty of good videos on YouTube starting to pop up about the video gaming scams.

Most of the big companies do it now.
    If you really want to get your moneys worth in video games, go retro gaming or independent/small companies.

Don't ever pre order anything.

2525499_700b.jpg

HueHue

Got news for you. Running a company isn't free. And it has gotten far more expensive and difficult to do since 1999 for reasons software companies have zero control over.

You want the developers, you want licensing rights to the intellectual property, you want the tools and technology to produce...oh and by the way you have a ton of taxes to pay the government and all sorts of other garbage not even related to making the game itself that you have to pay for because the government says so......

Video games are now software, been that way for at least 10 years.....and guess what, the ONLY way to stay alive in software is via something called RECURRING REVENUE.

SWBF is a complete game without a single bit of paid DLC, what have you paid for? the Outer Rim maps and that is it.

You already got tons of updates for free, 3 maps, updates and changes to game modes, a reward system, we can make a pretty substantial list....they are already rolling out far more free stuff that to be honest, if they wanted to be the way you make them out to be, they COULD BE CHARGING FOR ALL OF IT and you should be stuck with what you got back in November. THAT is how software normally works, but this game is leaning on the free side of free/pay content.

Welcome to the real world....of delivering you your little fantasy world.
  • IronKeys
    103 posts Member
    It's completely unethical. Paying for extra things should be stuff that isn't necessary, like skins etc.

Otherwise you're essentially charging full-price for a demo, and then full price for the rest of the game. Paying more than the price of two games just for one game.

It's a con to dig money out of rich kids' parents, whilst the poorer kids have to suffer and long for.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    @handcuff
    HueHueHue
    I thought companies did everything for free?
    I had no idea! Hue
    This is a complete game?!?! HahahahhahahahahahhaHueHue

We got all that free stuff and updates because this game was rushed and incomplete for TFA.
    Everything you mentioned should have been in this game already.
    This game has been broken since release and they are already working on number 2..
    What we got in November was an incomplete broken beta.

Even the first paid dlc was a rip off.
    No rancor.
    No new planets.
    Reused skins for heroes. And special abilities.
    And the dlc maps would have been in the game Pre release free...

Yes I know how the real world works. With money. Sorry for trying to change it for the better.
  • bplahn39
    103 posts Member
    44 here and i love the game. This is my main game that i play consistantly. When not racing Assetto Corsa.

44 also, can't wait until AS comes out on the X1 next month! Hope they don't muck it up, so sick of forza 6 and it's non existing wheel support!
  • TanistheMild
    699 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    48 greybeard here... I am enjoying the game. Play a bit each day as life allows. Grew up pushing quarters in arcade games and do not plan on stop playing.. something vidoeish. But I think I am looking at things a bit different than some here. The number of hours I have played the game far outweigh the cost IMHO. Went and saw civil war.. 4 tickets, popcorn, soda = 3 hours of enjoyment for family for $65-$70. According to the stats, I have played 184 hours of Battlefront. Seems like it was worth it for the per hour enjoyment I have logged so far. (daughter plays as well on a sub account and has logged 44 hours too)
  • This game isn't complete by a very long shot.
    I'm ok with paying for DLC, season pass and whatnot, if the base game to begin with feels like a complete, finished work, but this doesn't.
    No wonder why game is half price, while game like GTA V, even after 2 years of release, still sells for 40-$50.
    Offering the season pass without even telling what's going to include is absolute *****. I don't care how good it may be (a year later right?) or not. That business model can only happen in video game industry, and it's the gamer's fault to allow it.
    It's like a woodworker selling you a dining table for $100, and 4 chairs for $50 total, but he will give you one chair every 4 months, and you have no idea what the chair is going to look like. But in this case it feels more like selling you a dining table for $100, then you pay $50 for the legs.
  • Kraigbot
    696 posts Member
    13z1av.jpg
  • Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    @handcuff
    HueHueHue
    I thought companies did everything for free?
    I had no idea! Hue
    This is a complete game?!?! HahahahhahahahahahhaHueHue

We got all that free stuff and updates because this game was rushed and incomplete for TFA.
    Everything you mentioned should have been in this game already.
    This game has been broken since release and they are already working on number 2..
    What we got in November was an incomplete broken beta.

Even the first paid dlc was a rip off.
    No rancor.
    No new planets.
    Reused skins for heroes. And special abilities.
    And the dlc maps would have been in the game Pre release free...

Yes I know how the real world works. With money. Sorry for trying to change it for the better.

And just to remind everyone... We still don't have Chewbacca. Lemme say that again. We don't have CHEWBACCA in a Star Wars game set in the Original Trilogy. Let that sink in. I'll wait.
  • handcuff
    923 posts Member
    IronKeys wrote: »
    It's completely unethical. Paying for extra things should be stuff that isn't necessary, like skins etc.

Otherwise you're essentially charging full-price for a demo, and then full price for the rest of the game. Paying more than the price of two games just for one game.

It's a con to dig money out of rich kids' parents, whilst the poorer kids have to suffer and long for.

Nothing in the paid DLC is necessary, thanks for proving the point against yourself and saving the rest of us the hassle
  • ChadDSolo
    1457 posts Member
    @handcuff
    ....but have you tried Missions?

:wink:
  • Kraigbot wrote: »
    13z1av.jpg

But I've learned so much!
  • handcuff
    923 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    No wonder why game is half price, while game like GTA V, even after 2 years of release, still sells for 40-$50.

LOLOLOL

I wholeheartedly INVITE you to go play GTA Online......you will come running back to SWBF the moment the novelty wears off.

Oh my, having stuck with that game up until SWBF came out, that silly comment actually made me laugh out loud.

If anything, it goes as a positive to EA that they reduced the price despite supporting the game LIGHT YEARS ahead of Rockstar (who is by far the worst I have seen at online gaming, great OFFLINE games, terrible online games) vs Rockstar who continues to charge full price.

To R* credit, all their updates are free, despite most of them being abandoned after the initial 1st week promo period, so it balances out pay full price for license to play and get free updates and terrible support/implementation, or pay reduced price after initial release and pay for well-supported DLC releaes and inplementation.

And if you weren't there for the MONTHS of character data deletions, DNS hacking, in-game DoS attacks, actual gamebreaking glitch one after another (HOURS of them posted to youtube over the past 3 years) i.e..endless money hacks, invincibility hacks, invisibility hacks, game modes freezing up entirely and causing console hard crashes, 90% of game modes are abandoned, exploit after exploit, dial-up-like load-in times......then don't EVEN try to claim EA/Dice poorly supports SWBF.

GTA Online is the most tragic gaming experience I have ever seen since Star Wars Galaxies. Conceptually an awesome game, chock full of awesome ideas, but with worst execution imaginable. Today the game on PS4, from a design standpoint is in the best shape it has ever been in but the player base abandoned it years ago, all that is left are children grinding the same heist over and over or running around free mode aimlessly. There is little to no competitive game mode play happening at all, a total bore. Not to mention spending 2 to 3 hours in game, you will be lucky to get 20 or 30 minutes of actual competitive gameplay, the rest will be loading screens waiting for lobbies to fill, waiting to load out from one server and load into another.....ugh it doesn't even compare.

EA/DICE are gods compared to R* online gaming.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    handcuff wrote: »
    IronKeys wrote: »

Nothing in the paid DLC is necessary, thanks for proving the point against yourself and saving the rest of us the hassle

Hahahhahahah wat?
    Your ***** bud
  • handcuff wrote: »

LOLOLOL

I wholeheartedly INVITE you to go play GTA Online......you will come running back to SWBF the moment the novelty wears off.

Oh my, having stuck with that game up until SWBF came out, that silly comment actually made me laugh out loud.

If anything, it goes as a positive to EA that they reduced the price despite supporting the game LIGHT YEARS ahead of Rockstar (who is by far the worst I have seen at online gaming, great OFFLINE games, terrible online games) vs Rockstar who continues to charge full price.

To R* credit, all their updates are free, despite most of them being abandoned after the initial 1st week promo period, so it balances out pay full price for license to play and get free updates and terrible support/implementation, or pay reduced price after initial release and pay for well-supported DLC releaes and inplementation.

And if you weren't there for the MONTHS of character data deletions, DNS hacking, in-game DoS attacks, actual gamebreaking glitch one after another (HOURS of them posted to youtube over the past 3 years) i.e..endless money hacks, invincibility hacks, invisibility hacks, game modes freezing up entirely and causing console hard crashes, 90% of game modes are abandoned, exploit after exploit, dial-up-like load-in times......then don't EVEN try to claim EA/Dice poorly supports SWBF.

GTA Online is the most tragic gaming experience I have ever seen since Star Wars Galaxies. Conceptually an awesome game, chock full of awesome ideas, but with worst execution imaginable. Today the game on PS4, from a design standpoint is in the best shape it has ever been in but the player base abandoned it years ago, all that is left are children grinding the same heist over and over or running around free mode aimlessly. There is little to no competitive game mode play happening at all, a total bore. Not to mention spending 2 to 3 hours in game, you will be lucky to get 20 or 30 minutes of actual competitive gameplay, the rest will be loading screens waiting for lobbies to fill, waiting to load out from one server and load into another.....ugh it doesn't even compare.

You're comparing this to GTA? That says it all right there, and I think proves our point.
  • JamesP
    547 posts Member
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    Your *****
    :D
  • I grew up with wonder boy, rocky etc... two buttons, up down left right. For me its crazy how gaming has developed.

I dont mind paying for what I get. Counting the hours I have played this is probably the cheapest sparetime activity possible.

Then again I have to say that it is the gamers fault that nowadays everything has to be registered online etc. Piracy made it that way...
  • handcuff wrote: »

LOLOLOL

Yeah, because SWBF, even though is ONLY MULTIPLAYER is free of bugs, and with lots of content.
  • badcow68
    128 posts Member
    I am almost 48 and have been gaming for over 30 years. Wow, that sounds old.

I have seen the changes that have come over the gaming world over the past 30 years.

It does seem like less game for more money and Games are not as complete upon release as they were a mere 5 years ago or longer.

DLC has "added" what might feel like pieces that should have been there to start with.

I don't remember playing some of those games, in single player as least, for as long as I do now.

Did it take 300+ people over 3 years to make some of those older games? I don't know.

I am not a uber player that has some high KD. Mine in Battlefront is .93 with my winning percentage at about a 44-45%.

Unless we, the gaming community as a whole, stop buying games, what else are we going to do about it?

I am grateful for what I do get to play, there is no way I could build Battlefront to play solo no less with people online.

Would I like more for less? Yes!!! I am not sure what the community can do as a whole to get what everyone is asking for. No matter what, there is no way to make everyone happy.
  • Outside of the disappointment of what SWBF is - an online multi-player FPS and not a scenario based immersion like the originals - I'm not disappointed at all. To echo other points, loads of value for the amount of time spent at a price point that really isn't all that expensive. Game prices have gone down in real dollars over the years (Sega Genesis games were ~$50 in 1992 which accounting for inflation is ~$85. So for first generation gamers (41 here), the price point is fine for the amount we play. When you consider the cost of game development has gone up (probably dramatically - cross platform support is required and not easy, HD visuals require a lot more effort than SD visuals, etc. etc.) we're in a good place historically.

Agreed it's buggy, agreed the server / network performance is inconsistent at best. But overall, EA/DICE seems to have been pretty attentive to the desires / demands of its customer base.
  • Don't get me wrong I am not trying to speak for anyone in regards to not buying games or anything. And as for age, 27 or 28 in the eyes of the universe is a spec of sand in the eyes of her waking up. However, I just feel like idk. These games are being mass produced quickly with less now rather than more. And while they listen to us it seems they still do what they want anyway.

Idk maybe I should just shut up and enjoy the moment. Life is short as well, but dang man it feels like this culture of games is just nickling and diming people these days.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    Don't get me wrong I am not trying to speak for anyone in regards to not buying games or anything. And as for age, 27 or 28 in the eyes of the universe is a spec of sand in the eyes of her waking up. However, I just feel like idk. These games are being mass produced quickly with less now rather than more. And while they listen to us it seems they still do what they want anyway.

Idk maybe I should just shut up and enjoy the moment. Life is short as well, but dang man it feels like this culture of games is just nickling and diming people these days.

Don't shut up
    Your on the right track.
    Help people open their eyes huehue
  • It's a matter of what YOU consider "value". If you have no personal stake in the quality of the contents of the game, simply blowing things to smithereens in a dozen new ways is your idea of "value". If you love Star Wars, and don't really care how the game works, thats your idea of "value". If, like me, you've played a gajillion fps games, AND are some degree of a Star Wars fanatic, then settling for games like this should make you more than just a little upset.

6 months in and we still have a bible of bugs/glitches/design flaws/canon breaking story elements/unplayable sections of a AAA title Star Wars game, and they just announced the sequel for next year. If you don't see a problem with that, you ARE the problem.

End rant.