criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Official Forum and Communication

Prev1
It's been a while since we had a little blip where communication from the overlords seemed to pick up here on the forums. Everyone was fairly encouraged by it, EA seemed to be taking notice of the fact that as a community we were surprised and disheartened by the frankly appalling lack of social media contribution for a AAA title in a AAA franchise from a AAA publisher.

This game was probably the most expensive I've ever bought, a big hit for a lot of gamers, and we all know it's relatively unfinished, much of what we paid for isn't here yet and we may never see a lot of Star Wars content that we'd expect at that price. With the weight of the emotional investment in the franchise that's a bit tough to take, but for most of us still here it's a fun game and we're forgiving a lot. But the radio silence is baffling.

I run and contribute to the running of a couple of online businesses. Tiny ones compared to EA, insignificant even, but if I was running social media here we'd have an extra community manager on the official forum. User @leftweet is doing a lot of that for you. We'd have seen a Bespin skyline. A silhouette of Lando, a voice clip even. We'd have an official voice telling us that HvV issues are nearly cleared up, that FS is being fixed. I'd be building hype.

There is no hype. There's a week of communication for a major content launch and then static. We're kind of in an echo chamber here and for a major title in possibly the biggest franchise in the world, full of bugs and lacking content, at the hundreds of millions of dollars we collectively dropped on it, I think we can validly ask for a bit more openness.

Can a mod with a line to EA discuss this with someone? I'm not a lone voice in this, in fact many of the voices are a lot more frustrated than mine. You've heard them, or at least the mods have. I follow Creative Assembly for the TW games, and those guys will get my preorders all day. Because I know what I'm getting. Because the screenshot teases, the podcasts, the live streamed dev chats, the willingness to engage with the community is first rate. Can you guys just up that side of your game a bit?

Replies

• The Art of Fleecing by EA.

Out in paperbacks soon™. :D
    luke.png
  • moondynemc
    1979 posts Member
    Well put OP, absolutely agree. While we appreciate the difficult work the devs put in to this game, the lack of communication is really quite baffling to say the least. You only need one person to do it.
  • Tyjames
    807 posts Member
    I think the majority of us have been vocal about the lack of communication on the forums. I agree with the points you've brought up. But at this point I think using "EA's" preferred method of Twitter and requesting them to be more prominent on the official forums might gain more traction then posting here. Basically your preaching to the choir.
  • killerewok
    258 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Long story short, the day of the "official forums" is just about dead. In just about any game community, the forums consist of a couple hundred people tops. You just don't reach many people here compared to places like twitter and reddit. Once you consider the crossover (people who are here AND on twitter/reddit) there is very little value to paying someone to be here exclusively.

Yes, the argument can be made that the regulars of any forum are the most loyal, or maybe the biggest fans of a game, but our numbers are just not comparable to the bigger social media outlets. We get announcements, but if you are looking for engagement you will rarely find it on the "official forums".

If you can't understand that, you are probably old. lol Just kidding...but not really.
  • OP ! You the Real mvp
  • SAmulticore
    3322 posts Member
    Tyjames wrote: »
    I think the majority of us have been vocal about the lack of communication on the forums. I agree with the points you've brought up. But at this point I think using "EA's" preferred method of Twitter and requesting them to be more prominent on the official forums might gain more traction then posting here. Basically your preaching to the choir.

Probably. I'm just absolutely baffled that a company the size of EA with a franchise this valuable thinks a small blog post every six weeks is enough. I could tweet EA but I can't see it being picked up by anyone who could change anything.

In the last month we could have had a Cloud City screen shot, a fly-by, a dev chat on YouTube or live on Facebook, a video of Lando's voice recording session, a short doc on the challenges of bringing Dengar to life, all with someone here to discuss the state of the game with us. I just don't understand the reasoning when for saving the cost of a small media team they're damaging buyer confidence.
  • Tyjames wrote: »

Probably. I'm just absolutely baffled that a company the size of EA with a franchise this valuable thinks a small blog post every six weeks is enough. I could tweet EA but I can't see it being picked up by anyone who could change anything.

In the last month we could have had a Cloud City screen shot, a fly-by, a dev chat on YouTube or live on Facebook, a video of Lando's voice recording session, a short doc on the challenges of bringing Dengar to life, all with someone here to discuss the state of the game with us. I just don't understand the reasoning when for saving the cost of a small media team they're damaging buyer confidence.

TBF, theres no need to hype something most people already bought blind. lol
  • SAmulticore
    3322 posts Member
    killerewok wrote: »
    ...We get announcements, but if you are looking for engagement you will rarely find it on the "official forums".

If you can't understand that, you are probably old. lol Just kidding...but not really.

Hah! See my above post. It's not just this forum, it's customer engagement overall. Communication across all media is awful.

• Sumptiz
    341 posts Member
    EA and DICE..... SUCK

i wait the last card..........
    Star Wars Battlefront
  • Sumptiz wrote: »
    ea and dice..... suck.

Now you won't be in trouble. ;)
    luke.png
  • Can a mod with a line to EA discuss this with someone? I'm not a lone voice in this, in fact many of the voices are a lot more frustrated than mine. You've heard them, or at least the mods have. I follow Creative Assembly for the TW games, and those guys will get my preorders all day. Because I know what I'm getting. Because the screenshot teases, the podcasts, the live streamed dev chats, the willingness to engage with the community is first rate. Can you guys just up that side of your game a bit?

I certainly wish they would up that side of their game.

Nice thread, OP.

PSN: N3GAT1VE_CR33P (Note: blank requests get deleted)
  • killerewok wrote: »
    ...We get announcements, but if you are looking for engagement you will rarely find it on the "official forums".

Hah! See my above post. It's not just this forum, it's customer engagement overall. Communication across all media is awful.

It's like that alot of places now it seems. You see things like the Overwatch hype machine at Blizzard as a good way to go, but they spend a ton of dough, and it's marketing before the fact. It will drive sales on launch, but you won't see much after that because the marketing budget dissapears.

At this point, they aren't going to dump a bunch of money and resources into marketing the expansions because there just won't be the return to justify it. Like I said, most people getting it paid for it already, and the money is already going into the sequal.

• SAmulticore
    3322 posts Member
    Sumptiz wrote: »
    EA and DICE..... SUCK

Cool story but I honestly don't want this to turn into that kind of thread.

(^This dude right here is what happens when you do all the things I outlined in the OP. There are thousands of him, all bashing your product.)

• CallMeDeee
    1663 posts Member
    I agree OP, it has been far too quiet as of late from the EA/Dice gods. Nothing on the bugs that we keep fighting with, no teasers, nothing.

The silence is rather frustrating....
  • bhalienux
    838 posts Member
    killerewok wrote: »
    Long story short, the day of the "official forums" is just about dead.

I know, and I'm still sad that in my other favorite pastime, playing D&D, Wizards of The Coast shut down the official forums and moved all official info over to social media. It's definitely a trend, and "official forums" are slowly starting to become less of a focus.
  • Meanwhile at the headquarter

3mysticapes3.jpg
  • Sumptiz wrote: »
    EA and DICE..... SUCK

(^This dude right here is what happens when you do all the things I outlined in the OP. There are thousands of him, all bashing your product.)

Will the real slim shady please stand up! :D

P.s. Couldn't resist. ;) I'm out. o7
    luke.png
  • Sumptiz
    341 posts Member
    This game is boring.......... Outer rim boring and play the same maps is boring........ I SICK......
    Star Wars Battlefront
  • Baseeco
    562 posts Member
    Brutalizer wrote: »
    Meanwhile at the headquarter

3mysticapes3.jpg

So true.
  • SAmulticore
    3322 posts Member
    This game is boring.......... Outer rim boring and play the same maps is boring........ I SICK......

if u sick u must seeing doctor

doctor man him fix u sick
  • swaza79
    778 posts Member
    Elegantly put OP, the lack of communication is frustrating. And with good communication comes trust. You can see from the sarcastic/joking responses to the numerous "will we get (star card|news|maps|updates|fixes) today do you think?" type posts that trust is on the lower end of the scale.

Most gamers I know spend quite a lot of time scouring the web for news about new games, DLCs etc, and if there is nothing out there to be found, it will be filled up by other game's marketing material. I know I found this forum when searching for something about the seasonpass.

I do love this game despite its issues; I'm looking forward to the remaining DLCs too and I will keep playing it as long as I can. Tonight however I'm playing Overwatch - which I originally found out about when failing to find news about SWBF (can't remember what it was now).

TL;DR I agree with the OP - more communication please.
  • They do need to start hyping up Bespin. I'm excited for it, but I'd feel better knowing that EA is trying to get more people interested.
  • Anoh
    8380 posts Member

if u sick u must seeing doctor

doctor man him fix u sick

:joy: :joy: dead
    Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.
  • handcuff
    923 posts Member
    giphy_zpsofd8rtir.gif
  • Old_fella_1963
    4697 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    More baffling still is why Disney let one of their products brands suffer this lack lustre community forum and why their brand managers are not on the backs of EA for this ?
  • Trooper8059
    10199 posts Member
    Meanwhile at DICE trying to solve the bugs and work on DLC:
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Brutalizer
    254 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    I was so happy about the game when i bought it,
    but i needed more content and bought the season pass.
    Its ok, good things have their price i thought and i was so happy about having full access.
    Outer rim was released and i liked it.

I saw bugs and i reported them as my support for the game i love.
    None of them ever was tracked.
    Well, then came the first update after the release of the DLC and i thought :
    ok then, bugs may be fixed. It took long enough.
    But then i realized it all got worse,
    HvV is a cripple and totally broken in dlc,
    and they will not bring a hotfix.
    (THIS IS A BIG NONO FOR AAA TITLE)

And the playlist is just temporaly i thought but i also realized it will stay.
    It made me really upset and i became totally disappointed after all the anticipation.
    And nobody here is listening, the devs went to midsummer holiday after dlc release and never turned back it seems (and the bugfixes were done by a lonely practicant).

So all that is left for me now with this game and the season pass which i paid a good amount of money for, is:
    my right to complain in the forums,
    with all my humor, my sarcasm and my irony.
    Post edited by Brutalizer on
  • handcuff
    923 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    More baffling still is why Disney let one of their products brands suffer this lack lustre community forum and why their brand managers are not on the backs of EA for this ?

It is less baffling when one realizes that all these presumptuous conclusions are false.

Of course you are just SO much smarter from your basement than ALL those executives with ALL the relevant data and information at their fingertips.

I'm truly impressed. You should offer executive business consulting services from your home. You wouldn't even have to put down the game controller! You could easily be charging upwards of $500-800 an hour for such razor sharp business insight!
    But more importantly the game would FINALLY be working right!!
  • Tyjames
    807 posts Member

Totally agree. I think we got a pic of outer rim a few weeks prior to release so maybe this week. But it's like the community manager or whoever is in charge of promo kind of doesn't care lol. Very lack luster for promoting things or hyping things up.
  • handcuff
    923 posts Member

Totally agree. I think we got a pic of outer rim a few weeks prior to release so maybe this week. But it's like the community manager or whoever is in charge of promo kind of doesn't care lol. Very lack luster for promoting things or hyping things up.

This is the thanks he gets for providing us the info much sooner the second time around, within 2 weeks of the prior DLC release.
    After the whiners whined about not getting OR info until 2weeks prior to release, they try to satisfy you whiners by announcing the plans and info much further in advance....you all promptly forget (I'm sure it is hard to remember that stuff with all the whining that must be accomplished on a daily/hourly basis) and then start whining about how there is no "hype" leading up to the 2nd DLC........if it weren't so sad and the incessant quantity of whining such a negative thing on this forum, it would be hilarious, honestly.

If I were EA, I would honestly just shutter this forum. Reach out to a few dozen GROWN-UP members and offer to subsidize their DLC payments in return for useful feedback. It would cost them a fraction of what it costs to run this forum and they would get far more valuable return on the investment without having to waste so much time sifting through endless whining, bogus feedback, and chasing their tails trying to satisfy children that are insatiable.
  • There's devs (not mods. Devs.) And balance lead designers posting on the battle.net forums every day.

The model isn't hard to reproduce.
  • SAmulticore
    3322 posts Member
    handcuff wrote: »

This is the thanks he gets for providing us the info much sooner the second time around, within 2 weeks of the prior DLC release.
    After the whiners whined about not getting OR info until 2weeks prior to release, they try to satisfy you whiners by announcing the plans and info much further in advance....you all promptly forget (I'm sure it is hard to remember that stuff with all the whining that must be accomplished on a daily/hourly basis) and then start whining about how there is no "hype" leading up to the 2nd DLC........if it weren't so sad and the incessant quantity of whining such a negative thing on this forum, it would be hilarious, honestly.

If I were EA, I would honestly just shutter this forum. Reach out to a few dozen GROWN-UP members and offer to subsidize their DLC payments in return for useful feedback. It would cost them a fraction of what it costs to run this forum and they would get far more valuable return on the investment without having to waste so much time sifting through endless whining, bogus feedback, and chasing their tails trying to satisfy children that are insatiable.

To be fair, there's only been one whiner in this thread so far (and he get sick so him gone doctor).

Don't get me wrong, the screeching entitled kids annoy me every bit as much as they do you, but many of them are a symptom of missteps taken with this release. Everyone else here so far seems to be fairly and reasonably requesting a little more community interaction from EA, I'm not sure what part of that is upsetting you.
  • leftweet
    2216 posts Member
    Agree 100% with OP. The communication has been very lackluster on the game as a whole and it can be rather frustrating at times. This part was very poignant to me:
    There is no hype. There's a week of communication for a major content launch and then static. We're kind of in an echo chamber here and for a major title in possibly the biggest franchise in the world, full of bugs and lacking content, at the hundreds of millions of dollars we collectively dropped on it, I think we can validly ask for a bit more openness.

I get that they've likely scaled back their marketing budget. I understand that there are probably hoops upon hoops before a piece of PR is released. However, I don't think this excuses the non-existance of communication.

There are plenty if cheap(-ish) ways to promote this game. Taking a screenshot of a gun, a small section of Bespin or a part of a new ship wouldn't take that much time or resources. They could do something similar to that Stormtrooper picture they released in sections before the game's release. Take a pic of Lando's chacter model, cut it up and slowly release each section over the course of a week or two. It'd build hype and let fans go crazy on speculation.

It also wouldn't add costs to their current social media budget. Just add the screenshot with a quick phrase and schedule it in Buffer (or whatever social media planner they use).

Also, thanks for the shout-out! I come from a journalism/marketing background and so I really just enjoy helping people find information (though I do often go a little too deep into the speculation realm myself). I also enjoy this game and love Star Wars so I really wish we would get better communication from EA/DICE.
    I write things for The Star Wars Game Outpost
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    It's been a while since we had a little blip where communication from the overlords seemed to pick up here on the forums. Everyone was fairly encouraged by it, EA seemed to be taking notice of the fact that as a community we were surprised and disheartened by the frankly appalling lack of social media contribution for a AAA title in a AAA franchise from a AAA publisher.

This game was probably the most expensive I've ever bought, a big hit for a lot of gamers, and we all know it's relatively unfinished, much of what we paid for isn't here yet and we may never see a lot of Star Wars content that we'd expect at that price. With the weight of the emotional investment in the franchise that's a bit tough to take, but for most of us still here it's a fun game and we're forgiving a lot. But the radio silence is baffling.

I run and contribute to the running of a couple of online businesses. Tiny ones compared to EA, insignificant even, but if I was running social media here we'd have an extra community manager on the official forum. User @leftweet is doing a lot of that for you. We'd have seen a Bespin skyline. A silhouette of Lando, a voice clip even. We'd have an official voice telling us that HvV issues are nearly cleared up, that FS is being fixed. I'd be building hype.

Can a mod with a line to EA discuss this with someone? I'm not a lone voice in this, in fact many of the voices are a lot more frustrated than mine. You've heard them, or at least the mods have. I follow Creative Assembly for the TW games, and those guys will get my preorders all day. Because I know what I'm getting. Because the screenshot teases, the podcasts, the live streamed dev chats, the willingness to engage with the community is first rate. Can you guys just up that side of your game a bit?

They're too busy counting money to have anything to do with us, but thanks for writing this anyway. What a pathetic company.
    41st Forum Fury Battalion Member
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member

Dude, you ARE EA.
  • briandt75 wrote: »

Dude, you ARE EA.

Tell me about it. This guy will agree with everything EA does and even pretty much implies that if he were EA he would ignore everyone except a select few which he would actually subsidize the price of DLC for them. In one comment he's outed himself as a EA apologist, a corrupt business man and a person who lacks the ability to formulate his own opinion.
  • Aeralure
    478 posts Member
    I post here because I really like the game, despite many flaws and shortcomings, and feel it could/would be better/great if they addressed them. Some are seemingly urgent and obvious like bugs and netcode, while others are missed opportunities and many improvements/features, or the addition of missing options. Things you would think they would do, but I'm beginning to feel like they are kinda phoning it in and focusing already on the next one.

It would help a lot for confidence in the next game if they addressed the most glaring things and had a few more official comments about non-DLC updates and fixes (the DLC is paid for and therefore expected). I'd post to Twitter but I can only imagine how many posts devs have to read there. I'm sure they just browse and see a few. Feels like a shotgun approach really so I'm not sure what, if anything, is the best to do really.
  • Did you guys know that we got a community challenge over two hours ago? I certainly didn't. Excellent communication from DICE.
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    EA and DICE..... SUCK

Well said OP
    Agree with everything you said.

Unfortunately people like us (sumptiz and i) are beyond reason. Haters, trolls, call us whatever. We are just players who had enough. We felt betrayed, scammed, and unheard. I have read countless posts asking sound questions with respect but never any responses.

My patience has all but dwindled away. Maybe if they showed us a little more respect or treated us like customers who they care about.
    Why does everything have to be a secret?
    I can only ask so many times with a good attitude. After being ignored countless times, I loose my positive outlook...
    briandt75 wrote: »

Dude, you ARE EA.

+ 1 Hue
  • leftweet
    2216 posts Member
    Did you guys know that we got a community challenge over two hours ago? I certainly didn't. Excellent communication from DICE.

It really drives home the point. The mission started a couple of hours ago, but it hasn't been published on any of EA Star Wars' social media accounts and I think the article was actually posted after the mission technically began.
    I write things for The Star Wars Game Outpost
  • SAmulticore
    3322 posts Member
    leftweet wrote: »
    Also, thanks for the shout-out! I come from a journalism/marketing background and so I really just enjoy helping people find information (though I do often go a little too deep into the speculation realm myself). I also enjoy this game and love Star Wars so I really wish we would get better communication from EA/DICE.

No problem mate, you're doing a great job filling in some of the blanks. I'm in marketing/advertising myself and write copy for a few businesses, so I think we come from a similar place professionally.

Gaming's just part of my downtime so although I don't get too crazy about games in general, when it comes to Star Wars it is frustrating to see so many missed opportunities knowing that the result will be dead servers for a game that so nearly made it. Especially when it's blindingly obvious to anyone with even a hint of marketing clout that the brand has taken an almighty battering and needs attention.

• SAmulticore
    3322 posts Member
    Did you guys know that we got a community challenge over two hours ago? I certainly didn't. Excellent communication from DICE.

Lawdamercy...
  • shaundobson
    1899 posts Member

It is less baffling when one realizes that all these presumptuous conclusions are false.

Of course you are just SO much smarter from your basement than ALL those executives with ALL the relevant data and information at their fingertips.

I'm truly impressed. You should offer executive business consulting services from your home. You wouldn't even have to put down the game controller! You could easily be charging upwards of $500-800 an hour for such razor sharp business insight!
    But more importantly the game would FINALLY be working right!!

Stop your whining.

That's all you do whine about people whining.

Do you work for EA?
  • On total war forums you get conversations with creative assembly.Why cant this forum try harder to communicate with us.Come on we wont bite.If you throw us a bone.
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    EA and DICE..... SUCK

Well said OP

Unfortunately people like us (sumptiz and i) are beyond reason. Haters, trolls, call us whatever. We are just players who had enough. We felt betrayed, scammed, and unheard. I have read countless posts asking sound questions with respect but never any responses.

My patience has all but dwindled away. Maybe if they showed us a little more respect or treated us like customers who they care about.
    I can only ask so many times with a good attitude. After being ignored countless times, I loose my positive outlook...

Dude, you ARE EA.

+ 1 Hue

Well said, Web. This game is a hot mess, and a lot more mess than hot.
  • Anoh
    8380 posts Member
    Webn8tr_ wrote: »
    EA and DICE..... SUCK

Well said OP

Dude, you ARE EA.

+ 1 Hue

Well said, Web. This game is a hot mess, and a lot more mess than hot.

+1
    Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.
  • Alan_Ackbar
    3062 posts Member
    The communication is absolutely abysmal. Don't understand all the secrecy.
    Official member of The Second Hand Club™

Proceed with the countdown!

giphy.gif
  • DarthJ
    6330 posts Member
    Well said OP, completely agree 100%! Everything I think basically.

Its come to something when @leftweet (who is a great guy for doing what he does) is having to sift through information on various social media channels to then feed it to the forum members - this should be done by the comms manager or someone from DICE! Beyond belief.

I marvel at the lack of communication we get, never saw anything like it. I was willing to defend this game but now we get ignored again and again I can't do it anymore. The communication is appalling.
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • DarthJ
    6330 posts Member
    We will get a bit of comms round Bespin but thats it until the death star dlc!
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • Webn8tr_
    3145 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    DarthJ wrote: »
    Well said OP, completely agree 100%! Everything I think basically.

Its come to something when @leftweet (who is a great guy for doing what he does) is having to sift through information on various social media channels to then feed it to the forum members - this should be done by the comms manager or someone from DICE! Beyond belief.

I marvel at the lack of communication we get, never saw anything like it. I was willing to defend this game but now we get ignored again and again I can't do it anymore. The communication is appalling.

This^

Make leftweet a mod!!!
    HueHue