criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar

EA's Battlefront is wildly successful

Prev1
thedrum808
1713 posts Member
edited May 2016
Despite certain members of communities such as this one giving consistently negative feedback and unsustainable ideas for game changes, EA's Battlefront has been enormously successful.

The primary concern of EA is to make boatloads of money. And that's okay - it's the primary role of a business. They're making great games and finding success in doing so. This is how it happened:

EA made a solid game. Most people think it's worth buying. Success.

EA released cool DLC addressing fan suggestions. Some people like it so they buy it. Success.

EA announces Battlefront II. Stocks shoot up. Success, so far.

For each of these events, the forums complained. About everything. Except graphics ;) But despite these complaints, EA considers all suggestions, decides for some and against others, for both game-related and profit-related reasons.

In all, EA did a wonderful job on this game - marketing/sales are highly effective, gameplay is generally enjoyable, and it immerses you in the Star Wars universe. This is justified by the enormous sales the game had, despite mixed reviews.

What's the point of this post then, then? Stop complaining about Battlefront II. (Clone Wars is irrelevant. Only fanatics want this) Stop making game-breaking suggestions. (E.G. nerfing everything, splitting playlists*) It's a good plan to release a Star Wars game every year, and a new Battlefront every two years. It keeps the company economically sustainable. If you think one (or even more than one) aspect of this game makes it unplayable, 14 million sales of Battlefront in 2016 disagree with you. And (maybe not to you, but) to EA, that's the primary concern: generating revenue by making great games - as it should be.

Source: Business major currently in college, biased because I have Battlefront/Season Pass and like them. Also
http://time.com/money/4325358/star-wars-battlefront-electronic-arts-earnings/
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/10/star-wars-battlefront-sales-top-14-million
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/11/the-force-is-with-ea-stock-spikes-thanks-to-star-wars.html

P.S. I was considering buying EA stock in March but decided against it. I now regret my decision.

*Splitting playlists is not feasible: (Credit to Vindictum)
Untitled.png

Replies

• VadersDad75
    585 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    If you think success is only measured in money, you're obviously a business major, guy... Err sorry, I mean "Dennis".
  • Trooper8059
    10199 posts Member
    So, how much is EA paying you to say this? Sure, the game may have sold well, but I'm quite sure all those 14 million copies are not in constant usage.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    - 1 Hue
    HueHueHue

Nice post though. Was a great read. And you had a lot of great evidence to back it up.
    (I guess?)

But let's remember that everyone may express opinions :)

Yea 14 million sold, but how many returned?
    I'm finding empty lobbies all the time on ps4 pacific.
  • mastery0ta
    6491 posts Member
    EA shill
  • irishtim7
    706 posts Member
    Semantics but actually it's 14 million copies shipped. As in, shipped for distribution. Not actually sold. I have no idea what the discrepancy would between the two figures but i assume there are copies in stock all over the world included in that 14M number that are not in the gaming public's console's/PC's. Just throwing it out there.
    I find your lack of Guinness disturbing
  • Cool pic, bro.

I love the game and don't dispute the sales numbers, it has obviously sold well. However, I would really wonder whether past sales indicate future success given that each time an addition (be it DLC or a "patch") is implemented, the product gets worse. Customers won't continue to flock to shoddy products.
    How many of the 14 million will not return for the sequel after being unhappy with the original? I don't have an answer, obviously and time will tell....but a company cannot continue making piles of money to keep their stockholders happy if they run out reheated garbage and drive their customers away.
  • thedrum808
    1713 posts Member
    Not sponsored, just unfiltered thoughts here. Obviously I'm posting this in the most sensitive forum possible, so I expect some backlash.

Hue hue hue
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    thedrum808 wrote: »
    Not sponsored, just unfiltered thoughts here. Obviously I'm posting this in the most sensitive forum possible, so I expect some backlash.

Hue hue hue

This is definitely the most sensitive forum
    HueHueHue
    Nerf the forum!
  • thedrum808
    1713 posts Member
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    - 1 Hue
    HueHueHue

Nice post though. Was a great read. And you had a lot of great evidence to back it up.
    (I guess?)

Thanks. The empty lobbies are more of a problem with the server - I've watched my friend find no games while I find a game immediately - same game mode, same platform, same region. But I don't know enough about this to make an solid inference on it.
  • thedrum808
    1713 posts Member
    This is definitely the most sensitive forum
    HueHueHue
    Nerf the forum!

Hue hue hue
  • shaundobson
    1899 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Ahaha why did you need to mention the fact that your a business major and considered buying stocks in EA.
  • thedrum808
    1713 posts Member
    Ahaha why did you need to mention the fact that your a business major and considered buying stocks in EA. Wow your the best :p

The previous to show at least I have a bit of knowledge about business, the latter to show I'm biased (lol)
  • thedrum808
    1713 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    If you think success is only measured in money, you're obviously a business major, guy... Err sorry, I mean "Dennis".

Says Vader's dad.

;)

Edit: Says Vader's 75th dad
  • shaundobson
    1899 posts Member
    Ahaha why did you need to mention the fact that your a business major and considered buying stocks in EA. Wow your the best :p

The previous to show at least I have a bit of knowledge about business, the latter to show I'm biased (lol)

You don't need business experience to understand whether a game has been successful or not.

It has been successful in confirming EA's negative reputation to alot of gamers.

You can tell alot from the fans on their views from this game by searching the Internet and the comments people have on it.

And they are not very favourable and that is another side of whether this game was successful in creating a happy playerbase
  • thedrum808 wrote: »
    - 1 Hue
    HueHueHue

(I guess?)

Thanks. The empty lobbies are more of a problem with the server - I've watched my friend find no games while I find a game immediately - same game mode, same platform, same region. But I don't know enough about this to make an solid inference on it.

So if your friend was ***** off that he couldn't find a match to play, would you discount his irritation at the game because it "sold 10 million copies"?
  • irishtim7
    706 posts Member
    If 14 million people were playing this game, there would be no need for the playlist rubbish. It would be interesting to know the used SWBF inventory at Gamestop or the like. The game has so much potential. The execution is just pathetic. Every fix reveals multiple new problems. I think the sentiment of most everyone here is that the company who we shelled out lots of money to should fix the Battlefront I and worry about Battlefront II later. If they couldn't deliver on the first game, what makes you think that the second would be any better?
    I find your lack of Guinness disturbing
  • shaundobson
    1899 posts Member
    irishtim7 wrote: »
    If 14 million people were playing this game, there would be no need for the playlist rubbish. It would be interesting to know the used SWBF inventory at Gamestop or the like. The game has so much potential. The execution is just pathetic. Every fix reveals multiple new problems. I think the sentiment of most everyone here is that the company who we shelled out lots of money to should fix the Battlefront I and worry about Battlefront II later. If they couldn't deliver on the first game, what makes you think that the second would be any better?

Yeah they wouldn't have made a playlist specifically to guarantee people a game if they were happy with the player numbers.
  • Technologically, there isn't even a need for a BF2. If this game was so greatly received, they'd just keep adding content to IT. The only reason to package up another one a year from now is to grab more cash from ignorant people who will want that content and not realize that all of that content could have been DLCs to this game. Another $60 + $50 for that season pass.
  • Mcap
    873 posts Member
    Good post but some things need clarification. 12 million units were sold during the launch of the first new SW movie in a decade, the first new BF game in a decade, as well as Xmas season. The next 2 million took 5 months to sell. Not to mention that figure represents what was sold to retailers, not consumers. We do not know how many units were sold to consumers as they have not released that figure.

I would wager that momentum is not repeatable. There is the potential for SW burn out by the next installment's release as there will now have been 3 SW movies in 2 years. Not to mention a portion of the original players/early adopters will likely wait until the price goes lower, or opt put entirely, based on experience with the first game. The excitement of the first BF game in 10 years will not exist. I also do not believe as many will purchase the season pass upfront because fool me once shame on you... and all that.

If you're a business major, and play in the stock market, I'm sure you understand the old adage that past performance is not necessarily a predictor of future results. ;)

Source: business major who graduated years ago, former registered rep, and person who dislikes this game as much as Wampas love to eat Tauntans.
  • GRDNANGL172
    5513 posts Member
    The game has successfully damaged EA's reputation even further. I will never buy another EA game without trying it first, and I will never purchase a season pass. No more preordering from EA ever again. Too many bugs and balancing issues, and when they finally do say it will be fixed in a patch it's not fixed. That's far from successful. Sorry. It could be a great game if they didn't keep breaking it and knew how to fix it.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    The game has successfully damaged EA's reputation even further. I will never buy another EA game without trying it first, and I will never purchase a season pass. No more preordering from EA ever again. Too many bugs and balancing issues, and when they finally do say it will be fixed in a patch it's not fixed. That's far from successful. Sorry. It could be a great game if they didn't keep breaking it and knew how to fix it.

+1 Hue
  • The game has successfully damaged EA's reputation even further. I will never buy another EA game without trying it first, and I will never purchase a season pass. No more preordering from EA ever again. Too many bugs and balancing issues, and when they finally do say it will be fixed in a patch it's not fixed. That's far from successful. Sorry. It could be a great game if they didn't keep breaking it and knew how to fix it.

+2 Hue
  • "EA stock spikes thanks to Star Wars"
    • Pandemic created a huge Battlefront fanbase
    • TFA maximized demand
    • Less concurrent players than BF4
    • Sequel announced 6 months later
    • Bug-ridden since day 1
    • Ongoing PR nightmare

It's outright delirious to think this game sold on it's own merit.

Well written, though.
  • handcuff
    923 posts Member
    So, how much is EA paying you to say this? Sure, the game may have sold well, but I'm quite sure all those 14 million copies are not in constant usage.

Because according to you debbie downers, one would think 13,999,990 of those copies went straight into the trash can after purchase.

Contrasted to other PS4 titles out there, this game is extremely well managed, and a lot of fun at the same time.....no matter what, if Jesus, Buddha, Muhammed, Moses, Ghandi, Yoda, and Neo from the matrix startred a game company and released gaming perfection....there will be the same group of whiners who will find ANYTHING to crab over, no matter how irrational and silly, you will find something because that is what you do, you can't NOT whine. You dont know any other way than spread your own misery.
  • shaundobson
    1899 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    handcuff wrote: »

Because according to you debbie downers, one would think 13,999,990 of those copies went straight into the trash can after purchase.

Contrasted to other PS4 titles out there, this game is extremely well managed, and a lot of fun at the same time.....no matter what, if Jesus, Buddha, Muhammed, Moses, Ghandi, Yoda, and Neo from the matrix startred a game company and released gaming perfection....there will be the same group of whiners who will find ANYTHING to crab over, no matter how irrational and silly, you will find something because that is what you do, you can't NOT whine. You dont know any other way than spread your own misery.

Well done mate the only argument you have is to throw around insults.

Shows you have nothing good to say
  • handcuff
    923 posts Member
    edited May 2016

LOL you clearly have not been involved in an online game that actually had REAL issues. Your complaints with this game will be comical in comparison.

The credits animation not working is not a real issue. The only REAL balance issue is the starfighters, and even that issue is not gamebreakingly out of balance. I have seen FS matches go both ways , just disproportionately against imperial, for now. You can still play, you can still have fun, but you have to have a bit more luck and skill on your side as an imperial TIE fighter.

You people with your "never again, waah" are full of it, you'll be buying the next game, you'll even buy the DLC...you make it obvious by the fact that you are still here playing the game and participating in the forum despite claiming the game is "broken" "unbalanced" and the developers are disreputable.

You should really step back and look at how silly you are behaving from an objective viewpoint.
  • Ademis
    141 posts Member
    Well said, this game may not have held up to every "star wars battle" dream. It sure has held my attention for when i can game this is the go to and has been for seven months. it has been a success. See you on the battlefront.

• Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    edited May 2016

LOL you clearly have not been involved in an online game that actually had REAL issues. Your complaints with this game will be comical in comparison.

The credits animation not working is not a real issue. The only REAL balance issue is the starfighters, and even that issue is not gamebreakingly out of balance. I have seen FS matches go both ways , just disproportionately against imperial, for now. You can still play, you can still have fun, but you have to have a bit more luck and skill on your side as an imperial TIE fighter.

You people with your "never again, waah" are full of it, you'll be buying the next game, you'll even buy the DLC...you make it obvious by the fact that you are still here playing the game and participating in the forum despite claiming the game is "broken" "unbalanced" and the developers are disreputable.

You should really step back and look at how silly you are behaving from an objective viewpoint.

HueHueHueHue
    What do you mean "You people?"
    Huehue
    So salty

Well done mate the only argument you have is to throw around insults.

Shows you have nothing good to say
    +1 Hue
  • SAmulticore
    3323 posts Member
    Unless you're an EA shareholder, sales aren't really the measure of a game. As pointed out, a perfect storm carried the sales but it really is incomplete, it's an almost-brilliant, could-be-great title. But the more time passes the more it looks like the wealth of content that could be added, won't be. No Mos Eisley in a comprehensive OT fps? No space battles? A dedicated push could make this an all time great but I'm less and less optimistic. We've got a fairly enjoyable game that could have been incredible.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Unless you're an EA shareholder, sales aren't really the measure of a game. As pointed out, a perfect storm carried the sales but it really is incomplete, it's an almost-brilliant, could-be-great title. But the more time passes the more it looks like the wealth of content that could be added, won't be. No Mos Eisley in a comprehensive OT fps? No space battles? A dedicated push could make this an all time great but I'm less and less optimistic. We've got a fairly enjoyable game that could have been incredible.

+1 Hue
    Well said
  • handcuff wrote: »

Here's a couple numbers for ya. Of the five of my friends that bought the game, I'm the only one that hasn't returned it.
  • handcuff
    923 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    irishtim7 wrote: »
    Semantics but actually it's 14 million copies shipped. As in, shipped for distribution. Not actually sold. I have no idea what the discrepancy would between the two figures but i assume there are copies in stock all over the world included in that 14M number that are not in the gaming public's console's/PC's. Just throwing it out there.

Valid point, but you dont ship all 14 million copies up front, and you certainly dont ship 14 million copies if you are only going to be able to sell 10,000 of them.

Grand Theft Auto V/Online sold 4 or 5 million copies, and look at it now. The game is largely abandoned compared to the first 9 months after release. And it was horribly botched at launch and really remained a barely managed mess until PS4 launch a year later. The PS4 version of the game is awesome in its design and features, great graphics with most of the issues that plagued PS3 handled, but the player base abandoned it and now you really cant play over 90% of the game unless you have 3, 6, 10, 30 friends willing to come with you and do what you want to do when you want to do it. The matchmaking cannot fill anything. It sucks because it would otherwise be such an awesome game if everyone hadnt left. For every hour logged in, you will be lucky to get 10 minutes of actual competitive gametime in.

I was one of the people just hanging out wasting time in GTA online until SWBF released. Now I probably log into GTA Online once or twice a month, get bored after 45 minutes and quit. SWBF is SOOO much better in every respect, and EA/DICE deserve kudos because I have seen what a REAL bad execution of an online game looks like....
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member

Here's a couple numbers for ya. Of the five of my friends that bought the game, I'm the only one that hasn't returned it.

ditto.
    Got this game to play with friends.
    4 of us started. I'm also the only one left
  • thedrum808
    1713 posts Member
    Cool pic, bro.
    Credit to Vindictum for that.
    I love the game and don't dispute the sales numbers, it has obviously sold well. However, I would really wonder whether past sales indicate future success given that each time an addition (be it DLC or a "patch") is implemented, the product gets worse. Customers won't continue to flock to shoddy products.
    I typically find it better every patch. Some nerfs (jumpcasting, A-wing) were really necessary. Also, free content is tight.
    How many of the 14 million will not return for the sequel after being unhappy with the original? I don't have an answer, obviously and time will tell....but a company cannot continue making piles of money to keep their stockholders happy if they run out reheated garbage and drive their customers away.
    This statement has merit. Too early to make judgment now.
  • thedrum808
    1713 posts Member
    So if your friend was ***** off that he couldn't find a match to play, would you discount his irritation at the game because it "sold 10 million copies"?

Fair point. But this is directed at those that want to petition EA to change stuff that's not necessary.
  • thedrum808
    1713 posts Member
    Mcap wrote: »
    Good post but some things need clarification... The excitement of the first BF game in 10 years will not exist.

This is a concern, and I wonder if the average stockholder takes this into consideration.
  • thedrum808
    1713 posts Member

I don't think Mos Eisley is necessary, although I'd like it. Were there prominent space battles in OT? (besides the Death Star runs, which are addressed in DLC).

• thedrum808
    1713 posts Member

I don't know anyone who returned it. I knew some that tried it and didn't like it, but never so far as to return it.
  • thedrum808
    1713 posts Member

Grand Theft Auto V/Online sold 4 or 5 million copies, and look at it now. The game is largely abandoned compared to the first 9 months after release. And it was horribly botched at launch and really remained a barely managed mess until PS4 launch a year later. The PS4 version of the game is awesome in its design and features, great graphics with most of the issues that plagued PS3 handled, but the player base abandoned it and now you really cant play over 90% of the game unless you have 3, 6, 10, 30 friends willing to come with you and do what you want to do when you want to do it. The matchmaking cannot fill anything. It sucks because it would otherwise be such an awesome game if everyone hadnt left. For every hour logged in, you will be lucky to get 10 minutes of actual competitive gametime in.

I was one of the people just hanging out wasting time in GTA online until SWBF released. Now I probably log into GTA Online once or twice a month, get bored after 45 minutes and quit. SWBF is SOOO much better in every respect, and EA/DICE deserve kudos because I have seen what a REAL bad execution of an online game looks like....

As I don't usually follow many other franchises, this is interesting to me. What are the measures of "success" for an online game? Player counts/playability? Amount of fun? Addressing fan requests? In each of these, I'd consider Battlefront successful. I think the fans are a little rabid here because it's easy to find Star Wars fanatics who want everything in a game (especially those of us who played Pandemic's Battlefront II and were amazed at the sheer amount of content).
  • I'm in a wierd mood today after the battlefront 2 announcement.

I feel like the future of battlefront 1 will just be a couple more bug fixes and then honouring what was promised in the season pass.

I'm thinking they're already turning their attention to Bfront 2, and only enough attention as is necessary will focus on the rest of this game.
    Feeling bummed atm.
  • thedrum808
    1713 posts Member
    I'm in a wierd mood today after the battlefront 2 announcement.

I feel like the future of battlefront 1 will just be a couple more bug fixes and then honouring what was promised in the season pass.

I'm thinking they're already turning their attention to Bfront 2, and only enough attention as is necessary will focus on the rest of this game.
    Feeling bummed atm.

I think they can make the second game faster than the first, so I don't think they'll abandon Battlefront yet. But I think it's pretty late in the game's life to address free content anymore, so bug fixes and DLC are it. I'm not mad.

Besides, I happily paid $110 for the game. I've logged 300 hours in, so about $.35 an hour, which I'm okay with. My goal is less than $1 per hour for gaming - if I play for 60 hours, I'll pay $60.

I don't know anyone who returned it. I knew some that tried it and didn't like it, but never so far as to return it.

Cool story.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member

3 of my good friends returned it.
    You can find many unsold or used battlefronts in your local Gamestop. HueHue
  • iWattt
    62 posts Member

Hue hue hue

If you think this forum is sensitive then I feel bad for you. The complaining, butt hurt, trolling, entitlement, and immaturity are at least twice as bad on the destiny forums

Untitled.png

Why have you got it under US West its exactly the same game in Europe
  • ctlesq
    56 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    However, you all wish to cut it, and I think both sides have made valid points, (for the record I come down on the side of this game was a success (yes, game play - despite issues) and commercially). However, I think the lack of community events, double point weekends - I am really saying day to day attention / management is starting to persuade me that EA/Dice have forgotten about this game. I compare this to COD:BO3 and it just pales in comparison.

And an anecdotal number of people complaining on a forum does not equate to failure.
  • tommytom64
    1091 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Well, yes, in terms of units sold and profits, the game was indeed wildly successful. 14 million copies sold, generated millions of dollars for EA. Congrats for them. It was a financial, business, whatever you want to call it, success.

As for the reviews though... not really. Even the gaming review websites gave Battlefront mixed reviews, I mostly saw 5's and 6's, an occasional 7.

Just so you know, stranger majoring in business in college, something that sells well does not mean it's a good thing. It can be an indicator of quality, but it's not always.

I won't tell you that the people on this forum or in the YouTube comments are great. Whining and immaturity plagues every corner of the Internet. But there are valid points to be brought up regarding the content of this game. It's not as awful as some people make it out to be, but it's really not that great either.
  • Quizolio
    3221 posts Member

Right with you, buddy.

+1 Hue
    "A thing called grammar needs a buff."
    - tankertoad
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    "Long-term success for a business means building brand loyalty by getting your customers to keep coming back. EA/DICE have put off A LOT of players with what they did and didn't do with the game. There's no way the next game will get close to 14 millions copies sold because

1. they've created a bad reputation for themselves among gamers that will be more wary and skeptical of future products and

2. The uber hype for Episode VII was a once in a generation type thing that likely isn't going to be replicated in the near future with the new films"

-@NienNunbHuehue
  • VadersDad75
    585 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    "Long-term success for a business means building brand loyalty by getting your customers to keep coming back? EA/DICE have put off A LOT of players with what they did and didn't do with the game. There's no way the next game will get close to 14 millions copies sold because

1. they've created a bad reputation for themselves among gamers that will be more wary and skeptical of future products and

2. The uber hype for Episode VII was a once in a generation type thing that likely isn't going to be replicated in the near future with the new films"

-@NienNunbHuehue

Agreed. I'd also like to add that we have no reason to despise a game developer/producer. I'd be extremely happy to just play the game. Unfortunately with the encyclopedic list of problems this game has had, that's not possible. For several days, it wasn't even physically possible. At the moment, I'm currently playing with yellow bar rubber banding because that's as close as I can get to playing the game as they intended it. If you think that being able to actually log on and play the game is entitlement, well how nice it must be up there in your ivory tower.

There's also a lot to be said for the terrible creative choices in the game. Is no one to be held accountable? Is there no keeper of the flame of Star Wars that we all know and love?

I'm not a YES man, but I also know when someone has failed, but given it their all. That's not the case here. DISNEY/EA/DICE none of them give a ****. They just want to make those deadlines. All the way up tge chain. Gotta make those deadlines. New heroes? Oh man, that deadline is weeks away. What are we gonna do? Easy, Greedos heads already in the game. Oh wait, so's Nein Nunb.

Get it? They do not care about quality, only the bottom line.