criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar

EA's Battlefront is wildly successful

2Next

Replies

  • Strogg1980
    2574 posts Member
    I love blind followers of a game they remind me of that one scene in the Mummy "Imhotep...Imhotep....Imhotep"
  • ctlesq
    56 posts Member
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    "Long-term success for a business means building brand loyalty by getting your customers to keep coming back? EA/DICE have put off A LOT of players with what they did and didn't do with the game. There's no way the next game will get close to 14 millions copies sold because

    1. they've created a bad reputation for themselves among gamers that will be more wary and skeptical of future products and

    2. The uber hype for Episode VII was a once in a generation type thing that likely isn't going to be replicated in the near future with the new films"

    -@NienNunbHuehue

    Agreed. I'd also like to add that we have no reason to despise a game developer/producer. I'd be extremely happy to just play the game. Unfortunately with the encyclopedic list of problems this game has had, that's not possible. For several days, it wasn't even physically possible. If you think that being able to actually log on and play the game is entitlement, well how nice it must be up there in your ivory tower.

    How widespread was the outage?

    I don't completely agree with all of Webn8tr's assumptions.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    ctlesq wrote: »
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    "Long-term success for a business means building brand loyalty by getting your customers to keep coming back? EA/DICE have put off A LOT of players with what they did and didn't do with the game. There's no way the next game will get close to 14 millions copies sold because

    1. they've created a bad reputation for themselves among gamers that will be more wary and skeptical of future products and

    2. The uber hype for Episode VII was a once in a generation type thing that likely isn't going to be replicated in the near future with the new films"

    -@NienNunbHuehue

    Agreed. I'd also like to add that we have no reason to despise a game developer/producer. I'd be extremely happy to just play the game. Unfortunately with the encyclopedic list of problems this game has had, that's not possible. For several days, it wasn't even physically possible. If you think that being able to actually log on and play the game is entitlement, well how nice it must be up there in your ivory tower.

    How widespread was the outage?

    I don't completely agree with all of Webn8tr's assumptions.

    You don't have to agree :)
    Many hate what I say.
    Feel free to express opinions or debate with my points :)
  • ctlesq
    56 posts Member
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    ctlesq wrote: »
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    "Long-term success for a business means building brand loyalty by getting your customers to keep coming back? EA/DICE have put off A LOT of players with what they did and didn't do with the game. There's no way the next game will get close to 14 millions copies sold because

    1. they've created a bad reputation for themselves among gamers that will be more wary and skeptical of future products and

    2. The uber hype for Episode VII was a once in a generation type thing that likely isn't going to be replicated in the near future with the new films"

    -@NienNunbHuehue

    Agreed. I'd also like to add that we have no reason to despise a game developer/producer. I'd be extremely happy to just play the game. Unfortunately with the encyclopedic list of problems this game has had, that's not possible. For several days, it wasn't even physically possible. If you think that being able to actually log on and play the game is entitlement, well how nice it must be up there in your ivory tower.

    How widespread was the outage?

    I don't completely agree with all of Webn8tr's assumptions.

    You don't have to agree :)
    Many hate what I say.
    Feel free to express opinions or debate with my points :)

    I'd like to think this could be much friendlier than that. I think the hype for the new movie will be utterly insane. This ... is ... Star Wars. (And I did not like TFA, but I will see the new one.)

    There will be new fans.

    I am not going to argue that EA/Dice have a flawless product. I think it may be an overstatement that they ruined their reputations. Complaints are amplified on forums like this. In time, complaints will fade - consider the nostalgia for the older games. Nary a single complaint is every mentioned about them - today. In their day there were complaints. Give it time.

    I can't speculate as to the number of games that will or will not be sold a year from now. I suspect they will have a target and will hit that target. Does it matter if they do 14M again? I don't think so.

    I look forward to your disagreement. :)
  • Jobster
    70 posts Member
    I love Star Wars & I love the game. It's good; but really could & should be great.

    In my opinion it's 5% away from being a truely epic game. It's the fact that it's so close to being absolutely stupendous that really frustrates me.

  • VadersDad75
    585 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    ctlesq wrote: »
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    "Long-term success for a business means building brand loyalty by getting your customers to keep coming back? EA/DICE have put off A LOT of players with what they did and didn't do with the game. There's no way the next game will get close to 14 millions copies sold because

    1. they've created a bad reputation for themselves among gamers that will be more wary and skeptical of future products and

    2. The uber hype for Episode VII was a once in a generation type thing that likely isn't going to be replicated in the near future with the new films"

    -@NienNunbHuehue

    Agreed. I'd also like to add that we have no reason to despise a game developer/producer. I'd be extremely happy to just play the game. Unfortunately with the encyclopedic list of problems this game has had, that's not possible. For several days, it wasn't even physically possible. If you think that being able to actually log on and play the game is entitlement, well how nice it must be up there in your ivory tower.

    How widespread was the outage?

    I don't completely agree with all of Webn8tr's assumptions.

    3 days solid. And at the moment, I'm still hovering between white and yellow. I can run about 20 steps before I take 3 bavkward. That's the game I paid $60 +$15 for OR +$350 since I got the system just to play this game.

    Yeah, it's only a video game, but these are only words on a screen as well.

    I'd just love it if they showed a little more respect towards the people paying their bills. We're getting crumbs people, and we paid for three steak dinners.
  • ctlesq
    56 posts Member
    ctlesq wrote: »
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    "Long-term success for a business means building brand loyalty by getting your customers to keep coming back? EA/DICE have put off A LOT of players with what they did and didn't do with the game. There's no way the next game will get close to 14 millions copies sold because

    1. they've created a bad reputation for themselves among gamers that will be more wary and skeptical of future products and

    2. The uber hype for Episode VII was a once in a generation type thing that likely isn't going to be replicated in the near future with the new films"

    -@NienNunbHuehue

    Agreed. I'd also like to add that we have no reason to despise a game developer/producer. I'd be extremely happy to just play the game. Unfortunately with the encyclopedic list of problems this game has had, that's not possible. For several days, it wasn't even physically possible. If you think that being able to actually log on and play the game is entitlement, well how nice it must be up there in your ivory tower.

    How widespread was the outage?

    I don't completely agree with all of Webn8tr's assumptions.

    3 days solid. And at the moment, I'm still hovering between white and yellow. I can run about 20 steps before I take 3 bavkward. That's the game I paid $60 +$15 for OR +$350 since I got the system just to play this game.

    Yeah, it's only a video game, but these are only words on a screen as well.

    I don't discount that frustration for a moment. If it was on $15 I would be upset. I am wondering how many people suffered a similar outage. My comment is, and has been to a number of people, I understand the frustration - but how many people did it impact? (If you respond the only person it impacted was me and that is a problem - I can't argue with that and I would feel the same way. That said, I can't then turn around and claim this entire game was a failure.)

    I might note - I commented on twitter about issues with The Division when it first launched and was told outages were normal, FWIW.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    ctlesq wrote: »
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    ctlesq wrote: »
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    "Long-term success for a business means building brand loyalty by getting your customers to keep coming back? EA/DICE have put off A LOT of players with what they did and didn't do with the game. There's no way the next game will get close to 14 millions copies sold because

    1. they've created a bad reputation for themselves among gamers that will be more wary and skeptical of future products and

    2. The uber hype for Episode VII was a once in a generation type thing that likely isn't going to be replicated in the near future with the new films"

    -@NienNunbHuehue

    Agreed. I'd also like to add that we have no reason to despise a game developer/producer. I'd be extremely happy to just play the game. Unfortunately with the encyclopedic list of problems this game has had, that's not possible. For several days, it wasn't even physically possible. If you think that being able to actually log on and play the game is entitlement, well how nice it must be up there in your ivory tower.

    How widespread was the outage?

    I don't completely agree with all of Webn8tr's assumptions.

    You don't have to agree :)
    Many hate what I say.
    Feel free to express opinions or debate with my points :)

    I'd like to think this could be much friendlier than that. I think the hype for the new movie will be utterly insane. This ... is ... Star Wars. (And I did not like TFA, but I will see the new one.)

    There will be new fans.

    I am not going to argue that EA/Dice have a flawless product. I think it may be an overstatement that they ruined their reputations. Complaints are amplified on forums like this. In time, complaints will fade - consider the nostalgia for the older games. Nary a single complaint is every mentioned about them - today. In their day there were complaints. Give it time.

    I can't speculate as to the number of games that will or will not be sold a year from now. I suspect they will have a target and will hit that target. Does it matter if they do 14M again? I don't think so.

    I look forward to your disagreement. :)

    Great points!
    (I also greatly disliked TFA)
    But still excited for the new movies.

    Only way I can see people remembering this game in a positive way is if we get offline multiplayer/instant action.

    If we dont, this game will die when the servers go down. And if that happens, no one will ever play this again for battles or survival.
    People will just have a useless online focused game on the shelf collecting dust.
    Remembering all the fun they can't have again.

  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    ctlesq wrote: »
    ctlesq wrote: »
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    "Long-term success for a business means building brand loyalty by getting your customers to keep coming back? EA/DICE have put off A LOT of players with what they did and didn't do with the game. There's no way the next game will get close to 14 millions copies sold because

    1. they've created a bad reputation for themselves among gamers that will be more wary and skeptical of future products and

    2. The uber hype for Episode VII was a once in a generation type thing that likely isn't going to be replicated in the near future with the new films"

    -@NienNunbHuehue

    Agreed. I'd also like to add that we have no reason to despise a game developer/producer. I'd be extremely happy to just play the game. Unfortunately with the encyclopedic list of problems this game has had, that's not possible. For several days, it wasn't even physically possible. If you think that being able to actually log on and play the game is entitlement, well how nice it must be up there in your ivory tower.

    How widespread was the outage?

    I don't completely agree with all of Webn8tr's assumptions.

    3 days solid. And at the moment, I'm still hovering between white and yellow. I can run about 20 steps before I take 3 bavkward. That's the game I paid $60 +$15 for OR +$350 since I got the system just to play this game.

    Yeah, it's only a video game, but these are only words on a screen as well.

    I don't discount that frustration for a moment. If it was on $15 I would be upset. I am wondering how many people suffered a similar outage. My comment is, and has been to a number of people, I understand the frustration - but how many people did it impact? (If you respond the only person it impacted was me and that is a problem - I can't argue with that and I would feel the same way. That said, I can't then turn around and claim this entire game was a failure.)

    I might note - I commented on twitter about issues with The Division when it first launched and was told outages were normal, FWIW.

    Plenty of rage and anti EA battlefront talk on YouTube and some Facebook pages.
    Gamestop was also very unhappy with the low amount of sales for this game.
    A few star wars actors have spoken out against the game. Same with some disney/Lucasfilm people.
  • ctlesq
    56 posts Member
    I am interested in what comes from offline/instant play. I don't fault EA for not including it - because I don't ever recall it being promised.

    However, I am just getting this feeling that they have already moved on. COD:BO3 has double point weekends almost every weekend. What happened to the community events - whoopee - the rebellion remains strong. How about something for fans of the Empire, or Imperial skins?

    There was a player who was organizing games based on weapon types - last I saw was something akin to a civil war/ battle of Waterloo reenactment. He seemed to have more ideas and direction than our community owners (sorry guys, I love you and respect your commitment to the game but its true).

    And if you are on the west coast - well, sometimes it seems to take way too long to find a game.

    Its like the air has gone out of the balloon.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    ctlesq wrote: »
    I am interested in what comes from offline/instant play. I don't fault EA for not including it - because I don't ever recall it being promised.

    However, I am just getting this feeling that they have already moved on. COD:BO3 has double point weekends almost every weekend. What happened to the community events - whoopee - the rebellion remains strong. How about something for fans of the Empire, or Imperial skins?

    There was a player who was organizing games based on weapon types - last I saw was something akin to a civil war/ battle of Waterloo reenactment. He seemed to have more ideas and direction than our community owners (sorry guys, I love you and respect your commitment to the game but its true).

    And if you are on the west coast - well, sometimes it seems to take way too long to find a game.

    Its like the air has gone out of the balloon.

    100% agree.
    No they never promised offline. In fact the opposite hue.

    That was our civil war event haha!
    GRDNANGL172 did most of the heavy lifting.
    (41st forum fury battalion)
    If u have ps4 you should join us :)

    They have definitely moved on..
    They are already working on Battlefront 2, battlefield 1 (#5), and catalyst 2...
    This beta is dead :(
  • ctlesq wrote: »
    ctlesq wrote: »
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    "Long-term success for a business means building brand loyalty by getting your customers to keep coming back? EA/DICE have put off A LOT of players with what they did and didn't do with the game. There's no way the next game will get close to 14 millions copies sold because

    1. they've created a bad reputation for themselves among gamers that will be more wary and skeptical of future products and

    2. The uber hype for Episode VII was a once in a generation type thing that likely isn't going to be replicated in the near future with the new films"

    -@NienNunbHuehue

    Agreed. I'd also like to add that we have no reason to despise a game developer/producer. I'd be extremely happy to just play the game. Unfortunately with the encyclopedic list of problems this game has had, that's not possible. For several days, it wasn't even physically possible. If you think that being able to actually log on and play the game is entitlement, well how nice it must be up there in your ivory tower.

    How widespread was the outage?

    I don't completely agree with all of Webn8tr's assumptions.

    3 days solid. And at the moment, I'm still hovering between white and yellow. I can run about 20 steps before I take 3 bavkward. That's the game I paid $60 +$15 for OR +$350 since I got the system just to play this game.

    Yeah, it's only a video game, but these are only words on a screen as well.

    I don't discount that frustration for a moment. If it was on $15 I would be upset. I am wondering how many people suffered a similar outage. My comment is, and has been to a number of people, I understand the frustration - but how many people did it impact? (If you respond the only person it impacted was me and that is a problem - I can't argue with that and I would feel the same way. That said, I can't then turn around and claim this entire game was a failure.)

    I might note - I commented on twitter about issues with The Division when it first launched and was told outages were normal, FWIW.

    Thank you. I do appreciate your understanding. I have no idea whether it's an outage, or bad net code, or the fact that it's extremely difficult to make an exclusively online multiplayer game work consistently. None of those are things I can do anything about. I'm not even sure DICE has the know-how to fix any of it based on their track record. The real problem is communication. I posted o e thread here about the bad connection, and four other ones in the glitch feedback section. There were other people commenting that they had the same problem, and guess what the company supporting this game responded.

    Nothing. No comment.

    I've never seen a company take so little responsibility for a product. It's startling that someone putting out a Star Wars game, the first in ten years even, would say absolutely nothing about fixing all the problems with this game, and then have the gall to announce a new one.

    Most Satr Wars stuff that comes out: mugs, shirys, ice cube trays... I'm usually "oh man, I need that". Not because it's so great, but because it's Star Wars. It means that much to a lot of us. It's one of the few things that instantly makes you feel like a kid again. This game, the way it's been handled, and their BF2 release announcement are callous at best, but really closer to insulting. I guess Mr. Business major here would call it a "fiscally responsible business model", but really it's just taking advantage of our love of something and selling us a cardboard cutout of it... Twice.
  • Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    ctlesq wrote: »
    ctlesq wrote: »
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    "Long-term success for a business means building brand loyalty by getting your customers to keep coming back? EA/DICE have put off A LOT of players with what they did and didn't do with the game. There's no way the next game will get close to 14 millions copies sold because

    1. they've created a bad reputation for themselves among gamers that will be more wary and skeptical of future products and

    2. The uber hype for Episode VII was a once in a generation type thing that likely isn't going to be replicated in the near future with the new films"

    -@NienNunbHuehue

    Agreed. I'd also like to add that we have no reason to despise a game developer/producer. I'd be extremely happy to just play the game. Unfortunately with the encyclopedic list of problems this game has had, that's not possible. For several days, it wasn't even physically possible. If you think that being able to actually log on and play the game is entitlement, well how nice it must be up there in your ivory tower.

    How widespread was the outage?

    I don't completely agree with all of Webn8tr's assumptions.

    3 days solid. And at the moment, I'm still hovering between white and yellow. I can run about 20 steps before I take 3 bavkward. That's the game I paid $60 +$15 for OR +$350 since I got the system just to play this game.

    Yeah, it's only a video game, but these are only words on a screen as well.

    I don't discount that frustration for a moment. If it was on $15 I would be upset. I am wondering how many people suffered a similar outage. My comment is, and has been to a number of people, I understand the frustration - but how many people did it impact? (If you respond the only person it impacted was me and that is a problem - I can't argue with that and I would feel the same way. That said, I can't then turn around and claim this entire game was a failure.)

    I might note - I commented on twitter about issues with The Division when it first launched and was told outages were normal, FWIW.

    Plenty of rage and anti EA battlefront talk on YouTube and some Facebook pages.
    Gamestop was also very unhappy with the low amount of sales for this game.
    A few star wars actors have spoken out against the game. Same with some disney/Lucasfilm people.

    Check out the IGN comments section for the release announcement of BF2 if you really want to feel supported. It's hilarious. So much hate.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    ctlesq wrote: »
    ctlesq wrote: »
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    "Long-term success for a business means building brand loyalty by getting your customers to keep coming back? EA/DICE have put off A LOT of players with what they did and didn't do with the game. There's no way the next game will get close to 14 millions copies sold because

    1. they've created a bad reputation for themselves among gamers that will be more wary and skeptical of future products and

    2. The uber hype for Episode VII was a once in a generation type thing that likely isn't going to be replicated in the near future with the new films"

    -@NienNunbHuehue

    Agreed. I'd also like to add that we have no reason to despise a game developer/producer. I'd be extremely happy to just play the game. Unfortunately with the encyclopedic list of problems this game has had, that's not possible. For several days, it wasn't even physically possible. If you think that being able to actually log on and play the game is entitlement, well how nice it must be up there in your ivory tower.

    How widespread was the outage?

    I don't completely agree with all of Webn8tr's assumptions.

    3 days solid. And at the moment, I'm still hovering between white and yellow. I can run about 20 steps before I take 3 bavkward. That's the game I paid $60 +$15 for OR +$350 since I got the system just to play this game.

    Yeah, it's only a video game, but these are only words on a screen as well.

    I don't discount that frustration for a moment. If it was on $15 I would be upset. I am wondering how many people suffered a similar outage. My comment is, and has been to a number of people, I understand the frustration - but how many people did it impact? (If you respond the only person it impacted was me and that is a problem - I can't argue with that and I would feel the same way. That said, I can't then turn around and claim this entire game was a failure.)

    I might note - I commented on twitter about issues with The Division when it first launched and was told outages were normal, FWIW.

    Plenty of rage and anti EA battlefront talk on YouTube and some Facebook pages.
    Gamestop was also very unhappy with the low amount of sales for this game.
    A few star wars actors have spoken out against the game. Same with some disney/Lucasfilm people.

    Check out the IGN comments section for the release announcement of BF2 if you really want to feel supported. It's hilarious. So much hate.

    No way? Hahaha
    Thank you xD
    I feel alone sometimes here
  • ctlesq
    56 posts Member
    At this point, I can't wait to get home and have a scotch or seven.
  • XxSnAkE1GuNxX
    679 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Clone Wars is not irrelevant, at least not to me. If anything Disney is trying to make it irrelevant and we're letting them do it by not speaking up. While the films had lots of problems the TV show is one of the most entertaining things I've ever watched, and the combined material of these is great for a game like Battlefront
    The force will be with you. Always.
  • Is this game a success? From a certain point of view. Commercial & business wise, it may seems like it - but the future would look bleak. Players wise - it may not seems so because of many issues already stated (so not going to repeat them - you can find plenty in the forums). Fans wise, well, it's kind of neutral. Not sure if the fans are pure Star Wars or some may be EA/DICE. But overall feels neutral. Conclusion: game is a success, but not GREAT success.

    I love Star Wars & this game ain't too bad. Just that there are too many hypes that lead to a great deal of disappointment (i.e. dead rancor, "iconic" heroes, fixed bugs or "soon-to-come" contents like single player options).

    I want to enjoy a little "sci-fi" & indulge in my childhood fantasy, so I'm again disappointed with Disney/EA/DICE on making games that need to be "canon" - that really stifles a lot of innovations, creativity & freedom in developing GREAT games! In my opinion, the majority of the game follows the Star Wars canon & leave some rooms for creative development would be awesome! KOTOR & Jedi Knight series were never canon but because they develop & expand on base Star Wars movies & have the "Star Wars experience" in mind - those games were a great success!

    This game could be great & really like this game. From the moment, offline modes & single player experience is so dull that anticipation of investing money in the game is going to be short-lived (though the value may be there in comparison of playtime).

    By the way, was disappointed with TFA as well. I would like to think of the "hyped" villain - Kylo Ren would be a more formidable opponent than what the movie protrayed him as a spoilt brat that despite of his vast experience as a Force User, training in saber combat & being the grand-descendant of the legendary Sith Lord to be so whimpy.

    But I still look forward to the next episode. Just that my hopes & expectations are much lower now. Same goes with this game & any sequel until proven wrong.

    See you guys! Though I feel many could have "tone down" a bit, I understand the frustrations & the desire to make this game great! To me whether whining or otherwise, some of the comments & feedback actually do have valid points & if sufficient attention was paid to them, it could improve this game (though still far from being GREAT).
  • In case you haven't heard. Disney is dumping Infinity™ and high tailing itself outta the video gaming business. \o/
    luke.png
  • Oh...that suppose to be good? Take it as good news then. Thanks for the info!
  • I caught fire for my thread created to thank the developers for listening and fixing the game they issued out. It was misinterpreted as a blind post praising them and neglecting the flaws. Wasn't the case. I was giving credit where credit is due. This is different as this is a troll post that is directed to make people angry.
  • peck71
    160 posts Member
    Sold well it did, but how many customers will buy the next game? That's the question right now. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I for one won't buy the next game when this one isn't up to par. Most AAA games have voice chat, server browser, single player that's fun. Access to the whole game anyway's when offline. When did it become o.k. to not let someone access certain maps, modes, skins, just because you're not online? Not sure about other gamer's but this kind of thing irritates me to have to play with other people i don't know in order to play my game. Say i want to relax and play Heroes vs Villains on hoth, but nobody is playing on that map i'm done. Or nobody's left playing this game, they're all playing the new Battlefront II, so i guess i'm out of luck? I don't just throw away a game because the community is dead. This is a bad business model and us gamer's better put a stop to it quick. Or else it will become EA's madden. You have to buy the new one every year, because it's a whole new season, and everyone else is playing the new one. I can't wait to see how well Battlefront II will sell. If this game isn't fixed and all the DLC doesn't have as many issues as Outer Rim. Or how small the community is after it splits three more times. My guess is it won't sell as well as this first game. But Battlefield will sell but loads of copies, and i will probably have to have it. That game is Dice's baby and they will give it a lot of attention and won't alienate the community. Already confirmed server browser, which is no surprise to me. Will Battlefront ever get a server browser?
  • Vindictum
    567 posts Member
    thedrum808 wrote: »

    Untitled.png

    Why have you got it under US West its exactly the same game in Europe

    Oh look, the chart I made, didn't know it was going around. Anyway, to answer your question, it was a limited example showing only one branch out of the many as it would have been nigh impossible to represent all of it in a diagram.

    SW_Sig_zpsjlznlipn.png
  • Zach
    549 posts Member
    Eh I disagree about the playlists part. Like you said 14 million copies sold, if the game is doing as well as they say then there should be more than enough players to go around. Nice graphic though
  • Cocaine is wildly successful
  • mastery0ta
    6529 posts Member
    It's a helluva drug!
Sign In or Register to comment.