criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Will Fighter Squadron be fixed?

I was just wondering if people think that having the Rebel lasers become weaker when you have your shields on is going to fix Fighter Squadron.
I'm skeptical because I think most people save their shields for when someone has locked on to them.
I guess it will stop the rebels from going into the spawn area with their shields up and shooting down newly arriving Imperials. But will that be enough?
Also, when they increase the winning score from 200 to 400, if they haven't solved the lopsidedness problem, it seems likely that even more people will quit when they're on the Imperial side because before. At least now if you're losing as the Imperials, you know the game will be over in five minutes and you'd be able to fly as the Rebels. I don't know if people will put up with getting blasted out of the sky for 10 or 15 minutes.

Replies

• himajin wrote: »
    I was just wondering if people think that having the Rebel lasers become weaker when you have your shields on is going to fix Fighter Squadron.
    I'm skeptical because I think most people save their shields for when someone has locked on to them.
    I guess it will stop the rebels from going into the spawn area with their shields up and shooting down newly arriving Imperials. But will that be enough?
    Also, when they increase the winning score from 200 to 400, if they haven't solved the lopsidedness problem, it seems likely that even more people will quit when they're on the Imperial side because before. At least now if you're losing as the Imperials, you know the game will be over in five minutes and you'd be able to fly as the Rebels. I don't know if people will put up with getting blasted out of the sky for 10 or 15 minutes.

I feel like 400 will be too long, 300 is probably a good spot and is a much nicer number for game score anyway. As for the balance it'll remain to be seen how much it helps, it should a bit, if not Dennis said they'd be looking into fixing it more, so we'll get there :smile:
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    I've been saying that if they simply make the imperials speed boost act as a shield ram, doing critical damage to rebel ships, but minimal damage to yourself, that would fix most of the imbalance.
    41st Forum Fury Battalion Member
  • ThirdDegreePun
    1992 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    briandt75 wrote: »
    I've been saying that if they simply make the imperials speed boost act as a shield ram, doing critical damage to rebel ships, but minimal damage to yourself, that would fix most of the imbalance.

That'd be interesting. The speed boost is almost useless at present. Maybe if there were places you needed to go (like if you had to destroy tibanna gas cannisters as the empire, or had a CTF style mode) it'd have a use but it does nothing for you in a dogfight. especially when you can't disable it early.

• Dennis said they'd be looking into fixing it more, so we'll get there :smile:

The game's been out for eight months. They have play testers. They have a huge development budget. Other companies put out games that are basically balanced when they're released and require only minor tweaks. Dennis needs to get his finger out.
  • himajin wrote: »

Dennis said they'd be looking into fixing it more, so we'll get there :smile:

The game's been out for eight months. They have play testers. They have a huge development budget. Other companies put out games that are basically balanced when they're released and require only minor tweaks. Dennis needs to get his finger out.

Regrettably FS has been quite overlooked, and whilst most patches have involved some ship tweaks it still doesn't seem fair. It's hard to judge what's balanced and what's just skill discrepancy and complaining and they don't want to over-nerf anything, so I guess we'll just have to see how it goes. It's been confirmed there's a post Bespin patch coming as well as Guillaume wants to fix something which makes Dengar's explosive rush too powerful (throws out 2 too many bombs, it's only meant to do one in front and two to the side), I'll wager that if it's still not right with the Bespin Patch that'll bring it pretty much right, only time will tell though!
  • Trooper8059
    10197 posts Member
    The problem in general is the shield. It saves the rebels skin almost every time. Not to mention that they have more powerful weapons due to someone's clumsy speed balancing decision.

My suggestion would be to make the shield work like the movies, only focused on one direction, the front or back. This way, the opportunity to shoot the rebels is still possible.

Along with this, good piloting skills should be a factor. As it stands now, you can hold a lock on someone for too long, I think the beta had it perfect, as you had to have your reticle dead on the target to get the lock. Not to mention the shots would land almost every time.

Along with that, I'd like to see speed not play a factor in blaster power. I want to fly fast, have some intense dogfights where I'm skimming the ground going super fast. Like the trailers advertised...

Taking out this mechanic in general would,
    A: Make dogfights last longer.
    B: Allow more thrilling fights, unlike the near-hovering fights done by the majority of players.
    PSN: Trooper8059
    "Remember: Your focus determines your reality."
    ezgif_5_a643336582.gif
  • Sb2432
    2605 posts Member
    himajin wrote: »

Regrettably FS has been quite overlooked, and whilst most patches have involved some ship tweaks it still doesn't seem fair. It's hard to judge what's balanced and what's just skill discrepancy and complaining and they don't want to over-nerf anything, so I guess we'll just have to see how it goes. It's been confirmed there's a post Bespin patch coming as well as Guillaume wants to fix something which makes Dengar's explosive rush too powerful (throws out 2 too many bombs, it's only meant to do one in front and two to the side), I'll wager that if it's still not right with the Bespin Patch that'll bring it pretty much right, only time will tell though!

Well if rebels win 99% of the time, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with skill :p until they make speed boost actually do something, game mode will forever be imbalanced, and Jesus who thought speed boost and shields were equivalent? I gotta slap that guy!
  • Sb2432 wrote: »

Well if rebels win 99% of the time, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with skill :p until they make speed boost actually do something, game mode will forever be imbalanced, and Jesus who thought speed boost and shields were equivalent? I gotta slap that guy!

well that'd be canon for the vehicles, although it doesn't make good comparitive gameplay when speed at getting somewhere isn't an advantage. If you could land your Tie somewhere and get out maybe, or if you couldn't be locked onto whilst moving that speed, maybe...
  • Sb2432
    2605 posts Member
    Sb2432 wrote: »

well that'd be canon for the vehicles, although it doesn't make good comparitive gameplay when speed at getting somewhere isn't an advantage. If you could land your Tie somewhere and get out maybe, or if you couldn't be locked onto whilst moving that speed, maybe...

Well, they way combat system is set up, rebel will win 1v1 Everytime thanks to shield and all ships have aimbot, so if you think about it, imperials are set to fail as they don't have a shield and there's an aimbot aerial combat system.
  • First I have heard of this change. Do I think it will make a difference? Nope, and here is why.

In a dogfight you are either in an offensive or a defensive posture. As soon as I get locked on, I go defensive. The shield goes up, and I turn hard into the attacker. I'm no longer shooting at someone, I am evading a pursuer. Normally you can't just sit on someone and blast away without your pursuer throwing missiles at you, which the shield doesn't help with.

Best solution is still having the Tie speed boost break the laser lock, but have the torpedoes still able to lock and fire, and missiles already in the air are not affected in any way. This would allow both rebels and imperials to evade laser fire with their special ability for the same amount of time, while still being vulnerable to missiles. The result would be much more balanced. Rebels would still have a slight advantage in head on passes. Since blaster power increases with tie speed boost, there would still be balance there. Imps would be better at offense, and rebels better at defense. Different but fair.

@FireWall , seriously take a look at this solution. It doesn't break canon and would be much more fair than we currently have. The Imbalancing needs to finally be fixed. People are growing tired of the constant blowout.
  • Speed boost very useful! Use it offensively. It puts your blasters at full strength. And I can't find any confirmation of this, but I am pretty sure it allows damage to rebel ships even with shields active. I have been able to take down A-wings with shields up once I hit speed boost
  • SngleCoil wrote: »
    Speed boost very useful! Use it offensively. It puts your blasters at full strength. And I can't find any confirmation of this, but I am pretty sure it allows damage to rebel ships even with shields active. I have been able to take down A-wings with shields up once I hit speed boost

It doesn't puncture shields. You just happen to fire at them as the shield is wearing off. I constantly use the speed boost offensively, and am 100% sure.
  • First I have heard of this change. Do I think it will make a difference? Nope, and here is why.

In a dogfight you are either in an offensive or a defensive posture. As soon as I get locked on, I go defensive. The shield goes up, and I turn hard into the attacker. I'm no longer shooting at someone, I am evading a pursuer. Normally you can't just sit on someone and blast away without your pursuer throwing missiles at you, which the shield doesn't help with.

Best solution is still having the Tie speed boost break the laser lock, but have the torpedoes still able to lock and fire, and missiles already in the air are not affected in any way. This would allow both rebels and imperials to evade laser fire with their special ability for the same amount of time, while still being vulnerable to missiles. The result would be much more balanced. Rebels would still have a slight advantage in head on passes. Since blaster power increases with tie speed boost, there would still be balance there. Imps would be better at offense, and rebels better at defense. Different but fair.

@FireWall , seriously take a look at this solution. It doesn't break canon and would be much more fair than we currently have. The Imbalancing needs to finally be fixed. People are growing tired of the constant blowout.

Best part is breaking lock with a speed boost should actually be quite an easy thing to implement, just add on a similar jammer effect and hey we're there! I fully think this is the best solution to improving speed boost and to keeping it even!
  • Anoh
    8379 posts Member
    Will the hitbox issue be fixed ?
    Editor/Cinematographer - Anoh is pronounced: AhNo.
  • SngleCoil wrote: »
    Speed boost very useful! Use it offensively. It puts your blasters at full strength. And I can't find any confirmation of this, but I am pretty sure it allows damage to rebel ships even with shields active. I have been able to take down A-wings with shields up once I hit speed boost

It doesn't puncture shields. You just happen to fire at them as the shield is wearing off. I constantly use the speed boost offensively, and am 100% sure.

That's what I though was happening too...but then I saw multiple times when I had lined up behind an A-wing, locked, he/she popped their shield up, I immediately hit speed boost and still tore right through them with blasters. I'll have to record it next time to get a closer look.
  • Anoh wrote: »
    Will the hitbox issue be fixed ?

Let's hope...but on the other hand, how many times has it saved you and you didn't realize it ;)
  • briandt75
    5610 posts Member
    briandt75 wrote: »

I'm tired of typing the same things over and over, so I'm just gonna quote myself.
    41st Forum Fury Battalion Member
  • I just don't think they will do that because it isn't canon. Ties are not known for their structural integrity. Ties would start ramming T-47's constantly if this was implemented when they use jammer.
  • Soul_Phoenix_42
    483 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    I don't see this update balancing fighter squadron at all. Rebels deploy shields because they are being chased, and no one shoot things whilst an enemy is on their tail... It just isn't going to change anything.

Here's what they should do:

REBEL SHIELD REDUCES ENEMY LASER DAMAGE BY HALF. Simple.

Easy fix to implement. Doesn't alter the intended design of the dogfights. Allows a imp pilot to pursue and get a deserved kill but for a rebel pilot to still have a layer of protection while trying to shake their tail.

Also,

ADJUST HERO TOKEN TIMINGS.

If say the imps are loosing by a certain margin after 1/3 of the way through the match, then the Slave 1 token should appear for them first for a while to give them a window of opportunity. The falcon's token appearance is then delayed by a minute.

These are nice, quick fixes that would balance things out dramatically without altering any of the intended game play design.
  • JcDarkKnight
    320 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Let's just say that those Rebel scum won't be doing much damage while they have their cowardly shields on ;)

Lol and where is the you ain't got powers guy at?
  • Sbroffage
    737 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    I'll take a cloud car over any TIE in Bespin xD
    Faster than TIEs (confirmed during the livestream), with jammer and torpedoes.
  • Personally I don't hold out too much hope for FS fixes. ...seems like an unwanted child.